Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Timby posted:

I imagine MLB is still a little nervous about Vegas just because of the sport's history of gambling scandals, but to their credit they let the NFL and NHL float test balloons without incident thus far.

Portland isn't going to happen, the Mariners have those territorial rights and they would raise holy hell.

Nashville is an odd outlier and not a city I'd seen come up in conversation before last year. The Braves have the rights to that area at the moment, but I could see the Rays potentially relocating there.
If the expansion fees match the rumors, you'll have 28 other owners happy to discuss adjustments to make Seattle and the Barves whole through revenue sharing and other means. It's why they're tabbed as expansion rather than relocation markets (because the Mets see no benefit from Oakland moving to Portland, for instance). MLBPA ought to greenlight the midCBA adjustment because 52(80) roster spots is a big win.

MLB has not acted like gambling is a meaningful risk in any of their check cashing activity in the past few years, so I'm skeptical that's actually the holdup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Paracaidas posted:

MLB has not acted like gambling is a meaningful risk in any of their check cashing activity in the past few years, so I'm skeptical that's actually the holdup.

I'm guessing their biggest and only real fear is a situation where you have to consider attendance/infrastructure issues that would necessitate relocation/contraction down the road.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

Rob Manfred

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
I can see it going to Verlander, don't think he's had it before

or Judge again, Mauer had it twice so it's not unheard of

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Pujols is another possibility. Or Miggy, did he ever get a cover? Jr. was '17 so it's been awhile since they did a legacy guy.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Pujols had it back in the day.

I vote for Texas Ranger ace Jake deGrom.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Judge would be the obvious choice if he hadn't already been on the cover a couple years ago. Julio maybe?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Pena over Rodriguez, if only because way more people know who Pena. But it'll be neither. Put Shohei on it as a pitcher this year.

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

lol

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
How often does a league MVP/Cy Young winner get the cover?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It was Jr. in '17, Judge in '18, Bryce in '19, Javy in '20 (lol), Tatis in '21, and Shohei in 2022. So, not terribly often.

e: lol Josh Donaldson in '16, Puig in '15, maybe I don't want Yordan on the cover

e2: miggy was '14, Cutch in '13,

zoux fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jan 9, 2023

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Should be Julio

Coming off an electrical rooke year plus the HR derby

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

zoux posted:

e: lol Josh Donaldson in '16

In fairness, Donaldson's 2015 and 2016 seasons were otherworldly.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

zoux posted:

Pena over Rodriguez, if only because way more people know who Pena. But it'll be neither. Put Shohei on it as a pitcher this year.

Assuming Peña is way better known than Julio is a stretch, Julio’s coming out party at the Home Run Derby was pretty insane and he won Rookie of the Year. I’d say Julio has a better shot if only because he doesn’t share a team with Alvarez.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

If Dave Stewart and Don Mattingly have any sway in the direction of your baseball organization, I feel very sorry for it, already.
The Diamondbacks are still digging out from Stewart's damage and Donny Baseball is who he is.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

zoux posted:

It was Jr. in '17, Judge in '18, Bryce in '19, Javy in '20 (lol), Tatis in '21, and Shohei in 2022. So, not terribly often.

e: lol Josh Donaldson in '16, Puig in '15, maybe I don't want Yordan on the cover

e2: miggy was '14, Cutch in '13,

uhhh Mike Trout???

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Nope.

lmao at canadian The Show

Aaron Sanchez???

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
mike trout is the official spokesman of the other chart topping game RBI Baseball

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

put Cal Raleigh on IMO

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Jazz Chisholm

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Eric Hosmer

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

If your girlfriend says hey to me that's our girlfriend now idc

zoux posted:

Nope.

lmao at canadian The Show

Aaron Sanchez???

He went 15-2 and won the 2016 AL ERA title! And then proceeded to never really be good/healthy again.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Gobias Ind. posted:

He went 15-2 and won the 2016 AL ERA title! And then proceeded to never really be good/healthy again.

Astros Legend Aaron Sanchez threw a combined no hitter on his first appearance as an Astro and then went back to sucking, was nontendered, and hit Altuve in a game this year and he almost got into a fight with him this year.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

How does Nashville feel about sideburns?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

tadashi posted:

If Dave Stewart and Don Mattingly have any sway in the direction of your baseball organization, I feel very sorry for it, already.
The Diamondbacks are still digging out from Stewart's damage and Donny Baseball is who he is.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Put Christopher Morel on the cover.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

BigDumper posted:

Assuming Peña is way better known than Julio is a stretch, Julio’s coming out party at the Home Run Derby was pretty insane and he won Rookie of the Year. I’d say Julio has a better shot if only because he doesn’t share a team with Alvarez.

Is RotY more impressive or less impressive than WS MVP :colbert:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

We polled 5000 MLB players to find out and guess what every single one of them said they'd rather win

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Gobias Ind. posted:

I got his jersey after he went 8 innings of 2 run ball in 2015 vs the Astros thinking the sky was the limit. One of the biggest victims of the 2017 blister scandal when they supposedly changed the baseballs.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

bawfuls posted:

This morning in a Dodgers discord I think I realized I'm becoming our mcmagic. All these people were theorycrafting ways the Dodgers could shed money to get under the luxury tax this year, and talking themselves into all the injured older guys bouncing back while all the prospects produce immediately. I'm in the middle of it yelling this is bullshit, they should be better than this!

That's like the opposite of mcmagic

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Seth McClung

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Paracaidas posted:

If the expansion fees match the rumors, you'll have 28 other owners happy to discuss adjustments to make Seattle and the Barves whole through revenue sharing and other means. It's why they're tabbed as expansion rather than relocation markets (because the Mets see no benefit from Oakland moving to Portland, for instance). MLBPA ought to greenlight the midCBA adjustment because 52(80) roster spots is a big win.

Yeah, Nashville is fair game and it's more or less smack dab between St. Louis and Atlanta so they're probably 1c behind Vegas, and Portland- which won't get a team anytime soon, not because of the Mariners but their issue going back to the early 90's expansion is a 100% lack of desire to pay for an MLB priced ballpark. Throw Charlotte, San Antonio, and for old times sake Montreal (Same stadium issue as Portland) into the hat as the next generation of "Build me a stadium or I'm moving to ____" and it's a solid field, maybe got for the comedy option of adding a second MLB team in LA. As has been said Tampa and Oakland both need some leverage to handle their current issues but once they both get their ballparks done I doubt it's even a year until MLB goes into expansion mode. Maybe 2029 to join the draft and field their first minor league affiliates for a 2030 debut season?

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Seth McClung

Seth McClung account spotted

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

https://twitter.com/RiverAveBlues/status/1612555137200934924?s=20&t=gjs4yCp-Tv0oypIfboFbwg

This sucks. He actually got better as he got more used to the role as the season went on. Lol if they kept Beltran but got rid of Maybin.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Cameron Maybin was part of the Cubs Marquee Network last year for like a week. Not sure if he was let go or he left to go to the Yankees.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Cameron Maybin gave everyone in the US a free taco, what else can we ask of the man?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

ihatepants posted:

This sucks. He actually got better as he got more used to the role as the season went on. Lol if they kept Beltran but got rid of Maybin.

They want Beltran to move into the studio, apparently. Which I could see working, him and A-Rod just never stop talking when they don't have a good prompt, but they do have interesting things to say when they do.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

No Safe Word posted:

Cameron Maybin gave everyone in the US a free taco, what else can we ask of the man?

To call an uber next time?

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

This post should've had a trigger warning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Joe West