Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Tbh i feel like the ideal venue for that stuff is a merch booth at a metal show. Figure out who organizes those in your town and show them those pictures and clean the gently caress up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
So my daughter and I were browsing the craft book section of Barnes and Noble and came across the goofiest book I've ever seen: A book about how to knit birds: https://www.amazon.com/Carlos-Field-Guide-Knitted-Birds/dp/1570768234 We left the store but I ended up going back and getting it because I like birds and I guess I could learn how to knit in the process. Took a one hour lesson from a woman who runs a yarn shop in town and dove right into knitting in the round and came out with this bad rear end janky bird. (you can tell he is badass because of the three X's on the chest) All in all, took about 15-20 hours of knitting because I'm slow as piss and also because this book wants you to do all sorts of weird poo poo I had to constantly google. Then I had to learn to crochet to do the beak... This is on top of the month of trial and error in basic knitting techniques and constantly going back to the yarn shop to ask the woman if I was loving it up.

I've done all sorts of arts and crafts over the years, but knitting has definitely been the hardest thing I've ever done.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
That bird kicks rear end

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009

Deadite posted:

It’s LED, it’s called LED Neon Flex and so far I haven’t been able to find a product I’m completely satisfied with.
Have you seen this stuff? Might be more hassle than it’s worth but when I saw it I thought of your cool signs.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004000431006.html - not a seller recommendation just the first one that came up.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
First of all, that bird is cool and that's incredible for a first project. Second, knitting gets way weirder, you are at the very tippy-top ice cube on the glacier of weirdness

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
Jesus Christ wtf. I just threw away all my needles and yarn.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

poemdexter posted:

Jesus Christ wtf. I just threw away all my needles and yarn.

It's too late, knit your own boyfriend has already seen you.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.

this rules

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
It's pretty cool artwork!
https://noortjedekeijzer.com/portfolio/my-knitted-boyfriend/
https://vimeo.com/39497405

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I put together my hand me down table saw and just kinda goofed around with my miter saw, table saw, and Kreg jig to tool around and get ready to make some shelves next week. It makes my brain feel real good.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
Finished a project yesterday, putting a drop-leaf desk in the guesthouse which my wife is now using as a full-time WFH office. I had wanted to do it for a while, but needed to solve how to finish the edge of the maple plywood which kept stalling me. Then I got a woodworker's source flyer with a sale on hard maple so I bit. Got 3 boards 9' long that all ended up at just about 8" wide after straightening both sides. Glued em up last weekend

Spend the week putting layers of wipe-on poly on them while I installed the brackets

I thought my number of hinges and leaf supports was overkill but I like how solid it turned out-- I don't think I would have liked the result going with less, the rockler reviews of the hinges mentioned "a little play" and that's not an understatement.

Extended it's just about 24" deep

And if I need to drop the murphy bed on the opposite wall, it becomes a tidy little floating shelf ~15" deep.

Pretty happy with how it turned out.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Nice work, it looks great!

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Been making stone tools. My first attempts at an axe and Adze. Next up is an attempt at a Hawaiian style basalt Adze on Hau wood and hau cordage.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

that's very cool

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

tangy yet delightful posted:

that's very cool sharp

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

Mercury Ballistic posted:

Been making stone tools. My first attempts at an axe and Adze. Next up is an attempt at a Hawaiian style basalt Adze on Hau wood and hau cordage.

Interesting! Do you have any projects planned for using them?

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
I have had a tentative success with a little home brew project

Managed to brew up a 5.25% Abv ginger beer that is pasturised and a bit fizzy

It's a touch too sweet, like super low fizzy liqueur, but enjoyable enough to work through over a few weeks,(soda water?) and cheap enough to give it a second crack

I've also sewn the garden with 20 ginger roots to eliminate the most expensive ingredient in a few months

This is a bit of a long term project to make a decent drinkable, alcoholic beverage recipe and to scale up and do a large enough batch to not have to buy beers for the better part of a year

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Jestery posted:

I have had a tentative success with a little home brew project

Managed to brew up a 5.25% Abv ginger beer that is pasturised and a bit fizzy

It's a touch too sweet, like super low fizzy liqueur, but enjoyable enough to work through over a few weeks,(soda water?) and cheap enough to give it a second crack

I've also sewn the garden with 20 ginger roots to eliminate the most expensive ingredient in a few months

This is a bit of a long term project to make a decent drinkable, alcoholic beverage recipe and to scale up and do a large enough batch to not have to buy beers for the better part of a year

Neat. Homebrewing is quite fun and also relatively easy to get into until you start making weird beers (and/or other fermented beverages). There's a homebrewing thread in GWS if you need technical help or advice: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3437782

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

There’s even a homebrew emote: :homebrew:

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
Oh Neato

I don't enjoy beer enough to brew it

But a lightly fizzy , alcoholic beverage that is palatable to beloved and I seems good enough to keep making

Jestery fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Dec 9, 2022

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
You can also homebrew Brigalow concentrate in a can, they have Apple Cider and Ginger Beer mixes.
The cider is dry as gently caress and the ginger beer isn't very strong, but they're cheap, wet, and alcoholic.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Made some serving trays as Christmas presents for the in-laws:

Walnut with maple inlays and splines because some of the miters were truly :negative:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Walnut and maple is my all time favorite combo. They look great!

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Thank you! And yeah, that's a truly classic combo. Easily the most frequent pairing I use.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Cross-posting the first of a few "vintage electronics display case" projects I have planned:

Trabant posted:

I made a display case for my mini-collection of 1984 Seiko Pyramid Talking Clocks:

https://i.imgur.com/FFvnZNW.mp4

Attempt was made at an artsier reveal:

https://i.imgur.com/foWUrAG.mp4

I'll (eventually) upload a video about the clocks and the case construction for anyone else who's also into... impractical clocks and woodworking?

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

That looks really slick!

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Thank you! I waffled about adding lights but I think it worked out pretty well. It forced me to learn a couple of new things and ultimately adds a lot of d r a m a to the appearance.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Spent a few days during Christmas making a sort of sculpture.

Face is paper.

Big wires are a broken audio cable mixed with some rubber bands I bought in a craft store.

Robot eye is an old Soviet lense I bought on eBay years ago but arrived broken.

Flesh eye is a wooden ball I made years ago for when I made a "biblically accurate Angel" for a video.

Teeth are teeth.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jan 6, 2023

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
f̵̬͎̖̹͗̔r̸̢̛̻̦͎̹̜̱͙̺͔̟̣̺̠̖̎̎̇͛̎͒ͅï̵̢͎͎̩͈̩̬̞̬̤̯̠̼͍̖̥̲͂͛͋̓̈́̕͠ͅè̸̢̜̤̠̩̬̖̟̣̼̓͌̄͂̀̋͋̀́͋̊̍͒̃͘͜͝͝͠ͅn̷̨̨̺͙͚̣̬̞͚̜̣͕̘̞̞͓͛͊͌͘͜d̵̨̯̮̞̣̰͈̜̠̣͊͌̄̂?̷̢͉͚͇͍̗͍̀̓̏̓͘̕͘͝

That's terrifying and awesome!

Post your pojects:

FreudianSlippers posted:

Teeth are teeth.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
That’s really gross. Good job

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

BigFactory posted:

That’s really gross. Good job

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
Finally finished out some built-in bunk beds for the family river house. The rails still need staining, but my mom's been taking care of that.

The bottom rails and the ladder are removable, so that my brother can keep his young kids (2 and 5) from climbing up when they shouldn't, and older kids who don't need the bottom rail can get in and out of the bottom bunk easier.

The niche they're built into is a non-standard mattress size 30"x72", but it'll still work great for kids and shorter adults.

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012
Those look really good. The reading lights are a nice touch.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Lord Awkward posted:

Those look really good. The reading lights are a nice touch.

They've got USB ports in the bottom too, which I'm sure my nieces and nephews will love.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
Couldn't find a painting thread but in the last couple months I took some local fun classes & it's been pretty great :) got a starter paint kit, some brushes & a 6 pack of canvases (14"x14"), so far here's what I've made for me & some friends/family

(work in progress)

Lately I've been leaning toward astronomy stuff, I'm planning to do a painting of this awesome ISS moon photo next:

LifeSunDeath posted:

it's such an awesome shot

Dunno what it is but something about painting is so relaxing & satisfying :)

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I'm expecting painting and drawing threads to be in the creative convention subforum, if you're still looking.

Not that you're not welcome here. I like the black hole.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Flipperwaldt posted:

I'm expecting painting and drawing threads to be in the creative convention subforum, if you're still looking.

Not that you're not welcome here. I like the black hole.

Thanks :) I'll definitely check those other subs, they sound right up my alley

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
I made some rectangles on the living room wall. Also painted, got a new TV, and moved some stuff around:

Before, with bad lighting, paint samples on the wall, and various junk piled against the wall:

After, on a sunny day, cleanup still pending but better organized: