Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

As I said in the post, the way we want to have it requires use of the mod.

If it requires a mod then you need to get everyone on board. I don't think there's a technical way to enforce mods on people, its a people problem.

The thunderstore page for that mod is pretty sparse so I can't tell if it works client-side only. If it does require server install then you just have to do that and talk everyone into install the mod on their systems.

How tall are you planning to make your tower? With a non-modded earth pile + max height iron beams you'll already be so high that the ground starts to lose detail rendering. If you mod it super duper tall you'll just have a view of a featureless terrain and the sky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Okay thanks. I'll do some testing and see how high we can build it with just the beams. That may be enough.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Okay thanks. I'll do some testing and see how high we can build it with just the beams. That may be enough.

If you want it as tall as vanilla will let you make sure to make a silly looking pillar to start from:

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
Anyone beat the boss yet and what were your loadouts? My group of 3 just had our first go around but someone had to drop so we rainchecked, we were doing pretty ok chipping away with Frost Staff + Bonemass but it was going to take awhile at the rate we were going.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

AccountSupervisor posted:

Anyone beat the boss yet and what were your loadouts? My group of 3 just had our first go around but someone had to drop so we rainchecked, we were doing pretty ok chipping away with Frost Staff + Bonemass but it was going to take awhile at the rate we were going.

Just did it yesterday as a group of 4. We did 3 mages, 2 of which were spamming shield, and all of which were spamming fire staff as much as possible. We summoned skeletons at the start but the eitr demands for shields and fireballs kept us from re-summoning. The 4th was running mistlands melee gear, I think a frost sword and carapace shield. We had bonemass on at least 3 of us so we kept it on the whole fight. We had one wipe but if we did it again we would probably all make it through alive.

Detail spoilers:
The fireball's AOE was critical in quickly clearing the shitloads of seekers and broods she summons. Bulk damage on the queen herself just takes time and patience but isn't that bad.

Hilariously there was some bug that happened when we wiped and the queen glitched through the dungeon entrance and appeared outside. Luckily this queen dungeon was located at one of the biggest mist clearings I've seen so the remaining portion of the fight was pretty easy.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

AccountSupervisor posted:

Solo, running mostly fire staff and life staff. The frost staff does better damage to her, but as a solo you need to clear adds and kite constantly and the fire staff is much better for that. You can reapply the shield solo while slow falling to a lower platform which makes an otherwise long and frenetic fight kinda comfy. Honestly, the most hazardous part is the slow degradation of the arena, since the stairs can break and the light sources as well.

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.
I did it yesterday with a group of 3 without any real prep or research into the fight and it was mostly us huddling in the entrance popping out and shooting ice staff.
I was shooting fireballs into the wall to hit her and keeping the shield up on everyone. When the 3 or so seekers would spawn we'd fall back clean them up and spread again to go after her.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

Just did it yesterday as a group of 4. We did 3 mages, 2 of which were spamming shield, and all of which were spamming fire staff as much as possible. We summoned skeletons at the start but the eitr demands for shields and fireballs kept us from re-summoning. The 4th was running mistlands melee gear, I think a frost sword and carapace shield. We had bonemass on at least 3 of us so we kept it on the whole fight. We had one wipe but if we did it again we would probably all make it through alive.

Detail spoilers:
The fireball's AOE was critical in quickly clearing the shitloads of seekers and broods she summons. Bulk damage on the queen herself just takes time and patience but isn't that bad.

Hilariously there was some bug that happened when we wiped and the queen glitched through the dungeon entrance and appeared outside. Luckily this queen dungeon was located at one of the biggest mist clearings I've seen so the remaining portion of the fight was pretty easy.

I was the melee guy in this group and I gotta say it's my favorite boss fight in the game. Didn't feel overly spongy, kept us moving around, and was really a cut above the rest of the bosses. And that's before the glitch in the spoilers which really took it to another level and would have made for a sick-rear end phase 2 if intentional.

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
also did it yesterday. group of 4, 3 of us running mist walker and 1 running blood/fire magic I guess (idk how the Magic system works but he has skeletons and shoots fireballs). we all had bonemass, makes the fight pretty reasonable. had to break at one point to repair swords but wasn't too bad overall.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
The current random seed I am playing through fresh (5unnbjGxwy) is probably the best one I have experienced for ease of use and natural beauty/coolness. Lots of big landmasses, navigable rivers and channels, pretty tightly packed for bosses as well. Bonus, the trader ended up being on the starter island which I have never seen before. Starter island also has silver and frost caves lol

Found Moder sailing around where my Elder spawn was, it's the biggest mountain I have ever seen in game and now my plains base (formerly a fuling village that took up like 70% of the valley) has the best view in a serene little pocket of plains nestled between mountain on three sides and black forest on the other side. I don't even know if I will bother with walls since I tamed 3 herds of Lox along the outskirts of the area (though they are now wandering into my crops so...). Also randomly found Yalguth exploring around the mountain base lol

My swamp base can be reached by walking from spawn (there is a small river that takes like 10 seconds to swim across) and has nice wide rivers to sail all around. Base was requisitioned from a perfectly placed Draugr village. The 'lake' is fully ocean so I spent my nights hunting serpents waiting for ore to process. The lake to the southwest is also ocean, so very safe serpent 'fishing'!

Once I finish up my plains base, I'm gonna wander around my elder spawn some more, the stream intersection screams cool villa spot to me

I haven't looked up the seed at all on valheim-map, so maybe the mistlands areas are completely cursed, but I am not in a rush after doing mistlands stuff solo and group for the last month!

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Firebert posted:

Once I finish up my plains base, I'm gonna wander around my elder spawn some more, the stream intersection screams cool villa spot to me

That's awesome, do you have any screenshots of what the terrain looks like in-game?

There's been a few times I've spotted amazing looking locations like that on the map that end up looking terrible when I finally get there.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
Mistlands is just tiresome slog. Everything, from enemies that fly and have ginormous health pool and massive kickback, to terrain, to visibility, just gets real old. I have run out of steam in a way I thought unlikely, and the massive damage that gjalls do to everything along with the mist and puny range of the torches just kills any interest on settling the biome.

It is DIFFERENT and very ooooh aaah and spoooky for a moment, not to mention the other unique thing, but by the time you are grinding soft tissue for eitr climbing up 90% vertical terrain for hours just turns to frustration. It is very much what I see people complain about the swamp but unlike the swamp that you can hoe and clearcut there is no leveling the endless godawful peaks that are everywhere here.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

That's awesome, do you have any screenshots of what the terrain looks like in-game?

There's been a few times I've spotted amazing looking locations like that on the map that end up looking terrible when I finally get there.

A little rough, but it has its charm

Actually, the view from the hill is quite nice, pretty tall for the plains

Firebert fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jan 9, 2023

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Firebert posted:

A little rough, but it has its charm

Thanks for grabbing that. It's not great but not terrible either, kinda what I expected.

I wish the plains had more flat or nearly flat land. Its surprisingly hard to find areas without hills all over.

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
it's a shame the fenris set has such bad armor class because using it and the feather cape makes navigating the mistlands pretty painless along with lingering stamina pots

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.

Gone Fashing posted:

it's a shame the fenris set has such bad armor class because using it and the feather cape makes navigating the mistlands pretty painless along with lingering stamina pots

Plus it is the hardest to acquire light armor in game thanks to the cultist trophy drop rate.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

going to bookmark this thread, my friends and I have been playing this. We are in the swamps right now getting murdered a lot

on the computer
Jan 4, 2012

A MIRACLE posted:

going to bookmark this thread, my friends and I have been playing this. We are in the swamps right now getting murdered a lot

enjoy :cheers: the swamp will feel like a resort soon enough.

explored the mistlands for the first time last night, easily the nicest biome so far. Would be nice if there was a way to permanently clear an area of fog.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

on the computer posted:

enjoy :cheers: the swamp will feel like a resort soon enough.

explored the mistlands for the first time last night, easily the nicest biome so far. Would be nice if there was a way to permanently clear an area of fog.

Putting spoiler tags on this in case you want to discover it yourself. There is a way to do this, kind of: the dverger / dwarves who live in the Mistlands have towers and camps where they hang out. One of the structures they have is a wisp-like jewel that clears the fog in a large radius around it. So if you chill there, or drive them out and take it over, you can have a base clear of fog as long as you protect those structures.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

man I kinda love this game. I dont do the combat very much except when I have to. mostly building and exploring. I always admired timber frame construction so I've been having a great time with the building parts

We're using the map table and I've been giving fake names to the various places we discover and its how we rendezvous and tag portals and stuff now. sailing is pretty epic and we have mini regattas when we're shipping ore back to the base, really fun

theres an underlying consistency to the mechanics and the physics that makes it feel pretty deep as a sandbox

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I'm doing a second playthrough now with a couple friends and I think it's solidified Valheim as my fav all time game. The way it rewards you (heavily) for just taking 30 seconds to set up a campfire and sit down is such a great feature. BSing around the fire or on a boating expedition pairs extremely well with the gameplay itself.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I very much appreciate that the survival aspects are all "positive" rather then negative. It still ends up being a little up-keepy, but I'd rather have a crappy max health then drop dead because I didn't keep a bar filled.

Also tree cutting is super satisfying and fun. Marks against the game for making trees I can't cut down in the swamp though.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Oxyclean posted:

I very much appreciate that the survival aspects are all "positive" rather then negative. It still ends up being a little up-keepy, but I'd rather have a crappy max health then drop dead because I didn't keep a bar filled.

Also tree cutting is super satisfying and fun. Marks against the game for making trees I can't cut down in the swamp though.

Those trees are awesome for building treehouses in though. I love finding a fallen one next to a Surtling geyser

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

Oxyclean posted:

but I'd rather have a crappy max health then drop dead because I didn't keep a bar filled.

I've died so many times building stuff in the safety of my earth walled off base. I get so involved in building I forget to eat. Then I fall and immediately look at my health to see 25.

I even have build camera installed but really only use it to build docks or scout fish. Scaffolding poo poo really does it for me.

I rerolled with Mistlands and haven't even got to the new content yet. Too busy building bridges.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Kind of surprised that berry bushes can't be cultivated, and there doesn't appear to a mod to make the cultivatable?

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

Oxyclean posted:

Kind of surprised that berry bushes can't be cultivated, and there doesn't appear to a mod to make the cultivatable?

Mod name "Plant Everything"

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Oh sick, thanks, was just trying to search stuff like "berries" lol.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Just going to list the must-have mods for me:

Build Camera
Crafty Boxes (build from chests)
Beasts of Burden (lets you lead boars around)
CropReplant (lets you set up a farm grid and auto pick and replace them with a key bind)
Durability Tweaks (I use this to effectively make my hammer indestructible so it doesn't break during build sessions)
DigDeeper (lets you dig lower and build higher)
FarmGrid (combined with crop replant, this makes farming non-tedious)
InstantMonsterDrop (mobs drop their poo poo immediately upon death, no delay)
PreciseRotation (lets you rotate on any axis and rotate more granularly)
Spearfishing (lets you use the harpoon to catch fish - loving awesome)
UseEquipmentInWater
CustomTextures
CustomMeshes

These minimize tedium for me, without removing any of the things I consider actual challenges.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

We turned the death penalty down on my server but that was it. Just finished building a 4 story warehouse thing

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

A MIRACLE posted:

We turned the death penalty down on my server but that was it. Just finished building a 4 story warehouse thing
What does that entail? Less skill drain?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Oxyclean posted:

What does that entail? Less skill drain?

yeah, it has options for the death buffs too but we didn't change those. changed it from 5% to 1% skill drain

our boats disappeared, do the ingredients despawn after time? I think they might have been destroyed by a mob

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

A MIRACLE posted:

yeah, it has options for the death buffs too but we didn't change those. changed it from 5% to 1% skill drain

our boats disappeared, do the ingredients despawn after time? I think they might have been destroyed by a mob

I don't think they despawn but the nails will sink.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
They don't despawn but mobs and waves can break them if they're in spawn range of you, and the nails will sink, and material in water in general will despawn after a while IIRC.

The safest thing to do with boats you're not using is break them and put the components in a chest.

TheAwfulWaffle
Jun 30, 2013
I pulled a Perch out of the water and saw that it opened three new crafting options.

One was raw fish.

One was mossy bait.

Anybody know what the third was?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

TheAwfulWaffle posted:

I pulled a Perch out of the water and saw that it opened three new crafting options.

One was raw fish.

One was mossy bait.

Anybody know what the third was?

Was it 3 recipes all at once, or one item then two? I'm thinking the 3rd "recipe" was the New Item for picking up the Perch.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcHBQoEmC90

Not sure if this has been posted already.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

A MIRACLE posted:

Any drops that are not within range of a workbench will despawn over time.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
I finally rescued my body from the swamp
island of death. Sailed over with enough wood for a cabin, abandoned my raft to the eels, ran around past the draugr, slimes, and skeletons until I miraculously found a place where I wasn’t under attack, built the cabin, ran over and dodged arrows until I could pick up my body from next to the draugr camp, and made it about five meters. But another couple runs/swims from the cabin got me free of that camp, and a few more let me pick up the scraps of my raft. Heroically rebuilt the raft and fended off some more eels with my last few arrows, and I was free, 9 deaths and like five rafts later. And now at last I’ve gotten home and connected my first portal.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Those first couple forays into the swamp are so epic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

The worst is getting drive by murked by a deathsquito when you sail a little too close to the plains with a boat full of ore