Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Bird in a Blender posted:

This seems so odd because getting regular exercise usually improves educational outcomes, so depriving kids of exercise is just going to hinder academic performance.

My brother in christ, why would you imagine that people care about actual outcomes instead of the appearance of caring about outcomes?

Our entire country is built on ignoring things that have been proven to be effective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Jaxyon posted:

My brother in christ, why would you imagine that people care about actual outcomes instead of the appearance of caring about outcomes?

Our entire country is built on ignoring things that have been proven to be effective.

Indeed. And I do suspect if those in charge, as well as those with significant influence on the people in charge, were forced to eat the fruits of their labour rather than buying their way out of it with private schools, they'd start actually caring about outcomes really loving fast.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Bird in a Blender posted:

This seems so odd because getting regular exercise usually improves educational outcomes, so depriving kids of exercise is just going to hinder academic performance. As a kid who was very overweight at 12, and then got down to a healthy weight in high school, telling parents their kid should have surgery seems kind of crazy to me. The article does say this is for kids in the 95th percentile of BMI, and I don't remember what I would've been at that age. Just seems like there are other approaches we need to take to address obesity that don't revolve around drugs and surgery. Those solutions are societal though.

I never really saw when I was in school since I was in a wealthy suburb but you have to understand, schools are meant to train you to work in a factory and there is some much institutional inertia to that point public schools can't make the necessary changes to educate kids. Everything about school is basically the wrong way to train people for any sort of positive outcome. Like, the idea that you are constantly working by yourself and can't ask people for help or won't have reference material is just beyond dumb especially in the digital era.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Individual educational experiences from the US are unlikely to be informative to broader elements, as one of the defining elements of US education is that there's little to no direct federal oversight and education systems vary massively by state, county, municipality, and individual school.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Here is something that will probably be controversial.

The American Academy of Pediatrics is now recommending that kids with weight problems be considered for new anti-obesity drugs as early as age 12 and bariatric surgery as early as age 13.

Their study found that the eating habits of children rarely change once they become an adult and that early and aggressive anti-obesity treatment is the most effective method.

According to the AAP, diet and exercise alone won't work for a small portion of people and a larger portion of people just can't/won't make the lifestyle adjustments required as an adult. That means that breaking the habits through drug or surgical intervention as a youth is the most effective technique.

Some doctors, as mentioned in the article, are against this and worry it will shift people even further away from making lifestyle changes to reduce obesity. Additionally, they worry about the long-term impact of being dependent on surgery or drugs to maintain a healthy weight and that there isn't really a universal standard for determining who might need them versus who might be fine with other less serious interventions.

https://twitter.com/CBSNews/status/1612460456647573504

Here's the AAP press release with links to the guideline.

https://www.aap.org/en/news-room/ne...s-with-obesity/

Here's the guideline itself, for convenience.
https://publications.aap.org/pediatrics/article/doi/10.1542/peds.2022-060640/190443/Clinical-Practice-Guideline-for-the-Evaluation-and

A lot about the construction of the guideline statements is...strange, to say the least. Very weird to direct folks to something like gastric bypass, which requires lifestyle changes on threat of severe consequences, on the basis that lifestyle changes are impossible.

The guidelines and in particular the article covering them are also sending some really mixed messages about the causation claims that are the basis for the guidelines. This quote:

quote:

The group's guidance takes into consideration that obesity is a biological problem and that the condition is a complex, chronic disease, said Aaron Kelly, co-director of the Center for Pediatric Obesity Medicine at the University of Minnesota.

"Obesity is not a lifestyle problem. It is not a lifestyle disease," he said. "It predominately emerges from biological factors."

suggests a really dumb false dichotomy is in play for some of those involved (Kelly's not an author of the guidelines but is cited in them). The guidelines themselves at Section VIII don't take such a hard stance explicitly, but I'm still chewing through how they relate the causal mechanism to treatment recommendations. A part of the problem here is that there's an immediate intervention recommendation generally (fine, good, normal) and then the linkage of specific criteria and root causal sources to individual interventions seems less consistent with the causal section.

I also see the article's quoting Robert Lustig, who basically shouldn't be trusted about anything, ever.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jan 9, 2023

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Mooseontheloose posted:

I mean doctors are only looking at one slice of the pie here (er...so to speak), they are looking at the medical side so ok fine this is what they are recommending medically. The fact is our farm subsidies and lifestyle and lack of willingness to provide free healthy food at schools is going unaddressed. This is before we talk about how outmoded the school day is and we should probably allow for more outdoor physical activities for kids.
Of course. They don't have any knowledge of or control over ag subsidies and the like. They can only make recommendations based on their domain knowledge and the conditions they're presented.

In other words, if the rest of the country is fine having no antecedents in place to derail Americans from religiously eating massive portion sizes of fried salt blocks while connected to a Pepsi IV drip, and then sitting on their stupid asses all day, the doctors are still charged with fixing/preventing the resulting medical problems that come out of that in the most optimum way.

Just like the issue immediately previous to this one, one wonders how it's handled in other countries, because I'd be surprised if gastric bypass surgery for 7th graders is the norm in Japan or Scandinavia.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Mooseontheloose posted:

I thought it was if you were somewhat overweight it's fine but obesity comes with its own issues. I know BMI is being somewhat phased out too cause its just tries to put everyone in one box.

I mean doctors are only looking at one slice of the pie here (er...so to speak), they are looking at the medical side so ok fine this is what they are recommending medically. The fact is our farm subsidies and lifestyle and lack of willingness to provide free healthy food at schools is going unaddressed. This is before we talk about how outmoded the school day is and we should probably allow for more outdoor physical activities for kids.

The guidelines have a really extensive policy section discussing causal sources. Please read them, or at least the executive summary, before you make things up about them.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Sure is odd that this biological problem has become more prevalent across a large population and exacerbated over time.

Weirdly close to as if it were a societal issue.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
What is the exact cutoff they're working with for the 95th percentile of 13-year-old weight? Because I'm guessing it's a bit beyond a few too many cheeseburgers

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Twincityhacker posted:

...wasn't there just a study published that said that being "fat" produced no worse outcomes compared to being "skinny" after controlling for delayed diagnosis by doctors because the doctors told the paicents that their complaint was *because* they were fat and not cancer or whatever it ended up being.

IIRC there are a couple

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2520627
That's a recent Dutch study finding 27 BMI has the current lowest all-cause mortality

There was a large study out of the CDC that had similar findings
https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/200731

Grains of salt:
-These both find being overweight as being associated with better health outcomes; morbid obesity is a different category with well-documented negative health outcomes

-Obviously there are potential confounding factors like smokers being skinnier on average (nicotine is a stimulant), I believe these are controlled for in the above studies but I have neither the time or stats chops to rigorously vet them

- Both use BMI, which a garbage measurement. For example, my BMI dropped during the pandemic into the healthy range... because I wasn't exercising as much and lost at least 10 lbs of muscle.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

haveblue posted:

What is the exact cutoff they're working with for the 95th percentile of 13-year-old weight? Because I'm guessing it's a bit beyond a few too many cheeseburgers

Roughly 145 pounds for a 13-year old would be in the 95th percentile for BMI.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
https://twitter.com/RichardRubinDC/status/1612537584420265999

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

haveblue posted:

The surgical rec is actually "offer referral for adolescents 13 and older with severe obesity for evaluation for metabolic and bariatric surgery to local or regional comprehensive multidisciplinary pediatric metabolic and bariatric surgery centers." There's not a clean way to post them and the order of tables and figures is all screwed up...hang on.

The below chart roughly illustrates how to read the "Grade C" evidence level there. The document mentions that a recommendation with Grade B is supposed to be sufficient for insurers to cover/incorporate a guideline; in practice this doesn't always happen and I can't immediately get info on the treatment of C.

edit: for those interested, section VII B specifically gets into why they're still using BMI.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jan 9, 2023

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Discendo Vox posted:

The guidelines have a really extensive policy section discussing causal sources. Please read them, or at least the executive summary, before you make things up about them.

They talk about HOW we got here it, it doesn't really give any recommendations to fixing the non-medical part of it. Is that better?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Mooseontheloose posted:

They talk about HOW we got here it, it doesn't really give any recommendations to fixing the non-medical part of it. Is that better?

Yes, saying a completely different thing from what you previously said is at least closer to accurate...though there's still an extensive discussion of the need for policy responses to the social determinants of health. Again, it would help to read the thing we're talking about.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Main Paineframe posted:

I thought the opioid epidemic was a consequence of pharmaceutical companies incentivizing doctors to heavily overprescribe highly addictive drugs with insufficient caution or controls, driving many patients to become addicted and continue to seek the drugs afterward.

Portraying it as "people desperate to anesthetize themselves against the intolerable conditions of poverty" is, I think, incredibly uncharitable at best. It looks sympathetic at first glance, but it's really just a slight reframing of War On Drugs narratives on addiction: it's based on the idea that drug addiction is simply a result of poor people lacking willpower and driving themselves to death to escape their unhappiness, rather than a physical dependence. Though of course, those kinds of narratives long predate the War On Drugs - it's long been convenient for the elites selling the drugs to suggest that addiction is just poor people becoming obsessed.

lol, uncharitable compared to your portrayal of a bunch of dummies that got bamboozled into throwing their lives away by any schmuck with a white coat and fancy degree?

i didn't say poo poo about willpower--that's all you, and not a concept i would even accept as valid w/r/t understanding big societal trends

if there wasn't an underlying condition of exploitation, pain, despair, alienation, whatever you want to call it, the unscrupulous doctor would have a very very hard sell, not to mention the vast number of people going through opiate poo poo who have never once had it prescribed

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

HookedOnChthonics posted:

lol, uncharitable compared to your portrayal of a bunch of dummies that got bamboozled into throwing their lives away by any schmuck with a white coat and fancy degree?

Was this a thing that happened, or was this one of those things where you exaggerate someone's position so you can feel like you're in more disagreement than you actually are?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Here is something that will probably be controversial.

The American Academy of Pediatrics is now recommending that kids with weight problems be considered for new anti-obesity drugs as early as age 12 and bariatric surgery as early as age 13.

Their study found that the eating habits of children rarely change once they become an adult and that early and aggressive anti-obesity treatment is the most effective method.

According to the AAP, diet and exercise alone won't work for a small portion of people and a larger portion of people just can't/won't make the lifestyle adjustments required as an adult. That means that breaking the habits through drug or surgical intervention as a youth is the most effective technique.

Some doctors, as mentioned in the article, are against this and worry it will shift people even further away from making lifestyle changes to reduce obesity. Additionally, they worry about the long-term impact of being dependent on surgery or drugs to maintain a healthy weight and that there isn't really a universal standard for determining who might need them versus who might be fine with other less serious interventions.

https://twitter.com/CBSNews/status/1612460456647573504

I don't think your summary really lines up with the article. You summarized it as "people just can't/won't make the lifestyle adjustments required", but the article appears to go a lot further than that: it entirely rejects the idea of lifestyle factors influencing weight at all! It compares obesity to asthma, treating it as a condition that some people are just born with and can't ever escape without medical treatment.

Incidentally, the article also doesn't mention the word "parent" or "parents" at all. I wonder if that's related. Because when it comes to lifestyle diseases among 12-year-olds, there's a lot about their lifestyle that they don't get to pick. They're not choosing their own meals, for the most part - that's up to the adults around them.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

I forgot this was a "show your work thread." To the study!

"Obesity treatment: Weight loss versus increasing fitness and physical activity for reducing health risks."

https://www.cell.com/iscience/fulltext/S2589-0042(21)00963-9

Glenn A. Gaesser
Siddhartha S. Angaldi

We propose a weight-neutral strategy for obesity treatment on the following grounds: (1) the mortality risk associated with obesity is largely attenuated or eliminated by moderate-to-high levels of cardiorespiratory fitness (CRF) or physical activity (PA), (2) most cardiometabolic risk markers associated with obesity can be improved with exercise training independent of weight loss and by a magnitude similar to that observed with weight-loss programs, (3) weight loss, even if intentional, is not consistently associated with lower mortality risk, (4) increases in CRF or PA are consistently associated with greater reductions in mortality risk than is intentional weight loss, and (5) weight cycling is associated with numerous adverse health outcomes including increased mortality. Adherence to PA may improve if health care professionals consider PA and CRF as essential vital signs and consistently emphasize to their patients the myriad benefits of PA and CRF in the absence of weight loss.

Twincityhacker fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jan 9, 2023

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

war crimes enthusiast

Discendo Vox posted:

Individual educational experiences from the US are unlikely to be informative to broader elements, as one of the defining elements of US education is that there's little to no direct federal oversight and education systems vary massively by state, county, municipality, and individual school.

There is general reduction in hours that was occurring and was exacerbated by covid. We won’t likely have good data showing it for years. What I would say is that talking to parents in a diversity of locations what you’ll find is that particularly for elementary aged kids, they’re getting many less hours than you would expect. This is hidden though. The days are shorter but the instructional hours are not so much because they’ve been cutting everything that isn’t instructional hours.

I mean elementary is only like a 6.5 hour day in a lot of places now. Like 0900-1526.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Main Paineframe posted:

I don't think your summary really lines up with the article. You summarized it as "people just can't/won't make the lifestyle adjustments required", but the article appears to go a lot further than that: it entirely rejects the idea of lifestyle factors influencing weight at all! It compares obesity to asthma, treating it as a condition that some people are just born with and can't ever escape without medical treatment.

Incidentally, the article also doesn't mention the word "parent" or "parents" at all. I wonder if that's related. Because when it comes to lifestyle diseases among 12-year-olds, there's a lot about their lifestyle that they don't get to pick. They're not choosing their own meals, for the most part - that's up to the adults around them.

That's what the one expert who cautioned against the idea of early drug and surgical intervention said. His focus was on food and individual factors.

quote:

One expert in pediatric obesity cautioned that while kids with obesity must be treated early and intensively, he worries that some doctors may turn too quickly to drugs or surgery.

"It's not that I'm against the medications," said Dr. Robert Lustig, a longtime specialist in pediatric endocrinology at the University of California, San Francisco. "I'm against the willy-nilly use of those medications without addressing the cause of the problem."

Lustig said children must be evaluated individually to understand all of the factors that contribute to obesity. He has long blamed too much sugar for the rise in obesity. He urges a sharp focus on diet, particularly ultraprocessed foods that are high in sugar and low in fiber.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It's incredibly irresponsible for this group to advocate for loving bariatric surgery for kids like that

All of the people I know who have had it done have had complications and/or just end up regaining the weight anyway

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I'm sure the conservatives who are very against entirely reversible puberty blockers are going to raise an enormous stink and start bomb threatening hospitals over this suggestion any day now.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

FlamingLiberal posted:

It's incredibly irresponsible for this group to advocate for loving bariatric surgery for kids like that

All of the people I know who have had it done have had complications and/or just end up regaining the weight anyway

To be fair, most people who get the surgery do lose the weight. It has a success rate between 68% and 74% long-term and about 85% short-term.

https://www.vidawellnessandbeauty.com/weight-loss-surgery/long-term-success-rate-of-gastric-bypass-surgery/
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3470459/

I have no idea if there are major differences or other implications for getting in done as a child, though.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Really the problem seems to be unscrupulous food manufacturers being able to put addictive sugar in everything to toxic levels.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Gumball Gumption posted:

Really the problem seems to be unscrupulous food manufacturers being able to put addictive sugar in everything to toxic levels.

Adam Ruins Everything has a great episode on this by the way, all the low-fat stuff just added tons of sugar to make up the difference.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Gumball Gumption posted:

How dare you I need my Starbucks double caramel mochacinno with extra whip because freedums :patriot: and if the nanny-state steps in I'll start mainlining Karo

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

Nutrition education in the US is a joke but even still people eat poo poo they think is good for them but it's just corn and empty carbs. Food in schools is a complete disaster. There's a McDonald's across the street from where I teach and I think that should literally be illegal.

Also why do McDonald's look like supermax prisons now?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Nutrition science is a blasted-out hellscape in which there are multiple competing disingenuous interests on both sides of many issues and no single entity to blame. I've got some old effortposts I can pull together on problems in the area if it would benefit discussion.

Briefly in general, nutrition research is as or more expensive to run as drug research, and virtually all of it is funded by various industry groups, including through proxies; this shapes large parts of the discourse. There's also a constant flow of grift from alt-med and the dietary supplement industry. Large parts of the public discussion around nutrition science, including a set of emerging trends and terms commonly used in policy over the last decade or so are basically meaningless, or deliberately designed to mislead and misrepresent. It's a field with many of the problems of other sciences, but a relative dearth of sufficient credentials to handle them, and a real set of problems where policy translation leads to further misunderstanding of issues.

Briefly on this topic, sugar isn't "addictive" and Lustig isn't a good source on jack poo poo; he's infamous for misrepresenting and overstating evidence. It can simultaneously be the case that he's garbage as a source, and that there are profound defects in the newly published guidelines.

To be fair, most people who get the surgery do lose the weight. It has a success rate between 68% and 74% long-term and about 85% short-term.

https://www.vidawellnessandbeauty.com/weight-loss-surgery/long-term-success-rate-of-gastric-bypass-surgery/
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3470459/

I have no idea if there are major differences or other implications for getting in done as a child, though.

Part of the reason for the age criterion and the grade C on that recommendation is because they don't have as strong evidence in that category either.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jan 10, 2023

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Discendo Vox posted:

Briefly on this topic, sugar isn't "addictive" and Lustig isn't a good source on jack poo poo

Can you expand on this? Do you consider habit forming characteristics and binding to dopamine and opioid receptors, dopamine and acetylcholine release in the nucleus Accumbens and so on?

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Classified documents from Biden’s time as VP discovered in private office, source says

https://www.cnn.com/2023/01/09/politics/joe-biden-classified-documents-upenn/index.html

You gotta be kidding me. And apparently some of them were classified as SCI which means sensitive compartmented information which I believe is the highest classification. God Trumpworld is going to have a field day with this.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
EDIT: MTG's account is already back following her Cease and Desist violation, so I substitute the latest edition of Laura Loomer loomering herself again.

https://twitter.com/EternalDago/status/1612572119828779022?s=20&t=ZNm2OT6NVflrGH5aXfhX8A

https://twitter.com/GoadGatsby/status/1612583284206358530?s=20&t=ZNm2OT6NVflrGH5aXfhX8A

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jan 10, 2023

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Not for long. https://twitter.com/repmtg/status/1612552535902154752

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

mawarannahr posted:

Can you expand on this? Do you consider habit forming characteristics and binding to dopamine and opioid receptors, dopamine and acetylcholine release in the nucleus Accumbens and so on?

It doesn't fit the medical definition of addiction since it's not something we develop a tolerance of and don't withdraw from. I do think it's "addictive" in a colloquial sense and we allow it to be put in food at knowingly dangerous and toxic amounts.

The real problem to me is that addiction is a term for intoxicants and sugar isn't an intoxicant. It's a food which we're going to seek out since naturally we would find it in relatively small amounts and now we can have all we want. It's not addictive because it's not really aberrant human behavior to want sugar. It is just a different dangerous thing.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Judgy Fucker posted:

There's no time in the school day for recess, gotta cram in as much prep work as possible for the myriad array of standardized tests that've been implemented over the last quarter-century due to declining academic performance, which is obviously all teachers' fault and not at all the fault of a lack of investment in education and the breakdown of supportive family and community structures in society writ large. Gotta keep the teachers accountable and the wallets of the psychometrics industry full, so playtime is over, Johnnie and Janie, start hittin' the books!
Korean schools, famously obsessed with standardized testing, have ten minute breaks between each period.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

mawarannahr posted:

"Habit forming characteristics" and triggering a dopamine response describes everything pleasurable. It's not a basis to claim that sugar is addictive. This is part of the line of reasoning promoted by Lustig, who is, again, a really infamous figure in nutrition science, the kinda guy who empties the room at conferences when he speaks.

Gumball Gumption posted:

It doesn't fit the medical definition of addiction since it's not something we develop a tolerance of and don't withdraw from. I do think it's "addictive" in a colloquial sense and we allow it to be put in food at knowingly dangerous and toxic amounts.

The real problem to me is that addiction is a term for intoxicants and sugar isn't an intoxicant. It's a food which we're going to seek out since naturally we would find it in relatively small amounts and now we can have all we want. It's not addictive because it's not really aberrant human behavior to want sugar. It is just a different dangerous thing.

You just called it addictive and referred to it being present at "toxic levels" in your previous post.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jan 10, 2023

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Charliegrs posted:

Classified documents from Biden’s time as VP discovered in private office, source says

https://www.cnn.com/2023/01/09/politics/joe-biden-classified-documents-upenn/index.html

You gotta be kidding me. And apparently some of them were classified as SCI which means sensitive compartmented information which I believe is the highest classification. God Trumpworld is going to have a field day with this.

apperently biden and co returned them pretty quickly after discovery so lol. chuds are gonna be bad faith dipshits about it and it will go on the list of investigation like getting mad they can't look at hunters dick.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Discendo Vox posted:

Nutrition science is a blasted-out hellscape in which there are multiple competing disingenuous interests on both sides of many issues and no single entity to blame. I've got some old effortposts I can pull together on problems in the area if it would benefit discussion.

I'd be interested in some links or whatever to these if it's not too much trouble.

I'm curious about the current state of affairs when it comes to the spider web of regulatory capture and how much it has expanded into various scientific fields.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Dapper_Swindler posted:

apperently biden and co returned them pretty quickly after discovery so lol. chuds are gonna be bad faith dipshits about it and it will go on the list of investigation like getting mad they can't look at hunters dick.

Doj investigating is, you know, fine. But yeah it looks like Biden's lawyers etc did the right thing when made aware.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Google Jeb Bush posted:

Doj investigating is, you know, fine. But yeah it looks like Biden's lawyers etc did the right thing when made aware.

yeah, investigating is genuinly good, make sure their wernt anymore gently caress ups. also sounds like the story is from middle last year so i guess some GOP ghoul stumpled upon it in some hopes people care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Gumball Gumption posted:

It doesn't fit the medical definition of addiction since it's not something we develop a tolerance of and don't withdraw from.

I do think it's "addictive" in a colloquial sense and we allow it to be put in food at knowingly dangerous and toxic amounts.

In psychology, those are not the defining characteristics of addiction:

quote:

n. a state of psychological or physical dependence (or both) on the use of alcohol or other drugs. The term is often used as an equivalent term for substance dependence and sometimes applied to behavioral disorders, such as sexual, Internet, and gambling addictions. A chemical substance with significant potential for producing dependence is called an addictive drug. —addictive adj.

Other fields and institutions (e.g. NIDA) use other definitions, but it’s hardly a colloquialism; it comprises a sizable body of research that uses the term “sugar addiction.” This is not just in psychology but also in neuroscience, where researchers like the late Jaak Panksepp are comfortable using this term in their published work.

Beyond terminology, is also evidence for tolerance and withdrawal (eg https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/16669597). Here’s a bit from a recent review

quote:

So back to the question, is sugar addictive? The term addiction is generally reserved for drugs of abuse (ie, cocaine, heroin, morphine, nicotine and alcohol) and is many times used synonymously with dependence.17 The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fifth Edition (DSM-5) defines ‘substance use disorder’ (ie, addiction) if at least two to three criteria (symptoms) exist from a list of 11. This was a change from DSM-IV, which categorised both substance abuse and substance dependence as separate disorders, and substance abuse only required one criterion. In DSM-5 these two catego- ries have been combined into ‘substance use disorder’. It is also interesting to note that binge eating disorder has been added to DSM-5.
Sweet and high-fat foods are preferred by those with binge eating disorders and that those preferences are mediated by the endogenous opioid system.
In animal models, sugar produces more symptoms (eg, cravings, bingeing, tolerance and withdrawal) than is required to be considered an addictive substance. So we can be quite confident that sugar is indeed addictive in animal models. In fact, animal data demonstrate significant overlap between the consumption of added sugars and drug-like effects, producing (1) bingeing, (2) craving (a strong desire to ‘use’), (3) tolerance (gradual escalation in intake with repeated use), (4) withdrawal (adverse physiological signs with discontinuation of use), (5) cross-sensitisation (increased response to drugs of abuse), (6) cross-tolerance (animals become tolerant to the analgesic effects of morphine after chronic intake of sugar and saccharin), (7) cross-dependence (suppression of withdrawal symptoms with certain drugs),(8) reward (intense dopamine release in the brain), and (9) opioid effects, such as the release of endogenous opioids on consuming sweet substances, symptoms of narcotic withdrawal when an opiate blocker is given, and other neurochemical changes in the brain.

A person may become addicted to sugar due to dependence on his or her own endogenously released opioids.This is particularly revealing when looking at patients with anorexia who may be ‘addicted to starvation’ by the same dependence pathway that occurs when eating sugar (ie, addiction to endogenously released opioids that occurs during starvation). If anorexia can be classified as a disease, and is apparently the body’s addiction to its own endogenously released opioids, then sugar addiction (dependence to endogenously released opioids on consumption of sweets) should also be able to fall under the classification of a disease.

Another, from 2018:

quote:

Finally, there is strong evidence of the existence of sugar addiction, both at preclinical and clinical level. Our model has demonstrated that five out of eleven criteria for SUD are met, specifically: use of larger amounts and for longer than intended, craving, hazardous use, tolerance, and withdrawal. From an evolutionary perspective, we must consider addiction as a normal trait that permitted humans to survive primitive conditions when food was scarce. As we evolved culturally, the neural circuits involved in addictive behaviors became dysfunctional and instead of helping us survive they are in fact compromising our health. From a revolutionary perspective, understanding the molecular, and neurological/psychological intricacies of addiction (sugar, drugs of abuse) will permit the discovery of new therapies (pharmacological and non-pharmacological) and possible management of at least one crucial factor in the occurrence of obesity.

An older one from 2008:

quote:

The experimental question is whether or not sugar can be a substance of abuse and lead to a natural form of addiction. “Food addiction” seems plausible because brain pathways that evolved to respond to natural rewards are also activated by addictive drugs. Sugar is noteworthy as a substance that releases opioids and dopamine and thus might be expected to have addictive potential. This review summarizes evidence of sugar dependence in an animal model. Four components of addiction are analyzed. “Bingeing”, “withdrawal”, “craving” and cross-sensitization are each given operational definitions and demonstrated behaviorally with sugar bingeing as the reinforcer. These behaviors are then related to neurochemical changes in the brain that also occur with addictive drugs. Neural adaptations include changes in dopamine and opioid receptor binding, enkephalin mRNA expression and dopamine and acetylcholine release in the nucleus accumbens. The evidence supports the hypothesis that under certain circumstances rats can become sugar dependent. This may translate to some human conditions as suggested by the literature on eating disorders and obesity.

There are dissenting views from other researchers but I find it a bit hasty to say “sugar addiction isn’t real” without anything else to back that up. It is an ongoing topic of debate for some scientists. In the meantime sugar produces all these characteristics of addiction and I agree it should be treated and studied like one, as researchers and practitioners already are.

Discendo Vox posted:

"Habit forming characteristics" and triggering a dopamine response describes everything pleasurable. It's not a basis to claim that sugar is addictive. This is part of the line of reasoning promoted by Lustig, who is, again, a really infamous figure in nutrition science, the kinda guy who empties the room at conferences when he speaks.

The characteristics and findings described above, by people who aren’t Lustig, are a basis to claim sugar is addictive.

e: Christian Montag is a psychologist.

mawarannahr fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jan 10, 2023