Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

OddObserver posted:

US, Germany, France and UK all made their own

Don't forget the Italian Ariete! Oh no wait, please forget Ariete...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Sad Panda posted:

Isn't there a standardised NATO tank? Just wondering as the concern of here's a handful of another tank that you need to train the operation and maintenance. Seems like it will segment things even more.

There's no standard tank but they all generally standardized around a single tank gun, or at least something close enough so they can all use the same ammunition.

Like the Leopard 2, M1A1/2, Leclerc, Japanese Type 90/10, Korean K1A1/K2, etc... are all different tanks but all use some version of the Rheinmetall 120mm cannon at least partially so if a war did happen there'd be a simplified logistics situation with regards to ammo. Before that it was different versions of the 105mm L7.

Not to say they never tried though. Germany and the US tried to make a single co-designed tank in the 60s and 70s with the MBT-70 program but it failed for a number of reasons.

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jan 9, 2023

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

OddObserver posted:

US, Germany, France and UK all made their own, and only the first two made them in significant numbers --- with the German Leopard 2s mostly split over a whole bunch of countries with most having tiny numbers.

(And Poland is starting on using Korean tanks).

Edit: actually there were more built than I thought, but I don't know how many are in repairable state?

A bit of googling says that there has been ~3600 Leo2's ever built, 10 400 M1 Abrams and 447 Challenger 2's.

On Leo2's in 1994, Germany operated a total of 2,125 2A4s and Netherlands had about a 450 on top of that; these are the ones that were sold all over the world and are most likely in more or less working order, if probably starting to show their age with the equipment level, especially those in service outside NATO countries unless they have been kept updated.

2A5, 2A6 and 2A7 does not exist in large enough reserve numbers to be really considered a candidate for donations, unless Germany starts to give away theirs.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
The plan is to convert just 148 of the Challenger 2s to 3s, retiring the rest. Combined with reductions in the AFVs at the same time. Time will tell if the lessons of this war will change the plan.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Is there any particular reason the Leopard 2 is the clearly superior choice for Europe? It's already been established it's not feasible to train and manage a supply chain for Abramses in Ukraine in the middle of a war, but it strikes me as odd that you have:

• the US producing tanks straight onto storage against army requests, because Congress loves the jobs
  • a lot of NATO countries with Warsaw pact equipment (further complicating alliance logistics)
  • an ongoing conflict in dire need of that exact kind of equipment

...and yet there's a distinct lack of ability to make hay.

Of course no country wants to be left without equipment they know how to use while still training on new equipment, but a cursory scan of Wikipedia tells us Morocco for one has:

• 148 T-72s
  • 222 M1A1s
  • 156 M1A2s

There are reports that Morocco has sent spare parts, but that's it. Is the Abrams just too high maintenance or what am I missing?

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

Is there any particular reason the Leopard 2 is the clearly superior choice for Europe? It's already been established it's not feasible to train and manage a supply chain for Abramses in Ukraine in the middle of a war, but it strikes me as odd that you have:

• the US producing tanks straight onto storage against army requests, because Congress loves the jobs
  • a lot of NATO countries with Warsaw pact equipment (further complicating alliance logistics)
  • an ongoing conflict in dire need of that exact kind of equipment

...and yet there's a distinct lack of ability to make hay.

Of course no country wants to be left without equipment they know how to use while still training on new equipment, but a cursory scan of Wikipedia tells us Morocco for one has:

• 148 T-72s
  • 222 M1A1s
  • 156 M1A2s

There are reports that Morocco has sent spare parts, but that's it. Is the Abrams just too high maintenance or what am I missing?

From what I've heard, the big difference between the Leo and the Abrams is the engine. I believe the Leo has a standard diesel engine which is much easier to maintain and less fuel thirsty than the complex and gas guzzling engine the Abrams uses. So a Leo would be a better tank to supply to Ukraine. I could be wrong about all that though.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

To be honest I think its political more than anything. If UK donates a brigade worth of Challenger 2's and EU can match that with brigade or two of Leo2A4's, when those run out M1 is on the table since NATO already gave MBTs.

^^^^^ That gas turbine engine is also an issue, and someone already mentioned that those Abrams in the US boneyards are not "drive away"-ready, they are little more than empty hulls that have everything useful removed so they need refurbishing anyway. And the last thing is that the new Abrams come with a new armor plating that US has been really stingy on giving away.

Der Kyhe fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jan 9, 2023

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
How was the US able to supply Iraq with Abrams? I mean ok so Iraq wasn't involved a massive war with a neighboring country at the time but what about all the other logistical challenges? I believe they got export versions and the armor isn't the same as what the US versions have but is it the same engine? Did the US have maintenance personnel on site in Iraq?

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Charliegrs posted:

How was the US able to supply Iraq with Abrams? I mean ok so Iraq wasn't involved a massive war with a neighboring country at the time but what about all the other logistical challenges? I believe they got export versions and the armor isn't the same as what the US versions have but is it the same engine? Did the US have maintenance personnel on site in Iraq?

I thought the US just left all its Abrams in Iraq rather than ship them back stateside.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Pook Good Mook posted:

I thought the US just left all its Abrams in Iraq rather than ship them back stateside.
No, Iraq uses the Iraq specific M1A1M version.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Charliegrs posted:

They had a lot more time to get things together. The US first leased M1A1s to Iraq in 2008 for training and then didn't start delivering them proper for two years. That's a lot of time to train crews and maintenance personnel, get logistics up and running, etc...

Not to mention fuel was probably less of a concern for Iraq than Ukraine.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

They had a lot more time to get things together. The US first leased M1A1s to Iraq in 2008 for training and then didn't start delivering them proper for two years. That's a lot of time to train crews and maintenance personnel, get logistics up and running, etc...

Not to mention fuel was probably less of a concern for Iraq than Ukraine.

Gotcha. I know that when the US supplied Iraq with F16s I think they had to base American maintenance personnel there too. And that's with more time and a much less intense war going on that's happening in Ukraine.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
This seems more aimed at Germany since they claim they won't send tanks unless someone else does it first. UK doesn't have many tanks to send, so this would be them saying poo poo or get off the pot to Germany.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Charliegrs posted:

From what I've heard, the big difference between the Leo and the Abrams is the engine. I believe the Leo has a standard diesel engine which is much easier to maintain and less fuel thirsty than the complex and gas guzzling engine the Abrams uses. So a Leo would be a better tank to supply to Ukraine. I could be wrong about all that though.

Granted, I'm not a mechanical engineer, but aren't turbine engines attractive specifically because they have much fewer parts to maintain than reciprocating engines, simplifying maintenance?

Secret armor tech seems like the most plausible obstacle for some kind of deal that would end with a transfer of e.g. Bulgarian T-72s.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Shibawanko posted:

how much of a threat is the belarussian army?

Threat level: hilarious

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Several reports from different media talking about Soledar being enveloped by RuF
https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1612588298509090817

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Our entire defense was based on the concept to make any potential invasion unprofitable in terms of gains/losses and than our ally the undefeatable russia will roll in and make things right. I have no idea for what possible purpose would anyone would want to conquer Belarus except ...well... loving russia, against whom we got no defenses whatsoever. And their army has free reign to do what they please now anyway. If Ukraine is to crush them, we have a chance. Pls write to your goddamn politicians for more weapons to Ukraine, I know its silly but better than nothing

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Intro, excerpts, highlights, etc. SMO background briefing from 9JAN23. Not much, really.

Link: https://www.defense.gov/News/Transcripts/Transcript/Article/3262960/senior-defense-official-holds-a-background-briefing/

-Cannot confirm any Russian plans of further mobilization
-Still does not assess that Belarus is planning to enter the conflict or for Russia to launch ground attack out of Belarus
-Working out the combined arms training over "next several months" with initial kickoff "later this month." Ukraine able to rotate forces to attend training, R&R, etc.
-Fighting remains intense around Bakhmut and surrounding towns. Lots of artillery, intense fighting, often over 100-100s of meters of territory or platoon positions at a time.
-Sees generlaly positive results from Ukraine's air defense efforts, from the perspective of withstanding and reducing effectiveness of Russian attacks on civil infrastructure
-No territory movement vic Kherson; Ukraine still dealiing with operations to clear mines, booby-traps, debris, etc.

quote:

SENIOR MILITARY OFFICIAL: Thanks, Sabrina.

First of all, everybody, happy new year. First time I've been back since the turn of the year, so I hope you had good holidays, and that your year is starting off with a bang.

The -- so this is the 320th day of Russia's illegal and unprovoked large-scale invasion of Ukraine. I think -- you know, -- we're starting -- just, it's my fault we're starting a couple minutes late, so what I would tell you is that in terms of how it -- how the battlefield looks, not significant adjustments to the battlefield, quite honestly, over the last couple weeks. That said, there's been some pretty severe fighting in a number places, in Kreminna, as you know, and in Bakhmut in particular, and then I'd say Bakhmut, the area around Bakhmut, Soledar to the north of Bakhmut being some of the most significant fighting over the past couple weeks in particular.

Otherwise, the battlefield has not changed significantly, and so, you know, the maritime posture -- three ships underway, including Kalibr-capable ships, and in the air posture, you know, the air remains contested over Ukraine. I think you know, we may end up talking a little bit about that, as well. But in the interest of your time, why don't we -- why don't we go to questions?

Q: So I just wondered specifically if you could address how much can the Ukrainians spare troops at this point with the fighting conditions as they are today, to send them to training?

SENIOR MILITARY OFFICIAL: Yeah, so, you know, just like us, I think, you know, what they have come up with over time is a way of making sure that the folks that they have on the front lines don't stay -- those folks in the front lines haven't been there since 24 February not replaced and not removed for things like R&R, recuperation, additional training. And so the Ukrainians have figured out ways to pull organizations out of the fight to allow them a period of time to continue to train.

I think what they've realized is that, you know, they have places that they're able to -- you know, to stabilize and to move folks around and recognize that, in the long run, this collective training will be extremely beneficial to their ability to promulgate the fight. Over.

STAFF: Great, thank you. Next, we'll go to Joe Gould, Defense News.

Q: Hi, thanks so much for taking my question. Ukrainian officials, over the last few days, have warned that Russia's planning a mobilization of 500,000 troops this month for a new offensive in February and March, potentially through Belarus. Does the Pentagon share that assessment?

SENIOR MILITARY OFFICIAL: So I am not particular on the -- Joe, I'm not particular on the mobilization. I can't give you a lot of background on the information related to the mobilization. You know, we do know that the Russians and the Belarusians are going to train together. We are not seeing any indications that Belarus has the intent to enter into the conflict. We just believe it's continued training between the Belarusians and the Russians. Over.

Q: Then as a follow-up, can I just ask what's the -- can you say a little bit more about the timing of the combined arms training, the provision of the armored vehicles now, and, you know, to the degree that sets the Ukrainians up for an offensive or potentially, you know, defense, if the Russians do plan some major mobilization? Thank you.

SENIOR MILITARY OFFICIAL: Yeah, I would -- you know, I'm not going to give you the particular dates. I'd just tell you it's -- you know, these are all things that are in the works to occur over the course of the next several months.

Q: Hi, thanks for taking our questions. I had a couple of follow ups since you mentioned the training. General Ryder said that the expanded training in Germany would be starting in January. Can you confirm that that expanded training of 500 Ukrainians has begun in Germany already?

And then if you don't mind, kind of giving us a better picture of what's going in Bakhmut, what's going on there? We've been seeing a lot of imagery of the craters and everything. Who is winning right now in that area? How would you describe what's going on with the intense fighting?

SENIOR MILITARY OFFICIAL: Yeah, Carla. So on the first one, as General Ryder said, it is set to begin this month. I can't tell you if we've started already but I can tell you we'll start this month. And that's for a portion of the collective training.

The -- in terms of Bakhmut, you know, if you think of Bakhmut as a triangle -- I want to -- and if you'll wait -- if you'll give me a minute, I'm going to pull up a graphic that I've got because I think it will help, in terms of defining for you some size and space. Just one second, I'm sorry.

Q: That's okay, take your time.

SENIOR MILITARY OFFICIAL: Hey, I'm sorry, Carla. So I can't find the graphic. The team's going to look for me while I'm doing it. What I was hoping to do for you is kind of describe to you the -- what the battlefield looks like, in terms of size and space, to give you some perspective, particularly back here in D.C., for those who are in the D.C. area.

The bottom line is if you look at -- if it's a triangle the northern portion of that triangle is Soledar, and then you work your way south, again, through Bakhmut and then down south of Bakhmut -- Andrivka is the other town on one of the axis, and then Chasiv Yar -- if you come out to the northwest to Chasiv Yar and then you drive that thing back to the northeast, over to Soledar, that would give you the triangle that I'm talking about.

Throughout the past and you all have watched this as well as I have. In fact, there may be people on the line now that have been there who will have better SA on this than I do -- but essentially, over the last couple of months, as you know, this fight in Bakhmut has been just really savage.

And what I mean by "savage" is you're talking about thousands upon thousands of artillery rounds that have been delivered between both sides. In many cases, you know, you're looking at, you know, several thousand artillery rounds in a day that are being exchanged.

I think I mentioned the last time I did a presser, where I talked about the comparison between World War I and, you know, I had a picture, a graphic, and that graphic was from Bakhmut. And essentially it showed, you know, the devastation that's been or the devastation that's resulted because of that.

You also, as a result, because of the trenches and because of the rain, and this is rolling terrain. So, you've got -- if you were able to zoom in on the terrain itself, you'd find that there are a number of valleys and as a result a number of spurs or larger pieces of high ground that also transport them -- or that are a part of this portion of this triangle.

And so, you had, and you have trench lines and others across all of these to the point where over the course of a day you may see an exchange of 100 meters. You may see an exchange of 300 or 400 meters. You'll have a platoon position, and this is on either side, you'll have a platoon position that is overrun -- or overrun's a wrong term, but platoon position that is taken by one or the other and then the next day you may see that platoon position change hands again. So, over the last 10 days or so we've seen some movement in the north on Soledar.

And so, Soledar itself is a town which is at the base of one of these draws I was talking about, has been contested now pretty significantly. So, we do think that there are a good portion of Soledar that the Russians have in their hands and the Ukrainians do as well. And these exchanges are -- and as I mentioned, savage. So, when you -- they have these rolling volleys of artillery fire and then the Russians we know will follow that with all sorts of people that are not their best fighters.

So, read, you know, the prisoners from Wagner Group, read mobilize soldiers. And then once those folks go up and, you know, essentially take the brunt of whatever Ukrainian response there is, then you have better trained forces that move behind them to claim the ground that these individuals have walked over. And if you go back in Russian history, you'll see that there are plenty of examples of the Russians trading individuals for bullets and we're seeing that in this area.

So again, really severe and savage fighting that's occurring along this series of axis. I think the different -- or the distance from Soledar, and again, I'm still working on this graphic, but the distance between Soledar and Bakhmut I think is really somewhere around 7 kilometers. It's not very far. But, so anyways, back and forth fighting here and, you know, forces are rolling people into the line as quickly as they can, in some cases to preserve what they have on either side.

Q: Hey, thanks for doing this. I just had a question about given Russia's ongoing aerial barrages from cruise missiles and Iranian drones, I was wondering if you can give us a sense of how you view the state of Ukrainian air defense? Do they the capabilities to continue pushing back against these and intercepting a high percentage of them and just how you see that capability holding up as we hit -- as we near the one year mark.

SENIOR MILITARY OFFICIAL: Yes, you know it -- this is interesting that you asked that, Oren. I think -- you know I said this last summer. Last summer we were talking about the Ukrainian withdrawal from Severodonetsk and I mentioned that I thought at some point we would probably study the Ukrainian's ability to conduct, you know, withdrawal under contact.

I think we will do the same thing as it relates to air defenses. If you look at the way the Ukrainians have created an air defense network of all sorts of different types of air defense and you look at the success that they're having against not just cruise missiles but in particular against the UAV situation. It's really staggeringly positive.

And so the question will be, you know -- again, it's not like -- it's not unlike any other stuff. I mean how long until the Russians decide that, you know, this is a kind of fruitless effort on their part. And you know recent decisions by the international community, again, to support the air defense aspect of the site I think are only going to enhance the Ukrainian ability to sustain themselves from that regard.

Q: Can they hear me? Sorry, I'm just asking about Kherson.

STAFF: Okay.

SENIOR MILITARY OFFICIAL: So Lara, no significant adjustments to what we're seeing in Kherson. The -- you know, the Ukrainians continue to receive shelling from across the river from the Russians and they continue to try to resolve the situation the Russians left behind, in terms of armaments and booby traps, mines, you name it, but no other major adjustment.

Charliegrs posted:

How was the US able to supply Iraq with Abrams?

It was a sales deal that took a couple years to execute and ship, and Iraq paid about $800 million for them.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

Granted, I'm not a mechanical engineer, but aren't turbine engines attractive specifically because they have much fewer parts to maintain than reciprocating engines, simplifying maintenance?

Secret armor tech seems like the most plausible obstacle for some kind of deal that would end with a transfer of e.g. Bulgarian T-72s.

They chose the turbine for the Abrams because it was already a big and heavy machine and stuffing a diesel into it would just make it bigger and heavier. The turbine offers more power and better acceleration in a lighter and smaller package. It's also easy to remove and replace, so when there's a problem they just pop a new one in and send the tank on its way while they can repair the engine in the shop.

The downside is that it consumes enormous amounts of fuel, which was deemed an acceptable trade-off.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
If you have money and fuel to throw around, turbines are wonderful. If you are lacking in either of the above... not so great.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
a minor item i didn't see mentioned

russia claimed a revenge strike on a ukranian billet near kramatorsk killed upward of 600

when a reuters team arrived at the strike, they found both buildings essentially intact. not only did they see no evidence of mass casualties, it was not clear that ukrainian soldiers were even occupying the structures during the strike

sometimes it really does feel like one should just take the reverse message from any russian official line

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

a minor item i didn't see mentioned

russia claimed a revenge strike on a ukranian billet near kramatorsk killed upward of 600

when a reuters team arrived at the strike, they found both buildings essentially intact. not only did they see no evidence of mass casualties, it was not clear that ukrainian soldiers were even occupying the structures during the strike

sometimes it really does feel like one should just take the reverse message from any russian official line

"Don't believe anything till the Kremlin denies it" is a very old joke.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

PT6A posted:

If you have money and fuel to throw around, turbines are wonderful. If you are lacking in either of the above... not so great.

That depends on the size of the engine.

The current most efficient engines on the planet to generate power with are actually a variant of gas turbines. CoGas beats out large slow speed diesels with waste heat boilers in cycle efficiency.

Basically CoGas is a gas turbine with the exhaust running a boiler steam cycle.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Yeah the inefficiency of turbines results in a bunch of waste heat, and in some applications you can recover that waste heat for other useful purposes. However, all of that recovery requires space and mass and so they aren't well suited to an armored fighting vehicle that you need to make as small as possible. Better to just burn fuel and dump heat out.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Bar Ran Dun posted:

That depends on the size of the engine.

The current most efficient engines on the planet to generate power with are actually a variant of gas turbines. CoGas beats out large slow speed diesels with waste heat boilers in cycle efficiency.

Basically CoGas is a gas turbine with the exhaust running a boiler steam cycle.

True, it scales very nicely. Look at the insane radial engines that airplanes used before the turbine was commonly used: if you want a lot of power out of one engine, it's gonna be a monster, and it will suck fuel like a bastard. Whereas with a turbine, you can essentially say: I want this, but much larger, for more power... and it works.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

January 8-10 round-up

Lots of corpses on twitters/telegrams today, especially from Bakhmut area. News around it are also giving off a weird vibe, that basically neither side is sure that they've got it there anymore, with messaging all over the place. Based on stuff like https://t.me/csources/174888 it's probably safe to say that Soledar, if not Bakhmut itself, are contested proper now.

No deep dives today.

Regular articles:

Zelenskyy says that Bakhmut and Soledar yet hold, but that additional reinforcements will be availed for both. https://t.me/V_Zelenskiy_official/4694

Russia claims to have killed 600 soldiers in a strike on Kramatorsk, in an explicit revenge strike for Makiivka, with seemingly with about as much to show for it as has had for destroying all 800 HIMARS systems of Ukraine. https://www.euractiv.com/section/global-europe/news/ukraine-denies-russian-claim-of-600-killed-in-kramatorsk-strike/d

Ukrainian military intelligence claims that the second mobilization wave to draft up to 500k people. They've also moved the expected start date from January 5 to January 15. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/jan/06/russia-preparing-mobilise-extra-500000-conscripts-claims-ukraine

British government might be deliberating over supplying Challenger 2 tanks to Ukraine. https://www.ft.com/content/87a94322-23a0-4734-a87a-11e7995743ed

Pentagon is buying for Ukraine a number of Vampire anti-drone systems. https://www.l3harris.com/newsroom/press-release/2023/01/l3harris-receives-vampire-contract-ukrainian-security-defense

Lapin has been promoted to the chief of land forces of RuAF. https://www.rbc.ru/politics/10/01/2023/63bd09389a794708391c3120

Putin is using secret decrees to grant clemency to the recruited convicts before they get shipped off to the frontline. https://t.me/rian_ru/190798

Ukrainian Bradleys, presumably, spotted in Bulgaria. https://t.me/operativnoZSU/68690

https://twitter.com/P_Fiala/status/1612500070523408398

Other summaries:

https://notes.citeam.org/dispatch-jan-5-9
https://notes.citeam.org/mobi-jan-6-8
https://zona.media/chronicle/320
https://www.understandingwar.org/backgrounder/russian-offensive-campaign-assessment-january-9-2023
https://www.understandingwar.org/backgrounder/russian-offensive-campaign-assessment-january-8-2023

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jan 10, 2023

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

huh, the dumb fire rockets in the recent list of weapons from the US seemed to be an odd choice of supply but it makes a LOT more sense if it is integrated with APKWS and the Vampire system to fight drones. Basically, a hydra 70 with a precision kit becomes a really cheap AA missile - on the back of a 76 Landcruiser ute and it is mobile AA missile system.

They will need many because I can see them using that same system as a precision rocket sniper against soft ground targets.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

German gas stores are still 91% full. Assuming a regular remaining winter like in 2016, the storages will be at 65% at the end of April and filling them up over the summer is not going to be very difficult. The weather is really not on Russia's side lately.

https://www.spiegel.de/wirtschaft/g...27-a0a4ba1d3ad2

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Yeah, and Russia got hit with cold wave, which caused a lot of problems.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Is that guy still live streaming his stove burner?

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Phone posting so I don't have the link right now, but the US is going to train Ukrainian soldiers on Patriots at Fort Sill in Oklahoma.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

GABA ghoul posted:

German gas stores are still 91% full. Assuming a regular remaining winter like in 2016, the storages will be at 65% at the end of April and filling them up over the summer is not going to be very difficult. The weather is really not on Russia's side lately.

https://www.spiegel.de/wirtschaft/g...27-a0a4ba1d3ad2

Europe wide we're at 83% too which is far above historical norms. At this same point in 2022 storage was only at about 55%.

You can track it here: https://agsi.gie.eu/

On quite a few days recently storage levels have actually been going up thanks to the heatwave across Europe. Which is obviously very unusual for late December/early January, it couldn't have happened at a better time.

Refilling reserves this summer from a point 20-30% higher than expected is going to make a huge difference to getting in enough supply for winter 2023-24, its very bad news for Putin's influence.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
German FM Baerbock visited Kharkiv:
https://mobile.twitter.com/DmytroKuleba/status/1612839384105074689

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Moon Slayer posted:

Phone posting so I don't have the link right now, but the US is going to train Ukrainian soldiers on Patriots at Fort Sill in Oklahoma.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/01/10/politics/ukrainians-patriot-missiles-fort-sill/index.html

EmployeeOfTheMonth
Jul 28, 2005
It's the positive attitude that does it
All this arms delivery and training should have been done months ago. These APCs are nice but I think the only thing that is going to make a significant difference in the short term is attack drones and ammunition and western operators flying these remotely as well as the longer range Himars missles. We have asked enough from the Ukrainians and this is all pointless slaughter.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

If anyone is wondering, the message is the kinda boring "to the brave defenders of Ukraine"

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

The news themselves being that they’re sending more tanks, to be clear.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

cinci zoo sniper posted:

How is it clear if this guy is scribbling notes all over it?! :saddumb:

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
https://twitter.com/DefMon3/status/1612857484049551360?s=20&t=VXepHQiTd4Wz_HY-PIirjA

Possible that Ukrainian forces have decided that Soledar isn't worth it. Bakhmut might follow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

cinci zoo sniper posted:

It's also significant that the PM is the one scribbling the note