Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rotacixe
Oct 21, 2008

A rhetorical question?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese

I, too, was curious, so I looked it up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merkhav_Mugan

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Israel problem. Same reason they use all Google services, Netanyahu.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

This genuinely made me exclaim “OH poo poo”

https://i.imgur.com/bSHPqj4.gifv

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Cidrick posted:

lmao, this is sad as gently caress.

Though having a panic room would be kinda dope.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

He deserved it. I don't care what kind of vehicle you're on; unless you're making a safe pass with plenty of room and visibility, stay the gently caress out of the opposing lane.

Bad Munki posted:

That is one of the stupidest attempts to cut a circle I have ever seen. The method he's using works on a bandsaw because the blade goes straight down and doesn't put any sideways force on the material. NEVER do that on a table saw or other circular saw. Jesus Christ.

e: is he using the riving knife as a workstop too?? oh my god

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jan 9, 2023

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Sagebrush posted:

He deserved it. I don't care what kind of vehicle you're on; unless you're making a safe pass with plenty of room and visibility, stay the gently caress out of the opposing lane.

That is one of the stupidest attempts to cut a circle I have ever seen. The method he's using works on a bandsaw because the blade goes straight down and doesn't put any sideways force on the material. NEVER do that on a table saw or other circular saw. Jesus Christ.

You could get away with it if you just brought the piece up to the front edge of the saw and then spun it past (I still wouldn’t.)

Bringing it up past the blade is absolute lunacy. And then his grip on blade side of the free-spinning work piece is just oh-my-god. Did everything possible to make this play out like it did.

e: re: riving knife, that sliding board might have a rib on the bottom to keep it in the slot. Might.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

We're coming for you, paw patrol.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Sagebrush posted:

I actually ran across the Instagram post of the woman who did this, she ended up taking down a bunch of videos where she was making circles because she actually listened to everyone who was telling her she was being insanely unsafe

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Sagebrush posted:

hey it mostly worked ok.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

B-Rock452 posted:

I actually ran across the Instagram post of the woman who did this, she ended up taking down a bunch of videos where she was making circles because she actually listened to everyone who was telling her she was being insanely unsafe

it's ok, they have the meme song playing as it happens

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

LifeSunDeath posted:

hey it mostly worked ok.

Now he can research how to do this properly while he waits for a new sawstop cartridge to be delivered

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

haveblue posted:

Now he can research how to do this properly while he waits for a new sawstop cartridge to be delivered

I’d like to think he just has a stack of those cartridges and goes through several a day. Just a cost of making the best circles in the business.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

This has got me having a serious think about where the pipes are running internally but I think the answer is a pretty simple "straight up inside on wall from boiler/entry to the highest bathroom" and everywhere else under the floor. Probably.

Oh and also that I need to check if the stopcock under the sink that you can't physically reach because the cabinets were installed by a moron is actually the right one, though it's probably easiest to turn it off in the street away.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

This has got me having a serious think about where the pipes are running internally.

My wife is no longer allowed to put nails into the wall after she put a nail into the backside of the breaker box at the last house.

She wanted to hang a heavy mirror in the dining room of the current house on a wall that has the plumbing stack for upstairs. I about refused, but was able to get the studs successfully despite the false positives.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

No pictures but my friend changed a light switch this morning without turning off the breaker and nothing happened. She mentioned this to her Electrical Engineer husband who was like "You turned the breaker off right?"

She thought he was just being "Fussy" so when she went to replace an outlet in the same room she still didn't turn off the breaker and got zapped by house current.

She has since learned that she was just very lucky earlier and he wasn't being fussy.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Bad Munki posted:

at least they were smart enough to have a sawstop in case he did dumb things

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Bad Munki posted:

My well-intentioned but comically accident-prone son started high school wood shop today, and while I’m sure the possibility of using similar equipment is far off, if present at all, I now fear the day where something happens in class.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

CainFortea posted:

No pictures but my friend changed a light switch this morning without turning off the breaker and nothing happened. She mentioned this to her Electrical Engineer husband who was like "You turned the breaker off right?"

She thought he was just being "Fussy" so when she went to replace an outlet in the same room she still didn't turn off the breaker and got zapped by house current.

She has since learned that she was just very lucky earlier and he wasn't being fussy.

I live in a house that was built in 1900, and have found many instances of stupid wiring. One of the first things I found was that there were numerous light switches that were wired such that the neutral, and not the live was switched. Was replacing a light fixture one time, and flipped the switch off assuming the fixture would be dead. It was not. A bright blue flash, and a tripped breaker. Now anytime I'm working with the stuff, I flip the breaker, and retest with a meter before anything like a screwdriver gets close to the fixture. I'd rather not be surprised again.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

ILL Machina posted:

Not really OSHA, but I figured this would enrage y'all as much as me

This is how I build in Minecraft. Just whatever blocks I have lying around.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The closest I've come to electrocuting myself, and the worst thing I've found in my house, is a single panel with a light switch next to an outlet, wired to two separate breakers. Fortunately I noticed that the green light on the GFCI was still on before I started messing with it

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:
North American Rescue's Instagram posted photos of 3 guys who got electrocuted moving a downed pole if you want to see what electricity does to someone. The three wounded are apparently still alive but dont seek out the post if you don't want to see really nasty wounds

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

haveblue posted:

The closest I've come to electrocuting myself, and the worst thing I've found in my house, is a single panel with a light switch next to an outlet, wired to two separate breakers. Fortunately I noticed that the green light on the GFCI was still on before I started messing with it

Uh, yikes

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
I was cleaning an overflowing gutter during a thunderstorm and lightning struck somewhere and I felt a tingle so I went inside and almost pissed my pants.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Cidrick posted:

I was gonna say this is some coward-rear end poo poo typical of the Israelis hiding in fear of piss-fueled rockets that barely do any damage to anything. But this sort of thing might actually be necessary when Israel finally pisses off their neighbours too much and Hezbollah steamrolls them.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Korthal posted:

Going down an old films rabbit hole, I can't help but think the machine at 10:48 was designed to remove fingers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPGqLjnNIJY&t=648s

you're worried about a perfectly normal drill press instead of its operator smoking in the artillery factory?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I've been hit so many times I'd probably be a subject in this thread if there were cameras around.

I've definitely dropped a line with house current into my lap and hit my junk and leg.

I once carried a motorcycle battery and a GIANT transformer in a gym bag to school and used to surprise people with wires taped to my hand and a push button switch.

In our electronics class when a kid was getting too annoying we'd start playing with the tesla coil and then someone else would show them the trick off grabbing the coil and then waving their hand around and giving off sparks. And then he'd grab their wrist to show them it was no big deal once you grabbed the source.

Meanwhile behind them i'd grabbed the grounding rod and then i'd touch the inside of their elbow or their earlobe or something.

Yes I was a little poo poo as a teenager why do you ask?

Edit: Oh yea, there was another one where I was working on making a jacob's ladder with a neon transformer and I went to turn it off at a rocker switch and my leg touched one of the leads. This was fine, except that when I turned it off the kickback from the field collapse surge blew right through the rocker switch and hit me hard enough to stop me from breathing. I don't know if the chest compressions I did on myself against the side of the bed helped or not, but it loving hurt.

CainFortea fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jan 10, 2023

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

I was once extremely lucky enough to be standing in a muddy, slightly flooded field near a service drop pole that through negilligence and homeowner fuckery had become live and not die. I realized something was wrong when literally every single hair on both of my legs stood up from the charge in the water. Had I ventured any closer to what I was looking at, I probably would have gotten enough voltage via step potential to seriously gently caress me up.

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Mister Speaker posted:

I was gonna say this is some coward-rear end poo poo typical of the Israelis hiding in fear of piss-fueled rockets that barely do any damage to anything. But this sort of thing might actually be necessary when Israel finally pisses off their neighbours too much and Hezbollah steamrolls them.

Best case scenario fire or incendiary devices will suck the oxygen out of most escape rooms.

Wee fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Jan 10, 2023

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/Za4tOuR.mp4

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/6dg76if.mp4

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

If you try and get railed hard, this is an excellent place to take pictures!

Note the unshielded 3rd rails.

This one showed up in a gay discord and all the train gays are like 'OMG DUDE NOOOOOOOO' with the occasional 'What's a 3rd rail' comment from folks who live in a place where trains get their power exclusively from overhead lines.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Mister Speaker posted:

Piss Creep posted:

Best case scenario fire or incendiary devices will suck the oxygen out of most escape rooms.

Do not continue to post about this, or post like this in general.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

This is hypnotic. I wonder if I can rent one and how it handles PNW moss.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Jet Jaguar posted:

This is hypnotic. I wonder if I can rent one and how it handles PNW moss.

You can rent the hardware store version pretty easily. My home depot has them and I'm sure the tool rental places would too. That pro equipment with the hot water heater takes a bit more digging. My local Hosty dealer rents them.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

As someone that inline skates on streets, this is terrifying. If he goes even slightly off center or picks up a speed wobble (probably less likely with four points of contact) he's gonna go down, and will have next to no braking ability. I guess he'd slide though so less chance of road rash, and the angle might make it look steeper than it is.

Still, hats off 10/10.

e: on second watch it's super steep at the start but tapers off and then slopes up a bit. But doing it wet is nuts.

Powerful Two-Hander fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Jan 10, 2023

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
HR Giger's backyard train is very osha. Warning: lots of nude statues

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqZqmVxtiws

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

The cost of ethnic cleansing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Sagebrush posted:

I've done that once, Matthias Wandel does it on youtube so I took after him. It's not safe procedure by any means, but it can be done more safely than shown. That dude did the cardinal mistake of putting his hand on the wrong side of the circle so that if what happened, happens, it'll move the hand into the blade instead of away from it. Never ever turn it clockwise.

I pretty quickly made a router circle jig instead.