Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

mobby_6kl posted:

Why are hounds supposedly dumb? :mad: That's some sort of discrimination.

Except the token smart one apparently.

The metric seems to be using intelligence as a synonym for trainability and hounds are good at the thing they are usually trained to do (follow a scent, run when they see a rabbit) but less great at learning new tricks, since they are less people pleasers than other breeds, is my assumption for the ranking.

still bullshit because all dogs are good and the metric seems very sensitive to how the components are weighted. And the axis label is pretty rude imo. They should plot the dogs in a high dimensional space and look for a smooth distance preserving dog manifold imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

DACK FAYDEN posted:

this might be the first chart I've ever seen where the British punch above their weight in "happiness"

we're stupid

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Their data source is an English language website, which probably skews the data a bit.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Anything that seeks to categorize music by genre is extremely fraught. Bands in one country might call themselves metal while those in another country may not despite sounding very similar.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i am skeptical that finland is truly the happiest country in europe

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

i am skeptical that finland is truly the happiest country in europe

The high suicide rate shows up weirdly in happiness statistics, since the dead aren't counted.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Yeah, and it's also mostly power and melodic death metal bands, so...

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Paladinus posted:

Yeah, and it's also mostly power and melodic death metal bands, so...

Screaming about the end of all hope and existential annihilation brings me joy.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Finland’s thing is super high quality of life in exchange for not seeing the sun for months at a time from my understanding.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Henchman of Santa posted:

Finland’s thing is super high quality of life in exchange for not seeing the sun for months at a time from my understanding.

Finland has a pretty high suicide rate overall and there's an appealing story there about months of darkness but the number of suicides actually peaks in May and October.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

BonHair posted:

The high suicide rate shows up weirdly in happiness statistics, since the dead aren't counted.

Syria, Jordan and Lebanon are among the happiest places in the world, what with suicide being almost non-existent there. Or it could be that taking your own life is such a taboo in some cultures that it's not even reported.

Happiness is an artificial attribute that you can't measure it from someone's blood or anything. The World Happiness Report asks people how happy they feel about their lives on a scale of 1-10. Is a person who responds 5 in Finland as happy or unhappy as a person who responds 5 in Spain? I don't think there is an answer to that. It tells you how people answer to the question, but do they actually feel the same or is it just how they are "calibrated"?

The number of metal bands per 1 million people is a scientific fact, though. You'd think that it's just some wonky chart based on self-reporting, but no. United Nations has a special organization, UNMET, that follows the formation of metal bands around the world and exercises careful methodology eg. if some trash metal band's members get into fight, split and form three new bands.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Nenonen posted:

Happiness is an artificial attribute that you can't measure it from someone's blood or anything. The World Happiness Report asks people how happy they feel about their lives on a scale of 1-10. Is a person who responds 5 in Finland as happy or unhappy as a person who responds 5 in Spain? I don't think there is an answer to that. It tells you how people answer to the question, but do they actually feel the same or is it just how they are "calibrated"?

I have precisely this objection about that 10-point pain scale. What exactly distinguishes, say, an 8 from a 9, and do you really expect me to make that determination when I'm (presumably) in agony? Never mind that all of this is scaled to an arbitrary "10" that's going to be different for everyone, and some people are going to be more stoic and some more dramatic about whatever it is that hurts anyway.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Nenonen posted:

Happiness is an artificial attribute that you can't measure it from someone's blood or anything.

You can measure BAC.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Powered Descent posted:

I have precisely this objection about that 10-point pain scale. What exactly distinguishes, say, an 8 from a 9, and do you really expect me to make that determination when I'm (presumably) in agony? Never mind that all of this is scaled to an arbitrary "10" that's going to be different for everyone, and some people are going to be more stoic and some more dramatic about whatever it is that hurts anyway.

When I took first aid training and later first responder training, the instructor mentioned that it can be useful to ask the patient "what's the most painful thing you've experienced" as a rough calibration. Sure, different people are going to have different responses to "how much does [x] hurt", but it's certainly better than having no calibration point at all.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Powered Descent posted:

This issue is described well by the Farmer Pain Scale.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Henchman of Santa posted:

Yeah it's like the opposite of Southern California, which is why one got Lordi and the other got Sublime.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
https://twitter.com/__femb0t/status/1612235272422318080

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Northern California is approaching Florida levels of danger.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

That yellow zone is a lie because Winnipeg has one and probably Regina too

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

It looks bad, but you can generally just scrub it off with some bleach and it'll clear right up

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

The only habitable places left for humans will be the white ring between the bass lords in the green and the nuclear wasteland in the red

no one knows what is in the yellow

no one has ever come back

e: but seriously this loving gradient goes from white to green to white to red to yellow what the gently caress

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

CommonShore posted:

They’re both more than 600mi from the border, aren’t they?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

CommonShore posted:

The fine print covers that.

e: Google Maps doesn’t show locations in Winnipeg or Regina, but Calgary has one and it’s less than a hundred and fifty miles from the forty‐ninth parallel and Montana.

I think that that would eliminate the Idaho Yellow Zone, but it will still exist in places like the Northwest Angle.

Platystemon has a new favorite as of 05:44 on Jan 9, 2023

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Phanatic posted:

We seriously should stop making bulldogs, though.

Has science not gone far enough?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Platystemon posted:

Eugenics are bad, wolf or man.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Whoever made it go green -white - red -yellow should be fed to the fishes

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Subjunctive posted:

They’re both more than 600mi from the border, aren’t they?

Try 100 km.

E. The one in Winnipeg is on Sterling Lyon parkway but maybe it's a Cabela's + Bass Pro Shops. I'm just guessing about Regina.

CommonShore has a new favorite as of 15:31 on Jan 9, 2023

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

steinrokkan posted:

Whoever made it go green -white - red -yellow should be fed to the fishes

i like it. it looks like mold growing on blood agar.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

CommonShore posted:

Try 100 km.

Embarrassing, thank you.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Platystemon posted:

Why would you get a dog like the one on the right? The reason to own a pug is for the sweet sound of every single breath being a desperate wet gasp for life

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

CommonShore posted:

Try 100 km.

E. The one in Winnipeg is on Sterling Lyon parkway but maybe it's a Cabela's + Bass Pro Shops. I'm just guessing about Regina.

If Cabela's counts, there's a Cabela's right in Idaho and one in Montana as well, to say nothing of Both the Bass Pro and Cabela's in Calgary or the two Cabela's in Edmonton

E: re dog chart, the Dr McNinja comic once called the affenpinscher "God's most perfect creature" so they got that going for them

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Width of the bars is ???

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Platystemon posted:

Width of the bars is ???

... due to the first one being a screenshot of a different chart which used ticks at every 40'000

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
So the 2020 bar is about four percent taller than it should be.

Great job, folks.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Samoyeds labeled as smart, lol

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

credburn posted:

The only habitable places left for humans will be the white ring between the bass lords in the green and the nuclear wasteland in the red

no one knows what is in the yellow

no one has ever come back

e: but seriously this loving gradient goes from white to green to white to red to yellow what the gently caress

Reminds me of the map of expected fallout across the USA in a total nuclear war and whilst most of it was based on population, North Dakota and Montana were just "LOL nope" as it was expected the perfidious Russkis would carpet bomb the ICBM silos.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

zoux posted:

Normal distribution means that the vast majority of people are Stalins or Hitlers, only a very small percentage are Rothbards or Bakunins

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

aaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
i'm losing my mind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat