Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
You misunderstand, I'm not saying the chosen rifle is weak, it's not at all. I'm saying its not specc'd for how I like to play my snipers, which is a minigame to see how many shots they can get off with a single killzone. Moving and shooting is for sweaty nerds who are trying to win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Yeah, killzone shenanigans are hilarious and the hunters rifle just isn't specced for that. But it's already so broken I can kind of understand why they gave you free reloads instead of an extended mag.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I just went back and started an ironman replay and on the first camp attack the sniper showed up and proceeded to one shot my squad one after the other.

E chimera squad I hate the infinitely respawning enemies maps. Breach and clear I love, messing with turn order I find interesting. Tediously moving my squad one by one to an evac point while trying not to get caught by endlessly spawning enemies is not fun.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Alchenar posted:

I just went back and started an ironman replay and on the first camp attack the sniper showed up and proceeded to one shot my squad one after the other.

I’ve told y’all this before, 95 times out of 100 the Chosen sniper just fucks around uselessly in the backfield while you dunk on all his little buddies then rush him to finish off the mission.

Those other 5/100 times though…you’re just doomed. There’s no cover, no tactic, no weapon that will save you. He becomes the Eye of Sauron, none who fall under his gaze will live to tell the tale.

It fits in with his dialog, where he’s just kind of bored until he decides to stop loving around.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
I found chimera squad sort of interesting for about the first two thirds of the game, but the Saturday morning cartoon vibe really didn’t do it for me, and not getting to play around at all in the futuristic mega city was a huge disappointment. Plus I had no idea who that Jane Kelly woman was and was quite confused that the game seemed to think I should.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

She's the lady that survives the tutorial mission in xcom 2.

I think she showed up in the TLP scenarios as well

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Jane Kelly is undoubtedly the best piece of lore that came out of the entire X-com franchise. When you have to reevaluate what was an idle video game moment into "Actual combat horror moment of watching your entire small squad brutally gunned down meters away from you, and escaping by seconds, I wonder if they got PSTD?" And now she's some composed veteran playing parent figure to a bunch of kids going through the same (hello Claymore you monster), it's great.

Or you can just ignore all that and have a giggle every time the name is dropped by the Chosen etc. Lovely easter eggs.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Serephina posted:

Jane Kelly is undoubtedly the best piece of lore that came out of the entire X-com franchise.

Close but I think Vahlen doing her best Mengele impression is my favorite

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
That was kinda retconned in, I liked Vahlen in the first game =/

Malah
May 18, 2015

She personally watched over each and every alien interrogation.

It's not a stretch.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
Vahlen the Vivisectionist

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Vahlen the mad scientist who makes monsters because v:v:v was retconned, but yeah Vahlen the ethics-free scalpel wielder was definitely a thing in XCOM:EW. Presenting her and Shen as opposite perspectives on the importance of maintaining humanity through the technological advances of the war was like the main thing happening in the cut-scenes.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Akratic Method posted:

Vahlen the mad scientist who makes monsters because v:v:v was retconned, but yeah Vahlen the ethics-free scalpel wielder was definitely a thing in XCOM:EW. Presenting her and Shen as opposite perspectives on the importance of maintaining humanity through the technological advances of the war was like the main thing happening in the cut-scenes.

It was some funny character inversion, not sure how intentional it was

Vehlen, evilly: let’s just give our people superpowers

Shen, wisely: cut off all their limbs and put them in metal tombs

(Both ruled)

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I would not be the first in line for either surgery, because I am TOO BUSY having SEX WITH THIN MEN

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
HOW DOES SNEK COPULATE?!

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Been playing with a modded AI called 'brutal AI' and it really improves the enemy behavior. It's kinda wild how much the mods' difficulties seems to mostly be based on insanely cranked numbers of enemies- it works with any mod but will chug when you fight 40+ enemies.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

getting a steam dreck soon. anyone tried running xcom2 mods with it?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
X-piratez patch dropped a couple days ago- noted change is that ninja bases now only show up (on non Jack sparrow difficulties) after a series of events- instead they just provide a part of the normal traffic. Of course, as part of Jack Sparrow's bullshit, they build bases from the very beginning on that difficulty.

Decided to do a new playthrough without using the Theban bonus and using the brutal AI. Turned off harbinger of doom invasions and will go in to remove sniper/spotter(brutal AI has its own approximation that's significantly fairer). Maybe camo will work this time.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
What do people think of A Better Advent? Playing WOTC and I have a couple mods that make the game quite a bit easier. One that adds 2 more tiers of weapons (the submod from Long War I believe, plasma is still the top) and one that lets me bring a couple extra soldiers on missions. I like both of those and want to keep them, so I was thinking about giving advent a buff or two. A Better Advent sounds good, but I see a lot of complaints about the prime enemies it adds being either annoying or just unfair.

I was thinking something that made pods bigger and/or more of them, and more aggressive. New enemy types and variations sound fun too, but not super powerful individual units like the primes. Those don't sound fun.

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

RVT posted:

What do people think of A Better Advent? Playing WOTC and I have a couple mods that make the game quite a bit easier. One that adds 2 more tiers of weapons (the submod from Long War I believe, plasma is still the top) and one that lets me bring a couple extra soldiers on missions. I like both of those and want to keep them, so I was thinking about giving advent a buff or two. A Better Advent sounds good, but I see a lot of complaints about the prime enemies it adds being either annoying or just unfair.

I was thinking something that made pods bigger and/or more of them, and more aggressive. New enemy types and variations sound fun too, but not super powerful individual units like the primes. Those don't sound fun.

Depends on how you feel about Alien Rulers, really. They have a version of the Ruler Reaction system, although to my memory they have a version that's worse than the system used by the Rulers, which is a nerfed version of the original. I don't recall them doing anything beyond being units that gain actions after taking damage/getting attacked though, so they don't actually change or particularly solve the Alpha Strike Meta. Unless you have Beta Strike on or can't lock them down or kill them, they're still just the same unit with maybe a little more HP.

I do personally like A Better Advent, it mostly creates differentiations that can actually alter combat a little (Advent Heavies are more dangerous than the average trooper) but there's a bunch of different enemy mods floating around, it's really about how willing you are to tailor. I like Diverse Alien Pods By Force Level WOTC because it increases alien pod size and let's them introduce modded enemies into pods, so every pod is a slightly different challenge.

Torchlighter fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Jan 10, 2023

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010
DeAngelis out of Firafix, I hope he keeps making games.

https://twitter.com/gsdeangelis/status/1612508799247474694

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I agree with the advent pods by force size mod; a better advent is real obnoxious when it comes to Prime units. In Wotc, you can prepare for alien rulers, avoid their facilities, and strike to make them retreat. Prime units seemingly aren’t capped per mission and don’t retreat. A prime sectopod is scary once; it’s annoying and unfun after.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
Appreciate the thoughts.

Bogart posted:

I agree with the advent pods by force size mod; a better advent is real obnoxious when it comes to Prime units. In Wotc, you can prepare for alien rulers, avoid their facilities, and strike to make them retreat. Prime units seemingly aren’t capped per mission and don’t retreat. A prime sectopod is scary once; it’s annoying and unfun after.

Yeah,, this is basically what a lot of the reviews I've read have said.

Torchlighter posted:

Depends on how you feel about Alien Rulers, really. They have a version of the Ruler Reaction system, although to my memory they have a version that's worse than the system used by the Rulers, which is a nerfed version of the original. I don't recall them doing anything beyond being units that gain actions after taking damage/getting attacked though, so they don't actually change or particularly solve the Alpha Strike Meta. Unless you have Beta Strike on or can't lock them down or kill them, they're still just the same unit with maybe a little more HP.

I do personally like A Better Advent, it mostly creates differentiations that can actually alter combat a little (Advent Heavies are more dangerous than the average trooper) but there's a bunch of different enemy mods floating around, it's really about how willing you are to tailor. I like Diverse Alien Pods By Force Level WOTC because it increases alien pod size and let's them introduce modded enemies into pods, so every pod is a slightly different challenge.

Diverse Alien Pods By Force Level WOTC. Reading some of the comments, they refer to uber enemies ("biozerker, riftkeeper, bio mec, and venator"). I assume they are not as bad as the primes from ABA?

I guess the next question is how people feel about the Alien Rulers. I avoided purchasing it due to all the negative reviews. So, I don't know how I feel about it having not played it.

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

RVT posted:

Diverse Alien Pods By Force Level WOTC. Reading some of the comments, they refer to uber enemies ("biozerker, riftkeeper, bio mec, and venator"). I assume they are not as bad as the primes from ABA?

I guess the next question is how people feel about the Alien Rulers. I avoided purchasing it due to all the negative reviews. So, I don't know how I feel about it having not played it.

Diverse Alien Pods doesn't contain any actual enemy units, it just allows you to configure for various mods. This person is playing with LEB's Lategame enemies (riftkeeper, venator) and presumably bio Division (biozerker, bio mec). So you don't need to worry about running into those enemies unless you download the relevant mods. For actual enemy mod suggestion

As for Rulers, yeah they're divisive because they kind of break the game in ways that a lot of people don't like playing against. They have too much HP to alpha, their unique gimmick makes them a pain to lock down, and they poo poo out AOE damage in a way that's going to hurt your soldiers hard. I get why people don't like them, but it's never bothered me personally.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Rulers are fine with WOTC. It's just that when they show up for the first time in base game+, they're likely to kill a soldier given the way they change the flow of combat. In WOTC+Rulers, they guard specific advent facilities and only show up in the wild once you fight them there should they escape, so you can build your troops to handle the rulers.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
been playing Enemy Within again after not playing it for a good while. Rushed early MECs.
my god are they awesome, and shoryukening big enemies to death is still the most fuckin metal thing in X-com

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

I should do a six mech rush again. I booted it up again as well, but I've only made one this time.

I can't decided if the best is robocop-ing dudes through walls or the graceful little flip over cover when you slug someone next to a half cover wall.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Shoenin posted:

been playing Enemy Within again after not playing it for a good while. Rushed early MECs.
my god are they awesome, and shoryukening big enemies to death is still the most fuckin metal thing in X-com

There’s so much I love about xcom2 v 1 but man punching a alien with a mec is incredibly fun

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Rocket punching a Thin Man into a truck (that then explodes and ragdolls the corpse) is easily one of the top5 most satisfying things I’ve ever done in a game.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

There's just something incredibly satisfying about when the uber ethereal positions itself such that you can end the campaign tossing him off the edge of his ship into the sea. It's amazing just how satisfying the punch skill is, and sad how badly they failed at recapturing that with sparks.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
Sparks just look too much like Johnny Five for me to take them seriously.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Phoenix point chat: I think the limb system only really works on a couple of enemies, tbh. The crabs in particular, because you can take the pincer/venom out fairly quickly. The Siren you really want to get rid of the head. Everything else I never really cared about.

I find my biggest problem is trading, mostly because even though everything is a net gain for you, its just a lot of clicking. I also didn't really like that if my bases got invaded, everyone had to be prepopulated with guns and armour rather than me just being able to kit it out like any other normal mission.

I did like that on some of the early missions to secure vehicles and the like you can just load up another vehicle with dudes and complete the mission in a few turns because the melee enemies can't actually keep up, which is kinda funny.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Disabling limbs is mostly a way to get bleed and morale damage on things, as most enemies will very quickly have so many forms of attack you will kill them before you disable them all. But if you have the festering skies dlc installed disabling the bodies of the tiny little bug fuckers disables their wildly damaging bite attack and makes them useless. the correct answer is don't enable festering skies.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It's kinda funny that Festering Skies tries to add an air game. Playing X-COM Mods as I do, I've come to the conclusion that the air game being genuinely simple and mostly an afterthought was actually better than the various attempts to add more to it and that X-COM 2 just tossing it was probably overall a good idea. All the complication of the air game in Files and Piratez doesn't really add anything to the game and I can't see how adding air combat to Phoenix Point could possibly improve it.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yea, the air game in Xenonauts seemed interesting at first, but I quickly realized it wasn't what I was there for, and just added a point of campaign failure, especially if I just hit the autoresolve button.

Minigames are 'mini' for a reason, could you imagine playing the first X-com if (eg) you had to worry about plumbing in your base layout?

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

somewhere julian gollop just felt a weird twinge

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Anyway the coming Phoenix point expansion will heavily feature a pipe dreams mini game

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Forget the infamous month 1 bomb disposal mission, I just got a day 10 bomb disposal mission. It probably wasn't worth the lives of my sniper that was nearing corporal and a 1 kill heavy, but gently caress it x rays ain't gonna blow up my stuff.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Serephina posted:

Minigames are 'mini' for a reason, could you imagine playing the first X-com if (eg) you had to worry about plumbing in your base layout?

The real Terror From the Deep

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

The real Terror From the Deep

lol