Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Soral posted:

united states marines funko pop collection guy thinks you should go easy on the oppressive ruling regime's foot soldiers

I dont think the guys forcing children to use experimental war technology thatll kill them occupy a moral high ground

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Monaghan posted:

He should have spent more time developing the women characters because jesus did AGE have the absolute worst written women characters in all of gundam and that is loving saying something.

I think even his female staff/writers were like " why is this women reacting like this, no women in their right mind would do this"

Yeah, there were staff complaining in magazine articles after the show finished about different things and one of them was that when Flit is having his visions at the end of the show while Kio is trying to convince him to help the Vagan, that the female staff thought it should be his wife that he thinks of and not Yurin (god, that loving name) and Hino ignored them because he thought it romantic that it'd be Yurin if I recall. He ignored a good bit of staff advice though apparently, and also didn't show up for a lot of staff meetings. He was not a good director by the sounds of it.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
one interesting thing is that prospera still hasn't really played her hand at all yet, i was kinda expecting she would last episode but we still have no real idea what she's playing at beyond maybe "revenge" and delling might be dead anyway seemingly without her involvement.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

One thing I liked about the episode is it felt like it made the Gundams absolutely terrifying, even compared to other mechs in the universe.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

lih posted:

one interesting thing is that prospera still hasn't really played her hand at all yet, i was kinda expecting she would last episode but we still have no real idea what she's playing at beyond maybe "revenge" and delling might be dead anyway seemingly without her involvement.

I think both Delling and Prospera are invested in "Quiet Zero" whatever that is, and neither wants to betray or kill the other until that is sorted out at the very least. My one hope in that regard is that Quiet Zero isn't just a machine capable of creating an AI version of Delling's wife and/or Eri or just replicating them in some way; be that reincarnation or whatever. A story about someone trying to replicate a dead loved one can absolutely work, but only if it's the central premise like Pinocchio or something, rather than the eventual goal of secondary characters and I think both investing into that as a motive makes them unrelatable because the technology is so far out there conceptually that it just seems inhuman that either would ignore or abuse an actual living child in order to get it, presumably with Gendo Ikari style "I'm just doing this bad thing for literal decades that competely fucks up the child in front of me because after I succeed it won't matter" mindsets.

tsob fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jan 9, 2023

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Despite G Witch embracing the transhumanist themes of Gundam wholeheartedly I like how it's been keeping everyone's motivations grounded in a purely human manner so far. The most ardent "humanity must evolve!" person was Cardo in the prologue but even that was based around the practical application of technology rather than something like Char's "kill everyone on earth to force them into space for cosmic destiny" ramblings. It's less "we need to move to space to protect the species and the earth!" and more "we're in space now and it's killing us, how do we stop that?"

Aside from Cardo most everyone else is working off of incredibly human motivations like revenge, ambition and pettiness, etc. So I don't think that Quiet Zero is some doomsday device, or a super technology to raise the dead into cyborg shells. It's probably something with a primary goal of monetary value since this is corporate hell future and any benefits to humanity as a species are a secondary concern. I'm coming off a steep binge of Ghost in the Shell so it's been refreshing watching this Gundam show where not everyone has to break into a philosophical speech about the role of humanity in a machine age.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Gorelab posted:

One thing I liked about the episode is it felt like it made the Gundams absolutely terrifying, even compared to other mechs in the universe.

And then further made Aerial even more terrifying. She would have easily bodied the two lfriths if they hadn't got the gently caress out of there when they did.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

https://twitter.com/Rookie_9/status/1612358514332123137

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
That's now how you eat a tomato, Tanuki.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

lih posted:

Had she revealed her hand then I would be expecting that the series was just 24 episodes

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Arc Hammer posted:

What, you've never shotgunned a raw tomato?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Begemot posted:

What, you've never shotgunned a raw tomato?

I prefer to munch on cherry tomatoes while sending my son on suicide missions and listening to male tenors sing about home.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Had she revealed her hand then I would be expecting that the series was just 24 episodes

yeah it makes me think that the second season is already planned

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

tsob posted:

Yeah, there were staff complaining in magazine articles after the show finished about different things and one of them was that when Flit is having his visions at the end of the show while Kio is trying to convince him to help the Vagan, that the female staff thought it should be his wife that he thinks of and not Yurin (god, that loving name) and Hino ignored them because he thought it romantic that it'd be Yurin if I recall. He ignored a good bit of staff advice though apparently, and also didn't show up for a lot of staff meetings. He was not a good director by the sounds of it.

?

???

????????????????????????????

Noted unromantic thing, thinking of your wife of 20something years, as opposed to a kid who's been dead for that long.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I imagine he thought it'd be romantic in a more abstract sense for Flit to be thinking of his first love rather than his wife, looking back on someone he lost and could never get back etc. and seeking her permission since it was her death that pushed him over the edge. It's still loving stupid, and basically makes Flit the Char of that timeline, never really able to move past his mistakes even when he's supposed to be finally committing to do so, but yeah, that was his thinking regardless. I have to imagine Hino intended him to love...Emily? and not for him to ape what fans AGE actually has and make memes about Emily being his "silver medal" where he only ever thinks of Yurin when with her, but the end of the show really doesn't help with that. Flit was meant to be a pretty terrible person by the end (despite the show being unwilling to commit to him actually doing anything really over the top bad to his enemy), but he's still meant to be an at least okay father, and yet Hino is so thoughtless about the portrayal that he never bothered to show Flit at Asemu's wedding and I believe an audio drama had to be released later to cover that and go "Yes, Flit was actually there, even if you never saw him". Jesus AGE is poo poo :doh:

Let us also never forget how Asemu swore to be there for his son after feeling like his father hadn't supported him, then immediately left on a secret mission where he faked his own death and played pirate for 13 years without ever letting anyone in his family know he was still alive, all so he could prevent either side from ever getting too much power by loving with supply lines, thus drawing out the war even more. Father of the loving century material right there. And yet, no-one actually held it against him; not his son or his father. I don't think we ever even see his actual wife's reaction after it, despite his rival revealing as he's being defeated that he just wanted the kind of family Asemu had. You know, the family he had for all of one day before completely abandoning them for over a decade to go do something else entirely? Has is been mentioned that AGE is poo poo? Because it is.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

this is the g-witch thread dear customer

https://twitter.com/yamada_doujin/status/1612364018492248066

quote:

"Didn't your mother teach you? You can't do a terrorism!"
"I'm glad you saved me and all, but it didn't go this way in the anime!"
"So conservative, Miorine-san. This is commonplace in a 2D work!"

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Supremezero posted:

?

???

????????????????????????????

Noted unromantic thing, thinking of your wife of 20something years, as opposed to a kid who's been dead for that long.

Longer than that.

Flit got married before Asemu was born, so that puts the latest date at 123 AG. Kio's arc was set in 164 AG.

Flit had been married for over forty years by that point. They should have figured out if they loved each other at least sixteen years earlier. It would have been nice to know.

Speaking of parent of the year award winners, Prospera keeps looking sketchier, which is saying something considering she started the series in a Char mask. Calling Suletta "that girl" while calling Aerial her daughter is pretty close to confirming theories I used to think were crazy.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

lih posted:

yeah it makes me think that the second season is already planned

Yeah, they probably already know production wise. Like I could see that if they didn't get the extra episodes they would reveal what quiet zero was, Prospera would show her hand and you'd have a different set of deaths this episode. Like Delling might have died as well and probably even Sophie. We might not have gotten gundam slap though.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
https://twitter.com/ukikaizm/status/1612091667229839361?t=TUl5HlKOknT7_mDcYxoclA&s=19

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

I know the main take away from that is meant to be "look at Prospera doing the GUND-ARM ad!", but god drat is that one amazing Aerial cosplay, which I'm assuming is on the Prospera's kid.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

tsob posted:

I know the main take away from that is meant to be "look at Prospera doing the GUND-ARM ad!", but god drat is that one amazing Aerial cosplay, which I'm assuming is on the Prospera's kid.

Wow look at this cosplayer giving away the plot twist of Aerial's identity

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Supremezero posted:

Wow look at this cosplayer giving away the plot twist of Aerial's identity

lol

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Gripweed posted:

[it's the same thing as the first tweet below, okay]]

https://twitter.com/GalacticVespir/status/1612541689700417536

also

https://twitter.com/chained_tan/status/1612149461878476807?s=20

primaltrash fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jan 10, 2023

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Wait...when did Sunrise farm Witch out to Rooster Teeth?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

tsob posted:

Wait...when did Sunrise farm Witch out to Rooster Teeth?

Not nearly enough clipping to be a Rooster Teeth job.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Can't believe this is the second mecha show with tomato memes.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Fluffdaddy posted:

And then further made Aerial even more terrifying. She would have easily bodied the two lfriths if they hadn't got the gently caress out of there when they did.

Note that Aerial was still using the low-powered green lasers when she did so.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Arc Hammer posted:

She's clumsy.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I definitely get the idea that the Dawn of Fold, while they're doing bad things, aren't clear-cut villains. They're more deprived, desperate, and downtrodden people drunk on the first taste of power they've had in a very long time. They're the symptom, not the disease.

Remember that the last time we saw a Dilanza Sol, it was being used against Earthian protesters armed with umbrellas. That in and of itself explains a hell of a lot about Sophie as a character.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I think if you make children pilot a war machine that kills them to carry out a contract killing for money at the behest of the corporate powers oppressing you, you are a villain

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

Aerial's mom is just genre aware just like Bright, you need to get a teenager in the giant murder machine.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Gripweed posted:

I really don't think you're supposed to side with the cackling terrorists in that exchange.

It has been very firmly established that not every Spacian is a bad person responsible for the oppression of the Earthians. That was literally the whole thing with ChuChu and Suletta's relationship. The Earthians have genuine grievances but that doesn't mean all Earthians good and all Spacians bad.

Do you believe that the gundam pilot was lying about that extremely-gundam piece of setting material?

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jan 10, 2023

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

ninjewtsu posted:

Do you believe that the gundam pilot was lying about that extremely-gundam piece of setting material?

No, I'm not sure how you got that from what I said. I'm saying that individual Spacian pilot wasn't being personally hypocritical. He's just some guy. Spacians as a group maybe hypocritical, but we literally had a subplot in this very show about not judging every specific Spacian as a representative of the evils of that group.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Gripweed posted:

No, I'm not sure how you got that from what I said. I'm saying that individual Spacian pilot wasn't being personally hypocritical. He's just some guy. Spacians as a group maybe hypocritical, but we literally had a subplot in this very show about not judging every specific Spacian as a representative of the evils of that group.

Do you believe that the earthian has no right to complain about being tut-tutted at for the very behavior that got that soldier into space in the first place?

The thing about suletta and chu-chu was suletta had done nothing wrong and given chu-chu no criticism and she was still rejecting her. This soldier the gundam pilot is fighting is defending the ruling class from having their positioned threatened, it is a little different and (as typical for gundam) slightly more complicated than "point to one side as the bad guys and ignore everything they have to say or the reasons why they're there"

They're also like "terrorists" in their actions but really they're just acting as mercenaries for Grassley. What they're describing is the reason they were pushed up the wall into the mercenary life. In the previous gundam tv show these people were the protagonists.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

ninjewtsu posted:

Do you believe that the earthian has no right to complain about being tut-tutted at for the very behavior that got that soldier into space in the first place?

The thing about suletta and chu-chu was suletta had done nothing wrong and given chu-chu no criticism and she was still rejecting her. This soldier the gundam pilot is fighting is defending the ruling class from having their positioned threatened, it is a little different and (as typical for gundam) slightly more complicated than "point to one side as the bad guys and ignore everything they have to say or the reasons why they're there"

They're also like "terrorists" in their actions but really they're just acting as mercenaries for Grassley. What they're describing is the reason they were pushed up the wall into the mercenary life. In the previous gundam tv show these people were the protagonists.

I understand the character being angry, I was responding to a person in this thread saying that specific pilot was being a super huge hypocrite.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

ninjewtsu posted:

That makes them terrorists, by the way, even if they're doing it for money.

And I mean, the Earthian dude can't really talk if we want to talk about 'fighting people defending the ruling class' since the Dawn of Fold are literally doing the same thing, just covertly. And considering they have high-tier MS better than almost anyone else, they probably are being backed by the ruling class in total as opposed to just running a gig. Perhaps even Spacian corporations.They are both, to quote, the oppressive ruling regime's foot soldiers.

Which is why this isn't Obviously Good Earth vs Obviously Bad Space.

Kchama fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Jan 10, 2023

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

The difference is one of them is a gainfully employed spacian and the others have turned to dangerous extreme measures to stay afloat/have some minute resemblance of upward class mobility, because their other options were "get hosed"

Point being while their actions aren't exactly justified talking about who does and does not have the moral high ground isn't really a helpful lens to view those people through, and the soldier trying to uphold his without considering the wider implications of how convenient "don't litter" is to him vs them is supposed to reflect badly on him and humanize the terrorists a little.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Buschmaki posted:

I think if you make children pilot a war machine that kills them to carry out a contract killing for money at the behest of the corporate powers oppressing you, you are a villain

Concerning

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Man now that’s more like one of those Gundams I keep hearing about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Prospera is the real girlboss of the season