Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

TV tropes uses the concepts you learn in such a course as a blunt sledgehammer for bad faith criticism rather than as a set of tools for analysis which is how they're intended. It reduces them to rules for a checklist as opposed to a form of guidance. Chekhov's gun can be a useful term and invoking it does not necessarily align yourself with TV tropes or cinemasins though, and implying it does is somewhat bad faith. It really depends on the substance of your complaint. I never saw Army of the Dead so can't say either way.

It's all worth it for this though https://twitter.com/ShitpostGate/status/1612204636135366656?t=54aIHxea7ZoscbhH2UxhUg&s=19

Karloff fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jan 9, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

At the beginning of the movie they walk through a massive crowd of dried out, immobile zombies. The coyote (as in people smuggler, not the animal) says "You should see them when it rains" and then it never rains.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I really hate internet critics that half understand some concept like Chekovs Gun or Death of the Author. No, it doesn't mean every piece of set dressing has to be important to the plot, it could just be set dressing, and Death of the Author does not mean you can say a work means whatever you want it to be.

Or McGuffin, that one is often misread as being inherently bad. Wow what a lazy writer Tolkien is, making this magic ring the reason everything is happening!

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Aphrodite posted:

At the beginning of the movie they walk through a massive crowd of dried out, immobile zombies. The coyote (as in people smuggler, not the animal) says "You should see them when it rains" and then it never rains.

This is what I was getting at yeah, idk why people are talking about TV tropes or Cinema Sins or whatever. That scene immediately sets up a "oh poo poo this is going to be awesome" scenario that it never comes back to and it's one of the only things I can remember about the movie.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I can sort of forgive the terminator zombies and stuff because that's sequel bait (even if it was done in an exceptionally bad way), but the dried out horde gets nuked so that's not coming back.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Chekhov's gun is not in sexy lingerie and giving me a lapdance. Ding.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Aphrodite posted:

I can sort of forgive the terminator zombies and stuff because that's sequel bait (even if it was done in an exceptionally bad way), but the dried out horde gets nuked so that's not coming back.

Army of the dead just threw a bunch of insane poo poo and never went back to it. The movie literally begins with the virus being carried out from Area 51 with UFOs in the background. Then you have the robot zombies. Then you have the time loop where the crew finds their own remains.

Just batshit insanity start to finish.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Karloff posted:

The cult of personality around certain directors is very much tied to their attachment to superhero films imo. Snyder is the most extreme example, but the only other filmmakers who come close to that level of fanbase is Nolan and Raimi. Super famous directors like Spielberg and Scorcese, though more celebrated widely, don't have a vociferous fanbase in the same way.

Raimi’s cult comes from evil dead and his previous movies.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Don't get me wrong. He's maybe my favourite director - I'm not dissing Raimi fans because I am one. But when I have argued, strongly, about how awesome he is, the argument has normally been about the Spider-Man films (there are no internet slapfights about A Simple Plan). If you go to Raimimemes on reddit, it's all Spider-Man, very little Evil Dead. He was a beloved maker of cult films before Spider-Man, yes, but in terms of how the fanbase manifests in 2023, it very much feels like an outgrowth from superhero fans. Particularly those who grew up on his Spider-Man trilogy.

In fact I'd argue the key to it is a filmmaker with a very distinctive authorial style combined with a superhero character. This ends up with a very devoted fanbase. That is true for Nolan, Snyder, and Raimi.

Karloff fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jan 9, 2023

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

maybe it's just "comic book fans are obsessive"

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Comic book fans are a tiny amount of people compared to comic book movie fans.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Army of the dead just threw a bunch of insane poo poo and never went back to it. The movie literally begins with the virus being carried out from Area 51 with UFOs in the background. Then you have the robot zombies. Then you have the time loop where the crew finds their own remains.

Yeah. The movie is a ton of ideas thrown out there and not done anything with. I thought it was an ok enough spectacle on a first watch but once I actually started thinking about it I got annoyed and couldn’t get far into a second watch.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

You just fuckin' sold me on this movie better than any of the marketing did what the gently caress. All of this happens in the movie???

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Vandar posted:

You just fuckin' sold me on this movie better than any of the marketing did what the gently caress. All of this happens in the movie???

Yes, although the robot zombies are literally blink and you miss it and never addressed.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Lobok posted:

And I've got at least five others through a combo of my library card, a VPN, and some passwords from American friends.
Yeah those images don't even touch on all the free ad supported ones, free with a library card ones, ones tied to a network, or deliberately niche ones like mubi or britbox, to show all of the streaming services we have now you'd need batman's wall of surveillance monitors that morgan freeman destroys after the joker's scheme is foiled

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Aphrodite posted:

Yes, although the robot zombies are literally blink and you miss it and never addressed.

Most of the ideas are. They’re all basically one random line or shot that’s never followed up on. So like don’t watch the movie to see all that weird stuff. The generous interpretation is they’re just there for flourish and the more cynical take would be that they’re there to feed speculation about things that the film didn’t actually do.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Snyder says the robots will be addressed in the anime, and the sequel is confirmed to be called Planet of the Dead which sounds like a time to bring in aliens fully to me.

The time loop literally has a character saying "What if we're in a time loop?", although there's more subtle bits of it like the 3 AKs already in the vault.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I’m not denying the teases are in the movie. It’s just that there’s no followup or meat to any of them. They’re just passing mentions of “what the gently caress?” quick scenes. So like you can spend energy speculating about what they mean or how they could be paid off but Army of the Dead doesn’t do anything with them.

It’s why I think the rain thing is such a common complaint. Because it’s the same basic problem but unlike the other stuff it’s not some weird side thing that could be a spin-off or something, it’s part of the actual zombie movie they made that just never gets followed up on.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Aphrodite posted:

Snyder says the robots will be addressed in the anime, and the sequel is confirmed to be called Planet of the Dead which sounds like a time to bring in aliens fully to me.

Cool I wonder what fascists and sex offenders he will cast for the next film.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jamesman posted:

Time loop means just all the same ones again!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I find the people who think The Dark Knight is the pinnical of all Superhero films and nothing will improve on it. They don't get evangelical about it, but they're still, a decade on, still pretend nothing has been better.

The Doug Walkers of the world.

I'm kind of at the point is they're the best of the "realistic" superhero movies, but I don't want Superhero movies to be realistic. Also, the Joker sucks, not because the performance is bad or anything, but that version has informed so many lovely peoples behavior its retroactively ruined it.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Jamesman posted:

Didn't he replace some arsehole with Tig Notaro or do we just pretend that never happened now?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WfTEZJnv_8

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

This one feels like it gives a lot away, if you care about that.

Good shot of MODOK in there, though

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

twistedmentat posted:

I find the people who think The Dark Knight is the pinnical of all Superhero films and nothing will improve on it. They don't get evangelical about it, but they're still, a decade on, still pretend nothing has been better.

I'm kind of at the point is they're the best of the "realistic" superhero movies, but I don't want Superhero movies to be realistic. Also, the Joker sucks, not because the performance is bad or anything, but that version has informed so many lovely peoples behavior its retroactively ruined it.

I still like The Dark Knight but man I can't think of anything that's ruined a character and how other media has used them more than the Joker in that movie.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

I don’t think you can post this in the Snyder thread

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Jamesman posted:

????

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

D’Elia and Spicer.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Spicer was in it? Lmao

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

I mean, I don't think anything really has been better to be honest. Spider-Man 2 maybe, though obviously that came out first. Spiderverse perhaps. But Dark Knight is still at the very top level imo. Not sure what is Doug Walker about that (though don't really know much about Doug Walker outside of that Dan Olsen Wall video).

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Vandar posted:

I still like The Dark Knight but man I can't think of anything that's ruined a character and how other media has used them more than the Joker in that movie.

I dunno about this. While being extra creepy and having a hosed up look aren't exactly great add-on traits, Joker's biggest problem for the last... since Jason Todd died is the mixture off his willingness and ability to kill literally anyone, in ludicrous amounts, and his implausible level of competence and resilience.

Him getting into tedious circular philosophical arguments with Batman isn't half as annoying to him, a a dude in clown makeup, somehow turning into the lynchpin to several apocalyptic scenarios

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

OnimaruXLR posted:

I dunno about this. While being extra creepy and having a hosed up look aren't exactly great add-on traits, Joker's biggest problem for the last... since Jason Todd died is the mixture off his willingness and ability to kill literally anyone, in ludicrous amounts, and his implausible level of competence and resilience.

Him getting into tedious circular philosophical arguments with Batman isn't half as annoying to him, a a dude in clown makeup, somehow turning into the lynchpin to several apocalyptic scenarios

Maybe this process started in the comics first but that's how he is in The Dark Knight too. The Dark Knight is basically structured so that Joker is a crime genie who can magically predict everything and everything works out perfectly for him until the very end, with the Boat scene. Because that was the only plan that depended on other people being evil to each other, which is why it fails.

It's a good movie! But everything else just copies Super Terrorist Joker without the resolution to it.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

mycot posted:

Maybe this process started in the comics first but that's how he is in The Dark Knight too. The Dark Knight is basically structured so that Joker is a crime genie who can magically predict everything and everything works out perfectly for him until the very end, with the Boat scene. Because that was the only plan that depended on other people being evil to each other, which is why it fails.

It's a good movie! But everything else just copies Super Terrorist Joker without the resolution to it.

While I agree that comic book Joker has escalated to stupid heights where every thing now needs a body count in the thousands I wouldn't blame that on Dark Knight. In Batman 89 he racks up a huge body count too and the comic book stuff seems closer to the plans in 89 than the stuff he was pulling in DK.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
TDK film also directly adapts many of its "master serial killer Joker" scenes from Gotham Central, which is generally regarded as an amazing comic book. But it's really one of those things where the depiction gets more and more worn, less and less interesting, with each subsequent take...and there have certainly been many, many subsequent takes :sweatdrop:

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

This looks dope. I'm pretty excited for this. I am in for more Kang and more Jonathan Majors in general.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
MODOK's face is weirding me out in the Ant-Man trailer. It just gives me a vibe of they took a picture of someone's face and just blew it up so my brain is telling me that it doesn't match with everything else in the shot.

Also I was hoping for him to look way more hosed up. Like, Comic Book MODOK does not look like he's got a normal human head at all, which I think would work better for the effect here. The mask is the exaggerated design I'm looking for.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Strange how it felt such a task to get through. Outside of the beginning few minutes it was such a dull, blurry movie.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Karloff posted:

The cult of personality around certain directors is very much tied to their attachment to superhero films imo. Snyder is the most extreme example, but the only other filmmakers who come close to that level of fanbase is Nolan and Raimi. Super famous directors like Spielberg and Scorcese, though more celebrated widely, don't have a vociferous fanbase in the same way.
I'd say outside of Spielberg, a lot of New Hollywood directors do have a cult of personality with film twitter, especially since Scorsese gave digs at MCU films not being real "cinema" whatever that means

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

I do think that is certainly a dynamic. But in many ways that's more about a hatred of Marvel than a love for Scorcese. Scorcese's criticisms against Marvel, which were largely measured and thoughtful, is just used as a silly justification for film twitter types to scold people for watching superhero films and engage in old fashined elitism and shallow low art/high art distinctions. It's not like they're defending the Irishman or something.

Karloff fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jan 10, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

achillesforever6 posted:

I'd say outside of Spielberg, a lot of New Hollywood directors do have a cult of personality with film twitter, especially since Scorsese gave digs at MCU films not being real "cinema" whatever that means

People are really emotional about their love for Tarantino.