Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Ibblebibble posted:

I'm really gonna miss our 8 GCD magic phase for extended movement.

I mean what pushed you out of range for 5 GCDs anyway? Need more uptime strats if that's not covered by 4.

Axel Serenity posted:

I wanna know where people are getting these magical tanks that actually know what they're doing instead of players that press Rampart three times the whole dungeon and never on their wall pulls

Day of weekly reset dungeon runs. You run into the lifers with Ultimate glams and savage gear and you get the final boss of Troia down to 20% before his invuln and add phase and a DRK that knows exactly when to TBN so I can just keep DPSing outside of the occasional Kerachole, and then you weep because such beauty is allowed to prosper in this world.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jan 10, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Ibblebibble posted:

I'm really gonna miss our 8 GCD magic phase for extended movement.

I'm way more excited about being able to cast a couple of almost-entirely-free-floating holy spirits during filler. That's way more flexible, and depending on how you're doing the burst phase you still get 5+ spells in a row if you want.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Antivehicular posted:

Also, is all your DPS completely bulletproof here? Despite rumors otherwise, you're allowed to heal the DPS

Or, like... play AST and get really into cards?

DPS tend to do pretty okay all things considered, actually. I'll usually have to throw out Essential Dignity a couple times, but I'll rarely need to go beyond Essential Dignity.

Which you can use as indication that yes, I already main AST. I genuinely think AST is the best-designed healer because it has something else to do without needing that oh-so-demanded 'complex DPS rotation' (which wouldn't be a good idea for healers), but let's not pretend that the cards are so complex as to solve the problem.

Added this to the last post in an edit, but then like a dozen posts turned up while I was, so gently caress it, it gets a new post.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

It's just dungeon-only healers trust me. I'm tired of seeing WARs die in Savage reclears.

Yeah, that's the issue. They don't balance around dungeons, and it's only so good in dungeons. If you nerfed it there you'd need to figure out what to do in the content where balance actually matters.

Axel Serenity posted:

I wanna know where people are getting these magical tanks that actually know what they're doing instead of players that press Rampart three times the whole dungeon and never on their wall pulls

I once had a guy who said he doesn't bother with Raw Intuition (this was a lower level dungeon) because "it's only 6 seconds".

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Also even if the tanks had less self sustain, you still wouldn't be healing more often? Like you still would be trying to entirely minimize GCDs spent healing and relying entirely on oGCDs, which you already do even with a good tank since often your passive mit (Damage taken down/regens/etc) are oGCDs you're pushing to help them get through with only their own self sustain.

There's still just not enough damage in dungeons to require that kind of focused healing if you have a good tank. They will never make dungeons with that kind of damage because they are the entry level most basic content that is required for the story. Even if they did it would change anything because the design of healers in this game, even in high end content like Savage, is to not press your GCD heals anyway and learn fights and get by as much as possible with the passive heals and well times oGCDs mitigations and heals. You'd still just want to be doing what you're already doing with the dreaded INfinite HP WAR you're worried about: Pressing The Damage Buttons As Much As Possible.

None of this is caused by the WAR specifically and the other tanks are just as capable of doing this. The last time you brought this up you posted a video of a WAR soloing a normal difficulty raid in over and hour and then when pressed on it being a bad showcase of intended balance someone pointed out a PLD has already done the same thing. This isn't WAR specific and it's not over powered.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jan 10, 2023

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Axel Serenity posted:

I see them on wall pulls! At the very end of them when there's like 2 enemies left up with less than half health and the duration expires before we hit the next pack/boss.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I mean what pushed you out of range for 5 GCDs anyway? Need more uptime strats if that's not covered by 4.

Nothing I just find it really funny being able to be out in Narnia if I wanted to for a full mechanic.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Axel Serenity posted:

I see one when I look in the mirror :smaug:

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Hogama posted:

I see them on wall pulls! At the very end of them when there's like 2 enemies left up with less than half health and the duration expires before we hit the next pack/boss.

This is me sometimes, regrettably. I just reflexively think "poo poo, mit dropped, time to re-buff" and hit the button before my brain processes that there's one dude left at 30%

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n

Antivehicular posted:

This is me sometimes, regrettably. I just reflexively think "poo poo, mit dropped, time to re-buff" and hit the button before my brain processes that there's one dude left at 30%

:same:

I also frequently commit the cardinal DRK sin of forgetting to hit TBN on cooldown during pulls, but that's neither here nor there. Cough.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

i can never get my tbns properly aligned with boss autos to pop them :negative:

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I'm still in the "oh, right, I have mitigation" stage of learning tank. I do at least keep the boss facing away from the rest of the team.

One of my last runs, the healer rescued me into another pack, then everyone just started charging ahead of me. I appreciate the confidence, but it'd serve y'all right if I decided to go open a treasure chest now.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I don't imagine that I'm very good at being a gladiator yet, but recently a raid member kept smack talking that I wasn't holding aggro for the whole pack (forgive me, I don't know all the lingo yet) but my bother in cryst could you please stop attacking mobs nobody is attacking yet? Like I've got 5 guys I'm holding, and 3 of us are focusing down one at a time and he keeps attacking a new guy on his own and blaming me when they attack back.

Maybe it's my fault, I don't know what I'm doing tbh, but every party where there isn't a guy going rogue skipping the line and bringing in new adds mid combat I've held aggro just fine. But after every fight he's trying to catsplain how aggro works and telling me I'm using the wrong skills. It worked fine in the last 3 runs champ.

This is why I don't like looking at the chat box.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I'm just glad Paladin wasn't slaved to the two minute timer. Everything is still 60 seconds

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Kharmakazy posted:

I don't imagine that I'm very good at being a gladiator yet, but recently a raid member kept smack talking that I wasn't holding aggro for the whole pack (forgive me, I don't know all the lingo yet) but my bother in cryst could you please stop attacking mobs nobody is attacking yet? Like I've got 5 guys I'm holding, and 3 of us are focusing down one at a time and he keeps attacking a new guy on his own and blaming me when they attack back.

Maybe it's my fault, I don't know what I'm doing tbh, but every party where there isn't a guy going rogue skipping the line and bringing in new adds mid combat I've held aggro just fine. But after every fight he's trying to catsplain how aggro works and telling me I'm using the wrong skills. It worked fine in the last 3 runs champ.

As long as you're spamming your AOE skill while tank stance is on and you're using your mitigations on packs of mobs you're tanking dungeons right.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

Kharmakazy posted:

use your aoe

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Ibblebibble posted:

As long as you're spamming your AOE skill while tank stance is on and you're using your mitigations on packs of mobs you're tanking dungeons right.

I am, but it's not like the only skill I'm using, I'm doing the combo chain so like every 4th or 5th attack is AOE if there are multiple mobs in range, or stun if it works and there is just 1 enemy.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

the aoe doesn't chain with the single target, that's your problem

doesn't matter if you have only one aoe button at your level, just keep hammering it in the middle of packs

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012
To further explain, if you're fighting three or more enemies, it's always more damage to use your AoE, plus it prevents anyone from stealing aggro from you. Other classes may not have any AoE at low levels and thus have to focus one mob at a time, but you do, and you should be using them.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

The AoE and single-target combos are separate and independent. Don't worry about single-target on packs, just hit your two AoE buttons

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

hexwren posted:

the aoe doesn't chain with the single target, that's your problem

doesn't matter if you have only one aoe button at your level, just keep hammering it in the middle of packs

No. I'm not going to spam one attack over and over. Focus on one enemy at a time or deal with getting punched back. I'm not the one breaking aggro, he is.

I might consider it reasonable once I get at least a second AoE.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Kharmakazy posted:

No. I'm not going to spam one attack over and over. Focus on one enemy at a time or deal with getting punched back. I'm not the one breaking aggro, he is.

I might consider it reasonable once I get at least a second AoE.

you're the bad tank

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Once upon a time, when I was new to FFXIV and nervous about doing my first dungeon after not playing an MMO for years, hex entrusted me with the following piece of wisdom:

Just spin your sword in a circle.

Today, I pass that onto you. Press that AoE.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Oneiros posted:

you're the bad tank

But you're the one who's dead. If I want to press one button over and over I'll play cookie clicker. Deal with your own mistakes.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

oh my god

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

This is a good bit.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

healers are generating agro on every enemy every heal they pump into you and the dps. ranged dps tend to have potent aoe options at relatively low levels and will rip agro from anything you aren't actively hitting. your job it to hold agro and take the hit. if you don't like primarily mashing one button for ten minutes at a time then i highly recommend you stop playing tank and probably healer, in dungeons at least. if you have a problem with the play style then take it up with s-e, not your fellow players.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Kharmakazy posted:

But you're the one who's dead. If I want to press one button over and over I'll play cookie clicker. Deal with your own mistakes.

You are playing your job wrong.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I recommend reading the Potencies on your abilities if you are having trouble with it. Let's assume you're level 30, so you have all three hits of your main combo but only a single AoE on the GCD. It might feel like you're doing more damage with the big single hits and using AoE for enmity, but you absolutely are not:

Fast Blade - 200 potency
Riot Blade - 280 potency
Rage of Halone - 330 potency
Total combo potency: 810 over 3 GCDs

Total Eclipse - 100 potency per target.

Even if you are only tanking 3 enemies at once you are doing 900 potency in the same amount of time that the full combo is doing 810 potency. These numbers get even more pronounced at level 40 when you get Prominence, which is a second weaponskill for your AoE (making it a 2-hit combo) for 170 potency per target, or 1,170 potency in 3 GCDs if you're fighting 3 enemies.

Often times you're fighting way more than 3 enemies at once too, like 5-6 as you begin to pull multiple packs at once, and at that point the numbers are HUGELY stacked toward AoE abilities. But again, even at three targets and only mashing a single AoE ability over and over, it's still better.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Kharmakazy posted:

Sorry but don't feel like pressing the heal button over and over, bring some health potions or push your self-heal. Also definitely not going to heal you if you take avoidable damage.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

also if this is syq from the official forums them lmao

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Oh the person posted cringe while I was typing that. You hate to see it.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

FINAL FANTASY XIX: my bother in cryst,

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Oh my goodness it's the ghost of ARR launch era tanks that would mark a kill order on trash.

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012

Countblanc posted:

I recommend reading the Potencies on your abilities if you are having trouble with it. Let's assume you're level 30, so you have all three hits of your main combo but only a single AoE on the GCD. It might feel like you're doing more damage with the big single hits and using AoE for enmity, but you absolutely are not:

Fast Blade - 200 potency
Riot Blade - 280 potency

Even if you are only tanking 3 enemies at once you are doing 900 potency in the same amount of time that the full combo is doing 810 potency. These numbers get even more pronounced at level 40 when you get Prominence, which is a second weaponskill for your AoE (making it a 2-hit combo) for 170 potency per target, or 1,170 potency in 3 GCDs if you're fighting 3 enemies.

Often times you're fighting way more than 3 enemies at once too, like 5-6 as you begin to pull multiple packs at once, and at that point the numbers are HUGELY stacked toward AoE abilities. But again, even at three targets and only mashing a single AoE ability over and over, it's still better.

Those single-target numbers are with the potency boost you get at 84. The numbers for where OP is at are even lower, so the difference between them and AoE is even more stark.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Kharmakazy posted:

I am, but it's not like the only skill I'm using, I'm doing the combo chain so like every 4th or 5th attack is AOE if there are multiple mobs in range, or stun if it works and there is just 1 enemy.

lmao

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Countblanc posted:

Fast Blade - 200 potency
Riot Blade - 280 potency

It's important to note (perhaps for readers rather than the poster in question) that the potencies Countblanc lists here are only correct for a Paladin with the "Melee Mastery" passive somewhere after level 80. The PLD single target 1-2-3 combo is even weaker relative to AoE spam on 3+ targets than it looks like it is from the numbers here.

Edit: beaten to it

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Noper Q posted:

Those single-target numbers are with the potency boost you get at 84. The numbers for where OP is at are even lower, so the difference between them and AoE is even more stark.

ah gotcha, I just pulled the raw numbers off the job page. that makes sense.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I'm just going to say it. You're wrong. Yes that guy shouldn't have run ahead but no you never use your single target rotation on packs of enemies. If you want to be senior bad tank that's fine as long as you recognize the fact that you're wrong and as soon as you party with two RNG DPS you're going to learn the error of your ways.

edit: for beaten way past the point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

In all seriousness, if having a complex combat rotation with a lot of buttons is important to your having fun, you may just want to main DPS and not worry about healers or tanks. A good DPS player is worth their weight in gold and there's plenty to learn and practice.