Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

ArbitraryC posted:

Negative temperatures are literally nonsensical in the first place, so Celsius is just as dumb, arbitrary, and useless of a system as Farenheight and people who tend to make a big stink about it are the "I loving love science" facebook idiots who think science is a someone staring intently at a beaker as they swish it in circles.

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
coming into the hosed up things americans do thread to declare a fatwa on negative numbers

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

vyelkin posted:

coming into the hosed up things americans do thread to declare a fatwa on negative numbers

there's a germ of a good point in that as far as scientific discourse is concerned you really shouldn't be using negative numbers when discussing deltas because it just gets confusing, i.e., if there was a change from (-10) C to (+15) C, then you refer to it as a delta of 25 kelvin, but that still means fahrenheit is the hosed-up outlier because there's already a way to deal with that issue with celsius

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

gradenko_2000 posted:

there's a germ of a good point in that as far as scientific discourse is concerned you really shouldn't be using negative numbers when discussing deltas because it just gets confusing, i.e., if there was a change from (-10) C to (+15) C, then you refer to it as a delta of 25 kelvin, but that still means fahrenheit is the hosed-up outlier because there's already a way to deal with that issue with celsius
No I mean the actual definition of temperature is incompatible with the idea of there being negative temperatures and the reason Kelvin (or Rankine lmao) is necessary is as our understanding of thermodynamics increased this discrepancy became irreconcilable with the math associated with these fields. Celcius is just as made up and dumb unit of temperature measurement as farenheight is. If a country was using a scale with absolute zero they could get smug about it but afaik none do, everyone just uses something arbitrary that made sense at the time of invention for whatever reason and stuck around due to convenience.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

ArbitraryC posted:

No I mean the actual definition of temperature is incompatible with the idea of there being negative temperatures and the reason Kelvin (or Rankine lmao) is necessary is as our understanding of thermodynamics increased this discrepancy became irreconcilable with the math associated with these fields. Celcius is just as made up and dumb unit of temperature measurement as farenheight is. If a country was using a scale with absolute zero they could get smug about it but afaik none do, everyone just uses something arbitrary that made sense at the time of invention for whatever reason and stuck around due to convenience.

they make posts like this

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

lmao getting absolutely heated over the disparagement of fahrenheit

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

op i give you a peace offering

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

yellowcar posted:

op i give you a peace offering

:hmmyes:

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

gradenko_2000 posted:

you can argue FOR kelvin if you want but fahrenheit still sucks regardless

Behold, the compromise used in American aerospace engineering: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rankine_scale

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Kreeblah posted:

Behold, the compromise used in American aerospace engineering: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rankine_scale

well, this belongs in the thread

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

ArbitraryC posted:

It's for telling us about the weather, so freezing point is a very useful thing to structure it around for the vast majority of people and how they engage with it. Kelvin is good for certain science situations.

Fahrenheit's freezing point of a specific brine (???) is not useful or relevant to anything.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

gently caress up the thread with this 3 page temperature detail

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

ArbitraryC posted:

Negative temperatures are literally nonsensical in the first place, so Celsius is just as dumb, arbitrary, and useless of a system as Farenheight and people who tend to make a big stink about it are the "I loving love science" facebook idiots who think science is a someone staring intently at a beaker as they swish it in circles.

Yeah if you read my post on the matter you will see that I agree and that my objections are things like "everyone else uses this other method" and "lol Americans too dumb"

vyelkin posted:

Americans think a fatwa is a middle eastern food.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

ArbitraryC posted:

being this dreadfully stupid is another

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Weka posted:

Americans... a fat...

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

Wait in a long line of cars for 45+ minutes for gasoline at Costco to save maybe $0.10 (10 cents) per gallon. So... maybe $1.50 or $2 if you have a large gas petrol tank

Buy a whole bunch of useless poo poo that smells like "pot pourri' and "decorate" your house with things like this

and thank u for a house

palindrome has issued a correction as of 06:24 on Jan 10, 2023

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

silicone thrills posted:

I think the US is like one of the only countries in the that washes chicken eggs which is why ours aren't room temp stable for months like everyone elses eggs. Its such bullshit. And its because there's so much salmonella rampant.
Makes sense really. Keeps cost low, while pushing sales volumes up. The real mystery is that they've not developed a special egg shell-eating chicken disease to make eggs even more perishable.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

https://twitter.com/GodofEep/status/1612549057746178048

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

ArbitraryC posted:

Rankine guy spotted.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

drat this mf using kelvin

Or Rankine :twisted:

E; guess I was beat

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
they do this negative form of american exceptionalism that is somehow even more annoying than the america #1 kind. like, "ooooh, you don't understand, improving healthcare/car use/foreign policy is just impossible because we're bad in such a special snowflake way"

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Still one of the top 10 scenes in wrestling history.

Angry BIerds
Nov 3, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

ArbitraryC posted:

Negative temperatures are literally nonsensical in the first place

lmao at this

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

EEKA GEEK posted:

lmao at this

“zero? you’re the zero. get the gently caress outta here. natural numbers only.”

freezepops
Aug 21, 2007
witty title not included
Fun Shoe

ArbitraryC posted:

if you don't understand negative numbers you might literally be american.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
some people in this thread don't know their thermodynamics and it shows

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

but y'all ain't ready for that conversion

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

exmarx posted:

they do this negative form of american exceptionalism that is somehow even more annoying than the america #1 kind. like, "ooooh, you don't understand, improving healthcare/car use/foreign policy is just impossible because we're bad in such a special snowflake way"

The whole 'the american people are literally powerless to stop our government from from murdering millions'.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

palindrome posted:

Wait in a long line of cars for 45+ minutes for gasoline at Costco to save maybe $0.10 (10 cents) per gallon. So... maybe $1.50 or $2 if you have a large gas petrol tank

Buy a whole bunch of useless poo poo that smells like "pot pourri' and "decorate" your house with things like this

and thank u for a house

If you’ve never been in a Hobby Lobby it feels like being cursed. That’s the best way to explain it, you feel cursed and have an overwhelming urge to escape the Hobby Lobby. I don’t know if it’s because they’re pumping infrasound through the speakers or it’s actual curses radiating off all the looted relics.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
Speaking of ”United States of America v. Approximately Four Hundred Fifty Ancient Cuneiform Tablets and Approximately Three Thousand Ancient Clay Bullae”
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hobby_Lobby_smuggling_scandal

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010
If they're overseas and people ask "where are you from?" they'll say like "I'm from Minnesota" as if that's the name of a loving country

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
The corollary: "Paris, France"

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
Minnesota is roughly the same size as the United Kingdom, Ghana or Laos.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
Has anyone actually not clocked an American as soon as they opened their eversmiling mouth if the slovenly American travel uniform did not give it away first

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

Cuttlefush posted:

Has anyone actually not clocked an American as soon as they opened their eversmiling mouth if the slovenly American travel uniform did not give it away first

It's polite to check, lest one inadvertently insult a canadian

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

slinkimalinki posted:

It's polite to check, lest one inadvertently insult a canadian

you should insult them

Weka
May 5, 2019

I like to call Canadians American, lets face it, they basically are.

Trixie Hardcore posted:

Minnesota is roughly the same size as the United Kingdom, Ghana or Laos.

Is there anything of interest there?

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Weka posted:

I like to call Canadians American, lets face it, they basically are.

Is there anything of interest there?

Paisley Palace

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

Trixie Hardcore posted:

If you’ve never been in a Hobby Lobby it feels like being cursed. That’s the best way to explain it, you feel cursed and have an overwhelming urge to escape the Hobby Lobby. I don’t know if it’s because they’re pumping infrasound through the speakers or it’s actual curses radiating off all the looted relics.

hobby lobby is extremely cursed. I know it's a funny internet term but goddamn, spend 30 minutes in there trying to buy a gift of... Lily® Sugar 'n Cream® Solid Yarn | Hobby Lobby and you'll feel it. I was a 90s kid so I understand the low-key energy of these yarn stores but it is tremendously magnified, and unashamedly in your face which (I hope) makes it uniquely American. Rest assured as you are slowly cruising through strip-mall parking lots with ample speed bumps, that you will observe multiple 50-year-old women angrily stomping to and from this franchise store, hauling their various holiday or "live life love/wine tomorrow" merchandise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Weka posted:

No, because unlike Americans, I do not seek to punish my enemies but to reform or disempower them.

Lol get a load of this appeaser