Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Majorian posted:

I think this is a pretty dumb slapfight. I think we can all agree that the NYT has a lot of pro-Ukraine bias in its reporting on this war.

All true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Majorian posted:

I think this is a pretty dumb slapfight. I think we can all agree that the NYT has a lot of pro-Ukraine bias in its reporting on this war.

I have it at 50% there is a reply to this that proves otherwise.

e: You win some you lose some, much like Fort Vaux.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

mlmp08 posted:

That’s not what Ardennes said at all. His posts are right here in the thread.

The claim you are making instead is a more reasonable starting point. Saying the war has gone very poorly for Russia and Ukraine is a much more accurate reading of the reporting than Ardennes’ claims.

right, so your interpretation of ardennes' original post is that he claims that the NYT is exclusively printing stories proclaiming doom for russia

i do not think that this is a reasonable interpretation, since no reasonable person reading westen media would hold this position - at the very least, the rational response to such a claim would be something like "is this your actual opinion?" rather than a rebuttal

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

V. Illych L. posted:

no, this is not a reasonable take on the posts in question (i.e., the quoted posts). ardennes clearly claims that the NYT has a preponderance of stories telling its intendend audience that russia is doing very poorly and taking relatively huge losses, and sum seems to be to be saying that disagreeing with this is stupid, because the NYT is obviously pro-ukrainian and has a political agenda in its reporting. you responded by providing three counter-examples, which is a decent start, but it doesn't reply to the charge of a preponderance of coverage. one would need something like a statistical test to adequately address this kind of claim

I would say at least in one of the quoted bloc that is also an element of bias. Just because for example, the Ukrainians may have difficulty taking back all of their territory, doesn’t necessarily contrast the “heavy casualty” narrative as that quote follows up that the Russians are “known” for absorbing heavy casualties according to it.

That is the thing about narrative construction in the Western press, it doesn’t necessarily have to be “Ukraine is unstoppable any second” but shaping the perspective of the reader to what they want.

I would say the casualty narrative is absolutely essential to the West though (so far) since it makes it seem the Ukrainians have a chance and the Russians are weak/clumsy and easily countered by the West.

Also, the “defeat” is an ultimate conclusion that there is no way for Russia to demand terms from the Ukrainians.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 06:30 on Jan 10, 2023

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

It just occurred to me that the Battle of Przemyśl would be a far more natural comparison, thousands of kilometres closer if nothing else. How has that slipped by these NYT writers? Conscious or unconscious omission?

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Frosted Flake posted:

It just occurred to me that the Battle of Przemyśl would be a far more natural comparison, thousands of kilometres closer if nothing else. How has that slipped by these NYT writers? Conscious or unconscious omission?

the name has too many consonants and is enormously less famous

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
mlmp please stop posting like fishmech

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Frosted Flake posted:

The existence of Austria-Hungary has probably slipped by half of these goobers.
Personally I think all these battles are far too big to be valid comparisons.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

V. Illych L. posted:

right, so your interpretation of ardennes' original post is that he claims that the NYT is exclusively printing stories proclaiming doom for russia

My interpretation is that this below is an unsupported claim. Maybe Ardennes was not being serious and was being dramatic. It’s inventing a version of reporting that never actually existed. The NYT was never making such outlandish claims, in spite of their clear pro-Ukraine stance.

So I think you and sum are making a different and more reasonable argument (NYT has pro-Ukraine bias, but hasn’t declared endless defeats for Russia).

Ardennes posted:

(Even the NYT has pivoted from the pervious narrative "of endless defeat and slaughter for Russian forces")

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

mlmp08 posted:

My interpretation is that this below is an unsupported claim. Maybe Ardennes was not being serious and was being dramatic. It’s inventing a version of reporting that never actually existed. The NYT was never making such outlandish claims, in spite of their clear pro-Ukraine stance.

So I think you and sum are making a different and more reasonable argument (NYT has pro-Ukraine bias, but hasn’t declared endless defeats for Russia).

is this your honest to god reading of ardennes' post

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Keeping the polish spelling just because it's "latin" is a mistake, ain't anyone gonna be able to read that.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

V. Illych L. posted:

is this your honest to god reading of ardennes' post

I quoted him directly; I did not edit his words. I think he gave either an ignorant or dishonest account of the facts. Not sure which one.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

quote:

Ivan Katchanovski, Ukrainian-Canadian political scientist who teaches at the University of Ottawa, is exposing US media lies about the Ukraine proxy war. And, like many Useful Idiot guests, no one will report on his story.

This week, Katchanovski shares his research on the Maidan Massacre, a mass killing of Ukrainians protesting the Yanukovich government in February 2014. The US and opposition leaders blamed Yanukovich, triggered a coup and the ensuing civil war that radically escalated with Russia’s invasion eight years later.

But when Professor Katchanovski dug into video, witness testimony, and other evidence which reveals who really committed the massacre — including footage that CNN tried to bury — he was ignored by mainstream media for attempted disruption of the approved narrative.

But now he’s joining the Useful Idiots to tell us what really happened: the massacre, he argues, was carried out by pro-Maidan snipers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6ic5qSyQZ4&t=1480s

accent was a bit difficult to get through, but still worth a listen

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
didn't read any of the last few pages or posts but stfu mlmp

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

crepeface posted:

didn't read any of the last few pages or posts but stfu mlmp

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Frosted Flake posted:

It doesn't even show up on the map in Hearts of Iron, how do you expect anyone to know?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
Yeah I guarantee you not a single person working at the NYT has ever heard of that siege.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Nobody at the NYT knows anything about Verdun either, it's just pop culture shorthand for big muddy meat grinder. FF has a very specific type of autism that gets stuck on stuff like that all the time.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
Well at least he isn't running a drug and human trafficking ring

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
and better yet he isn't mlmp

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Cuttlefush posted:

Well at least he isn't running a drug and human trafficking ring

I don't think any green berets are posting here.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Frosted Flake posted:

dont follow this chain of reasoning. verdun makes some sense, how is it like przemysl at all?

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Fuligin posted:

dont follow this chain of reasoning. verdun makes some sense, how is it like przemysl at all?

I think the reasoning is that during that Austrians (the defender) were moderately more on the losing end. I personally don’t thinks Soledar/Bakhmut was like either one.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Majorian posted:

Yeah I guarantee you not a single person working at the NYT has ever heard of that siege.

I doubt anyone working at the NYT has even seen Blade 1, starring Wesley Snipes.

Their audience doesn't require any actual in depth analysis anyway so knowledge of sieges would be a waste.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

DancingShade posted:

I doubt anyone working at the NYT has even seen Blade 1, starring Wesley Snipes.

And Stephen Dorff. Don't you dare forget Stephen Dorff.

Even though the world already has...

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
the retreat from Kherson was similar to the Battle of Galicia

which makes today the Gorlice-Tarnow Offensive

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/zhao_dashuai/status/1612355748666970112

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Majorian thread ban mlmp

Majorian posted:

Nah, everyone ITT hates him and he needs to stop posting here.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Majorian posted:

And Stephen Dorff. Don't you dare forget Stephen Dorff.

Even though the world already has...

He was great in True Detective season 3

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Weka posted:

Majorian thread ban mlmp

Nah, this thread needs at least one lightning rod. Otherwise it turns in on itself, not unlike a beaver’s teeth curving around until it pierces its own brain, which is a thing that happens in nature. mlmp is the log upon which this beaver of a thread must chew occasionally. This is a perfect metaphor.

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

He was great in True Detective season 3

I didn’t know he was in that. I stopped after season 1 but I might skip to 3.

Majorian has issued a correction as of 09:53 on Jan 10, 2023

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
he should be confined to only be able to post in this thread

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

crepeface posted:

he should be confined to only be able to post in this thread

Does he post anywhere else? I’ve literally never seen him post anywhere else.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

I would like to hear why it’s reasonable to compare this to Verdun at all, since even casual familiarity with the battle paints a very bleak picture for Ukraine.

The disparity in firepower is honestly more like the Belgian soldiers in top hats and bicycles defending Liege with dog-drawn machine guns.

Wtf

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Majorian posted:

Does he post anywhere else? I’ve literally never seen him post anywhere else.

HE'S LIVING IN THE VERY WALLS OF THE THREAD

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The real mlmp was the friends we made along the way

Baykin
Feb 11, 2008
threadbanning mlmp would just cause someone else to fill his role as the local thread dipshit, as evidenced by every other thread that has ever existed. a part of me cant help but think that its an actual job position that has to be filled.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Oh wow, I wake up from a night's sleep and open the thread to see...mlmp08 posts.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Baykin posted:

threadbanning mlmp would just cause someone else to fill his role as the local thread dipshit, as evidenced by every other thread that has ever existed. a part of me cant help but think that its an actual job position that has to be filled.

so you're saying we should deport mlmp to russia and have a local cspam resident take up the job

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/bctallis/status/1612105946012033026

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
So how important (or not) is russia taking Soledar and Bakhmut at this point.