Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
Softened some edges and added some aesthetics, now it's looking a lot better. Thanks for the recommendations! I'll still likely do a mountain base soon but this is feeling a bit more cozy:

Edit: the hospital symbol is super out of place though, gonna remove that.

Garfu fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Jan 10, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

Garfu posted:

Softened some edges and added some aesthetics, now it's looking a lot better. Thanks for the recommendations! I'll still likely do a mountain base soon but this is feeling a bit more cozy:

Do you have a mod that does that? I thought diagonals just manifested as jagged edges

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
man the process of writing rimworld.mods is not, particularly well documented, huh

also I hate.writing C#

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Kestral posted:

Has anyone seen some good melee testing setups? I'm looking to evaluate the effects of some mod equipment with unusual modifiers, wondering if there's a nicely scientific melee testing setup some streamer or what-have-you has done that I can use as my baseline.

Specifically, Medieval Overhaul and Vanilla Expanded: Medieval both add shields in a custom inventory slot, which provide a good chunk of armor at the cost of -5 melee dodge chance. They also have some weird coverage: their Layer only covers the fingers, but they have a "Protects" category which I've never seen before, and that covering Neck, Torso, Arms, and Hands. That -5 dodge chance is brutal but unskilled fighters rarely dodge anyway, so I'm inclined to do some testing to see if what the skill ranges are where shield use is viable, and what this mysterious "Protects" category is all about.

Have someone with the gear you want to test. Have a few other colonists with a spread from naked to heavily armored, high to low melee skill. Save game. Commence to beat the piss out of designated targets in the name of :science:. Reload.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Rimworld showed up in my "Steam Replay 2022" as one of my most played games. It was the only one to have a tagline, and the tagline was

quote:

You've spent at least some time in 2022 figuring out if organ harvesting was worth the effort.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

You've spent at least some time in 2022 trying to decide if your prisoner deserves to keep that lung

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

HolHorsejob posted:

Do you have a mod that does that? I thought diagonals just manifested as jagged edges

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2859965620

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

My colony of mythological figures finally left the rim to join the Imperial Fleet, and I got one final shot of the group before they boarded the shuttle.

Everyone except Mercury who boarded the shuttle and refused to help any of the animals. Even the High Stellarch, who the day before popped the melons of four dying pig men with perverse glee, went into the barn to carry a baby chick to safety.

The final day was kind of nice and quiet. And it ended movie perfect - the cat people and their countess lifted off and flew into the setting sun.

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

Garfu posted:

why is your stuff just sitting on the floor instead of packed thrice densely on some nice pretty shelves!?

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I just noticed too that you've got research benches sharing a room with an art bench and a stonecutter's table. Both of those drop cleanliness by 5, which slows down research benches.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

chunks, too, bring down cleanliness

mucky rocks

e: butchering does not care at all about cleanliness, amusingly, so the sterile tiles are kinda wasted. do it in a filthy pit and it's cool

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

Whats with all the robot sex avatars?
I'm annoyed that workbenches will let me set a zone to drop off the end products, but not shelves.

I have a one-tile stockpile zone for raw food next to my kitchen (pineapples from vanilla plants expanded, so one stack makes loads of meals), and a shelf for them to put it down and keep cooking.
The shelf has a lower priority than the shelves in the freezer so someone'll haul it over.
I would *like* my cook to put it down somewhere that can store more than one stack.

Are there any mods or have I missed a handy button?

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

chunks, too, bring down cleanliness

mucky rocks

e: butchering does not care at all about cleanliness, amusingly, so the sterile tiles are kinda wasted. do it in a filthy pit and it's cool

Lysidas posted:

why is your stuff just sitting on the floor instead of packed thrice densely on some nice pretty shelves!?

Yeah the answer to all of this at this point is: it doesn't matter. With 350 mods all of that stuff is solved by other stuff. I start neolithic and then slow down research speed on top of that by 0.5x. If I want to research at 3k% speed I can deck one pawn out with legendary bionics. Who cares about an unclear research area (never mind that I had already moved research to it's own dedicated room by the time of your posts). Everything is already solved so I just kinda make fun out of other things. What's the point of putting everything on a shelf if you're using a stack mod and you'll never run out of space anyway? etc.

I still have fun with the different mod combinations and permadeath before getting to that godly power stage so it's all good.

This also obviously contributes to the lack of creativity and desire to make things look cool but using some of the suggestions from earlier I'm excited to focus on that for my next run.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Related to research, inspired by the mr.streamer's rimworld rpg campaign, I've been having a lot of fun locking all research behind techprints with Lost Technology Core. It forces me to go do quests and caravan out and it stops me from powergaming to level up faster.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

You want in order of importance:

Food
Beds
A clean kitchen
Laboratory
A rec room
Workshop
Whatever else

A laboratory should be extremely clean and dedicated to science.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Your laboratory can also double as your hospital - there's no reason to not consolidate the two together.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I usually put a little refrigerator with herbal medicine (or a stack of medicine) in my apartment buildings for first aid, and just treat them in their beds. Bedrooms are almost always very clean, which is the biggest determinant of infections in my experience.

Once you get to the point where you can build a dedicated hospital, you're probably in the "I don't think I can lose" stage anyways. I never thought to put a medical bed in the lab, though!

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Install a mod to add glass walls, put the research benches on the opposite side of the wall as the hospital beds. Turn it into an operating theater/research hospital outright.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Combine it with the Hospitality mod to make Club Med. Folks come from all over the Rim for luxury surgery vacations.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

jokes posted:

I usually put a little refrigerator with herbal medicine (or a stack of medicine) in my apartment buildings for first aid, and just treat them in their beds. Bedrooms are almost always very clean, which is the biggest determinant of infections in my experience.

Once you get to the point where you can build a dedicated hospital, you're probably in the "I don't think I can lose" stage anyways. I never thought to put a medical bed in the lab, though!

I'll tend colonists in their own beds in the early game but having a hospital becomes useful in the midgame when you can reasonably expect three or four guests needing patching up at a time but already transitioned away from barracks housing. Hospital beds are also great for their surgery bonus when you're installing bionics but that's probably in the can't lose phase you mentioned.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

jokes posted:

A "dedicated hospital" is "a clean/sterile room with a bunch of beds in it". It's not really a big investment of resources beyond the sterile flooring(which you'll want for your lab and/or biosculptors if you're using them).

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Usually right after a battle your pawns will be bleeding all over the place so their bedrooms will become very dirty if you don't have a hospital. It's easier to clean up a hospital, and the sterile floor gives you some buffer against infection chance - plus you want to start using bionics long before you've snowballed to victory, all the more reason to go for hospital beds

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

You can also build your hospital close to your killbox entrance, minimizing the amount of time it takes to get wounded pawns to safety/treatment. As a bonus, you can also build your prison adjacent to your hospital for the same benefits for prisoners.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Is there a mod to give my miners a little miner helmet with a headlamp?

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

lunar detritus posted:

Related to research, inspired by the mr.streamer's rimworld rpg campaign, I've been having a lot of fun locking all research behind techprints with Lost Technology Core. It forces me to go do quests and caravan out and it stops me from powergaming to level up faster.

This is awesome, restarted with it + Reinvented Research.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Wrr posted:

I feel like pawn-carried lights might tank tickrate as it calculates, which might be why I haven't seen any.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird
What are some good quality of life mods?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

No Default Shelf Storage

Character Editor - Usually I just use this for setting up my starting pawns but can be used mid-gameplay too

Smarter Construction - This comes in handy if you're building thick walls, pawns will no longer seal themselves into tiny tombs by mistake

Replace Stuff - This lets you "construct" walls directly on top of old walls, when the new wall finishes the old wall gets deconstructed. So you can keep a room fully enclosed while you replace what its walls are made of. Also lets you place walls on minable rocks

Graze Up - While grazing, animals will remove a percentage of a plant's growth (proportional to the nutrition they consumed) instead of always destroying the plant outright, and animals can eat plants that were recently snowed-over

Allow Tool - Probably my most important mod, it adds a bunch of really useful things

Auto-Extract Genes - This adds a checkbox to the health tab to designate a pawn for gene extraction whenever their genes finish regrowing

Self Lit Hydroponics

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jan 11, 2023

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

HolHorsejob posted:

What are some good quality of life mods?
In addition to QuarkJets' stuff (some of which I'll add to my own game),

Auto Links - adds links in an item or recipe's description to various items or recipes related to it.

Random's Gene Assistant - (Biotech) Adds color to the background of a gene based on whether or not you have it in your gene banks.

Research Whatever - When a research completes, pawns pick the cheapest one to start automatically. Useful if, like me, you forget to assign a new one, which has lead to me being surprised in multiple games by researching stew cooking.

Pocket Sand - This lets you equip multiple weapons and swap between them with one click. Most recently useful when an imperial trooper armed with a triple rocket launcher landed to help defend me against a mech cluster. I gave her a pistol from my own stocks so she wouldn't have had to run up and start punching robots after her initial shot. Combat Extended compatible.

[GMT] Trading Spot - Put down a marker for trading caravans and visitors to hang out. No more trampling your flower gardens and mucking up your shower rooms. Unless you're into that.

Enter Here - Put down a marker on the edge of the map where traders and visitors will try to enter. Has options that let you make raiders come in from that spot, too.

Craft With Color - Dye and style an item directly from the production bill. Includes full RGB color.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Wrr posted:

Yes!

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=755227567

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

Self Lit Hydroponics
Oh wow, this one feels like cheating vs the hoops you have to jump through in the base game with spacing and sunlamps and everything, but when you think about it the hoops you have to jump through are dumb bullshit, so I love this. Thanks for mentioning it.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

If it makes you feel better they take a little more electricity than a sun lamp + normal hydroponics would

It's lame as poo poo that you can't completely fill a sunlamp's area with hydroponics, this is unacceptable

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

VE furniture expanded does tileable hydroponics. more expensive than the troughs

i misread them for the longest time as tillable hydroponics, which made no fuckin' sense to me

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Okay so! I'm playing wretches, who are unstable lab experiments who get weird random genes daily. (from alpha genes)

I am also playing WVC-genes which has an armless gene. That causes pawns to break/remove their arms via hediff. No way to undo this outside of swapping to artificial limbs or other super expensive methods.

I fixed it once with character editor, no big deal....

my pawns rolled it again
and again

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

QuarkJets posted:

It's lame as poo poo that you can't completely fill a sunlamp's area with hydroponics, this is unacceptable

You can pack it to 4 empty squares which is fine for filling in with miscellaneous things. Heater, firefoam popper, standing lamp (to eliminate darkness penalties for working at night), statue.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

sir this is a terrible place for cloudwatching

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

isndl posted:

You can pack it to 4 empty squares which is fine for filling in with miscellaneous things. Heater, firefoam popper, standing lamp (to eliminate darkness penalties for working at night), statue.

This post is more offensive than that dude transplanting thrumbo dicks onto people

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

QuarkJets posted:

This post is more offensive than that dude transplanting thrumbo dicks onto people

Fine, you can fill the 4 empty squares with thrumbo dicks, it’s fine.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Also the best hydroponics packing scheme I saw starts with a swastika.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Unfortunately it's kind of hard to avoid winding up swastikesque with patterns like these. Fortunately there's I think four variant options to an optimal layout so you can avoid it if you place them carefully.