Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Muir posted:

Basing is just the sculpted bases they come on, but here’s my Da Kunnin Krew.

ohhh is that Warcry or Underworlds warband I guess? I like that you did an alternate flesh color!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

I love it, especially the green glow effect. How did you do the copper?

Thanks!
Ruddy brown, Working up to pinky orange, then pink, then cream for extreme highlights. Twinkling lights abt52 oil paint for verdigris.
On the front part I added a bit of green to everything, on the back I added a dark blue - as the front copper I wanted to be affected by the glow affect.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

tangy yet delightful posted:

ohhh is that Warcry or Underworlds warband I guess? I like that you did an alternate flesh color!

Yeah, Underworlds. I'm realizing now that that image is really poor quality. Here are a few that are a little better:

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
Today in soulbound, first game with a new PC engineer, vampire lord teleports behind u nani and clobbers me for 11 damage.
I had 9 toughness, 2 armor, and his attack did one rend
So basically his sword got caught halfway through my helmet and then found out ironweld types, or at least the kind that survive to become PCs, are basically raging chimps with high explosives as I fired the blunderbuss grenade launcher repeatedly at our feet while dodging all damage I was doing thanks to a combo of quick reload, demolition expert, and lots of mettle.

Always wear your PPE folks, and do not stand between a tradesman and his nicotine/caffeine/pain killer money.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

So I was able to find some locals who are just getting started out with playing AoS!

I haven't played yet but it looks like soon (everyone nearby plays 40k, but seems there are a few small groups here and there I'm learning about)

I'm trying to figure out what small 500pt bundle of minis to bring. Here's what I got:

Gloomspite Gitz:
Stampeding Squigalanche
Skragrott the Loonking
Fungoid Cave-Shaman Snazzgar Stinkmullett
Grinkrak's Looncourt

Ossiarch Bonereapers:
Mortisan Tithe-Echelon
Gothizzar Harvester
Mortisan Boneshaper
Kainan's Reapers
Necropolis Stalkers

Stormcast Eternals:
Stormcast 1/2 of the Dominion Box, google says should be like 1350 or something points?

Not looking for meta just looking for fun. I want to figure out how to bring the underworld minis...

also for GSG, I know I'm getting gobbopalooza when that's back in stock, for sure, but would getting "loonboss" be worth it? sounds like a "lord" unit or "hq" but it looks rad, so I might get it anyways

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/01/10/chaos-warriors-and-exalted-heroes-of-chaos-dress-to-impress-in-their-new-kits/

A closer look at the new Chaos Warrior and Exalted Champion kits. For anyone who wants to gawk at sprue pics.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

GreenBuckanneer posted:

So I was able to find some locals who are just getting started out with playing AoS!

I haven't played yet but it looks like soon (everyone nearby plays 40k, but seems there are a few small groups here and there I'm learning about)

I'm trying to figure out what small 500pt bundle of minis to bring. Here's what I got:

Gloomspite Gitz:
Stampeding Squigalanche
Skragrott the Loonking
Fungoid Cave-Shaman Snazzgar Stinkmullett
Grinkrak's Looncourt

Ossiarch Bonereapers:
Mortisan Tithe-Echelon
Gothizzar Harvester
Mortisan Boneshaper
Kainan's Reapers
Necropolis Stalkers

Stormcast Eternals:
Stormcast 1/2 of the Dominion Box, google says should be like 1350 or something points?

Not looking for meta just looking for fun. I want to figure out how to bring the underworld minis...

also for GSG, I know I'm getting gobbopalooza when that's back in stock, for sure, but would getting "loonboss" be worth it? sounds like a "lord" unit or "hq" but it looks rad, so I might get it anyways

I wouldn't use the underworld minis. They tend to be a pain in the rear end to use because every model ends up with a unique weapon, attack range, etc. This means the Looncourt has 4 different weapons, with 3 different ranges (16", 2", 1"), different to hit / wound rolls, etc. Mollog's Mob is the only underworlds team I've found that works ok in Age of Sigmar when I've tried to use them, because the other models aren't gameplay models (they don't die / have attack ranges / etc) so you're basically just bringing a troggoth.

500 point games for age of sigmar are kind of a challenge to play for Age of Sigmar, more-so than 40k, but if you're with other new players and mostly just looking to play introductory games to learn it, you should be able to make it work.

I wouldn't randomize the mission to do with the small lists, I would sit down with your opponent and both lists, and try to pick a mission that both of you have a chance of doing much on. At 500 points, you're just not going to have a ton of units to chase after objectives. Realistically you'll probably just play "We put our models on opposite ends of the table, last team standing wins" and not do much for objectives.

I don't know much about the other factions, but for Gitz I would recommend, to make an OK 500 point game:
Leaders: Fungoid Cave-Shaman and Loonboss on Giant Cave Squig (make him your general)
Units: Squig Herd, Boingrot Bounders

This comes out to 450 points, and you have a wizard, so you can bring an endless spell if you can proxy in anything for one.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/01/11/old-world-development-diary-explore-the-war-torn-lands-of-the-world-that-was/

Have an Old World update, featuring some good art and finally some info about the game itself.

quote:

Our goal was to create a game that captures the best elements of all the editions of Warhammer Fantasy Battle, but at the same time providing new and exciting rules, and fresh challenges to overcome.

quote:

It’s important to remember, though, that even though the setting is returning, these events still happened, and that the Old World was destroyed. The End Times had long been foreshadowed in the background of Warhammer Fantasy Battle.

quote:

With the end of the world well documented, the design team wanted to explore the earlier history of the Old World in more depth, to examine events in the history of Warhammer in more detail than ever before. But which part of its long and storied history should they focus on? Go too far back in time – to the War of the Beard or the time of Sigmar for example – and the setting would have become unfamiliar.

This led us to events well known to fans of the Old World, the Great War Against Chaos and the Siege of Praag, two centuries before the End Times. More precisely, we decided to look into the decades prior to this legendary world-changing event. In those years before the Chaos Lord Asavar Kull led his armies south against the nations of Men and Dwarfs, the Empire of Man was not the unified nation that bravely faced the armies of Archaon that players of Warhammer Fantasy Battle will remember. Instead, it was deeply divided and ravaged by war following long centuries without the unifying presence of a single Emperor.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
Are they going to have the balls to give us a Not!Martin Luther

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Still nothing about miniatures... I suppose that means is not coming out this year.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

We're not even two weeks into 2023 yet. :v:

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Hah, good point :haw:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Ronwayne posted:

Today in soulbound, first game with a new PC engineer, vampire lord teleports behind u nani and clobbers me for 11 damage.
I had 9 toughness, 2 armor, and his attack did one rend
So basically his sword got caught halfway through my helmet and then found out ironweld types, or at least the kind that survive to become PCs, are basically raging chimps with high explosives as I fired the blunderbuss grenade launcher repeatedly at our feet while dodging all damage I was doing thanks to a combo of quick reload, demolition expert, and lots of mettle.

Always wear your PPE folks, and do not stand between a tradesman and his nicotine/caffeine/pain killer money.

The Bright Wizard in my Soulbound game basically became an immortal fireball of death overtime.

Managed to 2 shot a Daemon Prince using armour piercing fire bolts that were doubled.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

MonsterEnvy posted:

The Bright Wizard in my Soulbound game basically became an immortal fireball of death overtime.

Managed to 2 shot a Daemon Prince using armour piercing fire bolts that were doubled.

....I am kinda curious how that worked out mechanically.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
After multiple games of watching different armies bounce off of his ghosts, our local Nighthaunt player has decided that maybe he should play a different army.

Whoever decided that 4+ saves that ignored rend, free ward saves and the ability to cheaply bring stuff back should all go in one army is an idiot.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Warden posted:

....I am kinda curious how that worked out mechanically.

Basically he buffed all of his Channelling to max, had Realm Affinity from being in Aqshy, acquired the talent Meditative Channelling (CoO), got the Pain is Power Talent (CoO), got the Talent Spell Weave (Also CoO).

Having buffed his Mind as well to 5 he had a natural pool of 9, increased to 12 with Mettle, Meditative Channelling gave him another 3 Dice when he used it. And Pain is Power could give him up to 3 dice when he got wounded. With Spell Weave he could cast Fireball plus an Armor Piercing Firebolt he had created using the Spell Creation system at the same time.

The reason I said he was immortal was because he knew the Spell From the Ashes which causes you to come back to life if you die while it's active, Pain is Power allows him to cast a spell for free as a reaction when he is wounded, If he would get mortally wounded from an attack or be close to it, he would cast From the Ashes so he would return to life if whatever followed his wounds killed him.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

MonsterEnvy posted:

Basically he buffed all of his Channelling to max, had Realm Affinity from being in Aqshy, acquired the talent Meditative Channelling (CoO), got the Pain is Power Talent (CoO), got the Talent Spell Weave (Also CoO).

Having buffed his Mind as well to 5 he had a natural pool of 9, increased to 12 with Mettle, Meditative Channelling gave him another 3 Dice when he used it. And Pain is Power could give him up to 3 dice when he got wounded. With Spell Weave he could cast Fireball plus an Armor Piercing Firebolt he had created using the Spell Creation system at the same time.

The reason I said he was immortal was because he knew the Spell From the Ashes which causes you to come back to life if you die while it's active, Pain is Power allows him to cast a spell for free as a reaction when he is wounded, If he would get mortally wounded from an attack or be close to it, he would cast From the Ashes so he would return to life if whatever followed his wounds killed him.

Your buddy basically built a Phoenix?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/01/12/eternus-build-mounted-leaders-to-shake-the-realms-for-your-slaves-to-darkness-army/

A closer look at the Eternus, Blade of the First Prince model for those who want to see how uncovertable the model really is.

Edit:
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/01/12/warhammer-age-of-sigmar-metawatch-new-season-new-battlescroll/

And here's the new Metawatch article with Battlescroll.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Jan 12, 2023

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Finally Bounty Hunters is gone!

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team
Hmm, they knocked down almost every Underworlds warband by 10/20 points. That’s kinda fun.

Terratina
Jun 30, 2013

The Deleter posted:

After multiple games of watching different armies bounce off of his ghosts, our local Nighthaunt player has decided that maybe he should play a different army.

Whoever decided that 4+ saves that ignored rend, free ward saves and the ability to cheaply bring stuff back should all go in one army is an idiot.

In my experience, Nighthaunt are good on the attack but have a tendency to fold like paper on the attack back - I don't see them as particularly overpowered. What's your experience been?

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Terratina posted:

In my experience, Nighthaunt are good on the attack but have a tendency to fold like paper on the attack back - I don't see them as particularly overpowered. What's your experience been?

So caveats for my experience - I'm not a tourney player, and have played maybe 4 or 5 games of 3.0 across the past month or so.

My experience is generally that I hang back until turn 2, which is when my deepkin stuff traditionally starts to actually do things. I run at them hard to get into combat. I usually have a King decked out with Arcane Tome, Flaming Weapon and Unstoppable Fury alongside a shark, and then Namarti to control the board more. I pop the High Tide effect on the king and try and target himself and maybe the shark - if I get 3 that's nice but I don't need that.

What then happens is that those attacks do nothing or don't kill enough things. He then brings back 3 models of whatever I've killed, charges back and everything dies because Deepkin don't have 4+ unrendable saves stacked with ward saves across the board. This usually ends games by turn 3, or 2 if I'm unlucky.

I think if I rebuild my army to focus more on sheer volume of attacks, rather than going for quality, then maybe I can overwhelm him? But Namarti are 5+ 1 wound bodies so if it doesn't work then they just sort of explode. I might shell out for a Soulrender to see if I can do that ressurection trick back. The current GHB with Bounty Hunters also exacerbates the problem I think.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

FWIW Nighthaunt aren't overpowered. The recent Metawatch article had them at a perfect 50% win rate. They do however benefit hugely from Bounty Hunters, since the Cruciator lets them effectively ignore their opponent's BHs.

It's kinda hard to give you advise since we don't know what your opponent is bringing, but Namarti going into BH Nighthaunt is going to have a very bad time.

quote:

I run at them hard to get into combat.

This sounds like a mistake. You have a vested interest in being cagey until turn 3, where you get army-wide strikes first, which is massive.

I'm not too knowledgeable of IDK, but if you just run into the middle and try to brawl against Nighthaunt, that probably won't work very well for all the reasons you outlined.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Yeah, you want to play early turns defensively, using your shipwrecks and forcing the ghosts, who have few ranged attacks, to overextend out of their intended positions while you play the mission. Turn 3 is always going to be your best kill turn as Idoneth. Namarti bows are a good way to harry the ghosts while you build position, and you’re going to wait to set up to take out key units on turn 3 with the aid of buffs from your casters and Thrallmaster if you have ‘em. Smash King and the sharks will be especially explosive in High Tide and can swing it out of turn with his command ability, but you want to maximize your combats because even your cav isn’t super tanky.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Ok, I'll try taking this on board for the next time we play.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Also, what point size are you playing? If you're playing less than a full size game that can wildly affect how balanced some factions are against each other.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Is the chariot in the new SoD box a new kit, or is it still the old one?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Looks to be the same one that you can get separately.
So the old new one.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Z the IVth posted:

Your buddy basically built a Phoenix?

Basically. I could still threaten him with some other stuff still, but he was for sure the most dangerous force on the field.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Making progress....these bases are nice looking but I didn't realize how crowded they are, you can see what I had to do to get the loonboss to work

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I built the snake ladies I got in the supply drop and they're so rad I proceeded to buy 20 more low cost snake ladies from FB and 15 khinerai. Also bought Morathi.

Looks like I'm back on my bullshit this is going to be fun. Terrifying models to paint.

Also learned after smashing that purchase button that snake ladies and Morathi are very good in the game so maybe this will annoy people ah well. I should probably get the battletome.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I got an email about Gobbapalooza being available and I bought it within minutes. Apparently everyone else who got pinged had the same idea because when I checked a few moments ago it was out of stock again.

So far the squigs are easy to assemble but the gobbos are kind of fiddly, hopefully the other models in the Squigalanche are a little less eh.

Cleaning up mold lines between spikes is always a thorn in my side

all I have left for the box is the two maulers and the bouncing squigs, then it's the OBR box and I'll be caught up on assembling AOS minis at least.

edit: I think I'll go with weird colors for the squigs, cause who cares? and try NMM for the metal parts. What's the worst that happens? I got some paint on minis, whatever if it doesn't look good.

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Jan 15, 2023

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

S.J. posted:

Also, what point size are you playing? If you're playing less than a full size game that can wildly affect how balanced some factions are against each other.

Hahaha god it completely slipped my mind to mention this, so now it's time to show my rear end and reveal we're playing 1000 point games. We don't have enough time to get to do a 2k game in a games club session and I don't have enough stuff to get there yet. The smaller board size absolutely fucks with your ability to play cagey. Both armies are fast enough to make turn 2 combats more likely.

One of my resolutions this year is to get to 2000 points, which I'll probably accomplish by buying a turtle.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

JBP posted:

I built the snake ladies I got in the supply drop and they're so rad I proceeded to buy 20 more low cost snake ladies from FB and 15 khinerai. Also bought Morathi.

Looks like I'm back on my bullshit this is going to be fun. Terrifying models to paint.

Also learned after smashing that purchase button that snake ladies and Morathi are very good in the game so maybe this will annoy people ah well. I should probably get the battletome.

They're very good, but Morathi is also like a third of your entire army, points-wise. Her big thing is she cannot be removed from the board before turn 3 at minimum because she has a damage cap per round.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Mors Rattus posted:

They're very good, but Morathi is also like a third of your entire army, points-wise. Her big thing is she cannot be removed from the board before turn 3 at minimum because she has a damage cap per round.

Is an army that's nothing but snakes and khinerai with Morathi alright, or too elite/low model count.

I haven't played for ages so I don't have any idea in my head of how strong Morathi actually is (seems very, but it's not practical knowledge). I'm looking at a basic outline of:

Morathi
Ironscale/Wizard snake
10-15 blood stalkers
2 x 5-10 blood sisters
However many units 5-10 khinerai with remaining points.

I have witch elves as well for bodies, but I think snakes are neat.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

JBP posted:

Is an army that's nothing but snakes and khinerai with Morathi alright, or too elite/low model count.

I haven't played for ages so I don't have any idea in my head of how strong Morathi actually is (seems very, but it's not practical knowledge). I'm looking at a basic outline of:

Morathi
Ironscale/Wizard snake
10-15 blood stalkers
2 x 5-10 blood sisters
However many units 5-10 khinerai with remaining points.

I have witch elves as well for bodies, but I think snakes are neat.

Morathi and the bow snakes has been the top tourney build for DoK for nearly a year now.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

GreenBuckanneer posted:

edit: I think I'll go with weird colors for the squigs, cause who cares? and try NMM for the metal parts. What's the worst that happens? I got some paint on minis, whatever if it doesn't look good.

painting weird squigs is the main reason for collecting Gitz

Winklebottom fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jan 15, 2023

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Mors Rattus posted:

Morathi and the bow snakes has been the top tourney build for DoK for nearly a year now.

Yeah the bows just struck me as a no brainer based on lots of shots and mortals on 6s. I'm more wondering about the rest? Or are they so strong it doesn't matter much?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Melee snakes aren’t so great but they’re workable. The main thing you need is something to pin folks where you want and hold objectives while Morathi and the bow snakes kill. Khinerai melee is bad and don’t use them, but the ones that can throw stuff are good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Winklebottom posted:

painting weird squigs is the main reason for collecting Gitz

I like what you did with the base