Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Sounds good, thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

diapermeat
Feb 10, 2009

RCarr posted:

I didn’t know there was anyone else on Yelinak besides the 3 of us in Queynos Yacht Club!

What guild are you with?

I'm over in SYU - we are still running full raids and hopefully in time by next week.

Haven't played POP for 4 years or so - enjoying it a ton.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Trip Report:

The 3 Amigos:

Better shot:

im the big rear end cat in front of everyone trying to get a photo

Waroduce fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Jan 10, 2023

Porterhaus
Jun 6, 2006

Zero to Gyro

Waroduce posted:

Trip Report:

The 3 Amigos:

Better shot:

im the big rear end cat in front of everyone trying to get a photo

Waro didn't share the best part:

That was quite the experience (and not a lot of sleep). We were the second guild on TLP to get Quarm... 5 days? after launch. We were the first who had to do Rathe in DZ instead of open world overpowering it with big numbers, so there's that. We probably would have had it last night but we were all too braindead to down Tallon with our under-geared tanks.

tl;dr: doesn't matter, have snek

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

We did it! This has been my first time raiding in PoP and it was a blast. Looking forward to getting some crazy Time gear over the next 2 months. I’m excited to finally be able to actually swing a weapon after just using my fists for 65 levels. I don’t expect to get the Shinai of the Ancients, there’s 4 monks with a lot more DKP than me and I’m sure they will all spend whatever it takes to get it if that many drop. But I’ll be happy if I can get two of the lesser weapons.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
The no-recast delay is the killer part of the shaman/enc clicky slows - so nice !

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Porterhaus posted:

Waro didn't share the best part:

That was quite the experience (and not a lot of sleep). We were the second guild on TLP to get Quarm... 5 days? after launch. We were the first who had to do Rathe in DZ instead of open world overpowering it with big numbers, so there's that. We probably would have had it last night but we were all too braindead to down Tallon with our under-geared tanks.

tl;dr: doesn't matter, have snek

You lucky devil. We got one serpent in 6 months of time clears on aradune. All the time class weapons are just rare enough where that can happen fairly easily. Eventually you see enough that it goes to alts for free but it’s worth any price at the start just to avoid being disappointed every week.

Doing the PoP rush as a guild is pretty fun if everyone is on board. It’s a real step up from everything that’s come before. It’s especially a breath of fresh air after VT with mega health bosses that do absolutely nothing. Plane of Time stayed interesting for a while to me because each week the raid felt smoother as everyone got geared up.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Yea it should be fun to see how we can breeze through it after a few weeks of gearing. Really the only issue we had was Tallon Zek, due to it being a hard gear check, and only having a few days to gear up our tanks.

Also shoutout to the Earth B guardian encounter for being the single most tedious thing I have ever done in Everquest. We cleared it on the first try and it was still absolutely miserable.

I am still absolutely AMAZED that anyone was able to figure out how to beat this poo poo 20 years ago without all the quality of life changes and the vast encyclopedia of knowledge that exists now.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

RCarr posted:

I am still absolutely AMAZED that anyone was able to figure out how to beat this poo poo 20 years ago without all the quality of life changes and the vast encyclopedia of knowledge that exists now.

Alcohol and it being the only online game option a lot of us had gave us super powers.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

ah rathe council is good times. I always played it as a priest so my awareness of wtf was happening was pretty limited. The pullers seemed to be engaged in some intense activity while everyone else waited. And waited.

Fun memory of my last kill of that fight was having a bard box accidentally PBAE dot the stack of mezzed mobs when we were like 15 minutes into the pull, causing absolute chaos and carnage. Like a dozen people dropping dead in seconds followed everyone running around in confusion. Through the power of having clerics chain rez and having competent enchanters it got back under control. At least we got to give the player that broke those mezzes poo poo for all time

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

RCarr posted:

keep in mind that this is also the 'post nerf' version, the original implementation was intentionally (almost) impossible, because Time wasn't finished. but of course people didn't know that at the time

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
The 'best' Rathe council I've done was when 2 guilds needed to do some backflags and both turned up at openworld at the same time. The cooperated and had around 150 players there. When the council was mezzed/off-tanked they AE'd/dps'd them all at one-time.

Of course someone from the resident scum 'uber' guild was also there and was trying to extort Krono otherwise they'd break mez. Amazingly a GM dealt with it.

Baconroll fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jan 10, 2023

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I don't really want to go back to playing EQ seriously, but I wouldn't mind exploring some of the areas from when I did play while overpowered. I see they have tokens to level up to 85 and 100 you can buy, and as I'm a single dude who makes a lot of money I'm thinking of buying one.

What would be a better solo exploring character? I'd prefer it to be my Bard or Necro just because they're my mains from 20 years ago so I'm attached to them.

Are server transfers a thing? I'm on Rallos Zek and figure it's not the best server to wander around on since I'm years out of practice and would get decimated in PvP

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

The test server used to have some feature where you could type a command and it would automatically level you up to a certain level with a bunch of AA’s. I’m not sure what level it was or if it still can be done, but Test is free and has all the expansions (except for the most recent?) and a TON of quality of life stuff. If you don’t want to create a new character and HAVE to use your existing character you’d have to pay for 1 month of live, then log him on and type /testcopy and he’d be copied over. Then you could cancel your sub and play there for free as long as you’d like.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

RCarr posted:

The test server used to have some feature where you could type a command and it would automatically level you up to a certain level with a bunch of AA’s. I’m not sure what level it was or if it still can be done, but Test is free and has all the expansions (except for the most recent?) and a TON of quality of life stuff. If you don’t want to create a new character and HAVE to use your existing character you’d have to pay for 1 month of live, then log him on and type /testcopy and he’d be copied over. Then you could cancel your sub and play there for free as long as you’d like.

Yeah I have a bunch of characters on Test on various accounts, I kinda wanted to tool around on Live.

Porterhaus
Jun 6, 2006

Zero to Gyro

Solarin posted:

You lucky devil. We got one serpent in 6 months of time clears on aradune. All the time class weapons are just rare enough where that can happen fairly easily. Eventually you see enough that it goes to alts for free but it’s worth any price at the start just to avoid being disappointed every week.

Our guild leader had me pop the DZ because my first spell turn in of the xpac was that level 64 charm. Right on cue, it was an enchanter loot piñata all night. Both serpent and tactician’s shield, 2x protective sleeves, both BIS bracers (I got one of them), ethereal silk leggings, silk robe pattern, all of the relevant caster range slots, and more I’m forgetting. Probably would have been better to get a smidge more tank gear to help smooth it all out for next week, but all the int casters were thrilled.

I feel relieved that I don’t have to hoard DKP anymore to avoid the regret of getting outbid on a clicky (got outbid the three times we saw Wristband of Secrets).

Seems like both Ethereal Silk Leggings (our first pair went for over 200DKP!) and Gloves of the Unseen stay BIS for an expansion or two, and that I’ll regret not getting the clicky haste off the elemental enchanter pants and the lesser Dispel click off Wand of the Vortex, but anything else that would be worth going all in on in order to not miss?

Sounds like I want something that can hold a type 8 AC mod in my secondary the moment LDoN launches. I’ll try to target Tactician’s Shield here as our first one didn’t go for an exorbitant amount. In fact if our DKP manager had bid Serpent before it, I’d have both already but I wasn’t going to risk not having all resources available to secure the snek.

Porterhaus fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jan 10, 2023

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

RCarr posted:

We did it! This has been my first time raiding in PoP and it was a blast. Looking forward to getting some crazy Time gear over the next 2 months. I’m excited to finally be able to actually swing a weapon after just using my fists for 65 levels. I don’t expect to get the Shinai of the Ancients, there’s 4 monks with a lot more DKP than me and I’m sure they will all spend whatever it takes to get it if that many drop. But I’ll be happy if I can get two of the lesser weapons.

If you know you aren't getting Shinai any time soon. Good chance to hoover up loot for cheap like tunic, legs, boots, sleeves and mask. All BiS. Not the good stuff but probably less competition atm. Either that or go all in on quarm loot while 4 less people are competeting. Silver hoop of speed is a good one.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
The good, The bad, Im the one with the gun.
I am in Resurgence,

You are correct, we raided From Launch to 2 or 3 am, then started all over at 9 am from till Quarm died. It was epic, People were falling asleep, Several kills required spawn bind rushing, burn racing, AE healing non stop recasts and even then we were always 20 seconds away from death, its just that the mob died first. No joke often people were level 61 or 62 with only a few leveled enchanters, 2 tanks at 65.

We wanted to beat the world record, which is 36 hours. I think we were closer to 40 something as we lost time from wipes, farming parts, and a few keys that just refused to spawn or drop.

Porterhaus
Jun 6, 2006

Zero to Gyro

PyRosflam posted:

I am in Resurgence,

You are correct, we raided From Launch to 2 or 3 am, then started all over at 9 am from till Quarm died. It was epic, People were falling asleep, Several kills required spawn bind rushing, burn racing, AE healing non stop recasts and even then we were always 20 seconds away from death, its just that the mob died first. No joke often people were level 61 or 62 with only a few leveled enchanters, 2 tanks at 65.

We wanted to beat the world record, which is 36 hours. I think we were closer to 40 something as we lost time from wipes, farming parts, and a few keys that just refused to spawn or drop.

Grats on the server first! We were definitely cheering you on. Do you have access to your DKP site or know if you got a Serpent of Vindication to drop off Tallon Zek? I'm super curious if I'm the only one of the server with one for however short a period of time that is. Also, if you have any friendly enchanter mains in your guild I'd love to make some new friends who I can talk strategy with!

Porterhaus
Jun 6, 2006

Zero to Gyro
On a separate note, what is the best stat food & drink I can be using as an ENC in PoP/LoY? I've neglected the free stats for too long!

Feel free to toss out your favorite spots to solo for ethereal and spectral parchments in PoP too. I'm level 65 and fully online with 64 charm and word of morell, but am missing a fair number of the 61-62 utility spells.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

my spot for ethereal parchments was Plane of Nightmare hobgoblin caves. There’s a small hill outside the cave with about 4 gloom nightmares standing on it. You can’t run up this hill but if you find the right position you can /tar and send a charm/animation to aggro them and they’ll path down to you.

These things wreck the poo poo out of everything in zone and it makes grinding for the nameds in the cave pretty efficient. I’m pretty sure you can use the break charm/mez/mem blur trick to rapidly heal them if you’re totally solo. I think the named hobgoblins can spawn in any spot with a fearsome hobgoblin, and these are spread around the whole cave. Also a named bat and mephit but those are contained to their little areas.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
We did Tallon/Vallon and Ralloz in Tactics last night - as I remembered the hardest part is the bloody trash with its frontal AE when your clearing to setup for Decorin Berik and Decorin Grunhork.

It can be utterly brutal if you get a few and they get turned.

Ralloz at the end was a cakewalk in comparison !

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
The good, The bad, Im the one with the gun.

Porterhaus posted:

Grats on the server first! We were definitely cheering you on. Do you have access to your DKP site or know if you got a Serpent of Vindication to drop off Tallon Zek? I'm super curious if I'm the only one of the server with one for however short a period of time that is. Also, if you have any friendly enchanter mains in your guild I'd love to make some new friends who I can talk strategy with!

We did not see that item drop at all. So grads!

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

RCarr posted:

/testbuff sets your character to level 25 and provides some level appropriate gear, but I'm not aware of anything that powers up the character and assigns AAs. At higher levels there's an "Auto Grant" feature that you can toggle in the AA skills section that will automatically apply a bunch of AA skills.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Ah, that’s what I was thinking of then.

Still, the point stands. If you only want to do a nostalgia tour, there’s no reason to pay for a subscription when you can do it on test for free.

diapermeat
Feb 10, 2009

Baconroll posted:

We did Tallon/Vallon and Ralloz in Tactics last night - as I remembered the hardest part is the bloody trash with its frontal AE when your clearing to setup for Decorin Berik and Decorin Grunhork.

It can be utterly brutal if you get a few and they get turned.

Ralloz at the end was a cakewalk in comparison !

Are we in the same guild? haha - that happened to us last night (SYU) until someone piped up that they need to be tanked range and have a frontal cone aoe

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch

RCarr posted:

Ah, that’s what I was thinking of then.

Still, the point stands. If you only want to do a nostalgia tour, there’s no reason to pay for a subscription when you can do it on test for free.

Definitely nostalgia on Test! It's absolutely perfect for that. I just got home from extra-nerd NYE week in a cabin with a bunch of other nerds I met on Test years ago, and we had the best time. If people are still playing there, it is the best modern EQ experience for sure.

We're rolling a new 6 group on Mischief atm after nostalgia overload, but I think Test server is still my favorite EQ times regardless. Totally minimal grind, chill community, not the best of raids, but Kodaji's still fully raid geared for the era regardless of how bumfuck we all were, so doable.

If you do the nostalgia tour on Test, I can hop on and help you finish pretty much anything below 105. It's an absolute blast to go on EQ world tour and stomp all your memories on Test.

Also Test might suck now entirely. We all rolled on Mischief for a reason I guess...

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
The PoP launch was really fun and I had a great time. It quite the realization of a childhood dream for me and I think our guild threaded the needle between being "hardcore" and realistic with everyones time (to a degree) and need to sleep which made the whole thing really enjoyable. I joined this whole thing a bit off a whim in Vanilla and finding myself starting Quorum 3 days after launch was never a position I thought I'd find myself in.

Ouro and I managed slid into a static with two guys we didn't know who were friends but boxing a Wizzy/Cleric and Ranger/SK which rounds out our ENC/Bard combo quite nicely from a damage and off tank perspective. They ended up being really cool and we've kept the group going to explore and farm parchments which is really nice. None of us had direct PoP launch experience so we were all trying to research and figure out what to do but the guild dropped a bunch of really great guides and how-to's in the discord which helped. We also did the whole test tour thing so everyone kind of knew what was going on and where the seer/dwarf/books and first tier of like POJ/POS stuff was which made me feel much much better.

We slid right into a justice trial and after def not failing due to being spread out and not playing any group content for a while we passed and went into the PoStorms. We started farming the BoT key and exp-ing a little while the guild rotated through camps and essentially tried to farm the zone out for access. I think we had the first group on the server in BoT which is pretty cool but our group had TERRIBLE luck with some of the drops and our group was quite late. I can't even recall what else we did that opening night but we called it around 4ish EST I think and slept for about 6 hours.

Woke up, logged on with morning coffee and I believe the second day started with the Mithanial Mar/HoH stuff since we did that open world IIRC. Most people were floating around level 61/62 at this time but we started pushing progression all together and basically rolled through T4's. We actually first timed everything except one of the Zek fights due to some positioning shenanigans but it was pretty wild trying to down everyone up to T4 at 61/62. It was such a blurr but seeing all the zones and crawling them with the guild has got to be one of my fav moments. I picked up the first ornate BP mold I think to swap out my lovely 25AC Luclin chest I got from farming AA's off a random mob so I was quite happy.

The push ended once we got to fire Saturday and we all broke out into small EXP groups for a bit. We went with our stack of level 61/62's straight to C2 and it was super intense because those guys hit like trucks when your 6 or 7 levels under them but quite fun.

On Sunday, the 65's started clearing some of the DZ's for progression while the rest of us EXP'd and joined the main raid force as we hit 64/65. We camped fire which was rough but we were pulling down almost 1% a level at C2 at 61/62. Got to 64 and rotated in to start helping and got to see Earth, Fire, Air and Water. I really love Water, air was kinda meh I don't remember much I think we joined this one in progress.

The Earth encounter was super cool, the level of coordination was really impressive to see and I was the bard who played his AOE slow to keep everyone in combat. We had some unlucky mezz breaks at the start but we got a handle on it and managed to first time it which was super cool to see. I can't imagine trying to coordinate and figure that out back in the day.

Zoning into Time was an incredible feeling, just getting to see it and be there was awesome for me. We managed to first time everything up through Tallon Zek IIRC but many of us were 64 and it was like 2AM in the morning and we decided to call it after a few attempts since it was just getting messy. Not alot of margin for error in that one the first time through.

Our static needed to get to 65 so we ended up popping a 2 hour 75% exp pot and hitting tables in fire which FLEW us through 65 thanks to Ouro's charm pet. At the end though it was like 5AM EST and I was very smooth brained from pulling at a breakneck pace. Tables is a great camp though we eneded up clearing that entire fortress area thanks to charm and I got to become acquainted with fading memories.

Pass out, wake up, online early afternoon and we first time Tallon and roll straight through Quarom. First time him and took the screenshots. It was absolutely amazing.

I also manged to snag this:

which is also a server first if Resurgence didn't get one on their clear so we are two lucky goons. I rolled against one of our tanks for this and didn't realize but he was a little mad bc apparently its a good hate generator. I was working off the EQ progression list and saw that it was #1 offhand with Songblade of the Eternal in the main and bid. I honestly would have let it go to him had I known but :/ just dislike taking things from our tanks. I'm putting together my preferred end of PoP equipment I'll probably ask for feedback on here. I don't really understand EQ gearing and like BiS from a numbers perspective and BiS from a functional persepctive. I do know I need to replace my armor with instrument mods so I can get rid of my now poopy epic.

It was wild and I'd do it again.....in like 2-3 years LMAO. Right now, I feel like the game is just getting fun and I'm at a good point in the power curve and I am pretty stoked for GoD and whatever else is after LDONN. What are the LDON/GoD launches like? do you clear through or are they longer things that unfold across a few weeks?

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

GoD is a pretty quick process, as long as your officer team has things planned out, I think we did it in like 8-10 hours on mischief? I could be misremembering but I recall GoD being one of the less intense launch rushes (especially after SoL and PoP), every group needs to do Tipt (so you'll likely be practicing this with your static group) and then you need someone that can request all the various raids which requires some faction poo poo, I dunno, we had folks dedicated to that while the rest of us were doing other things. LDON isn't really anything special, you'll plow through a bunch of raids that are easy and will probably be done in like 4 hours.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
LDoN is super grindy. The late PoP to GoD stretch on our server saw a ton of people fall off, a new tlp will open right in the middle of this and you’ll see the recyclers move on. It helps to pace yourself and find things to work on.

GoD launch can be quick if everyone is organized but it punishes you on piggybacks for people who can’t hang on for the duration and catch the middle stuff like the ikky 3 raid. Inktuta is fun, at first. Look into the BiC quest and if you think you’ll want to do that, prioritize the inktuta piece. Uquaa is sort of always unfun. There is a mob difficulty jump in GoD everything hits like a truck, runs at bihli speed and has low hps. Since y’all have an enc in your build XP + BiC will be somewhat trivialized but it’s sort of the last expansion of enchanter’s extreme power derived from charming. All the said if xpac opens on Thursday, barring any disasters, you should be in Tacvi on Sunday. Night 1 probably herding everyone through Tipt and using everyone to push a single person through the raid request progression tasks and then if y’all are crackshot you’ll be doing Ikkinz raids night one, probably at least 1-2. If not all three you’ll have everyone convene for ikkinz 3 for the flag piece then start onto uuqua and inktuta raids. If you’re having a long night you’ll go straight Txevu, but, that could be day three. Tacvi on the last day, either 3 or 4 depending on how quick everything goes.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
LDoN is now only 4 weeks instead of 8 weeks - nice change ! Personally I'd have just rolled it into PoP/LDoN.

Porterhaus
Jun 6, 2006

Zero to Gyro
Anyone know of an easily PoP accessible 'Reclaim Energy' clicky for an ENC who missed the Velious wrists? Would love an easier way to dismiss my animations that doesn't take up a spell slot.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

i'm pretty sure enc thurg wrists have clicky reclaim energy

edit: I need to learn to read

edit 2: couldn't you charm kill solo in the kael arena for thurg armor turnins?

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
If you just want the pet to leave and don't care about mana, /pet get lost

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I remember my friends being confused as to why I did the Broom of Trilon quest with my Necro in the early days, it was badass that even Necros could click it for Reclaim Energy.

Also why do I still remember it's called Broom of Trilon I haven't actively played this game in 20 years.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Waroduce posted:

PoP launch

PoP is the most extensive flagging expansion for a long time. LDoN is like a mission pack more than expansion. You just roll up to some selected instanced raids and hope the 1-2 good item drops and that’s that. I’m not sure if bards have any super duper augs like a few classes get.

GoD has one group instance that gates most of the higher end zones, then a bunch of quests that you really just need a couple of people to complete to request the raids. The flagging raids aren’t hard but there aren’t any total freebies like a lot of the Planes are. Everything is tuned for raid geared 65s with AA. Mob damage is ultra high but their health is fairly low, it’s a real different vibe from everything before it.

Also the sword I never saw our warriors going too hard for. I guess it’s more of a stopgap for them than what they really want, which is Bloodfrenzy from cursed in ssra and Darkblade of War from rallos in time. Those are both miles ahead of everything because they have a high innate proc rate. Some people will get salty about bards taking any loot from them, don’t worry too much about it.

Porterhaus posted:

Anyone know of an easily PoP accessible 'Reclaim Energy' clicky for an ENC who missed the Velious wrists? Would love an easier way to dismiss my animations that doesn't take up a spell slot.

Is companion suspension AA in for enchanter in PoP? Those are costly and easily skipped ones but it’s useful for this particular purpose. Also in GoD this AA line is what allows group buffs/bard songs to affect pets. Charm pets aren’t included sadly

hotdog feet
Nov 3, 2005
I am foolishly getting back into EQ after my mom so cruelly refused to continue paying for my subscription in high school.

I imagine a lot of things changed in, uhhhhhhhhhh, 20 years. Going to play on the progression server but I'm basically a brand new idiot again. Any hot tips? What classes should I absolutely not touch? I only ask because I remember being miserable playing Berserker.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Any class is viable. I’ve never played a Berserker but they aren’t even unlocked on the latest TLP server yet. Play whatever you think you’ll have the most fun with!

hotdog feet
Nov 3, 2005
Good to know that I can just go for it. Thanks.

I've already conquered my first obstacle: figuring out how to leave the water. Adventure awaits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

If you play on Yelinak (newest TLP server), leave your in game name and we can hook you up.