Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Amazing. No wonder Slowbeef started to resent those games

wow what a terrible snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I think there might have been a bounty on posting proof of account sharing, like people were buying one account and sharing it with all their tumblr friends to dodge the paywall and if you outed one you got plat for free.

edit: also it wasn't slowbeef and co, it was a guy named orenronen who did a real good localisation as he played

double edit: I think I remember you could also turn in account sharers and get an account yourself if you didn't have one, turning the tumblr people against each other? Maybe my imagination conjured that one.

SirSamVimes fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jan 10, 2023

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

when you say Let's Play drama bomb my mind immediately jumps to Voidburger and the LPer exodus instead of the one time the paywall was used for maximum comedic effect

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
the thread is here for archives havers (i think! I can't see it since I'm not one)
I got that link from the page on the LP Archive

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Runa posted:

when you say Let's Play drama bomb my mind immediately jumps to Voidburger and the LPer exodus instead of the one time the paywall was used for maximum comedic effect

I still chuckle thinking about the person dressing up as the paywall.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

SirSamVimes posted:

I think there might have been a bounty on posting proof of account sharing, like people were buying one account and sharing it with all their tumblr friends to dodge the paywall and if you outed one you got plat for free.

edit: also it wasn't slowbeef and co, it was a guy named orenronen who did a real good localisation as he played

double edit: I think I remember you could also turn in account sharers and get an account yourself if you didn't have one, turning the tumblr people against each other? Maybe my imagination conjured that one.

Slowbeef was mod of LP at the time and instituted the bounty iirc.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

DerekSmartymans posted:

The short answer is the game was very popular in online communities, and the Retsuprae guy(s?) were doing a Let’s Play that was dramatically popular with fans of the game, until Lowtax dropped it behind the paywall suddenly. Cue dozens of new accounts and new accounts getting banned and reregged and getting banned again because the fandom wasn’t a good fit for Lowtax’s goonforum of the day.

I just remember it as a reverse forum invasion of weebs and tumblrites and :sickos: who are a part of anything online, and the goon response to that reverse forum invasion-that-you-had-to-pay-:10bux:-just-to-get-trolled-then-banned 🤔.

E: f;b

Someone was banned for calling one of the characters "intriguingly moe "

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

pentyne posted:

Someone was banned for calling one of the characters "intriguingly moe "

Yeah, the meltdowns over :10bux: have always been my favorites. I’m not exactly wealthy, but hell I bought Vampire Survivors for a couple of RL friends on Steam just because the dev released it free on iOS with the monetization it deserves.

If you are enjoying the content enough to cry about it, fork over a couple of bucks. Don’t bitch that everything’s not for free on demand and spend all your time looking for ways to break the content-delivery unless it’s like getting an epipen or cancer meds…not current luxury goods/services.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Wasn't there a little gathering of Dangan Ronpa fans and one guy printed the paywall 'register an account to keep reading' screen on a t-shirt and went as the paywall? That was cute.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Who the hell would pay money to read about video games on an online forums?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

HopperUK posted:

Wasn't there a little gathering of Dangan Ronpa fans and one guy printed the paywall 'register an account to keep reading' screen on a t-shirt and went as the paywall? That was cute.

I think it was an anime convention or something

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

kazil posted:

Who the hell would pay money to read about video games on an online forums?

[img-steve-carell-from-the-office-thank-you]

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

SirSamVimes posted:

I think it was an anime convention or something

I'm from Buenos Aires and I say kill 'em all!

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
iirc that was goon TurboC

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
I feel like the Hogwarts game should be a lesson to many for how you should advertise a product. It's been in my face for weeks and now it's the top seller on Steam and it's not even out yet.

I'd probably check it out if I could ensure that the transphobic dipshit wasn't getting any royalties.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

but why though, like it's not even by a developer with any kind of reputation. it's by the OTHER avalanche, the one that DIDN'T do Just Cause or Mad Max. they haven't really done anything notable

that's what confuses me the most. maybe i just don't get "AAA hype"

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Harry Potter is a big IP that a lot of people have affection for in spite of JK Rowling's antics.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Lord Lambeth posted:

Harry Potter is a big IP that a lot of people have affection for in spite of JK Rowling's antics.
so is Aliens but that doesn't mean I'm gonna play Colonial Marines

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

The 7th Guest posted:

You should, they apparently fixed the terrible AI by finding a simple typo in the config file.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

The 7th Guest posted:

Fire team elite is really good though you should try that

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I don't know anything about it but being able to roll your own wizard sounds cool though it isn't clear how open the game really is.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

FuzzySlippers posted:

I don't know anything about it but being able to roll your own wizard sounds cool though it isn't clear how open the game really is.

So all of my spells can be fart noises? That's pretty cool.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

make your own wizard to stop the big nosed, greedy, bank owning goblins from rebelling against the wizards because they want more rights

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Is there a feature to poo poo on the floor and teleport your poop away?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
hopefully not
it wouldn't be lore friendly for a pre-plumbing wizard to poo poo anywhere other than their own pants

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

According to highly respected scholars on Twitter the main dude(or one of them idk) behind the Harry Potter game is an anti SJW, pro gamergate guy so JK Rowling passed the IP off to someone who knew the score.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

check out the monomyth demo, it's basically deus ex dark souls. Simple and fairly short demo, but nails the vibe and doing immersive sim stuff in an intricately interlinked dark souls castle is surprisingly engrossing. the dev was aiming for end of 2022 but is still putting out regular progress videos - def worth wishlisting.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
The first step on the Hero's Journey: Gitting Gud.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

this OST is like if massive attack did a soundtrack for an SMT game it's so good. i've listened to it a lot while i've had covid and it's put my brain in a nice cozy cave.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Jelly posted:

I feel like the Hogwarts game should be a lesson to many for how you should advertise a product. It's been in my face for weeks and now it's the top seller on Steam and it's not even out yet.

I'd probably check it out if I could ensure that the transphobic dipshit wasn't getting any royalties.
I honestly don't get it. Even if people don't give a poo poo about Rowling one way or the other - it's been years since the last movie AND there were already a bunch of HP games, all of them quite terrible.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Jelly posted:

Just buy it and refund it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The Harry Potter fandom is probably the largest single failure of the millennial generation.

Estel
May 4, 2010

Xander77 posted:

I honestly don't get it. Even if people don't give a poo poo about Rowling one way or the other - it's been years since the last movie AND there were already a bunch of HP games, all of them quite terrible.

That is the reason why, most people are still waiting for the good game and maybe it's this one.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
ah, the sonic the hedgehog cycle

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012

Jelly posted:

I wonder if Steam only puts regional sales in their top sellers list, because I don't see any HP games (in Germany). Battle Brothers is number 3 for some reason??? It's not even on sale lol

E: ah there is "top sellers" and "global top sellers" separate lists

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Top sellers is explicitly regional, that's why there's a little "global top sellers" button at the bottom.

Hogwarts Legacy is #4 on the global list behind three F2P games. They're definitely doing something right marketing wise to generate this much hype, although personally I haven't really seen it. Kind of surprising given that the developer seems to be a licensed crapware factory, but maybe there's a reason people expect this one to be good. Probably not, though.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Trickyblackjack posted:

I wonder if Steam only puts regional sales in their top sellers list, because I don't see any HP games (in Germany). Battle Brothers is number 3 for some reason??? It's not even on sale lol
The top-sellers list is regional "for a set of most popular countries". You can view the top-selling games globally or in any given region via the Store > Stats page. According to that, Hogwarts Legacy is currently listed as #3 top-selling in Germany, and #5 globally.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Xander77 posted:

Harry Potter fans have never read another book.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

Xander77 posted:

it's the first time there's been a proper aaa harry potter game and there haven't really been any games since lego harry potter over a decade ago. it's still an absolutely gigantically popular franchise (even if the most recent movie kinda flopped last year) and there's definitely an audience for well-made aaa games based on existing popular ip instead of the previous shovelware approach - see batman, spiderman, etc. - certainly i would have been super excited for a game like this as a kid and there's a whole lot of people who've completely held onto their childhood fandom even if they haven't cared about all the spinoffs.

given that the studio has never made anything except licensed shovelware before though and this seems to be their first time making something of this scale, it wouldn't surprise me if it ends up just incredibly mediocre at best. certainly the writing seems to be somehow even more tonedeaf than the books themselves.

the first few harry potter pc games were actually quite endearing to me as a child, though certainly not actually that good. they still have a weird charm that goes beyond a lot of other licensed garbage games of the time at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Lord Lambeth posted:

I missed on Harry Potter (just ‘cause I’m an old), but it’s gonna end up like the Chik-Fil-A situation: there will be people buying/already have bought the game just to “support” Rowling “against the woke mob.” I know several folks (mainly older couples including my own parents!) that never ate at CFA until after the whole “homophobe anti-boycott” several years ago. Some of those folks go two or three meals a week now (granted their Chickin Biscuits in the morning are pro-tier). They never would have entertained the idea if it hadn’t been “taking a stand” or whatever. That’s how white folks who lived through the ‘60s do activism instead of marching/burning stuff down. CFA business has kept strong ever since 🫤.