Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The General's quests. They're gated by the generic 'kill 10 hunters' from him so you need to complete that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I may still pick it up and enjoy it but it’s a slight bummer. I’d love a survival game similar to it that’s got just a little more meat around the… I’ll call it “environmental” or “lifestyle” survival than just the “shooting” bit. A game with both the Tarkov-like elements with some more of the other style would be so awesome.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Anime Store Adventure posted:

I may still pick it up and enjoy it but it’s a slight bummer. I’d love a survival game similar to it that’s got just a little more meat around the… I’ll call it “environmental” or “lifestyle” survival than just the “shooting” bit. A game with both the Tarkov-like elements with some more of the other style would be so awesome.

If you mean ZS then the Stalker games are basically that? Moments of shooter-action between mostly exploring a hostile environment that wants you dead. Call of Pripyat is, like, 10+ years old now but still a solid game with plenty of modded overhauls.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Sab Sabbington posted:

Hold up can you specialize in the bedding l crafting skills too? I just never clicked them. I'm going to lose my mind if they've just been sitting at max.

Earlier in the ZS discussion I mentioned the building in the Camp that's blocked by broken down cars and was told access to it was story gated, but at this point I'm doing quests in the Mall and feel like I might have missed something? Does anyone remember which questline does it?

Yes, you can specialize the Crafting skills. Hope you like finding another 4(5?) skill books each to max them out!

Unfortunately unlike the Fitness/Style/Shooting/Charisma, there are only two choices to pick from. Even more unfortunately, there's some pretty clear winners IMO, at least for Medicine and Cooking. Hadn't gotten a chance to max out ammo crafting yet.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Evil Kit posted:

Yes, you can specialize the Crafting skills. Hope you like finding another 4(5?) skill books each to max them out!

Unfortunately unlike the Fitness/Style/Shooting/Charisma, there are only two choices to pick from. Even more unfortunately, there's some pretty clear winners IMO, at least for Medicine and Cooking. Hadn't gotten a chance to max out ammo crafting yet.

It also has a clear Best Choice.

-Something I don't remember
-Slower gear degradation I mean its not even a contest. Suddenly that silly fragile armor isn't so terrible anymore.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Arrath posted:

It also has a clear Best Choice.

-Something I don't remember
-Slower gear degradation I mean its not even a contest. Suddenly that silly fragile armor isn't so terrible anymore.

lmao goddamn. That's actually dumb, even the lowest fragility Class 5 armor is still at least 50%+ that's nuts. The crafting specializations def need a balance pass.

The other option was probably something stupid like 'extra ammo crafted' or 'craft specialized ammo types' or something dumb like that.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

It is 'improve gun stats'.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
God drat son of the forest is looking so good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eL48xUnGrAM

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Evil Kit posted:

lmao goddamn. That's actually dumb, even the lowest fragility Class 5 armor is still at least 50%+ that's nuts. The crafting specializations def need a balance pass.

The other option was probably something stupid like 'extra ammo crafted' or 'craft specialized ammo types' or something dumb like that.

Kibbas class 6 is like 99% fragility so I'm pretty sure the specialization is mandatory lol

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Rynoto posted:

If you mean ZS then the Stalker games are basically that? Moments of shooter-action between mostly exploring a hostile environment that wants you dead. Call of Pripyat is, like, 10+ years old now but still a solid game with plenty of modded overhauls.

STALKER is always a great recommendation. I've recently started playing Chernobylite which is similar in the "go in, loot, and leave" with light survival and base management. It's been pretty fun so far, and it's terrifying when you're in one of the bloc houses and one of the monsters just pops up to try to ruin your day.

It's more a roguelike than anything but it's got enough survival aspects that I think it qualifies.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

swordfish duelist posted:

STALKER is always a great recommendation. I've recently started playing Chernobylite which is similar in the "go in, loot, and leave" with light survival and base management. It's been pretty fun so far, and it's terrifying when you're in one of the bloc houses and one of the monsters just pops up to try to ruin your day.

It's more a roguelike than anything but it's got enough survival aspects that I think it qualifies.
Is Chernobylite raid-based like ZS?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Vib Rib posted:

Yes. Though each raid occupies an entire day by-definition, regardless of how much time you spend out and about.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Vib Rib posted:

Kind of, you have a set number of zones that will have missions like supply drops and monster hunts. You can send people in your base to do them as well as select one yourself. Without spoiling much: You have sort of soft time limit before things start appearing to discourage you from further time in the zone.

The idea is very much go in, do what you need to and get out.

Also what was said above. Doesn't matter if it's 5 minutes or 30, it constitutes a whole day when you return.

Edit: there is an actual storyline with missions to progress that. I'm not far in so I have no idea how involved the main story is throughout, but they have the main character being pretty urgent, you can put off the main quests as much as you want from what I can tell. Someone else who has played it can confirm that or not though.

Draven fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Jan 10, 2023

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

You can. The Zone gets gradually worse and more dangerous as your Day-count increases, but you can place special structures on the raid maps to mitigate this.

One bar-managing wrinkle is that you have a Stress counter. Once it maxes out further stress will instead be subtracted from your health. Various things can cause stress such as being hit by certain gribblies, taking harsh antiradiation drugs or living on half rations. You can reduce your stress by downing a bottle of vodka or having a nice sleep with a full belly.
The interesting bit is that killing humans always increases stress.

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Jan 10, 2023

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Can you theoretically play indefinitely? Can you keep playing after beating the story? I'm sure it probably wasn't built for that much longevity to begin with but my interest is piqued.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

You can go as long as you want before choosing to start the clearly marked Final Mission*. I believe if you want to continue playing after that it brings you back to the checkpoint before you went on the Final Mission, but I'm not certain.

* There's a specific button for going on the Final Mission. It will be available to you long before you're ready to push it.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
drat, all right. Guess I've been talked into trying it.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

ZS ultimately didn't work for me I think. Maybe I'll consider it again once systems are more fleshed out, but as it is, the busywork-to-reward ratio didn't feel right.

Harminoff posted:

God drat son of the forest is looking so good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eL48xUnGrAM

drat this looks nice as hell. I hope there's a peaceful mode because I could see myself spending a lot of time in a second save just building stuff for the joy of it.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Black Griffon posted:

drat this looks nice as hell. I hope there's a peaceful mode because I could see myself spending a lot of time in a second save just building stuff for the joy of it.

There are multiple console commands to that effect in the original, so fingers crossed.

...Actually I just discovered there's an extended console command to "kill all enemies and reset AI", which I think is the constantly-escalating enemy scaling factor? Which might actually make the game playable for me again past the 3 week mark.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I really, really hope the sequel has ways to mitigate that and it's not just a constant escalation until you're fighting 50 mutants a night and they just destroy your entire base in a second and the 40 minutes you spent chopping logs is out the window.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I'm trying to get into ZS and god the font is just unreadable. Both in 3440 fullscreen and various windowed settings it's extremely pixelated and a struggle to read. Why do pixel art games have to do this sometimes? Would it kill them to have a legible font?

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Modded STALKER is pretty close to what I want yeah, I’ve played it before. I’d just like something maybe a little bit more like, Open world Survival Craft first, but not entirely. Stalker but I build a little camp that becomes a more permanent hovel and base, and traders and people stop buy sometimes. Basically combine a lite colony sim with a survival fps.

This isn’t so much fishing for game recommendations as it is just dreams.txt, but I appreciate the suggestion nonetheless.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
Stalker Anomaly has at least one addon that adds (extremely) lite base building elements; basically just being able to place down some lights, a worktable, radio and a bunch of different storage containers wherever you want. It has support for plugging in props to place but don't know if anyone has made a pack of junk for it beyond the default stuff yet. In my GAMMA playthrough (the pack includes the addon for this by default, and has another addon that let's you build campfires wherever) I had a couple little tucked away camps that felt pretty cozy. Just being able to make lights and safe containers can make anywhere feel like home honestly.

Still missing the ability to hire/attract a trader to settle wherever, or add in new dynamic terrain spots mid-playthrough, that'd make it actually perfect, since you could then build a real base and have people come to it, wonder if it's possible...

Jawnycat fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jan 11, 2023

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Jawnycat posted:

Stalker Anomaly has at least one addon that adds (extremely) lite base building elements; basically just being able to place down some lights, a worktable, radio and a bunch of different storage containers wherever you want. It has support for plugging in props to place but don't know if anyone has made a pack of junk for it beyond the default stuff yet. In my GAMMA playthrough (the pack includes the addon for this by default, and has another addon that let's you build campfires wherever) I had a couple little tucked away camps that felt pretty cozy. Just being able to make lights and safe containers can make anywhere feel like home honestly.

Still missing the ability to hire/attract a trader to settle wherever, or add in new dynamic terrain spots mid-playthrough, that'd make it actually perfect, since you could then build a real base and have people come to it, wonder if it's possible...

Yeah, something like that would be sick. I don't expect the game to transition into being like, Rimworld, but I love the idea of having my own 'space.' I guess its the same sort of brainworms that make the Skyrim/Fallout shelter addons/mods so popular.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Card Survival:

The latest update added some cool new stuff including a non-lethal, high-level trap that can catch monkeys and birds so you're no longer as RNG dependent. Boar breeding is also in which is a very strong source of food. Also included was a new item to lets you move large items between zones without them being directly in your inventory and leather gloves for even more hand protection.

A good update all around.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

For some reason, despite having it in my library for ages, I’d thought Chernobylite was a linear level-based sort of thing. Did a couple missions and have learned how to not repeatedly stab a man in the chest to bring him down from stealth, this is exactly the sort of janky Russia Dystopia Simulator I’m in to.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I’m probably like 4 hours into Zero Sievert and I’m already chafing against the large amount of “collect 10 rabbit pelts/3 dvd drives/4 fire crystals” tasks. I sincerely hope this isn’t gonna be the bulk of activity once the game is completed, because this ain’t it chief.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

buglord posted:

I’m probably like 4 hours into Zero Sievert and I’m already chafing against the large amount of “collect 10 rabbit pelts/3 dvd drives/4 fire crystals” tasks. I sincerely hope this isn’t gonna be the bulk of activity once the game is completed, because this ain’t it chief.
That's about all I'm expecting, and yet the game still unironically has better quest variety than Escape from Tarkov, which it's largely based on.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Vib Rib posted:

That's about all I'm expecting, and yet the game still unironically has better quest variety than Escape from Tarkov, which it's largely based on.

This is very funny to me.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Vib Rib posted:

This is an extreme condemnation of Tarkov, I didn't know it was that bad.

All I know that in one of the like two goon runs I did in the game someone found a CD and about pissed themselves.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

New ZERO Seivert developer news update post teasing what's in the patch next week!

Highlights include:

Emissions (ala STALKER)

Radioactive Rain! (sounds like a genuinely interesting choice to stay or keep going on, may be less interesting if it has no meaningful effect on enemies)

QoL stuff:

Fully rebindable keybinds

Barman offers to fill hunger and thirst for money!

Money spent on repairs/healing/filling up food or thirst now go into the global trader currency! Very nice.

Drinking and Eating in Bunker is instant!

Looted Containers appear greyed out! Kinda nice actually.

And a lot more apparently. Also some Q&A stuff about what's coming in 2023!

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Those are some great little changes.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

My kingdom for a Sort button on the stash...

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

CuddleCryptid posted:

This is an extreme condemnation of Tarkov, I didn't know it was that bad.

All I know that in one of the like two goon runs I did in the game someone found a CD and about pissed themselves.
Tarkov quests are universally "kill x", "get y", "hold the use key on z", and, the most widely hated of all, "kill x with weird stipulations". One of the most infamous quests is having to get headshot kills from very far away, 4 times each for every map, and it only counts other players, not AI.
At least ZS has some slightly cinematic quests, even if the ghoul nest stuff is one of the few highlights. They don't have to worry about interfering with other players so they can make a given mission all about you, the one and only important special boy.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

twistedmentat posted:

Hey, is this like Long Dark were animals are scared of fire?

Some say he's still fleeing with a flashing flare stuck to his rear end to this day.

papersack
Jul 27, 2003

Rynoto posted:

Card Survival:

The latest update added some cool new stuff including a non-lethal, high-level trap that can catch monkeys and birds so you're no longer as RNG dependent. Boar breeding is also in which is a very strong source of food. Also included was a new item to lets you move large items between zones without them being directly in your inventory and leather gloves for even more hand protection.

A good update all around.

Nice. All good updates and at a fast clip. I'll check this out over the long weekend.

TastyShrimpPlatter
Dec 18, 2006

It's me, I'm the
Are the loading times in Zero Sievert absurdly long for everyone? Is there any way to shorten them?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

TastyShrimpPlatter posted:

Are the loading times in Zero Sievert absurdly long for everyone? Is there any way to shorten them?

Turn off dynamic grass so it can skip that step? They're a bit long on my laptop but not excessive.

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

I’ve found them long as well, no option changed it much. It even loads in container contents slowly giving me a spinning wheel loading thing, but I haven’t played in a couple weeks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

They take somewhere like 30 seconds for me? I guess I'm just used to Tarkov times because it's never bothered me.

Sweeper posted:

I’ve found them long as well, no option changed it much. It even loads in container contents slowly giving me a spinning wheel loading thing, but I haven’t played in a couple weeks
That's not the items loading in, that's your search speed. It's supposed to simulate you rummaging around in the container to find the items, rather than just opening a box and they're all laid out on display in front of you. It too is lifted almost straight from Tarkov, and is meant to make looting a more distracting and dangerous proposition.