Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Al-Saqr posted:

So how important (or not) is russia taking Soledar and Bakhmut at this point.

Ukraine has been throwing good money after bad about it for a while now, and a defeat here would [maybe] reverse a little of the triumphalism that people have been blaring about since September of last year

it's not really any kind of "deep" offensive, but there hasn't really been a lot going on in the front anywhere else (given that the other thing going on, missile strikes, is not a front-line issue per se)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

How on earth is London first??

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Endman posted:

How on earth is London first??

"Resonance is a global consultancy"
global consultancy same map as intl community

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Baykin posted:

threadbanning mlmp would just cause someone else to fill his role as the local thread dipshit, as evidenced by every other thread that has ever existed. a part of me cant help but think that its an actual job position that has to be filled.

thats u

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Al-Saqr posted:

Are you looking for some sort of chain of logical causality?

Cuz that's ridiculous.

Either they'll take Soledad and Bakhmut and we'll send another billion in aid, or they won't, and we'll send another billion in aid.

*any billions are subject to grifty MIC squeezings

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Truga posted:

"Resonance is a global consultancy"
global consultancy same map as intl community

Dubai is 5. And Lwow was robbed!

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

London isn’t even the best city within 100 miles of itself, let alone England

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Al-Saqr posted:

Not very because as you say russia has lost and ukraine has won.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Endman posted:

London is the best city at having great plaques of London.

"Rats carried the fleas that caused the plague. They were attracted by city streets filled with rubbish and waste, especially in the poorest areas. Those who could, including most doctors, lawyers and merchants, fled the city."

It's okay I'm sure that could never happen again.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Tankbuster posted:

Not very because as you say russia has lost and ukraine has won.

well yeah it is embarrasing that russia only managed soledar and bakhmut a full year after their invasion, I'm just wondering what that changes considering they lost Kharkov so the strategic value of those cities is much less than before.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
They want Donetsk presumably.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Al-Saqr posted:

well yeah it is embarrasing that russia only managed soledar and bakhmut a full year after their invasion, I'm just wondering what that changes considering they lost Kharkov so the strategic value of those cities is much less than before.

I know right? I could do it in no more than 20 hours on legendary campaign difficulty. It's all about having the right build for your character.

Russia taking a year? Noobs probably don't even know about swappable loadouts.

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde
As a casual thread observer I think you all hate mlmp because you see yourselves in him. Mlmp posts are good and so are the posts the rest of you folks make.

I can only read this thread once in awhile because war is loving depressing. I see some of you on every page for the past year. Anyway take care of your mental health and be nice to eachother okay?

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

hot date tonight! posted:

As a casual thread observer I think you all hate mlmp because you see yourselves in him. Mlmp posts are good and so are the posts the rest of you folks make.

I can only read this thread once in awhile because war is loving depressing. I see some of you on every page for the past year. Anyway take care of your mental health and be nice to eachother okay?

mlmp has a lot of stupid opinions, and my monitor is on

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
speaking of projecting opinions though, your sense of self and its esteem seem to have taken some damage. please visit a cleric, the green guy in that tent

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/RT_com/status/1612758777148628994?s=20

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

hot date tonight! posted:

(slowly raises arm fully extended, points finger, howling screech)

Outsider!

(shambling villagers with mishapen apprendages covered by cloth wraps emerge from nearby huts and begin to converge)

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Baykin posted:

threadbanning mlmp would just cause someone else to fill his role as the local thread dipshit, as evidenced by every other thread that has ever existed. a part of me cant help but think that its an actual job position that has to be filled.

just ban the next guy as well then

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde

lollontee posted:

mlmp has a lot of stupid opinions, and my monitor is on

Let he who does not have a lot of stupid opinions make the first post

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Dubai hahaha

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
well, majorian does not have an overwhelming quantity of bad opinions, anymore. he may remain, where he is

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

it’s good 4/25

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
mlmp is our friend

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Endman posted:

Having visited London, this is categorically true.

Like there's no reason you'd want to live there. The food is better elsewhere, the buildings are mostly old and haven't been renovated, there are no attractions to visit that aren't easily outshone by stuff you'd see in other cities on the list, and you have to deal with being in close proximity to the top Tory members.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

mlp8 reminds me of lawyers who zealously defend their client even if it means pissing off fellow lawyers with exhausting tedium that has only a small chance of succeeding

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
When the thread's arguing about posters, I take that as an indication that there's not much going on with the actual war.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Majorian posted:

Does he post anywhere else? I’ve literally never seen him post anywhere else.

It’s rather rare these days. I was more active elsewhere in this sub a few years ago.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

mlmp08 posted:

in this sub

Redditor spotted

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

gradenko_2000 posted:

Redditor spotted

I’d rather be accused of being a spy or even a royal watcher.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Speaking of royal-watchers, apparently Canada has formally announced that they are buying F-35s. Expensive, but looks like they were tired of the will they won’t they dance of the last several years.

https://twitter.com/anitaanandmp/status/1612477001792688130?s=46&t=MjwABMXkCc_FF7OSHeXc-w

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Majorian posted:

Nah, this thread needs at least one lightning rod. Otherwise it turns in on itself, not unlike a beaver’s teeth curving around until it pierces its own brain, which is a thing that happens in nature. mlmp is the log upon which this beaver of a thread must chew occasionally. This is a perfect metaphor.

thread bans are dumb.

but speaking as someone who doesn't read this thread as actively anymore but catches up every few days, it's lame when 180 of the 200 unread posts are always the same mlmp slapfight again.

bring back to guy who just posts every single tweet he finds with no comment imo

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

speng31b posted:

bring back to guy who just posts every single tweet he finds with no comment imo

the Some Guy TT fan club is growing!!!

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

speng31b posted:

it's lame when 180 of the 200 unread posts are always the same mlmp slapfight again.

Meh, my posts are about 3-4% of the thread by postcount, tops. A small portion of the content. But gonna hit the road soon, and I don’t post while driving so you’re free for a little bit!

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

gradenko_2000 posted:

the Some Guy TT fan club is growing!!!

:yeah:
https://twitter.com/tsihanouskaya/status/1612383115669807105

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

mlmp08 posted:

Meh, my posts are about 3-4% of the thread by postcount, tops. A small portion of the content. But gonna hit the road soon, and I don’t post while driving so you’re free for a little bit!

You will be deeply missed. The rest of the thread feels the same way, they just don't want to admit it.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

What does "we are a nation now" even mean

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Pistol_Pete posted:

When the thread's arguing about posters, I take that as an indication that there's not much going on with the actual war.

there's some signs of instability at the ukrainian positions in donetsk, but that's about it atm - there seems to have been a crack in the lines which allowed the russians to push into one of the fortress towns and compromise the position, but as i understand it the ukrainians managed to get reinforcements in and avoid any real collapse. these will be good units, though, and as far as i can tell everyone agrees that the fighting is very hard; some of the noises coming out of the ukrainians seem to indicate that they're preparing for the possibility of losing the town.

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Am I the one at fault? What about me is wrong?
Buglord

Fuligin posted:

dont follow this chain of reasoning. verdun makes some sense, how is it like przemysl at all?

as the focal point of a theoretical offensive into hungary proper, przemysl involved the austro-hungarians feeding pretty much the entire KuK into a series of offensives attempting to break the siege, and every one of them ended in disaster. the entire peacetime AH army was disassembled on the walls of the fort and battles around it. it was both the death of major AH offensives in that section of the theater for the rest of the war and the reason the dual monarchy had to rely the older and older conscripts to bulk out remaining formations while bleeding the heartlands white. each successive wave of conscription led to things like the genocidal reprisals against serbs in the southern front and all the awful poo poo they were doing to slavs in general behind the front lines as morale and cohesion grated under repeated defeats and a complete gutting of the officer corps.

whether it will end up like verdun (entire army mutinies to protest the horrific conditions everyone was suffering) or przemysl (any man under the age of 40 is no longer alive in the ukraine) or some more mundane defeat like the battle of the frontiers is yet to be determined

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

Hmm, in my entire life leading up to this war I never heard of Kyiv... there's this other city called Kiev though...