Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Homeless Friend posted:

it was too long but it did have racist ron perlman which we need more of. movie characters aren't racist enough

im gonna watch hellboy 1 & 2 now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

We Had a Chance And We Blew It

Yeah, the film clearly is self-satire about that, which probably made it a worse movie since it doesn’t believe in itself. But it seems pretty clear to me that Adam McKay was under no delusions that the film could make a difference, it was more raging at the dying of the light than call to arms.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

We Had a Chance And We Blew It

do you think they cast the private jet owning pedophile who famously grandstanded about climate change with near zero follow-through as a joke? im really asking here, because i was thinking watching it and its satire of billionaires and how disconnected from reality they are, is this movie a freaking joke on the cast? because the principal three cast members have like, a billion freaking dollars, and im thinking, this has gotta be a joke right? but it didnt seem to be.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

quote:

I used to work at the Sony Distribution Center in Terre Haute back in 2011 and I can confirm that we did assemble the cases for Final Fantasy Origins for PS1.

Saw this youtube comment in the wild. "Guy working in the Terra Haute PS1 game factory in 2011" sounds like a E1 character

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Wolfsheim posted:

This is objectively untrue lol

could have been an issue with the theater or the glasses. but whenever there was a strong light on screen there was a weird and annoying flickering effect. everyone else i went with also experienced it

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

That DICK! posted:

do you think they cast the private jet owning pedophile who famously grandstanded about climate change with near zero follow-through as a joke? im really asking here, because i was thinking watching it and its satire of billionaires and how disconnected from reality they are, is this movie a freaking joke on the cast? because the principal three cast members have like, a billion freaking dollars, and im thinking, this has gotta be a joke right? but it didnt seem to be.

I don't like Tyler Perry either but I dont think hes a pedophile

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

babypolis posted:

could have been an issue with the theater or the glasses. but whenever there was a strong light on screen there was a weird and annoying flickering effect. everyone else i went with also experienced it

worked on my machine

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Smythe posted:

my dad was watfching the cnn show about rudy guilionoi AMERICAS MAYOR on cnn last night and it pissed me off so muchi had to leave the house and go home whereupon i fell asleep instantly due to eating a big dinner of 99 ribs he mad eon the bbq. kinda related to movie talk i guess.

I know. Libs doing a Dinesh D'Souza hit piece on Rudy is lmao

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Xaris posted:

Zoolander ftw

I'm finishing the movie. It's so good and very stupid. Better message than Don't Look Up... Might be the first time Ive seen references to MKUltra and The Jakarta Method. Anyways, this is a more effective satire and scathing indictment of our current times. Actually funny as well, lmao zipdisk jokes.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Atrocious Joe posted:

Saw this youtube comment in the wild. "Guy working in the Terra Haute PS1 game factory in 2011" sounds like a E1 character

With a lot of stories about how Crash Bandicoot is a prick in real life.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Smythe posted:

and also EXO SQUAD (epic show w/ SICK moral & philosophical themes....)

When I was a child I was babysat by this teenager in my neighborhood once and he had some EXO SQUAD action figures. I mistakenly broke one and he called me a "dip" (which I think was a 90s-specific insult).

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Ytlaya posted:

When I was a child I was babysat by this teenager in my neighborhood once and he had some EXO SQUAD action figures. I mistakenly broke one and he called me a "dip" (which I think was a 90s-specific insult).
yeah dip as an insult makes me think of blossom for some reason

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Ytlaya posted:

i say swears online posted:

yeah dip as an insult makes me think of blossom for some reason

its a good insult

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/dave_horwitz/status/1612331013539270658?s=46&t=Uwk_Qgfrf9ldg-W6epQVWQ

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

Homeless Friend posted:

it was too long but it did have racist ron perlman which we need more of. movie characters aren't racist enough

Have you ever seen The Last Supper? Kind of a corny 90s dark comedy where a bunch of students invite radical idealogues to dinner parties and then kill them. You might enjoy it.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
The Hunt is kinda exactly like that, but also the opposite. That movie is good too. Fantastic showdown fight scene in the model kitchen.

Broadlybrowsing
Jul 5, 2021
Anybody see The Menu? I saw the trailer and immediately thought cannibalism . When there wasn’t any I was surprised and it hooked me. Then it kinda did social commentary, and I walked away feeling the movie thought it was smarter than it was.

Performances were fun and I enjoyed it though.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
Yeah it kicked rear end, cancelled our dinner reservations and went home to make a dish heavily referenced at the end of the movie

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
watched master and commander tonight epic movie

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Smythe posted:

:hfive: dudes rock: the movie

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
those torrent pirated stream feeds have been dead for over a week now. RIP. i guess i need to find another source for TMK

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

Smythe posted:

I had a column in the college newspaper where I would take a professor in a related field to the movies and write up them making GBS threads all over it, instead of doing that I took a professor who had an Aubrey/Maturin 2000 bumper sticker and it was probably the best time I’ve had watching a movie in a decade or so, even the movie adaptation kicks rear end

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Smythe posted:

every so often I think about getting HOLD FAST tattooed on my knuckles

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
now I can call it avatar two can i just saw it two times

Dmitri-9 posted:

Have you ever seen The Last Supper? Kind of a corny 90s dark comedy where a bunch of students invite radical idealogues to dinner parties and then kill them. You might enjoy it.

now there's a movie with pazaz
always loved it when they're discussing how to kill their guests and they have to concoct this elaborate scheme so their victims wont feel bad about dying, kill them but ya know humanely

Honest Thief has issued a correction as of 11:22 on Jan 10, 2023

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
does the podcast thread have a, ah... a discord

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Smythe posted:

watched epic movie

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
it might be extremely useful to have a discord to discuss the podcasts and share... opinions, regarding the podcasts

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

lollontee posted:

it might be extremely useful to have a discord to discuss the podcasts and share... opinions, regarding the podcasts

someone made one ages ago, i'll see if i can dig it up

edit: https://discord.gg/wcek5fRx

crepeface has issued a correction as of 13:07 on Jan 10, 2023

Enrico la Spaniard
Dec 15, 2021

Xaris posted:

those torrent pirated stream feeds have been dead for over a week now. RIP. i guess i need to find another source for TMK

drat. Noticed the same thing a few days ago. Shoot me a PM if you find a new source of the usual stuff.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

That DICK! posted:

im really asking here, because i was thinking watching it and its satire of billionaires and how disconnected from reality they are, is this movie a freaking joke on the cast? because the principal three cast members have like, a billion freaking dollars, and im thinking, this has gotta be a joke right? but it didnt seem to be.

Between Glass Onion and The Menu we’re in a golden age of satires of out of touch rich people written by, directed by, and starring out of touch rich people

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Smythe posted:

The best villain protagonist movie ever made

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Between Glass Onion and The Menu we’re in a golden age of satires of out of touch rich people written by, directed by, and starring out of touch rich people

I’ve been watching a lot of comedies from the 30s lately and they had this going on too.

Godfrey ftw

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

crepeface posted:

thank you, sincerely

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

mawarannahr posted:

I’ve been watching a lot of comedies from the 30s lately and they had this going on too.

Godfrey ftw

the difference is they hadn't yet forgotten how to make movies in the '30s (My Man Godfrey owns, The Thin Man owns, William Powell king)

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

mawarannahr posted:

Godfrey ftw

sure, but the dialogues were ten times better

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

lollontee posted:

thank you, sincerely

no probs. i haven't seen it in awhile, surprised and happy to see it's still there and being used.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

the amount of cgi in Glass Onion was unnecessary, no wonder netflix needed half a billion dollars to buy it

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

crepeface posted:

joining in, also!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

crepeface posted: