Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said
britpop was probably the last time the old media monoculture controlled popular music so it's unsurprising that all these freaks are desperate to retvrn

there were a ton of other music scenes going on a the time which have become far more influential and important in the long view imo

britpop gave us landfill indie which gave us mumford & sons, it was always a path to ruin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tesseraction posted:

The splitting and refactioning of Rhapsody is still very funny to me.

We here of Luca-Fabioist Tendency (Elven Fire Branch)

I haven't ever honestly figured out what is going on with the names, everything on youtube seems to use them interchangeably and I can't hear much difference.

There is also at least one gloryhammer song that I think must be an intentional style parody because it sounds extremely similar.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

I haven't ever honestly figured out what is going on with the names, everything on youtube seems to use them interchangeably and I can't hear much difference.

There is also at least one gloryhammer song that I think must be an intentional style parody because it sounds extremely similar.

The keyboardist and guitarist are founders and had a friendly split in 2010, with the keyboardist Staropoli maintaining the right to Rhapsody of Fire and keeping the original vocalist, Fabio Lione, and the guitarist making Luca Turilli's Rhapsody, and then that group split up and Fabio left Rhapsody of Fire to join Luca in a new project Turilli / Lione Rhapsody.

And yes gloryhammer are a comedy band who play into the silliness of metal.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ah so it really is just like minor left political parties then.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Ska owns.

Scones.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

If anyone thinks that the private sector is better or more efficient for healthcare then force them to watch this video and demand to know exactly which part is preferable to the NHS even in its current state.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wpHszfnJns

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Barry Foster posted:

but it was released in 1992, hence Selected Ambient Works 85-92 :pseudo:

He'd been making music since he was a kid (if he is to be believed, he's a notorious liar) by dissembling TVs and other electronics and making his own crude synthesisers (if he is to be believed, he's a notorious liar), sure

Aphex Twin peaked with this one really. The rest of it was chin stroking white student nerd garbage

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kjEDX-2M7Qk

Carl Cox dropped this at Dreamscape 3 and the crowd went WILD

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Dabir posted:

Ska owns.

Scones.

How are you pronouncing "owns" :commissar:

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/theipaper/status/1612794091179220993

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Person in charge of Tory social media, no doubt hired for being “down with da memes” - “yes the Stalin photo has only been a running gag for about a decade, can’t see this being a problem”

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Smh at this drat thread forgetting this classic from last year

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLLQFLXz6VE

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Maybe that's the untouched original and Boris was photoshopped IN the picture?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Ebola Dog posted:

This infuriates me so much, I went to the GPs with tonsillitis, throat covered in ulcers for over a week before I went, barely able to eat or drink anything without significant pain. Get to the GP, he has a look, says it's probably tonsillitis, and then asks "what do you want me to do about it?".

I'm like, I don't loving know, I'm not a doctor, I just want to feel better and be able to eat something, at this point I don't care what you do to make me feel better just do it. Ended up with antibiotics and was already on the mend by the next morning.

Patient choice is great, but it has to be informed otherwise it is useless. There's no point asking a patient what they want you to do if the patient doesn't understand what can or needs to be done. There's a reason doctors have spent many years at medical school.

I had the same in my mid 20s. My throat looked like it had two bunches of white grapes down it.
My flat mates took me to A&E because I was in a terrible state fever & all. The triage person put down 'sore throat'. Then when I got to see the doc, it turned out to be tonsillitis + pharyngitis + laryngitis all at the same time.
Anyway, as I had had several bouts of tonsillitis over the previous couple of years, each worse than the last, I was finally able to get them taken out after a lot of arguing with the doc because they kept saying 'it won't stop sore throats'.
It wasn't a wretched sore throat I was worrying about it was more and more time off work with fevers and extreme pain!
Having them removed was a dramatic improvement to my life.
In the 60s it was a pretty standard operation for kids, many of my class-mates had it done before they were 10 and were allowed to eat megatons of icecream. By the 80s when I had mine done we were forced to eat scratchy TOAST. Aargh. Had to take painkillers to eat! Where was my icecream (making up for it now :) )

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005

Ebola Dog posted:

This infuriates me so much, I went to the GPs with tonsillitis, throat covered in ulcers for over a week before I went, barely able to eat or drink anything without significant pain. Get to the GP, he has a look, says it's probably tonsillitis, and then asks "what do you want me to do about it?".

I'm like, I don't loving know, I'm not a doctor, I just want to feel better and be able to eat something, at this point I don't care what you do to make me feel better just do it. Ended up with antibiotics and was already on the mend by the next morning.

Patient choice is great, but it has to be informed otherwise it is useless. There's no point asking a patient what they want you to do if the patient doesn't understand what can or needs to be done. There's a reason doctors have spent many years at medical school.

IDEAS, CONCERNS, EXPECTATIONS.

I know what you mean though. When I go to the garage I listen to the garage man and take his advice. That's why we have experts.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I hate when the doctor asks me what I think I’ve got and if I already know what I want them to do for me, because if you spend more than 5 minutes on webmd all roads lead to cancer anyway

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

If anyone thinks that the private sector is better or more efficient for healthcare then force them to watch this video and demand to know exactly which part is preferable to the NHS even in its current state.

The obfuscation bit was highly relevant as a user of the UK welfare system.

I wrote out a bigpost about the private provider I saw yesterday, but unfortunately I was mad and on my way back when I wrote it so it came out as an infodump that reads like one of those guardianista 'cromulent fuckcrustable' threads.

Short version is in a unified NHS, I could visit my GP, who would look at my medical history and wrist and say "yes you need steroid injections" and then book me an appointment with a practice nurse who injects it. Even with 2 week delays you're looking at a month turnaround and staff and premises the NHS is already paying for.

I now have to self refer to a company who don't trust my self diagnosis and can't access my medical history, and they refer me to another company who are apparently trying to administer physio to the entirety of oxfordshire, who don't trust my self diagnosis either, so essentially want to restart a course of physio before they'll even consider steroid injections.

They were so shoddily run I had an anxiety blowout and left. So the upshot of the new, efficient private NHS is two companies that didn't loving listen, four months wasted and still no treatment.

Deathslinger
Jul 12, 2022

Gonzo McFee posted:

Smh at this drat thread forgetting this classic from last year

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLLQFLXz6VE
I only just found out this is on Spotify, otherwise it would have easily made my top 10 most player list for last year

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Well you see, it's good because as a rich Oxbridge PPE grad I can jump the queue to make sure my cancer gets seen before you, the plebian

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I'm in a "whatever the gently caress is going on with FFXIV's soundtrack" phase.

Also Sonic Frontiers had some bangers as usual.

Are you me?

(One Way Dream made me an emotional mess on first listen)

Anyway- UK takes another vile step to poo poo on trans people. Looks like the plan is to not recognise GRC from countries that allow self id. I just feel so much despair, which is what the shits want.

Skeletome fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jan 10, 2023

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Just gotta say this is a good and very funny video that everybody should watch. Brian David Gilbert (BDG) is an absolute treasure.

I don't understand why anybody would voluntarily listen to Clown Core. It's especially puzzling because Louis Cole is an incredibly talented musician, both solo and with his band Knower at making actually good listenable music - though some of it does tend towards the "meme-y":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnEmD17kYsE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glgPZmSwC4M

As for other incredibly good music, I've just discovered King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard. They're so good - and prolific! They released 5 albums last year and there is not a single filler track among them.

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I had the same in my mid 20s. My throat looked like it had two bunches of white grapes down it.

I think they'd thrown out doing it on the NHS at the slightest sore throat by the early/mid 90's, some girl I was in 6th Form with nearly died until they finally decided 'Oh yeah, this will sort you out'. Despite her repeatedly pleading with them to take them out and missing about 2/3's of the lower 6th year.

Ah the pustulent Britpop head of Roll with it vs Country House for the number 1 spot, the worst songs by two bands with a lot of lovely songs. The comments on that leading to 00s Indie landfill murk is amusing too, like Sleeper/Cast/Menswear et al weren't mediocre guitar slop with no value whatsoever. At least Kula Shaker trailblazed the entire 'Rich Mum so I'll be in a band thing' that every charting band with a guitar's been for the last 15-20 years.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

WhatEvil posted:

I don't understand why anybody would voluntarily listen to Clown Core. It's especially puzzling because Louis Cole is an incredibly talented musician, both solo and with his band Knower at making actually good listenable music - though some of it does tend towards the "meme-y":

Wait that's him again? Dude just keeps banging out tracks.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

mrpwase posted:

How are you pronouncing "owns" :commissar:

"Owns".

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

WhatEvil posted:

Here's some different, and very British/Bristol, clowncore - Ed Cox
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7phHRROSY4

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I had my tonsils out in 1999 for what was significant but not excruciating pain. It was pretty sweet, I got 2 weeks off school and Pokemon Red/Blue came out while I was off so I just played that nonstop

WhatEvil posted:

Just gotta say this is a good and very funny video that everybody should watch. Brian David Gilbert (BDG) is an absolute treasure.

I miss his Polygon videos so bad :(

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

WhatEvil posted:

I don't understand why anybody would voluntarily listen to Clown Core.

Because it's extremely good.

As is the rest of Louis Cole's output.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Tesseraction posted:

Wait that's him again? Dude just keeps banging out tracks.

Yeah pretty certain that's him on drums. There's a very Clown Core track on LC's latest album too (it devolves into madness for the second half):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmRHU3c3_n0

IDK if Marlon Mackey is the other Clown Core guy?

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

WhatEvil posted:

IDK if Marlon Mackey is the other Clown Core guy?

Sam Gendel is the sax guy. He's in the Knower vid you posted, so good.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
My phone just very helpfully buzzed to tell me that my evening shift is about to start at royal mail. Which is pretty disconcerting, since I haven't worked there in over fifteen years.

Why it decided now to dig up an ancient google calendar I have no idea.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
i found out today that my first school teacher suddenly slouched and became unresponsive over christmas and when her son rang for an ambulance he was told it could be up to 4 hours and he'd best bring her in himself. old school friend of mine was at home with his parents over christmas and the lady's son came over to ask for help. my friend and his dad had to get an old door from the garage by way of a stretcher and four people took the poor woman to hospital in a transit van and into A&E on a loving door

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
she had sepsis and without the treatment prob wouldn't have lived

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

mossyfisk posted:

My phone just very helpfully buzzed to tell me that my evening shift is about to start at royal mail. Which is pretty disconcerting, since I haven't worked there in over fifteen years.

Why it decided now to dig up an ancient google calendar I have no idea.

sunak earlier today: we will beat these loving strikes one way or another so help me god

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

crispix posted:

i found out today that my first school teacher suddenly slouched and became unresponsive over christmas and when her son rang for an ambulance he was told it could be up to 4 hours and he'd best bring her in himself. old school friend of mine was at home with his parents over christmas and the lady's son came over to ask for help. my friend and his dad had to get an old door from the garage by way of a stretcher and four people took the poor woman to hospital in a transit van and into A&E on a loving door

crispix posted:

she had sepsis and without the treatment prob wouldn't have lived

jesus christ

amazed she lived but fair play to her she's not letting these cunts bump her off that easy

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

crispix posted:

That's horrible but has your friend considered opening up a private ambulance company? Door2DoorOnDoor :v:

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Things continuing well over at Twitter I see.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Things continuing well over at Twitter I see.

prince haz tugging nervously at his collar after realising he accidentally searched it while logged into *turns to camera* Nord VPN dot com forward slash Tesseraction TV

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

My mum ended up on the floor for hours through the night a few years back waiting for an ambulance because she hosed her leg up.

And then of course wouldn't vote for that damned corbyn because what about my taxes???

Honestly they should have just left her there.

franco
Jan 3, 2003

keep punching joe posted:

Every band will basically be Kula Shaker.

Oh please no. Govinda gently caress off.

Surprised to see they're still going (well, the noted swastika fan frontman plus session musicians).

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
In video game soundtrack chat, I'm not sure what subgenre of hip-hop the Anarchy Reigns OST is, but I definitely vibed with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
It's not videogames but Epic Mountain which does the sound for kurzgesagt has some absolute bangers https://soundcloud.com/epicmountain/the-largest-black-hole