Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Steve Yun posted:

Fuckin egg prices man

Also egg shortage thanks to avian flu

It’s an eggtastrophe!

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/newyork/news/why-are-egg-prices-so-high-bird-flu/

My condolences to Taiwanese and Chinese Americans for losing their food supply

The cage free brown eggs are cheaper than the basic styrofoam white ones where I shop atm. It's upside down land.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Went looking for cornstarch at Publix yesterday and was told they had been out of it for several weeks. Haven't checked any other stores but is this the first supply chain disruption thing of 2023, or what?

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

The Midniter posted:

Went looking for cornstarch at Publix yesterday and was told they had been out of it for several weeks. Haven't checked any other stores but is this the first supply chain disruption thing of 2023, or what?

We can’t find dark brown sugar right now

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I haven't seen a bottle of sriracha at the grocery store for like 3 months.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

veni veni veni posted:

I haven't seen a bottle of sriracha at the grocery store for like 3 months.

Hasn't there been a Sriracha shortage for awhile now? I think there have been some crop failures among their chili producers, Huy Fong stuff seems like it's been in short supply for a couple years.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah it's been hit or miss. It's sold out most of the time since the pandemic, but then I'll see a nice big supply and scoop up a big bottle. Then it'll disappear again. But I've never seen a stretch this long without a single bottle on the shelves.

I could still easily order it online but sellers on Amazon put a huge markup on there. I'm might just suck it up and do that. 2x of the big bottles for like $17.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don't remember how I found this thread, but this is a great street food thread in GBS that you guys might appreciate.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4020224

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Shooting Blanks posted:

Hasn't there been a Sriracha shortage for awhile now? I think there have been some crop failures among their chili producers, Huy Fong stuff seems like it's been in short supply for a couple years.

Their bottles of garlic chili sauce have noticeably changed in color consistency, too. Still tastes good though, so I'm not complaining.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
iirc it's a combination of covid loving everything and bad growing conditions in Cali

thetan_guy42
Oct 15, 2016

murdera

Lipstick Apathy
I'm eating cochinita pibil tacos (pit bull meat) and it's one of the tastier things I've had lately. Feels like this could be the next "it" taco

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Leraika posted:

iirc it's a combination of covid loving everything and bad growing conditions in Cali

yeah there was a drought in northern mexico too which is where they get a bunch of the specific red jalepenos from

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

thetan_guy42 posted:

I'm eating cochinita pibil tacos (pit bull meat) and it's one of the tastier things I've had lately. Feels like this could be the next "it" taco

Pit bull meat, eh? Well, as long as you don't use a choke collar

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

thetan_guy42 posted:

I'm eating cochinita pibil tacos (pit bull meat)

lmao, imagining an annoying white guy at the taqueria condescendingly explaining this to someone

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Leraika posted:

Sounds like you're going through what Aussies have been going through this past year or so, it's got to the point where Guardian Australia run an article each month telling you what's available at a good price and what's been hosed by the weather

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2023/jan/05/sensational-lychees-pricey-passionfruit-australias-best-value-fruit-and-veg-for-january

my advice would be to stuff your freezer full of frozen fruit and veg just in case

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

They’re coming for the Filipinos now

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Steve Yun posted:

They’re coming for the Filipinos now

Isn't Nestle one of the companies that expanded business in Russia while most other businesses that size were pulling out of the country for ethical reasons? Trash trash trash.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Ugh nothing like your oil going rancid and not realizing it till you’ve already cooked with it

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Sorry to sound scatterbrained but I just found out that people in New Zealand don’t rinse their dishes after soaping them and ugh

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Steve Yun posted:

Sorry to sound scatterbrained but I just found out that people in New Zealand don’t rinse their dishes after soaping them and ugh
Have you never met a British person before?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

SubG posted:

Have you never met a British person before?

I have British friends but I don’t think it’s reasonable to expect that I’ve ever watched them wash dishes

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Steve Yun posted:

So they just like…soap them and then wipe them dry?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Soap and then put in dish rack

Edit: some rinse, some don’t

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

They just let the soap residue dry on the plate??? :ohdear:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
https://i.stuff.co.nz/life-style/homed/kitchen/121880277/home-debate-do-you-rinse-the-soap-off-your-dishes-after-theyve-been-washed

:britain:

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Jan 13, 2023

Duckbill
Nov 7, 2008

Nice weather for it.
Grimey Drawer
But drip drying has nothing to do with soap residue, surely? I don't bother to dry plates with a towel when they could just go in the drainer for a bit, but I do rinse the soap off first because I don't want to eat soap.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Duckbill posted:

But drip drying has nothing to do with soap residue, surely? I don't bother to dry plates with a towel when they could just go in the drainer for a bit, but I do rinse the soap off first because I don't want to eat soap.

It’s monstrous!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I have never heard of someone not rinsing the soap off in my life.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

I have never heard of someone not rinsing the soap off in my life.

My first job in a hospital in a very small respiratory therapy dept, I watched my unit lead wash dishes in the break room sink and place them in a drying rack without any attempt at rinsing them or even using a towel to maybe dry them and remove a bit of the soap. This was about a decade ago and I still think about it every time I'm rinsing any dishes I'm handwashing. They were from a very small town, I tell myself this must be the reason but truthfully I'll never know.

E: this is in West coast Canada and this person has never lived in NZ.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I feel so anxious and distraught after this line of discussion

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

One of my roommates heard of this, tried it against our will and fed us all soap the next day. Roommate was reminded often of this grave misstep. Unless the soaps are weaker or unscented I don’t see how it’s tenable. SURELY there’s something going on where people aren’t just eating soap flavored food…..right?

mystes
May 31, 2006

ThePopeOfFun posted:

One of my roommates heard of this, tried it against our will and fed us all soap the next day. Roommate was reminded often of this grave misstep. Unless the soaps are weaker or unscented I don’t see how it’s tenable. SURELY there’s something going on where people aren’t just eating soap flavored food…..right?
I think it will just gently caress up your digestive system too

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I really want it to be one of those practices where, it's a bastardized version of something that actually makes sense. Like you don't have to rinse the soap off of a soup pot because you'd use it to rinse vegetables the next day anyhow, so you conserve soap and water.

...but this is humans we're talking about so the dumbest explanation has a good chance of being right :negative:

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
One the hard lessons staying in hostels and student accomodations with Brits. They insist the soap drips off. I learned to prewash any plate, glass, etc.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Arkhamina posted:

One the hard lessons staying in hostels and student accomodations with Brits. They insist the soap drips off. I learned to prewash any plate, glass, etc.

At least if the Brits are doing the washing up that implies that weren't responsible for the cooking.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Drip off lol, that's a fundamental misunderstanding of how soap behaves

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

BrianBoitano posted:

I really want it to be one of those practices where, it's a bastardized version of something that actually makes sense. Like you don't have to rinse the soap off of a soup pot because you'd use it to rinse vegetables the next day anyhow, so you conserve soap and water.

...but this is humans we're talking about so the dumbest explanation has a good chance of being right :negative:

Don’t forget laziness as well as idiocy. I live in the UK and can’t say I’ve come across this, mercifully.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

The Something Awful Forums > Goons With Spoons > GWS General Chat...

Brawnfire posted:

a fundamental misunderstanding of how soap behaves

Mods pls

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

BrianBoitano posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Goons With Spoons > GWS General Chat...

Mods pls

YES. Motion seconded.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Arkhamina posted:

Can they not taste the soap???? Whaaaaaa mind is breaking