Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
The Jets should do the Quinnen deal like today. Why make this a story all off-season?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

mcmagic posted:

https://twitter.com/RichCimini/status/1612507876773224457

The Jets' ratio of t shirts with meaningless slogans on them to wins is relatively infinite.

FINISHED

Is Saleh the guy who made up the MIKE loving WHITE shirts? Clearly he loves cheap tees as a motivational tool

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

https://twitter.com/PFF_Sam/status/1612607854430588929

And I love that he’s still incredibly salty over PFF crediting him for a Lamarcus Joyner mistake.

https://twitter.com/ZackBlatt/status/1612213912207851522

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
I don't have a strong opinion on MLF from a QB development standpoint. The QBs were lovely, for sure. But we also assume bad results means bad coaching, and that's definitely not always the case when it comes to QBs. Some players just aren't as good as you want/need them to be, and some just don't take to coaching. MLF could have a fantastic process when it comes to the day-to-day development of Zach Wilson and it might not matter at all because Zach Wilson is just that bad and/or uncoachable. There's not a ton we can know from the outside.

(Also MLF & Co. did coach Mike White up from a scrap heap practice squad pickup to a viable backup QB. That's not the franchise QB everyone wants, but it's still a coaching success. So *something* they were doing worked. It just didn't take with Wilson.)

This is not meant to be some full throated defense of MLF btw. He's been absolutely maddening as a playcaller.

Professor Funk fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jan 10, 2023

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
There are a few elite offensive minds in the NFL and the rest are pretty much replacement level. Your OC isn’t the reason your QB sucks. He might make marginal differences but there is no OC who would’ve made Zach Wilson good. Maybe an OC with more clout in the league could’ve talked Saleh into benching Wilson earlier but who knows.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Fully agreed that Zach Wilson is possibly the worst QB of his draft status I’ve seen in a really long time.

I don’t think any coach was getting him to Sam Darnold level let alone 2022 Geno Smith.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

https://twitter.com/flasportsbuzz/status/1612571849174441984?s=20&t=9wlY0Pe6pUAazx0Z-T3vPg

No idea what any of this means. Does strike me as a competitive disadvantage to have to draw up three distinct game plans, though.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Everything about this game is a competitive disadvantage.

PHINS UP!

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

xposted from political cartoons thread

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Hamhandler posted:

I mean you can basically use the same video for Sauce Gardner’s DROTY campaign as you can to illustrate the Jets getting away with penalties.

I suffer from this regularly but he’s void of all logic

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Edit: wrong thread!

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Gabe Davis replacement! From one end of QB Coolness to spectrum to the other.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

https://twitter.com/BfloFanatics/status/1612656165946523654?s=20&t=JjzVyCZiG-HsWGeQGMENWA

BILLIEVE

AJA
Mar 28, 2015

platzapS posted:

"Are you there god? It's me, Buffalo Bill. We're kinda in trouble here against the Patriots. That special teams TD earlier was really cool, if you could re-do that I'd trade it for any other special teams play later on"

"ANY SPECIAL TEAMS PLAY, YOU SAY"

"oh yes, absolutely!"

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
In part of the argument of whether it's bad Jets coaching or Zach Wilson is just bad, for his career has just two 300 yard passing games (and one at 297) and no 3 TD passing games with only five 2 TD passing games out of a total of 22 games played.

in 8 games, Mike White has a 400 yard passing game, and two 300 yard passing games. Also he has 2 games with 3 TD passes.

Flacco had two 300 yard passing games this year, and a 4 TD game.

Josh Johnson last season had a 300 yard passing game while throwing for 3 TDs in the one game he mostly played last year.

The fact that nearly every QB that has played for the Jets these last two years BUT Wilson has shown flashes, makes me think a lot more of the problem is WIlson then the coaches.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

fsif posted:

No idea what any of this means. Does strike me as a competitive disadvantage to have to draw up three distinct game plans, though.

Three game plans for getting obliterated.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Here’s an insane stat (and also why I don’t think the Jets defense is a fraud or whatever):

https://twitter.com/richcimini/status/1612794480398057476?s=46&t=2fLhG4HSKhMMKFFoyyziSg

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Professor Funk posted:

Here’s an insane stat (and also why I don’t think the Jets defense is a fraud or whatever):

https://twitter.com/richcimini/status/1612794480398057476?s=46&t=2fLhG4HSKhMMKFFoyyziSg

It's a fine defense. It's not elite until they start taking the ball away. They also gave up horrendous plays to lose both the Lions and bills games. If they make a few plays they win those games and they came up small.

Even sunday, against an offense without an NFL quarterback they gave up like 160 yards rushing and 5 YPC. They aren't horrible but they are very overrated.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jan 10, 2023

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

I think it's a very good defense. Agreed 100% they need to take the ball away more, especially with the pass rush they generate. I don't care about anything that happened in the last game of the year with nothing at stake, though they struggled more against the run later on in the year.

In any case, if they had a remotely functional offense the defense would have carried them to the playoffs. It was better than "fine."

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Professor Funk posted:

I think it's a very good defense. Agreed 100% they need to take the ball away more, especially with the pass rush they generate. I don't care about anything that happened in the last game of the year with nothing at stake, though they struggled more against the run later on in the year.

In any case, if they had a remotely functional offense the defense would have carried them to the playoffs. It was better than "fine."

I also think they are still running the Gus Bradley defense that is too simple and too predictable for the current day NFL. They have better players so the defense looks better but they aren't outcoaching anyone or gameplanning well.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
You can do that when you have the talent though, which they do

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

mcmagic posted:

I also think they are still running the Gus Bradley defense that is too simple and too predictable for the current day NFL. They have better players so the defense looks better but they aren't outcoaching anyone or gameplanning well.

How is it "too simple and too predictable for the current day NFL"? They finished as a top 5 defense by basically any conceivable metric, lol

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Imagine if Gabe Davis was good.

https://twitter.com/GregTompsett/status/1612461217427095552?s=20&t=UEiwCmPHpqY0Iy2rgjYX4w

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

platzapS posted:

If the Bills lose it's going to be so annoying seeing that POS posted

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Professor Funk posted:

How is it "too simple and too predictable for the current day NFL"? They finished as a top 5 defense by basically any conceivable metric, lol
From W5 on they allowed a single 100 yard receiver the entire year despite the "current day NFL" being 100% geared towards the passing game. It was Evan Engram.

They faced:
Waddle x2
Tyreek x2
Diggs x2
Jefferson
St Brown
Lockett
Metcalf

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
It's not even like it was a routine throw on a first or second down but Allen rescuing a 3rd and 12.
https://twitter.com/BillsByBryce/status/1612640961552695298

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Diva Cupcake posted:

From W5 on they allowed a single 100 yard receiver the entire year despite the "current day NFL" being 100% geared towards the passing game. It was Evan Engram.

They faced:
Waddle x2
Tyreek x2
Diggs x2
Jefferson
St Brown
Lockett
Metcalf

I think mcmagic will say that the Gus Bradley/Saleh defense basically sells out to prevent big plays at the cost of letting teams complete quick passes for shorter gains, while banking on the pass rush to make 1-2 big plays a drive to prevent a score or keep the opposing offense to a FG. That's a fair structural criticism of the defense but, like, it also worked really well with the Jets' personnel for the most part because they have the defensive line depth for it. A scheme being "complex" doesn't automatically make it good, and the Jets did a good job of marrying the strengths of the roster to the scheme. That's really all that matters.

Professor Funk fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jan 10, 2023

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Pablo Bluth posted:

It's not even like it was a routine throw on a first or second down but Allen rescuing a 3rd and 12.

Davis has absolutely no separation and Allen is still able to deliver it to a spot where only Davis can catch it. What a crime.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Professor Funk posted:

I think mcmagic will say that the Gus Bradley/Saleh defense basically sells out to prevent big plays at the cost of letting teams complete quick passes for shorter gains, while banking on the pass rush to make 1-2 big plays a drive to prevent a score or keep the opposing offense to a FG. That's a fair structural criticism of the defense but, like, it also worked really well with the Jets' personnel for the most part because they have the defensive line depth for it. A scheme being "complex" doesn't automatically make it good, and the Jets did a good job of marrying the strengths of the roster to the scheme. That's really all that matters.

They are geared towards rushing 4 and playing coverage and they have great CB's so it has worked. Their DL other that Quinnen aren't winning one on one's or at least they did less and less towards the end of the season. I think there is a lack of creativity in coverages and blitzes that isnt fooling anyone and I think that is a big reason they don't force any turnovers.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Pablo Bluth posted:

Those stats have to be subjective because man had at least two on Sunday

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

t a s t e posted:

Those stats have to be subjective because man had at least two on Sunday

They definitely are. NBC said he leads the league with 7: https://scores.nbcsports.com/fb/leaders.asp?type=Receiving&range=NFL&rank=232

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Pro Football Reference have him at nine.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I am just waiting for the breaking news tweet that Mayo has been hired by some trash team to be a DC and I'm going to laugh in anger as Steve sticks around.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I am just waiting for the breaking news tweet that Mayo has been hired by some trash team to be a DC and I'm going to laugh in anger as Steve sticks around.

Josh McDaniels survives the apocalyptic collapse of Las Vegas into the Earth's core and returns home to New England... to be put in charge of the defense.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Why does it have to be some trash team

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

mcmagic posted:

They are geared towards rushing 4 and playing coverage and they have great CB's so it has worked. Their DL other that Quinnen aren't winning one on one's or at least they did less and less towards the end of the season. I think there is a lack of creativity in coverages and blitzes that isnt fooling anyone and I think that is a big reason they don't force any turnovers.

I think they need a more reliable source of edge pressure more than anything else. It's malpractice that they played Huff so little; he should be seeing 20 snaps a game even if he's not a good fit against the run. Hopefully Johnson takes a step next year too.

Professor Funk fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jan 10, 2023

whatis
Jun 6, 2012

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Three game plans for getting obliterated.

both Buffalo games vs Miami have been very close and I have no idea why anyone expects things to go differently in the third game if Tua is healthy*

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

whatis posted:

both Buffalo games vs Miami have been very close and I have no idea why anyone expects things to go differently in the third game if Tua is healthy*

No one thinks Tua is healthy.

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
if his brains are less scrambled than game #1 but more scrambled than game #2, I think it still shapes up to be a 1 or 2 possession game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Yeah I agree I just don't think anyone is expecting Tua to play at all.