Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Nancy posted:

I think what people like about the Arkham combat is that it's sort of a rhythm builder. I just liked the "flow" of it I guess? But I'm not amazing at video games so there was a good amount of challenge at keeping the punches and dodges flowing. Witcher 3 is similar to me but the implementation is a little looser and adds in direction playing a role in how and when your strikes connect; this may be what you ran into when it felt random to you.

Yeah I see "Witcher 3 combat is random" a lot and I sympathize because the game doesn't help you learn what's going on with the combat at all. A lot of people are spamming the trigger/mouse button thinking the combat works like it might in a Diablo game when it's not like that at all. It doesn't tell you that the reason Geralt is doing weird stuff is because you're constantly interrupting the combos and getting punished for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Nancy posted:

I think what people like about the Arkham combat is that it's sort of a rhythm builder. I just liked the "flow" of it I guess? But I'm not amazing at video games so there was a good amount of challenge at keeping the punches and dodges flowing. Witcher 3 is similar to me but the implementation is a little looser and adds in direction playing a role in how and when your strikes connect; this may be what you ran into when it felt random to you.

Can totally see how someone could find the combat style tedious though, especially if you didn't find it particularly challenging or compelling to keep tempo.

Yeah, it just wore on me for awhile since so many other games implemented the combat as well. We finally get a big budget AAA LOTR game annnnnd Bamham. We get a mad max game, complete with making your own vehicles out of scrap aaaaaaaaaaaand bamham. I feel the same thing about Souls combat, and I like souls combat but I don't want literally every game to be souls

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Tiny Timbs posted:

Is this a forums ban on talking about the game or what

it is

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Witcher 3 has bad combat because it has enough depth for like a 10-20 hour game but the game lasts for 100+ hours so it's just mind numbingly boring for most of the game

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Witcher 3's combat is actually pretty good, albeit easy and simple.
Learning how to beat a pack of wolves with only a sword and without getting hit was extremely satisfying.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Andrast posted:

Witcher 3 has bad combat because it has enough depth for like a 10-20 hour game but the game lasts for 100+ hours so it's just mind numbingly boring for most of the game

Yes but...combat is only like 20% of the game.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

can we get stux back in here please

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

The new Witcher 3 update added quick casting signs which makes it so you don't have to go to the radial menu to cast them anymore. Makes things flow really well. Not perfect by any means but I've always enjoyed the combat.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Jack Trades posted:

You still need to do hours upon hours of it

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Honestly it looks like VG is saying people who don't want people to complain about the new HP game will have to deal with people complaining about the new HP game for good reasons? So I'm not quite sure. I hope this doesn't come across as combative.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

can we get stux back in here please

Is that a threat?

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Jack Trades posted:

I mean, another 20% is holding down the witcher vision button and following glowing red footsteps while Geralt mumbles to himself that these aren't devil tracks, they're human tracks and that something isn't right here.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

ultrafilter posted:

Don't gently caress with Disney.

Pooh is public domain now so it doesn't really matter

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

I mean, another 20% is holding down the witcher vision button and following glowing red footsteps while Geralt mumbles to himself that these aren't devil tracks, they're human tracks and that something isn't right here.

Yes, and? That's one of the good parts.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Jack Trades posted:

yeah, thats one of those games i have zero qualms about knocking it to easy because i'm not playing it for the combat

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.

Jack Trades posted:

Witcher 3 was so loving good people were playing previous games in the series and reading books for the first time because of it.

NOBODY is going to start reading Harry Potter books because of that game. I'll eat my loving hat if anyone does.

Not really a comparison that works though. Witcher was a niche fantasy series that was barely in English before the games. Probably the people getting the Hairy Potter game have already read the books and seen the movies and own a bunch of dumb pop figures of them.

My Witcher opinions are that 3 is too loving long, Skellige is one of the worst examples of pointless wastes of time points of interest and I skipped most of them.

But overall it's a great game and if you're a person who can just do quests and not feel forced to visit every pixel on the map it's awesome. If you're like me and you can't ignore anything (except skellige poo poo) then could possibly burn out on it and miss out on a cool story

My last opinion is that overall I enjoyed 1 and 2 a little more than 3.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Skellige felt kind of weird because a lot of it centered on the water and the water combat always felt extremely phoned in. It's one of the parts of the game where the seams of game development struggles looked really obvious.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It wasn't a good area at all but it had some cool story content. Should've made it a lot smaller or something.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The series peaked at Witcher 1

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

What

the combat is horrible, you can't even predict which randomly cycled animation you're going to get when you press attack. hitboxes are all over the place. 99% of the content is just random ubisoft-tier markers that are usually just a monster standing next to a chest. the mechanics for sailing are literally broken and the game will fall apart from all the bugs and glitches still associated with boats and 80% of the skellige content is just sailing to a spot, jumping out, oneshotting all of the sirens or harpies with your lovely hand crossbow and then grabbing a bunch of junk, I saw junk because the itemization is embarrassing. you will never pick up something that's better than what you can craft easily unless its like ten levels above you. the world makes zero sense, you'll still be running into club wielding bandits with wooden clubs at level 30+ and if they're a higher level than you they'll kill you instantly, even if you can slaughter elite soldiers in armor that are the same level. The potion mixing is dumbed down massively from Witcher 1 and 2. It literally has nothing going for it besides visuals and narrative.
You just complained about the combat (correct there isnt much to it) and a bunch of nonsense mechanics almost no one engages with. Is there a bunch of pointless open world fluff in the game? yeah absolutely but none of that is why the game is good/liked.

Loved skellige btw the environment was just superb and it had a lot of really good quests. The characters in the game are just something else.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jan 10, 2023

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
No lie, I was really into Witcher 3. I had a mod that added all the crap to the map and as mentioned I have a bad trait that makes me do everything in a game. When I got to skellige and opened the map I closed the game and stopped playing, went back 2 years later and finished it but had to force myself to not go doing all the crap littering skellige

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Lord Lambeth posted:

Skellige felt kind of weird because a lot of it centered on the water and the water combat always felt extremely phoned in. It's one of the parts of the game where the seams of game development struggles looked really obvious.

Didn't help that it was like 80 hours in to a 100 hour game. The burnout was real by Skellige

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Lord Lambeth posted:

How many quests make you do water combat? I don't remember having to do any water combat at all.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

You only had to do water stuff to get the dumb treasure chests I think

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Witcher 3 is good at exactly one thing: Story stuff, both main and side stuff. Fortunately it is exceptionally good at that so I will forgive a lot of things about it.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Heart of Stone is so loving good.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Andrast posted:

Witcher 3 is good at exactly one thing: Story stuff, both main and side stuff. Fortunately it is exceptionally good at that so I will forgive a lot of things about it.
To me the visual design is just insane. The monsters, characters and environments. I don't think any game matches it.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Resdfru posted:

It's a pointless debate anyway. Harry Potter is the 8th highest grossing media property ever. It's gonna sell a gently caress load and nothing anyone says is gonna change that

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest-grossing_media_franchises

Paw Patrol is more successful than Halo, lol

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.

kazil posted:

Didn't help that it was like 80 hours in to a 100 hour game. The burnout was real by Skellige

I also went there at 80 hours but I was super over leveled the quests that took me there. I guess you're supposed to stop what you're doing and go there and then leave there before you finish all of it and go back and forth. Which honestly sounds annoying

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

Paw Patrol is more successful than Halo, lol

Kids (parents) are a gold mine

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Great art design, great graphics, great music, great voice work, fun & rewarding combat (that does get old after a bit)

so many things it's good at

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I also quite enjoy W3’s combat. It’s not the most in depth thing ever but when you’re fighting packs of enemies (especially humanoids) and get into a good rhythm it feels good. I don’t like the monster encounters as much, sadly. I also found it more fun my second time through on Death March so I had to care a bit more about prep.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

No Wave posted:

You just complained about the combat (correct there isnt much to it) and a bunch of nonsense mechanics almost no one engages with. Is there a bunch of pointless open world fluff in the game? yeah absolutely but none of that is why the game is good/liked.

yeah but its still bad lol

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Andrast posted:

It also had a pretty good barbershop experience. Not too fiddly, decent amount of options, no need to wait for the hair to grow back to get longer hairstyles, and even a joke haircut. Solid 7.5/10.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

forgot about the good hair

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i mean i just set witcher 3 to easy because i hate the combat but love the dialogue and sidequests but a better solution than "set the game on easy" is "the game's combat should not be rear end"

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Anno posted:

I also quite enjoy W3’s combat. It’s not the most in depth thing ever but when you’re fighting packs of monsters and get into a good rhythm it feels good. I don’t like the monster encounters as much, sadly. I also found it more fun my second time through on Death March so I had to care a bit more about prep.

I remember trying to play on Death March but found that the Alternative Quen just breaks the whole difficulty. Once I figured that out it wasn't difficult at all anymore, just tedious, so I just dropped it down to Broken Bones instead.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i mean i just set witcher 3 to easy because i hate the combat but love the dialogue and sidequests but a better solution than "set the game on easy" is "the game's combat should not be rear end"

It is in fact good and not rear end, actually.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Skellige is weird because it's not really open world the way rest of the game is. You're basically visiting each island like it's a planet in a Bioware game and clearing out quests, the geography makes it absolutely terrible for wandering around. Heck, instead of making you sail to each island, they just have a vendor sell you maps that enable fast-travel.

I definitely got the impression that they had some big idea for it that never got finished. It also has the problem where like... going there the first time is a big, momentous event, and then you don't actually accomplish much and end up zipping back and forth multiple times just to follow the main plot.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Tiny Timbs posted:

Great art design, great graphics, great music, great voice work, fun & rewarding combat (that does get old after a bit)

so many things it's good at

I read this and thought you were talking about Paw Patrol and was glad children’s programming was upping their game!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

i thought Witcher combat was fun but mostly serviceable. I mainly went into alchemy so it was more about balancing how much poison Geralt can drink and still be functional versus the combat mechanics themselves. Also, bombs were cool

Never did finish the game tho. Wanted to wait for the new update to start a new playthrough but it looks like its a bit borked so I wanna wait a little bit longer for hotfixes