Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Desperately searching the web to find out if Andrzej Sapkowski has ever said anything bigoted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

Paw Patrol is more successful than Halo, lol

Kids loving love dog cops. Parent Goons suffering through Paw Patrol is one my favorite microgenres of post

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

zoux posted:

Desperately searching the web to find out if Andrzej Sapkowski has ever said anything bigoted

that dude seems like a major dick + sucks so probably

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I kept the difficulty up because if you're avoiding monster nests and other open world stuff there really isn't that much fighting to get through (relative to the overall length) and the bosses and hunts are pretty fun so I liked them living longer. Never felt that tedious to me and I enjoyed going full green spec, doing a little prep, and having that prep actually be worthwhile.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Of the games I finished from August to now, I liked:
Elden Ring
King's Field 1-4
Control
Homeworld Remastered Collection
Disco Elysium

Which I think shows that I like a great variety and type of video games. I think two of those games are AAA(maybe homeworld counts) but I don't really care for or about AAA games. They all play the same, shoehorn in the same rpg-lite mechanics and prioritize graphics over gameplay

Here is my gaming resume goonsirs, I believe this proves my opinions are beyond reproach!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Those games are pretty win.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

RandomBlue posted:

Here is my gaming resume goonsirs, I believe this proves my opinions are beyond reproach!

lets see it

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Yeah when I saw that list I thought "wow good list"

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

The real Witcher 3 combat was Gwent

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
Were the separate Gwent games any good? I've always been curious but haven't taken the plunge.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

kazil posted:

The real Witcher 3 combat was Gwent

Rogue Mage any good? Enjoyed Gwent in-game, but don’t really play multiplayer card-stuff much. Heard RM was a good translation of Gwent for socially inept goons like me.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Nancy posted:

Were the separate Gwent games any good? I've always been curious but haven't taken the plunge.

I liked the single player one. Story was good, gwent was ok.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Nancy posted:

Gwent beta was to me amazing one of my favorite games. But it was quite tilting and it had some incredibly low retention rate. CDPR fired the ornery lead dev (who works for Hearthstone now) then tried to redo the entire game in six months. They put some idiot in charge and it was imo really incredibly bad, they kept putting effort into it for four years and announced a month ago that its entering maintenance mode at end of 2023.

There were two single player games, Thronebreaker and Witcher Tales: something or other. Thronebreaker has wonderful writing and out of card game art but the gameplay is the same bad post-beta gwent gameplay and the combat scenario design is 80% of the time horrible. I still "liked" it overall because single player CCG is my favorite genre and the writing/characters were so good but the gameplay is basically bad. The second game was a roguelike and it's like the first game without writing or any of the good parts (or so I've heard I never played it).

So my personal advice would be to skip the multiplayer game unless the rumored chinese resurrection of the OG beta game happens. Play Thronebreaker if you're willing to deal with really boring gameplay for more than half of the game.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Tiny Timbs posted:

You only had to do water stuff to get the dumb treasure chests I think

You had to use the boats a bunch regardless because Skellige is an island. Which I guess you could mitigate if you used fast travel but it still feels like a weak part of the game.

Estel
May 4, 2010

Jack Trades posted:

Witcher 3 was so loving good people were playing previous games in the series and reading books for the first time because of it.

NOBODY is going to start reading Harry Potter books because of that game. I'll eat my loving hat if anyone does.

I'm not saying the Hogwart's game is going to be great or anything like that. Maybe it will be good or maybe poo poo, that doesn't matter at all.

What I am saying is that Witcher 3 and Skyrim attracted a lot of people that hadn't really played too many games or none at all before. Because of all the things i said, because story, characters, etc...

You or others may not like it or find everything about Rowling offensive, as it should be, but there is no denying that Harry Potter has probably more followers than the Witcher and Elder Scrolls series combined.

Thinking that the game is not going to be one of the best sellers of this year is silly.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

There are maps you can buy in Skellige that open up a lot of the fast travel points. I didn't even know they existed before my latest playthrough. Makes getting around a lot easier.

https://witcher.fandom.com/wiki/The_Lonesome_World_Guide_to_Ard_Skellig

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Eh standalone MP Gwent really hit its stride after the 6 month rework, they'd basically designed themselves into a corner with the beta and the way the systems worked led to some really degenerate gameplay like dagon weather decks. Post-Homecoming was pretty varied though I haven't played in like half a year.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Azran posted:

Eh standalone MP Gwent really hit its stride after the 6 month rework, they'd basically designed themselves into a corner with the beta and the way the systems worked led to some really degenerate gameplay like dagon weather decks. Post-Homecoming was pretty varied though I haven't played in like half a year.
The game is dead lol. They just announced end of development.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Two of the best narrative games of the last year just got bundled together for a slight discount:

https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/29945/Cartoonists_Turned_Game_Devs/

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!
The dice game in Cult of the Lamb is kinda sorta not really like Gwent. It’s good in any case.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

RandomBlue posted:

He said I didnt like anything,I said here's some games I like recently. Thanks for your post, the discussion was missing a token "pretend you said a different thing" post.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Nancy posted:

Yeah when I saw that list I thought "wow good list"

What did u like about Control?

For me it was the Oldest House itself. It feels like a brimming ball of potential. Honestly if the radiant quests were better I would have stuck with it for another 10+ hours doing all of the extra and side missions easy peasy, also if I hadn't been told by someone you can't actually make The Hiss go away forever, because I felt motivated as well to protect that place.

TheDiceMustRoll fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jan 10, 2023

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The five page derails over whether it's too hard or not

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

im glad Control added the customizable difficulty options. I never used them but a lot of ppl clearly did not enjoy the default difficulty and im glad they got to make the game more fun for themselves

Very excited for Control 2. Have they said anything about it yet? Is it supposed to come out this year?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Remedy is working on Alan Wake 2 before Control and that's still supposed to release this year. There's also some separate MP project that's being developed concurrently but I know next to nothing about that.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

im glad Control added the customizable difficulty options. I never used them but a lot of ppl clearly did not enjoy the default difficulty and im glad they got to make the game more fun for themselves

Very excited for Control 2. Have they said anything about it yet? Is it supposed to come out this year?

Nope, Alan Wake 2, sorry.

Also I got spoiled, because someone here(?) told me that Launch was insanely OP compared to guns so I maxxed out launch before anything else and...yeah. Launch is insane, poo poo only got hard at the DLC, where they went "you know what, throwing a boulder at someone DOESNT kill them instantly, gently caress you". I also had a bit of trouble with the final boss before I figured out you can interrupt his move that turns all of the lights off with the triple-launch.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I don't think it's supposed to be a surprise that Launch is the best ability in Control. It's like, The Thing you do the most.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Do people actually play Alan Wake?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

no i stopped playing it after i beat it

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

forgot about Alan Wake 2. I played the first one like 2 years ago and thought it was pretty fun, if bare-bones. Def looking forward to what they do for a sequel.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

He said I didnt like anything,I said here's some games I like recently. Thanks for your post, the discussion was missing a token "pretend you said a different thing" post.

What did u like about Control?

For me it was the Oldest House itself. It feels like a brimming ball of potential. Honestly if the radiant quests were better I would have stuck with it for another 10+ hours doing all of the extra and side missions easy peasy, also if I hadn't been told by someone you can't actually make The Hiss go away forever, because I felt motivated as well to protect that place.

Same, the setting really made it for me. I really liked the mix of mundane-ish deserted office space and pushing into different unknown areas. There's parts that I felt worked more than others, but the game felt really generous in giving the player a variety of spaces to explore and toys to play with and personally I don't think many games do that.

It's one of the few I've been compelled to try and 100% and I enjoyed all the time I spent with it.

Standouts for me were pushing into weirdo super hostile fungus areas, weird liminal areas like the concrete bridge chasm, and chasing down escaped psychic artifacts, even if things like the twisty TV gave me pretty severe vertigo

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I was most surprised by the scientist's physique in the underwear scene. He clearly worked out.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Since we're talking about bad combat.

Control.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
we came in

Jack Trades posted:

Control.

isn't this where

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Couple of Dusk questions:

- Do secret walls always have some kind of tell, or is this a "check every surface in every level" situation?
- Any tricks for checking for secrets faster, like holding E while running instead of tapping it, etc?

Estel
May 4, 2010

No Wave posted:

I was most surprised by the scientist's physique in the underwear scene. He clearly worked out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EJufYOzp8U

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

zoux posted:

Did you find anything?

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Jack Trades posted:

Control.
I could not get into Control. The world is so bland and colorless for me to want to puzzle my way through it and the only combat I could enjoy was throwing desks at people and it became fairly uninteresting.

But I have bad opinions, I couldn't get into Returnal either.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Jelly posted:

Did you find anything?

No. Some accusations of sexism in his work but nothing to make sure I bring up every single time the Witcher is mentioned ._.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Nancy posted:

I think what people like about the Arkham combat is that it's sort of a rhythm builder. I just liked the "flow" of it I guess? But I'm not amazing at video games so there was a good amount of challenge at keeping the punches and dodges flowing. Witcher 3 is similar to me but the implementation is a little looser and adds in direction playing a role in how and when your strikes connect; this may be what you ran into when it felt random to you.

Can totally see how someone could find the combat style tedious though, especially if you didn't find it particularly challenging or compelling to keep tempo.

New Spiderman has the same comabt system but there's something different about it I can't place my finger on cause I gently caress it up a lot more than I did Arkham or Witcher.

I like describing it as having a "flow" to the combat, when I play those games my goal in combat is to keep the flow going and rack up that combo counter, or at least not get hit, and it visually looks good while you do it; I think spiderman did a good job mimicking it while giving it's own style, in Arkham most of the time can just stay still and as long as you press counter at the right time youll be fine, in spiderman you wont, you need to keep mobile and swing around (like spiderman would)

It's one of the things I miss in modern Assassins Creed, combat in Black Flag had a good flow to it, and it could be way too easy, but fighting a big groups of guy without getting hit, grabbing body shields when they shoot at you, could be hard and it was fun when you did everything right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

As the person who originally made the comment about the association in this thread, I think it goes a bit deeper than that. Considering her name is on the tip of anyone's tongue in answer to the question, "Who is the most harmful transphobic celebrity icon in the world?".

She is responsible for a lot of pain, suffering and death in this world, and not just to those that surround her.

But feel free to keep downplaying it like we shouldn't ever give a poo poo what creators are doing when they're not creating.

gently caress Rowling and anything she's associated with.