Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Beet Wagon posted:

I assume when I die CIG will print out a picture of my ships and ritualistically burn them in celebration lol

You get moved from "snowflake" to "melted" status in their crm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

4th Stimpire Queen
May 4, 2022

Contemplate with nice thoughts and utterances.

The Titanic posted:

If you ship doesn't get hit by a tiny bug and launch into the atmosphere straight up at Mach speed, leaving you stranded on a planet... it's not a bethesda game.

You need to wait for the "call your ship back from space" mod which will be tied to the "autopilot" required mod that gets all the likes.

FUD!

They have beacons now, you can totally create one, ask for help, put in a fee and an helpful citizen will come to help you.

Or kill you.

Or drug you, fantasy rape you and keep you drugged for "experimenting".

No, I am not kidding.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_rlaq434UmX1vmobp0.mp4

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

4th Stimpire Queen posted:

FUD!

They have beacons now, you can totally create one, ask for help, put in a fee and an helpful citizen will come to hlp you.

Or kill you.

Or drug you, fantasy rape you and keep you drugged for "experimenting".

No, I am not kidding.

Oh I was referring to Starfield. The space game that will actually be finished for people to play before we all die of universal heat death. :)

However for star citizen... ya that's super creepy. I have a hard time with any video game that let's people live out creepy rape fantasies like that and all kinds of non consensual stuff. I know in some games it's the whole point of the game, but those are like you Rust or DayZ kinds of things and you go in knowing that's part of the experience. Cig should be more focused on the kind of game they're trying to make and let people know what they're getting into.

4th Stimpire Queen
May 4, 2022

The Titanic posted:

Oh I was referring to Starfield.

Soz, if I see someone mentioning bugs and missing features I assume theyre talking about SC. :negative:

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Azubah posted:

Its what Beet would've wanted.

Sometimes you can still see them post.

so true and sad 😔

The Titanic posted:

Exciting for you. I hope life is wonderful. ;)

It has been really great being totally disconnected from SC tbh, I keep meaning to come back here and shitpost but tbh I spend most of my time on twitter now. The only downside is that there's a couple weirdos in derek's old discord who decided to get obsessed w/ me when they found out im trans despite like not having interacted with me in half a decade lol, but it is what it is

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Daztek posted:

Dibs on Kayak
Seconds dibs in case you die.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
https://twitter.com/RistoSquared/status/1611918357544202240

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Star Citizen’s only real trick is that it’s a “seamless” first person experience. It’s cool that you can walk around your spaceship and enter and exit it without teleporters or loading screens. And it’s really good at piquing people’s imaginations and letting their minds fill in some amazing space fantasy that the gameplay mechanics will never support.

But spacelegs should be a feature built into a game thats actually fun and functional. Star Citizen is just a hacked together CryEngine mod, and the decision to have full spacelegs just saddled them with tons of technical debt and is dragging down their efforts to put anything else in the game. They have no idea how to get out of the hole they’re in, and they just keep throwing more Full Sail grads at the problem, and adding in whatever random poo poo they can get sort of working like go-kart racing to give the illusion of progress.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Welcome back CIG! Thanks for all your hard work! We love you! (2023) posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VppjX4to9s4

We (me and probably alot of others) Want to say thank you for all your hard work in 2022 and we look forward to more awesome things in 2023! Here are a couple of points I think I would like to make.

1) Star Citizen is still the best dam Space Sim in all of 2022.. and so far in 2023.
2) 3.18 Has amazing evil killer elevators in the PTU!!! (PLEASE KEEP THEM!!!)
3) I hope guys caught up on your sleep over the holidays
4) Did it feel nice to show back up at your desk on Monday knowing you apart of the most amazing video game creation of our generation.

Thanks for letting us know.

Please state your Love and Admiration for CIG. If your a grumpy skyisfalling type or the glass is half-full, this thread is not for you :face_with_rolling_eyes:

4th Stimpire Queen
May 4, 2022

Lmao, it looks SOOO bad!

The washed out colours, the lovely rocks, the horribly straight riversides, that crappy pastelike "grass", the fake water....holy poo poo imagine gushing over this.

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

I swear I think I've seen them all and still Spectrum finds new ways to surprise me.

CIG's jpegs confirmed as donations by divorce. :snod:

Imagine the lulz if the ex had snatched half his thousand dollars fleet!

wow, cig even considered edge cases like this when they decided that they received 500.000.000 in donations, not through sales.
bdsscce (best drat space sim creating company ever)

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
It hasn't been mentioned recently about games that do what SC supposedly can:

Angels Fall First

It has fps combat, ship boarding, objectives of critical systems in a ship while that ship is fighting another ship, dogfighting, and I think at one point even had planetary assaults from space with no load times.

Oh it also ran well, was about the same 45$ price tag, and released in 2015. And supported battles of 200 players or so per side.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

ENHANCE

:yikes:

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jan 10, 2023

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

:frog:
lmao this looks so terrible

i'm the distinct lack of shadows

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

You can get better draw distance in vanilla Skyrim with just one edit to its .ini file, and shockingly it will run at more than 30fps on a 4090.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I keep finding more, lol. It looks so bad

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jan 10, 2023

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

They’ve never figured out how to get CryEngine to render huge open world environments. That’s why the game can only look good in small spaces, like ship interiors or their landing zones which are smaller than a local airport in a 4th tier US city.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Imagine having to talk to your divorce lawyer about not wanting to give up half of your internet space ship jpegs.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Kosumo posted:

Imagine having to talk to your divorce lawyer about not wanting to give up half of your internet space ship jpegs.

my friend when you're a citizen and invested in CIG you surround yourself with like minded folks

it's called the winning mindset

i imagine that type of person has hired a lawyer who has also expressed their love for space ship jpegs

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Rotten Red Rod posted:

That game looks kinda neat and I could play it right now on gamepass, but I won't because I'm so completely done hearing him do the 2 voices he does.
The game has a lot of great voice acting. JB Smoove makes alone makes it worth a try.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Beet Wagon posted:

It has been really great being totally disconnected from SC tbh, I keep meaning to come back here and shitpost but tbh I spend most of my time on twitter now. The only downside is that there's a couple weirdos in derek's old discord who decided to get obsessed w/ me when they found out im trans despite like not having interacted with me in half a decade lol, but it is what it is

Sorry you have to deal with dumbasses. :(

You got my support. :glomp:

Have fun with life and enjoy every day.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

I just want to say that for a corny space game, the rivers have already been way overworked.

What you have now is totally fine. Maybe stop having those guys work on rivers and have them check out the really bad fps and space combat and work on that.

Maybe have people focus on something that isn't graphics and make it good too.

I know the big thing is that sc does all these things... but what it does do it does it very very badly and not fun.

Y'all done killed the river splines. Congrats on taking half a decade to make an auto material that comes with most engines today out of the box, and for $50 you could buy an asset pack that probably looks even better. But it doesn't matter. It's done. Put a fork in it and move on to the next priority that is hopefully gameplay.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
Imagine being the first cig employee ever to move some piece of functionality to the done column on their kanban board.

Would he or she feel pleasure? Shame? Fear?

Do it cig developer. Be the first one to call something done.

Finish that river auto material.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

I’m not sure all the fuss over these rivers tbh

Whenever I boot up sim city it reticulates the splines quickly

Every time

Come on cig step up !

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

i was posting a message in the Teams app for work, started to type "stick" and my phone suggested "stimpire"

what the gently caress

4th Stimpire Queen
May 4, 2022

Ash1138 posted:

i was posting a message in the Teams app for work, started to type "stick" and my phone suggested "stimpire"

what the gently caress

We are everywhere.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

Lmao, it looks SOOO bad!

The washed out colours, the lovely rocks, the horribly straight riversides, that crappy pastelike "grass", the fake water....holy poo poo imagine gushing over this.

I feel this is unfair. It looks strange from the air, but most computer games look a bit off from that vantage, as the environment is designed to be viewed from the character's view on the groun-

A spaceflight game, you say? I see

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013
Sheesh u guys picking on details with the river thing. Its a space game with unlimited scope, defending the last of humans under attack from aliens, forging deep bonds of loyalty with janitors and barmen!

Star Citizen is finished and its a great game, they should add the Vanduul as a DLC (1 character at a time). Perhaps they can add some other mission types or even quest chains with a story in 2025?

Anyway, buy an Idris

4th Stimpire Queen
May 4, 2022

This is getting ridiculous.

"best melee system"..."a bit of polish" :allears:

https://v.redd.it/raovo250g8f81/DASH_720.mp4

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time
Clouds imperium filed their UK accounts. Can't be bothered to do much with it but on the slightly topical subject, they changed some headers.

Are they sales or are they donations? Nope. They are development funding receipts.

(The previous year's accounts labelled them sales)

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

shrach posted:

Clouds imperium filed their UK accounts. Can't be bothered to do much with it but on the slightly topical subject, they changed some headers.

Are they sales or are they donations? Nope. They are development funding receipts.

Perhaps "funding" as in funds sent over by the US affiliate(s) to the UK one? Is that "revenue" coming exclusively from the US perhaps?

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time

MedicineHut posted:

Perhaps "funding" as in funds sent over by the US affiliate(s) to the UK one? Is that "revenue" coming exclusively from the US perhaps?

Nah, it's just regular sales. They split it up by the two regions now and that is just how they label the overall funding in the parent company accounts.

In the RSI subsidiary (that they have decided is a publishing entity by receiving the customer cash in the first instance) it's still just labelled as "Sales". But someone had to go in and deliberately change that header in the group accounts, so they have deliberately made that textual change in that one place that caught my eye.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
rivertech in motion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gwcKZ9JCKM

gazillion polygons peeking here and there

I wonder how much worse it looked before they released it and yet it still looks like something that was done hastily in the evening before they released 3.18

This is getting ridiculous.

"best melee system"..."a bit of polish" :allears:]
"I've seen" does some heavy lifting in that sentence, I guess the last game they played was some WC game and they're somewhat aware that other games exist, but they're all bad because

anyway
https://v.redd.it/j2l5ji0mscba1/DASH_720.mp4

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

shrach posted:

the document also provides explanation. Does this mean that if CIG goes bust they have to return anything they have not spend on game development to backers? Like all of marketing, infrastructure spending etc..

Honestly if i understood this correctly its a good thing.

Dark Off fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Jan 11, 2023

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Dark Off posted:

the document also provides explanation. Does this mean that if CIG goes bust they have to return anything they have not spend on game development to backers? Like all of marketing, infrastructure spending etc..

That is just peanuts. Does not cost them anything. First, they just regularly spend pretty much all that they receive in pledges, so there wont be much left to return if they go bust. Their fat salaries, dividends and what not, take care of milking all that can be milked, real time. Second, if the development stops, and no more money is coming in, who cares about what happens with the 3 dollars left in chest? Here, backer, you can have it. You are welcome.

MedicineHut fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Jan 11, 2023

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Beet Wagon posted:

so true and sad 😔

I believe this is what they call out of the frying pan and into the fire.

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time

Dark Off posted:

Basically, if people give them $8m for the new ship that punches above it's own weight, they just spend the money on whatever and give no consideration to the fact they have to deliver said ship.

If this were a real company doing say property development and they sold apartments up front before building them, they would consider that $8m a liability and only recognise that revenue, once they delivered the properties to the owners. (Actually their policy would probably be more like, if the apartments are 50% built, they can recognise 50% of that $8m as $4m revenue, prudence as a concept died in the early 2000s).

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Dwesa posted:

rivertech in motion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gwcKZ9JCKM

gazillion polygons peeking here and there

I wonder how much worse it looked before they released it and yet it still looks like something that was done hastily in the evening before they released 3.18

Where's the textures? It honestly looks untextured and unfinished

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

4th Stimpire Queen
May 4, 2022

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Where's the textures? It honestly looks untextured and unfinished

You don't do textures in alpha, that's a beta thing. :trustme: