Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
I used to listen to "f this movie" back in the day and its still going!

A pretty good movie review/discussion podcast and they typically cover a wide range of movies from horror to action to art house/whatever and the hosts have really good chemistry with one another.

Well it's the main host and then a different co host every week on like like a roster system but I really enjoyed it from what I remember.

Confusedslight fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Jan 9, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Seconding this recommendation, Sasso is incredible and I’m constantly losing it at his impressions. Favorites so far are Stone Cold & Sandler.

There's a lot of good Stone Cold Will Sasso in the post-Chris D'elia Ten Minute Podcast if you want that.

roomtone posted:

Anybody know of some good movie podcasts? Either reviewing newer releases, older, or just about film in general. Just something good.

I've been listening to We Hate Movies recently and it's funny but a lot of their episodes I'm just not interested in because I'll never watch the bad movies they're discussing. Also been listening a bit to Blank Check which I don't like because I think the hosts are irritating, but the format is something I'd be into if I liked the hosts better.

I know I can just search 'movie podcast' and get a bunch of stuff but it's mostly bland, and I'm guessing there are a handful of movie podcasts with actual fans.

The thing I've discovered about movie podcasts is that they are actually pretty personal as to what someone will like compared to others.

My favorite is Baseless Speculation, which is a show where a bunch of New Zealand comics talk about pop culture movies; they say some really stupid poo poo, which, I like. They do occasionally enjoy movies which is something that was missing from other comedy movie podcasts.

I like The Film Vault. I personally skip the top 5 shows most of the time, but I find the other episodes to be very helpful for keeping up with current movies (it was more helpful when I went to the movies every week pre-covid).

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
I've been listening to The Big Picture lately, it's a movie conversation show that's usually focused on a current release and then uses that to springboard into a longer conversation, e.g. The Glass Onion plus our favorite puzzle movies of all time. Not a comedy podcast but the vibe is very casual.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
Anyone have a recommendation for a podcast where each episode is just a medium dive into a random interesting thing? All my podcasts are fairly specialized so I was hoping to expand my horizons.

I realize there must be many such podcasts, so I’d prefer it to be lighter in subject matters (although not necessarily comedic) and around 1 hr or less in length.

Edit: the closest podcast like that that I currently listen to is Odd Lots, but that’s fairly focused on business and economics.

drainpipe fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jan 10, 2023

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

The Gray Area
Unexplainable
In Our Time

Mug of Glop
Mar 28, 2013

drainpipe posted:

Anyone have a recommendation for a podcast where each episode is just a medium dive into a random interesting thing? All my podcasts are fairly specialized so I was hoping to expand my horizons.

I realize there must be many such podcasts, so I’d prefer it to be lighter in subject matters (although not necessarily comedic) and around 1 hr or less in length.

Edit: the closest podcast like that that I currently listen to is Odd Lots, but that’s fairly focused on business and economics.

Underunderstood might be the podcast you're looking for.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
Thanks, those definitely look promising!

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

drainpipe posted:

BBC's the Forum

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Deep Dive in the Shallow End is a good time, definitely more on the "fun" than the "actually learn stuff" side though

Dovi
Feb 21, 2013

try "do go on" it has over 300 episodes

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Rick posted:

There's a lot of good Stone Cold Will Sasso in the post-Chris D'elia Ten Minute Podcast if you want that.

Thanks for the tip! Those are so fun.

CurvyGoonWife
Jun 12, 2018

drainpipe posted:

You’re Wrong About
Decoder Ring
Surprisingly Awesome
Every Little Thing

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Consider Omnibus as well, the episodes may look longer than you like but that includes the long boring outtro (and ad read in the middle.)

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
If books could kill is a nice new podcast where the hosts look back at the ‘airport bestsellers’ that had a big impact on society, and how loving awful they really are.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

mrfart posted:

If books could kill is a nice new podcast where the hosts look back at the ‘airport bestsellers’ that had a big impact on society, and how loving awful they really are.
Ok, I looked into this and saw that the very first thing they covered was Freakonomics (the quintessential garbage popular book IMO), and also that it’s another Michael Hobbes podcast. Thanks for the recommendation. :buddy:

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Zugzwang posted:

Ok, I looked into this and saw that the very first thing they covered was Freakonomics (the quintessential garbage popular book IMO), and also that it’s another Michael Hobbes podcast. Thanks for the recommendation. :buddy:

Yep it’s a good one!

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020

mrfart posted:

Thanks for this recommendation! Just listened to a episode and really enjoyed it!

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

mrfart posted:

Downloading now

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

mrfart posted:

Yeah this was an easy subscribe, good show.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
Incidentally, co-host Peter’s other podcast, 5-4, is very good and very funny. And also infuriating, since it’s about how much SCOTUS sucks.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
There was this podcast that I used to listen to that I'm trying to find. A guy browser's the Internet and reads not intentionally funny forums? Sorry if that's not enough information but I remember it being very funny and if anybody knows what it's name was.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Confusedslight posted:

There was this podcast that I used to listen to that I'm trying to find. A guy browser's the Internet and reads not intentionally funny forums? Sorry if that's not enough information but I remember it being very funny and if anybody knows what it's name was.

It’s maybe Lou Reads the Internet for You?

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
Yes that's it! Thank you so much!

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Can anyone recommend some more retro PC gaming/hardware podcasts? I’ve got DosGameClub which is great but looking for something else.

Specifically PC and ~90s games.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD

mrfart posted:

Subbed! Two pods I like (Sustainababble and Wrestling 20 Years Ago) are stopping so this'll fill a gap. Devastated about Sustainababble, there's nothing really like it and I'm always keen to hear what the hosts had to say about whatever environmenty/climaty thing is in the news but they feel it's time so that's fair.

I'm a Duckfeed patron now and I'm really enjoying the Watch Out for Fireballs back catalogue, it's just so much better than any other games club podcast but Cane and Rinse, which it's somewhat better than imo. I especially like that Gary seems to have similar taste in games to me but a very different outlook on life, which came across most in the Outer Wilds episode. It's cool to use games as a springboard to talk about big things instead of getting no deeper than 'this fight was annoying' or 'this weapon is cool' like most podcasts. It makes me want to try Dark Souls again just so I can listen to Bonfireside Chat. I'll stick with playing Max Payne just to listen to that episode for now.

sweet_jones
Jan 1, 2007

Since you brought it up, are there any other nostalgia wrestling podcasts that aren't terrible or hosted by Conrad?

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
A few months ago a discovered Junk Food Cinema, and my thought was "wow this is exactly what I've been looking for - I like Cargill, and the other guy is a little annoying but I can put up with that"

10-15 episodes later, and my opinion has changed to "wow this is exactly what I've been looking for - I like Cargill but I can't loving stand the other guy and he makes me want to jab pencils in my ears"

If you've listened to the podcast you'll know what I mean - the other guy REALLY sucks and is annoying. The last straw was in the episode I just listened to on The Running Man where he made a big deal about a "plot hole" that was once again the result of him not understanding something that was made very clear in the movie.

ANYWAY - does anyone have any recommendations on other podcasts like this? Deep dives on 80's and 90's movies that aren't always great but we love them anyway. I've listened to How Did This Get Made and it was close but not exactly what I was looking for. Also tried No Such Thing as A Bad Movie and hated the hosts (this is a problem i have with lots of podcasts apparently).

The thing I like about Junkfood Cinema is that the hosts (well Cargill anyway) genuinely love the movies being reviewed, even if they aren't strictly "good movies". A lot of podcasts I've looked at seem to focus on the hosts just tearing the movies to shreds, which doesn't really appeal to me.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Red_Fred posted:

Can anyone recommend some more retro PC gaming/hardware podcasts? I’ve got DosGameClub which is great but looking for something else.

Specifically PC and ~90s games.

Watch Out for Fireballs (hosted by goons) is one of my favorites, they’ve covered tons of 90s games for all sorts of systems. Would recommend poking around their back catalog for favorites, their eps on Fallout are excellent, they’ve also covered lots of adventure games.

OldSenileGuy posted:

A few months ago a discovered Junk Food Cinema, and my thought was "wow this is exactly what I've been looking for - I like Cargill, and the other guy is a little annoying but I can put up with that"

10-15 episodes later, and my opinion has changed to "wow this is exactly what I've been looking for - I like Cargill but I can't loving stand the other guy and he makes me want to jab pencils in my ears"

If you've listened to the podcast you'll know what I mean - the other guy REALLY sucks and is annoying. The last straw was in the episode I just listened to on The Running Man where he made a big deal about a "plot hole" that was once again the result of him not understanding something that was made very clear in the movie.

Oh man that’s no fun, it’s frustrating when a show has a great premise and one excellent host but they decided to pick an inappropriate cohost. I’ve heard one where the host was a professor in the field of the podcast and sounded great, then their cohost cut in with non-stop filler words such as “like, uh, um…” followed by long pauses. I understand being nervous on air but holy cow stop and do another take, or sign up for Toastmasters they helped me with that. I tried to keep listening but it didn’t get better.

That running man thing sounds bad, I abandoned a show I was already getting annoyed with when they discussed Unforgiven and kicked it off with a rant about a plot point they completely missed.

Hyrax Attack! fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Jan 22, 2023

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

OldSenileGuy posted:

ANYWAY - does anyone have any recommendations on other podcasts like this? Deep dives on 80's and 90's movies that aren't always great but we love them anyway. I've listened to How Did This Get Made and it was close but not exactly what I was looking for. Also tried No Such Thing as A Bad Movie and hated the hosts (this is a problem i have with lots of podcasts apparently).

The thing I like about Junkfood Cinema is that the hosts (well Cargill anyway) genuinely love the movies being reviewed, even if they aren't strictly "good movies". A lot of podcasts I've looked at seem to focus on the hosts just tearing the movies to shreds, which doesn't really appeal to me.

It’s a little different from what you’re looking for but maybe check out Unclear and Present Danger. It looks at 80s and 90s “Dad” movies. It’s interesting and funny.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Watch Out for Fireballs (hosted by goons) is one of my favorites, they’ve covered tons of 90s games for all sorts of systems. Would recommend poking around their back catalog for favorites, their eps on Fallout are excellent, they’ve also covered lots of adventure games.

Thanks I’ll check it out!

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Red_Fred posted:

It’s a little different from what you’re looking for but maybe check out Unclear and Present Danger. It looks at 80s and 90s “Dad” movies. It’s interesting and funny.

Thanks I’ll check it out!

Also if you enjoy the occasional goofs on WOFF and want more of that, Abject Suffering their other show which is about 75% goofs 25% about terrible/weird old games might be for you.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

LionYeti posted:

Also if you enjoy the occasional goofs on WOFF and want more of that, Abject Suffering their other show which is about 75% goofs 25% about terrible/weird old games might be for you.

Agreed it’s a fun show, might tip that into 5% game 95% goofs, especially when they can’t get some weird UK game to run and discuss Kole’s unlucky choice in plumbers resulting in a sewage disaster, or when a car ran into Gary’s house.

DrNewton
Feb 27, 2011

Monsieur Murdoch Fan Club
Searching For: Recommendations similar to Good Morning From Hell.
I just need something light, and funny.

Bonus points if said podcast has its own website to listen to, as my iPod broke.

Extra bonus points if it ISN'T American.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

DrNewton posted:

Searching For: Recommendations similar to Good Morning From Hell.
I just need something light, and funny.

Bonus points if said podcast has its own website to listen to, as my iPod broke.

Extra bonus points if it ISN'T American.

Light, funny, usually built on the premise of a podcast from a strange situation? You're looking for E1.

They don't have a website but they are on soundcloud so you can listen to them from your pc there. They are American but not coastal America, I think they're in Michigan or Ohio or something.

Here are some of their most strange situation based episodes

The cabin recording of a cruise ship that has been charted to take thousands of elderly talk radio listeners off the the edge of the flat earth
https://soundcloud.com/episode-one-868768631/190-the-captains-log-of-the-ss-forneus

People talking about their lives in the dump, which is a kind of fantasy realm made of garbage
https://soundcloud.com/episode-one-868768631/239-live-from-the-dump

basically cash cab but in an uber and the customers are increasingly distracted by bizarre happenings going on outside.
https://soundcloud.com/episode-one-868768631/117-the-cash-kia

DrNewton
Feb 27, 2011

Monsieur Murdoch Fan Club

Gripweed posted:

Light, funny, usually built on the premise of a podcast from a strange situation? You're looking for E1.

They don't have a website but they are on soundcloud so you can listen to them from your pc there. They are American but not coastal America, I think they're in Michigan or Ohio or something.

Here are some of their most strange situation based episodes

The cabin recording of a cruise ship that has been charted to take thousands of elderly talk radio listeners off the the edge of the flat earth
https://soundcloud.com/episode-one-868768631/190-the-captains-log-of-the-ss-forneus

People talking about their lives in the dump, which is a kind of fantasy realm made of garbage
https://soundcloud.com/episode-one-868768631/239-live-from-the-dump

basically cash cab but in an uber and the customers are increasingly distracted by bizarre happenings going on outside.
https://soundcloud.com/episode-one-868768631/117-the-cash-kia

Alright, that sounds like my jam! I will give it a try.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Anyone listening the the burst of Choe Show episodes that’s been coming out? I forgot I was subscribed to it then I keep getting these little episodes showing up. They seem to be random solo rambling and I haven’t made it all the way through an episode. I guess I just left it subscribed in case DVDASA came back.

ClydeFrog
Apr 13, 2007

my body is a temple to an idiot god
For movies, The Empire Film Podcast is very good. Film journalists, very fun to listen to, been going for years

I've also been listening to Knowledge Fight lately which is a fascinating dive into Alex Jones insanity. The dozen or so deposition episodes around Sandy Hook are insane. These two are now considered such experts in Jones that one of them was retained by the family's lawyers as part of the court actions

They also get into the lunacy of Project Camelot where people discuss how they are part alien etc and the secret space force

ClydeFrog fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jan 30, 2023

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug
Following the Dungeons and Dragons OGL debacle, I am wondering if anyone has recommendations for actual play podcasts using non-DnD tabletop rpg systems. Stuff like Pathfinder/Starfinder or less well-known systems. I am hoping for stuff with relatively good production standards.

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth
There's a Starfinder podcast I enjoy a lot called Cosmopunk that's been running for a few years now. Cybernetically-enhanced animal folk having space adventures, definitely inspired tonally by Hitchhiker's Guide and Red Dwarf.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
Oh These, Those Stars Of Space!, made by the same team as Rude Tales of Magic uses a system called Lasers and Feelings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Cithen posted:

Following the Dungeons and Dragons OGL debacle, I am wondering if anyone has recommendations for actual play podcasts using non-DnD tabletop rpg systems. Stuff like Pathfinder/Starfinder or less well-known systems. I am hoping for stuff with relatively good production standards.

Role Playing Public Radio is goon run and has some of the best Call Of Cthulhu/Delta Green actual plays around https://actualplay.roleplayingpublicradio.com/