Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Nice quote from 1998, grandpa

a big mac and a coke is like $12 and it comes with french fries.

if you buy a loaf of bread, good cheese, and sliced roast beef you will get more food than the big mac meal but it's gonna be like $30 at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

The Nastier Nate posted:

one of the things i started doing during covid and kept up with is meal delivery kits.

with Home Fresh for roughly about $50 a box you get 2 nicely portioned dinners which is more then enough for me and my 2 kids. usually you even get leftovers.

its alot cheaper then say if i wanted to go to like Applebee's and it scratches the itch of having different meals

plus you can skip weeks which i do all the time so i end up getting them 2 or 3 times a months. all the ingredients are right there, portioned for you and you can always customize it with whatever you have around the house.

the only thing that annoys me is that it feels wasteful paying for so much individual packaging.

Capitalism.txt

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Why would I ever want to buy a few slices of burek fresh out of the oven in the nearby burek store in the morning, and slowly eat it with some yoghurt, when I could instead spend more money making weird greasy blobs that are technically called the same way back home?

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
My mom never taught me how to cook; this was because she didn't know either because she was abandoned at 14 by mentally ill parents. A lot of the background knowledge that you're supposed to have I just don't to the point where trying to follow a conventional recipe just makes me feel stupid. My response to this has been starting slow, working on one easy recipe until I feel like I've got it more or less mastered (jar/box/bag spaghetti and meatballs, grilled cheese) which while pretty pricy at least I can practice a dozen times and get something edible in under half an hour.

Add to that sadbrain and I eat out way more than I want to, but I'm slowly getting better.

It's almost like food is a deeply personal and situational thing and making broad generalization on what is the right way to do it is stupid and comes from a place of privilege.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

tokin opposition posted:

My mom never taught me how to cook; this was because she didn't know either because she was abandoned at 14 by mentally ill parents. A lot of the background knowledge that you're supposed to have I just don't to the point where trying to follow a conventional recipe just makes me feel stupid. My response to this has been starting slow, working on one easy recipe until I feel like I've got it more or less mastered (jar/box/bag spaghetti and meatballs, grilled cheese) which while pretty pricy at least I can practice a dozen times and get something edible in under half an hour.

Add to that sadbrain and I eat out way more than I want to, but I'm slowly getting better.

It's almost like food is a deeply personal and situational thing and making broad generalization on what is the right way to do it is stupid and comes from a place of privilege.

your personal journey gives you the privilege to look down on us who "just get" food. do better.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

tokin opposition posted:

If you can afford it this is probably one of the better reasons to use meal kits. You’ll pick up a lot of knowledge of what goes together and techniques and after a few months as you get more confident you can keep the recipe cards and try to recreate the things you like. A lot of cooking is really just understanding a few basic techniques and learning how to swap things around and match stuff that will cook together or understanding when to add ingredients that cook faster than others. Especially if you’re not trying more tedious stuff like sauces and the like. I hate making sauces idk why other people are fine with it

You might want to try your hand at making soups. They’re really forgiving and even the biggest neophyte can make really good ones and they’re relatively harder to gently caress up because all the fluid means you can do an awful lot of adjusting if it’s too salty, too sweet, too bland, etc…

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
It came as a surprise to me that a lot of my friends don't know how or are incapable of cooking. This was after one complaining about spending $2000 a month on restaurants.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

tokin opposition posted:

I can't say that my parents were abandoned at 14, but they're pretty much jar/box/bag masters, so I also didn't have any skills either.

It may sound silly, but the incident that set me learning how to cook things was that I broke my microwave beyond repair, and being 24 and broke, I couldn't afford a new one.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

nexous posted:

It came as a surprise to me that a lot of my friends don't know how or are incapable of cooking. This was after one complaining about spending $2000 a month on restaurants.

One big mistake I made when I started to try to get into home cooking was to try to recreate restaurant meals at home when I really just needed to focus on learning to cut vegetables evenly so they cook evenly and not to crowd pans/trays and to use a loving meat thermometer instead of trying to feel for doneness

Also salt/pepper/spices is just something you’ve got to gently caress up a few times before you get a feel for where you like it

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

tokin opposition posted:

A lot of the background knowledge that you're supposed to have I just don't to the point where trying to follow a conventional recipe just makes me feel stupid. My response to this has been starting slow, working on one easy recipe until I feel like I've got it more or less mastered (jar/box/bag spaghetti and meatballs, grilled cheese) which while pretty pricy at least I can practice a dozen times and get something edible in under half an hour.

Sort of similar with me. My mother's been horrifically overworked her whole life (losing her mother at a young age and having to look after her younger sisters, later having to handle raising two children as a very young mother while working full time as the country was collapsing around her, etc), and learned cooking in a very... specific, almost industrial 'follow the recipe' way out of sheer necessity to be able to get anything done in time, and my attempts to get her to teach me to cook just... never found the right moment, so I never really learned anything kitchen related at home. My father... loves making barbeque when given a chance, but that isn't exactly day to day kitchen stuff. And my paternal grandmother turned into a human cooking appliance when she passed a certain age, and would start crying if she'd ever see me trying to cook because I "wasn't supposed to" be trying to do that.

I basically started from scratch, and worked my way up in a similar way. It's fun looking back and seeing how the chicken+peas+corn+dumplings+spices soup I love making now evolved from my confused early experimentation with store bought dry soup cubes while trying to fit not starving into a 70$/month (after rent) budget when my studies in Novi Sad failed. I owe a lot to friends who helped me out, as well as the old lady who worked at a nearby grocery store who had infinite patience to tell me the little preparation details i didn't know about or missed about food i was buying ingredients for (i think she just enjoyed having someone to chat with).

You're on a good track, just keep going at it. :)

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

HashtagGirlboss posted:

You might want to try your hand at making soups. They’re really forgiving and even the biggest neophyte can make really good ones and they’re relatively harder to gently caress up because all the fluid means you can do an awful lot of adjusting if it’s too salty, too sweet, too bland, etc…

One of my early staples when I was broke and starting out was egg drop soup:

Lightly beat two eggs together in a bowl.

Boil two cups of chicken broth (I used bullion, since it was shelf stable and cheap) for 5 minutes.

Remove the broth from heat, and gently stir, while slowly pouring the eggs into the broth.

Add a pinch of white pepper, and a couple drops of sesame oil.

Enjoy.

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

Iron Crowned posted:

One of my early staples when I was broke and starting out was egg drop soup:

Lightly beat two eggs together in a bowl.

Boil two cups of chicken broth (I used bullion, since it was shelf stable and cheap) for 5 minutes.

Remove the broth from heat, and gently stir, while slowly pouring the eggs into the broth.

Add a pinch of white pepper, and a couple drops of sesame oil.

Enjoy.

this soup now costs $9 to make

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽

HashtagGirlboss posted:

One big mistake I made when I started to try to get into home cooking was to try to recreate restaurant meals at home when I really just needed to focus on learning to cut vegetables evenly so they cook evenly and not to crowd pans/trays and to use a loving meat thermometer instead of trying to feel for doneness

Also salt/pepper/spices is just something you’ve got to gently caress up a few times before you get a feel for where you like it

Yeah getting good with a knife takes a lot of practice and consistency.
I love cooking but I love basic poo poo, and try to focus on recipes that it's hard to gently caress up with timing and super specific balances of ingredients. I'll find a nice recipe and dumb it down a ton.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Certainly there's a middle ground for McDonald's. Make your burger at home and then dunk it in a hfcs au jus like a filthy animal when you need a hit of sweetness.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
There's a cooking thread in CSPAM for people with all levels of experience if you want to talk about what you're cooking, share pictures or ask for advice.

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽
Pho using fresh noodles in the packet and the broth paste and whatever veg/meat is about the cheapest most filling meal. I'd say less than 3 bucks a person easily. Also it takes 0 effort. Boil water dollop of paste, pour over noodles. Lived on this poo poo for years.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
there's the CSPAM cooking thread to ask questions too or to just post delicious food you've made

edit: beaten :argh:

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽
I'll stop posting derails in the pictures thread, but any chance to evangelize about cooking I will take. It's not a good idea to insist that people do it, or to judge people for making different choices, that said, it's a really fun hobby and brings you so much closer to, and will make you more mindful of what you eat.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

tokin opposition posted:

Mastering the basics, like "a pot of rice" or "bunch of pasta" and similar, is the best place to start, and any cooking learning program is going to start with you mastering those so you can get to the point where you can reliably put some high quality base materials in front of you to work with, which is the point where you can start having some real fun with it. Everything before then is just a good mix of frustration, happiness, and mostly laser focusing on how much money you're saving to keep morale high.

Join us in the cooking thread! I'll also link it in solidarity with posters who got sniped o7 https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3875354

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

The Demilich posted:

Imagine eating in a restaurant in the plague era lol

They were called taverns and you also went there to get drunk because it was either that or go home to your wife/husband and six thousand children (half of whom would be dead of plague by morning) and idk stare at the moon talking about how great the Wire was gonna be one day when TVs exist or something.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

Nice quote from 1998, grandpa

a big mac and a coke is like $12 and it comes with french fries.

if you buy a loaf of bread, good cheese, and sliced roast beef you will get more food than the big mac meal but it's gonna be like $30 at this point.

albini is forever!

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

As a general rule the best way you can immediately stop spending so much at the grocery is "stop buying meat"

It's not gonna work in all scenarios and in the rest it's likely to involve a bit of a battle if you're cooking for others or just really like it yourself, but that's the biggest fattest target for that goal

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
Why cook when you can claim one of the numerous mental disorders de jour and use that as an excuse for why you can't boil water?

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽

poemdexter posted:

Why cook when you can claim one of the numerous mental disorders de jour and use that as an excuse for why you can't boil water?

I don't think that's fair, different things in life make it harder to cook and we should all have enough empathy to recognize that, but it's also a really rewarding (in many ways) thing to train yourself to do so deflecting the advice to cook with the limitations in your life can kinda concrete those limitations.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

poemdexter posted:

Specifically the kind of mental disorder that makes it impossible to place a pan on a stove but still allows buying fast food and enjoying electronic entertainment

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

You'll run into that kind of person on Twitter but please don't assume that's where someone you meet in a trusted space or in real life is coming from there. It's far, far more likely at this point that someone around our age genuinely was just never exposed to it as a kid or young adult and doesn't even know where to start, and people should be encouraged to pursue it and not assume there's any kind of stigma or gatekeeping.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

my wife found this video helpful as she learns to cook https://youtube.com/watch?v=Y9mDLhJ_Dao

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
home burger is no good because food i make tastes bad and food other people make tastes good

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Mentally well enough to drive a 3 ton machine 3 miles with no issues to a window of fast food sadness, but can't turn on the microwave/oven because it's far too difficult.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I only have so many spoons and they're all in mcflurries at the moment

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The Demilich posted:

Mentally well enough to drive a 3 ton machine 3 miles with no issues to a window of fast food sadness, but can't turn on the microwave/oven because it's far too difficult.

How did the groceries get to my house op

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!

The Demilich posted:

the average American is much more used to driving. I mean this seriously. if you’re highly accustomed to driving and it doesn’t make you feel bad or challenge you with something you’re not sure how to proceed, it can be easier to achieve a goal doing something you know how to do. in short, gently caress off

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Brain Curry posted:

my wife found this video helpful as she learns to cook https://youtube.com/watch?v=Y9mDLhJ_Dao

This looks helpful thank you

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

The Demilich posted:

that's silly, i don't drive, i'm just deeply depressed eating my boring garbage

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose
Cooking is culture, and capitalism likes to destroy culture and give you manufactured replacements

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
just get an instant pot and cook everything in that

don't use the saute function EVER though

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

just get an instant pot and cook everything in that

don't use the saute function EVER though

:wrong: how else you do the onions first ?

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

mawarannahr posted:

:wrong: how else you do the onions first ?

in a really nice nonstick pan on the stove

enjoy your burn message

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

in a really nice nonstick pan on the stove

enjoy your burn message

gtfo with your toxic pans. works completely fine and les cleanup to do on sauté. it won’t stick unless you’re doing it wrong (too high or not stirring)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

mawarannahr posted:

gtfo with your toxic pans. works completely fine and les cleanup to do on sauté. it won’t stick unless you’re doing it wrong (too high or not stirring)

in theory sure in practice no, not at all