Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkfhea1dX38

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

What are the T-rex's making their tools with lady

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol

Ratios and Tendency posted:

What are the T-rex's making their tools with lady

Other tools, which were gifted to them by the greys

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
parrots can open screwtop bottles with their tongues

t rex works the same way

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

T rex's tiny arms were totally little winglets, I'd bet anything

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Human-style hands are an evolutionary dead end that keep us obsessed with our mastery over the material world and less open to reaching any kind of enlightenment. We're too proud to admit this

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

endocriminologist posted:

If u got a article on this I'd be super happy and grateful forever

Integrated records of environmental change and evolution challenge the Cambrian Explosion posted:

The evolutionary events documented during the Ediacaran–Cambrian interval coincide with geochemical evidence for the modernisation of Earth’s biogeochemical cycles. Holistic integration of fossil and geochemical records leads us to challenge the notion that the Ediacaran and Cambrian worlds were markedly distinct
We conclude that while the Cambrian Explosion represents a radiation of crown-group bilaterians, it was simply one phase amongst several metazoan radiations, some older and some younger.
is the one that jumped to hand, but i'm p sure there's others that have come out

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Mola Yam posted:

parrots can open screwtop bottles with their tongues

t rex works the same way

:emptyquote:

Inspector Hound posted:

IIRC there's evidence that Trex had maybe downy fuzz or not that much going on, but there were polar bears back then too. Nanuqsaurus was stomping all across ice sheets and poo poo like that, and p much had to have some kind of feathers or at least kiwi down or something.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Silurian hypothesis confirmed, birds are birds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cUgdfXlBK0

This one is quite controversial as you might expect. We'll see what the paleoneurology community has to say about it in the future

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

is the one that jumped to hand, but i'm p sure there's others that have come out

yeah I think there was a recent paper from a Chinese group on this topic as well, likely late 2022

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The Demilich posted:

We've created a hell on earth for all other life.
I can't even express the existential weight of it all.

Yeap

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

As time goes on there's increasing evidence that animals are much smarter than was previously thought
and everything in the past was far more sophisticated than the old era dudes expected.

Anecdotal data typically isn't great, but this is something that has been anecdotally evident for a very long time, and I'm glad research is catching up. Unfortunately, it won't move people to change their behavior because we live in hell.

The Demilich posted:

I've said before I that I try to silo my feelings off for other institutional problems, like poverty or the lack of healthcare, for my own sanity, because it's all outside my control. But anything concerning the environment and animals breaks me. I take so much comfort in animals, to the point that lately if I'm away from my cats for more than a day or so, I feel depressed.

Nichael has issued a correction as of 18:12 on Jan 10, 2023

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

literally the plot to DOOM 3

Pooky
Aug 29, 2004

I post fox news so u don't have to 💋
https://twitter.com/UAPTheory/status/1612858183747358721
https://twitter.com/UAPTheory/status/1612858976382718047

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

The ediacaran is so cool, animals then were basically aliens since the planet was so different from what it is now

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

stealing material from Ra now. shameful

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

I hate that moron so much

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The Demilich posted:

I hate that moron so much

I hope you mean UAPTheory because Ra is Love

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

when u nut but the Infinite still suckin 😩

Chicken Butt
Oct 27, 2010

Inspector Hound posted:

T-Rex’s tiny arms were an evolutionary advantage, because they made it impossible to masturbate

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

that A70 story is pretty wild, thanks for sharing!

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Bilirubin posted:

I hope you mean UAPTheory because Ra is Love

I do mean UAP Theory

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

Sleekly posted:

the vast majority of trouble is directly aimed at us anyways once we are out the planet and ecosystem will be ok

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Chicken Butt posted:

T-Rex’s tiny arms were an evolutionary advantage, because they made it impossible to masturbate

T-Rex's tiny arms weren't (proportionally) tiny when it was a juvenile. As they grew they occupied different ecological niches and the arms were likely pretty useful when they were young and needed them to grab stuff like smaller theropods did. Then when they got 'uge in adulthood everything became about the jaws and the arms just stopped growing.

This also likely means that trex jacked it a lot more when it was younger which fits with modern intelligent species

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gqtc1AenRXA

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

The Demilich posted:

that's why i leave peanuts out for the local blue jays. karmic balance completely restored

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

Sleekly posted:

the vast majority of trouble is directly aimed at us anyways once we are out the planet and ecosystem will be ok

please visit the biosphere collapse and ask how many species will survive the 10 C jump and anoxic ocean collapse.

They need a good lmao every now and then.

(the ecosystem will not be okay lol)

Rickshaw
Apr 11, 2004

just a coconut going for a stroll

Hello thread I bring you riches beyond compare

a working link to Jaimungal's 8 hour UFOathon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8D3jo3Zw93c

A contemporaneous accounting of the 2000 Illinois black triangle sighting that is in my mind the best UFO case after the tic-tac:
http://web.archive.org/web/20121017130513/http://www.riverfronttimes.com/2000-04-05/news/space-case/

quote:

All the witnesses saw the object at different distances and different angles. Barton had one of the closest views -- by his reckoning, it was some 200 feet away and about 1,000-1,500 feet in the air. Barton's proximity helps discount the theory that the craft was an airplane. "I was a military brat 21 years -- my father was active-duty Air Force -- so I'm familiar with both foreign and domestic aircraft," he says. "It got to where I could usually identify an aircraft just by the engine noise, and when this thing went over, it made zero noise. I mean, that's what really caught my attention -- no noise whatsoever."

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Rickshaw posted:

Hello thread I bring you riches beyond compare

Ive been watching this while I play Valheim and my main takeaway so far is that Brian Keating sucks rear end and that Knapp and Corbell should get the heck out of ufology forever

Rickshaw
Apr 11, 2004

just a coconut going for a stroll

I think there's something about appearing on a podcast video chat with a bunch of other dudes on webcams that just instantly removes all credibility and causes you come across as a total jackass

typhus
Apr 7, 2004

Fun Shoe

Rickshaw posted:

I think there's something about appearing on a podcast video chat with a bunch of other dudes on webcams that just instantly removes all credibility and causes you come across as a total jackass

They should do these in VRchat

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Rickshaw posted:

8+ hours JFC.

Love the topic but this is the hardest of hard passes.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Armadillo Tank posted:

please visit the biosphere collapse and ask how many species will survive the 10 C jump and anoxic ocean collapse.

I mean it will in the very very long run

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Armadillo Tank posted:

lol no thank you, I have enough to worry about as is

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

TRIP REPORT - KETAMINE #3

Therapy is hard and requires work. I suppose that's true for Ketamine therapy as well. As I mentioned previously, my provider talked about the importance of music during treatment, and how certain music will elicit different responses. As she was prepping me this time, she talked about how the initial sessions were meant to "break the concrete loose" and allow me to process emotion and memory without my amygdala holding me back. Going forward, I might start to experience some painful stuff, and more vivid dreams; I need to be prepared to accept and process those as they come on. I said sure, and down I went.

The trip itself was different than the prior ones. Slow to get going, I was worried for a moment that I had already developed a tolerance. Music felt a bit less interesting than the prior sessions, but still ok. Colors were meaningfully more vivid and varied, though. Previously, I've had a few brief bursts of vivid yellows and blues, but most colors are muted. This session had at least a few minutes of bright color, and incorporated reds and whites as well. Though everything was jumbled as though looking through a 3-d kaleidoscope, I saw people working together on or around a pole of some sort? I also saw football players, which was odd but whatever, I chalked it up to liking football in general. Like the last session, I found myself "resetting" back to a room that resembles my bedroom a few times.

After I came back up, the provider was very interested in what I saw and experienced. She explained that this music was supposed to be more "tribal and confrontational", and was intended to trigger more painful thoughts and memories that I should work on for the next few days until our next session. I thanked her for the heads up and went home.

And son of a bitch, I had some of the most vivid and awkward dreams I've ever experienced, where each of my shortcomings and character flaws were put under a microscope. The details of the dreams myself aren't important; what is important is I woke up gasping, blanketed by the most intense feelings of guilt and sadness I've ever experienced. I actually had to lay in bed for several minutes, repeating it was just a dream, over and over. It was the most unnerving thing.

Ever since then, I've felt strangely calm and reflective.

typhus
Apr 7, 2004

Fun Shoe

Bob Socko posted:

TRIP REPORT - KETAMINE #3

:hellyeah: sounds like you're scratching at the door. The dreams don't sound pleasant, but that you're knocking stuff loose is a good sign. What's your cognition been like inside? Are you finding that you can keep a handle on your thoughts or do you drift?

It's super interesting to me that you're visualizing people on session 3. Eight sessions deep and topping out at 1.1mg/kg, and I've seen some wild poo poo, but I've never seen anything that I interpreted as animated, let alone human. From what I've read I'm in the minority in that way

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

typhus posted:

:hellyeah: sounds like you're scratching at the door. The dreams don't sound pleasant, but that you're knocking stuff loose is a good sign. What's your cognition been like inside? Are you finding that you can keep a handle on your thoughts or do you drift?

It's super interesting to me that you're visualizing people on session 3. Eight sessions deep and topping out at 1.1mg/kg, and I've seen some wild poo poo, but I've never seen anything that I interpreted as animated, let alone human. From what I've read I'm in the minority in that way

My thoughts are great, actually! Before treatment, I was the sort of person whose mind was always racing. Even if I had a perfectly nice, normal day, I'd replay the day constantly instead of going to sleep, or fixate on something next day that I thought would be bad. Now, I feel much more present and calm, living in the now. It's nice.

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

Slavvy posted:

I mean it will in the very very long run

life as we know it on earth uses water as a solvent on the surface

generally it can't support it for long if its always above 45 C (unlike deserts)

There will be survivors in the ocean but i don't know enough if those are "permanent" changes or just set you back 1 billion years BC changes.

(again the ocean might rebound and then lead to a surface rebound, it could also become a mild, like covid, venus)

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Armadillo Tank posted:

(again the ocean might rebound and then lead to a surface rebound, it could also become a mild, like covid, venus)

died WITH global warming, not OF

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Bob Socko posted:

My thoughts are great, actually! Before treatment, I was the sort of person whose mind was always racing. Even if I had a perfectly nice, normal day, I'd replay the day constantly instead of going to sleep, or fixate on something next day that I thought would be bad. Now, I feel much more present and calm, living in the now. It's nice.

wow if this shuts up the racing anxiety might be something to look into