Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

15 years ago Joe Horn executed two unarmed burglars as they left his neighbor's house despite the 911 operator's repeated pleas to stay indoors and let the cops handle it. He faced zero legal repercussions and I have the feeling this guy is going to as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

pro starcraft loser posted:

Nah, it's still valid and a good shoot... until he domes the guy he disarmed himself.

Wonder what you charge in this case.

The exact terminology varies from state to state, but it seems like 2nd degree murder or some form of manslaughter would be the likeliest charge.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

You are a lunatic.

Yeah, I know, Texas, right?

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

https://i.imgur.com/h6unpIB.mp4

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Dick Jones posted:

15 years ago Joe Horn executed two unarmed burglars as they left his neighbor's house despite the 911 operator's repeated pleas to stay indoors and let the cops handle it. He faced zero legal repercussions and I have the feeling this guy is going to as well.

Joe Horn the NFL receiver?

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Finally some good news in this thread.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Texas says it is fine and dandy to perform vigilante homicide. We refer to this as Frank Castle Doctrine.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

That can't be true, Texas only has White Castle Doctrines.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
The White is implied I think

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

deep dish peat moss posted:

That can't be true, Texas only has White Castle Doctrines.

White Castle Doctrine is just the law that says you have to cook your burgers on top of a pile of diced onion.

Don't get me wrong, that poo poo is delicious.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Let's say the autopsy shows that it wasn't the headshot but one of the first four fired that killed him, which for the sake of argument everyone agrees were justified. What's the laws take on that?

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

i dont see how do you draw the line between 4 shots, 8 shots, and 9 shots... That mfer is worm food either way

its extremely easy, because shots 1-4 were fired rapidly into the back of a guy standing upright, which probably might qualify as self defense somehow,

then 4 more were fired, after a pause in which the shooter closed distance, into a guy own on the floor, which is most probably not self defense,

and shot 9 was fired point blank into the skull of an unconscious guy which is definitly not defense of any kind.

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat
the guy ran because his social media is probably full of boomer memes talking about shooting liberals and black people. no way was that guy not doing loud, violent racisms about Obama on his facebook from when he got elected up to at least last week

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

thin blue whine posted:

the guy ran because his social media is probably full of boomer memes talking about shooting liberals and black people. no way was that guy not doing loud, violent racisms about Obama on his facebook from when he got elected up to at least last week

what the gently caress are you talking about

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Did you watch the video?

I think the shooter and the person he's sitting are both Central American.

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

Mister Speaker posted:

what the gently caress are you talking about

i dunno what the gently caress am i talking about

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

https://abcnews-go-com.cdn.ampproje...iew=1&cap=swipe

:patriot:

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

I don't know poo poo about gun laws but I've heard the following two things from a few different gun nuts:

1) gun is a lethal weapon, you use it to kill. Shooting someone in the leg to stop them will hurt you legally bc it indicates that you knew you didnt need to kill them, therefore gun use wasn't justified

2) emptying your magazine is proper form, you gotta make sure they're good n dead or they might kill you when you let your guard down

wouldn't surprise me if this was all bullshit, but I never really thought critically about it

I've heard similar stuff, the variation I heard on #1 is you shoot to kill so they can't survive to sue, yeah. Basically, you want to murder to other party because anything less means they can survive to tell the tale, which a judge/jury might realize is not actually self-defense after all.

It's hosed up and it's basically 'wipe anyone who you feel threatens you even a lil' bit off the earth, don't leave survivors'

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

I know someone who pulled a gun and shot someone in the leg when threatened with a knife.

The shooter went to prison for a couple years and even paid reparations to the guy he shot (for threatening his life).

America's gun and violence laws are strange.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

StrangersInTheNight posted:

I've heard similar stuff, the variation I heard on #1 is you shoot to kill so they can't survive to sue, yeah. Basically, you want to murder to other party because anything less means they can survive to tell the tale, which a judge/jury might realize is not actually self-defense after all.

It's hosed up and it's basically 'wipe anyone who you feel threatens you even a lil' bit off the earth, don't leave survivors'

the whole point of #1 is supposed to be "don't pull a gun" not "so murder people," that's a Dave Grossman police training thing that's just leaked into fascist gun fanatics

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

satanic splash-back posted:

I know someone who pulled a gun and shot someone in the leg when threatened with a knife.

The shooter went to prison for a couple years and even paid reparations to the guy he shot (for threatening his life).

America's gun and violence laws are strange.

Yup. Dead people can’t sue. :patriot:

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
The first and second amendments need to go imho.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Mister Speaker posted:

Yeah for real. Whenever I read victim statements from the family of police shooting victims, it strikes me as odd how reserved they tend to be; makes me wonder if there is some implicit threatening going on behind the scenes. Critics of police do tend to die in strange circumstances and unsolved cases.
Related, Uvalde cops have been harassing victim's families, including that mom who ran into the school when cops were too chickenshit to do it themselves.

https://globalnews.ca/news/8957137/uvalde-school-shooting-police-harassment/

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Let's say the autopsy shows that it wasn't the headshot but one of the first four fired that killed him, which for the sake of argument everyone agrees were justified. What's the laws take on that?
i can see both sides
1: i don't blame the guy for not wanting to interact with the police. you should never interact with the police unless it is absolutely required and if you can avoid it do so. never talk with the police
2: i think in this situation it would be important for the police to talk to this guy. find out who he is and why he shot the guy. odds are high that it was just a random "i get to kill" type guy. but there's a chance, however small, that the kill was personal.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

Dick Jones posted:

they also threw him a huge celebration in his town. Real hosed up. This country sucks so much.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

InsertPotPun posted:

i can see both sides
1: i don't blame the guy for not wanting to interact with the police. you should never interact with the police unless it is absolutely required and if you can avoid it do so. never talk with the police
2: i think in this situation it would be important for the police to talk to this guy. find out who he is and why he shot the guy. odds are high that it was just a random "i get to kill" type guy. but there's a chance, however small, that the kill was personal.

I think you misread the question. I'm saying is it still murder if it were one of the justified shots that killed him even though we agree that the other half were fired with homicidal intent because you can't attempt to murder a corpse?

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

I think you misread the question. I'm saying is it still murder if it were one of the justified shots that killed him even though we agree that the other half were fired with homicidal intent because you can't attempt to murder a corpse?

Like is it illegal to beat a dead horse?

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

cat botherer posted:

Related, Uvalde cops have been harassing victim's families, including that mom who ran into the school when cops were too chickenshit to do it themselves.

That's from June. I heard about it around then too. Although I'm sure they haven't given up yet!

Also, you guys are going to get absolutely nowhere speculating the vast differences in gun laws between the states and who gets prosecuted for what.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jan 10, 2023

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

I guess it depends? Hard to say in this case which shot hit where and was the fatal shot, after all, probably other than that last one.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Pennywise the Frown posted:

That's from June. I heard about it around then too. Although I'm sure they haven't given up yet!

Also, you guys are going to get absolutely nowhere speculating the vast differences in gun laws between the states and who gets prosecuted for what.

Pretty much. Even beyond variations in the law between states, ultimately it falls to the jury to make a decision.

Assuming it even gets that far, I mean.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Murdstone posted:

I guess it depends? Hard to say in this case which shot hit where and was the fatal shot, after all, probably other than that last one.

This is bizarre. How can a coroner even determine the order in which the bullets entered? Unless you're shooting a body that's been dead long enough for the blood to settle, how is that possible? I remember thinking a similar question after the Sammy Yatim shooting, which I mentioned upthread as an odd case where it was determined that (IIRC) the first volley of shots killed him but the second got the pig an 'attempted murder' charge. Is it just poring over zoomed-in body camera footage for hours and guessing where each shot went? How is that at all reliable?

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

yeah i went off on my own tangent, you're asking a variation of "a man jumps off a building and, halfway down, is fatally shot" and the only real answer is a shrug and a "i guess it depends" with more info needed, sorry.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Yes. At the very least it is a meditated, attempted murder, but generally people do not die instantly from bullet wounds like in the movies so that situation is highly improbable.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

cat botherer posted:

I shouldn't read this thread. loving pigs.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
I just heard a short police siren followed by a hail of gunfire from my bedroom window and thought of you guys. How hosed up is that?

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

CNN posted:

Exclusive: Uvalde school police chief told investigators why he didn’t try to stop gunman: ‘There’s probably going to be some deceased in there, but we don’t need any more from out here’
Uvalde school police chief Pedro “Pete” Arredondo told investigators he was more concerned about saving students in other classrooms than trying to stop a gunman who had already shot children and teachers.

An interview with investigators the day after the May 2022 massacre at Robb Elementary shows Arredondo talking bluntly about his recollection of events. CNN obtained a video recording of the previously unreported interview, where some of Arredondo’s answers conflict with his limited public statements.

It was the only meeting about his role that he had with the Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS). He stopped cooperating with the DPS inquiry after its director labeled him as incident commander and blamed him for decisions that left dead, dying and traumatized children with a gunman for over an hour while officers waited in the hallway outside.

The critical moment in his decision making, Arredondo said, was when he saw children in other classrooms.

“Once I realized that was going on, my first thought is that we need to vacate. We have him contained – and I know this is horrible and I know it’s [what] our training tells us to do but – we have him contained, there’s probably going to be some deceased in there, but we don’t need any more from out here,” Arredondo said.

His decision to treat the gunman as a barricaded subject and not confront him effectively left all the students and teachers in Classrooms 111 and 112 for dead. It was one of many times he did not follow the training and protocol for an active shooter.

Arredondo stuck with that choice for over an hour, even when he thought he heard the gunman reloading and after it was confirmed children were trapped – injured and alive as well as dead – with the shooter.

CNN tried to reach Arredondo for this story. His attorney George Hyde said he was not authorized to respond to media requests. “I have informed him of your request and it will be up to him from there,” Hyde wrote in an email.

Arredondo has not contacted CNN. A previous phone number for him has been disconnected.

[snip]

In his only extensive public comments since then, he told The Texas Tribune: “I didn’t issue any orders … I called for assistance and asked for an extraction tool to open the door.”

Arredondo’s interview with investigators less than 24 hours after the tragedy and footage from surveillance and body cameras show he gave plenty of direction.

He described getting officers into a “pyramid” formation, all on the same side of the hallway, to avoid crossfire if the gunman came out of the door.

And when he tried the handle of the door to another classroom and found it unlocked with students and a teacher inside, he made the critical decision to save others first.

“We’re going to clear out this building before we do any breach,” Arredondo told officers in the hallway at about 12:08 p.m., as heard on body camera footage. “As soon as they clear this room, I’m going to verify what’s been vacated, guys, before we do any kind of breaching.”

He went on: “Time’s on our side right now. I know we probably have kids in there, but we’ve got to save the lives of the other ones.”

Again, active shooter training for law enforcement states the opposite. Since the 1999 Columbine school shooting when local police waited outside for SWAT teams, the emphasis has been on speed – for any officer to go at once to the sound of gunfire and stop the shooter.

[snip]

In the interview, the investigators were respectful and understanding to Arredondo, who was loquacious and sometimes jovial in return, saying how he was planning to rib a colleague who had not managed to run past him in the initial approach to the classrooms.

“We’re going to get scrutinized, I’m expecting that. We’re getting scrutinized for why we didn’t go in there,” Arredondo said, before giving his reasoning again.

Nameless Pete posted:

I just heard a short police siren followed by a hail of gunfire from my bedroom window and thought of you guys. How hosed up is that?

Stop shooting at cops from your bedroom window. :colbert:

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Ehhhh, it can kinda be self-defense (in a preemptive sense) if the other person survives and tells their friends or family that you shot them, in which case you (or in this case the restaurant) could become a target for retaliation later.

Granted there's a chance of this happening if they die, too, but in that case it's a bit less likely since the person can't relay your name/physical description or the location of the shooting to someone else. Although a witness still could. Or a security camera.

EDIT: Like in food service, the retaliation thing comes up from time to time because when a store or employee gets robbed, they're more likely to become a target for future robberies or retaliatory attacks. This is why it's standard practice in pizza delivery to fire a delivery driver on the spot if they ever get robbed.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jan 11, 2023

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

I. M. Gei posted:

Ehhhh, it can kinda be self-defense (in a preemptive sense) if the other person survives and tells their friends or family that you shot them, in which case you (or in this case the restaurant) could become a target for retaliation later.

Granted there's a chance of this happening if they die, too, but in that case it's a bit less likely since the person can't relay your name/physical description or the location of the shooting to someone else. Although a witness still could. Or a security camera.

EDIT: Like in food service, the retaliation thing comes up from time to time because when a store or employee gets robbed, they're more likely to become a target for future robberies or retaliatory attacks. This is why it's standard practice in pizza delivery to fire a delivery driver on the spot if they ever get robbed.

I don't even know how to begin to process any of this.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

Time_pants posted:

I don't even know how to begin to process any of this.

Yeah this is a real head scratcher. Maybe just don't sell pizzas to taht number anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

I. M. Gei posted:

This is why it's standard practice in pizza delivery to fire a delivery driver on the spot if they ever get robbed.

I don't believe that's true, and in some countries/states it's highly illegal to do that.