Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Have to show the back cover of that "cowboy" album above. This could be my jam, I dunno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

hexwren posted:

realized last night I'm probably going to run out of room for records a lot sooner than i thought i would.

:same:, I've come real drat close to filling up my Kallax(es), so anything that I don't listen to often goes into a record crate until we get more space (hopefully buying our own place within the next ~3 years or so!)....then I will have an entire wall of records, not just a couple 4x4 shelves. :colbert:

petit choux posted:

Have to show the back cover of that "cowboy" album above. This could be my jam, I dunno.

Slap a wig and a t-shirt on "Sgt. Dudley" and that's just a photo of me. :doh:

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Read After Burning posted:

:same:, I've come real drat close to filling up my Kallax(es), so anything that I don't listen to often goes into a record crate until we get more space (hopefully buying our own place within the next ~3 years or so!)....then I will have an entire wall of records, not just a couple 4x4 shelves. :colbert:

Slap a wig and a t-shirt on "Sgt. Dudley" and that's just a photo of me. :doh:

I'm "Side Meat."

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Found this for less than $40 :rock: I'm generally pretty "woke" but I turn that poo poo off for some good horrorcore.:allears: Geto Boys and AotP are my two favorites, the former in particular.

And something completely different (speaking of Orange Blossom Special!)

Excuse any hay, we own a rabbit. :love:

Read After Burning fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jan 10, 2023

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse

The video is on YouTube, it's just unlisted at the moment. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgao0WD5g48

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Creature posted:

The video is on YouTube, it's just unlisted at the moment. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgao0WD5g48

:monocle: clever girl

Edit: Amazon Japan listing is up and no bonus tracks, so you can spare your wallet unless you really love obi strips. They truly used everything they had left, which honestly is refreshing. This is the first album since The Life Pursuit to not have bonus tracks in Japan.

As a consolation, please enjoy Google's translation of the album description.

quote:

Description
The latest album "Late Developers" following the 10th album "A Bit of Previous" released in 2021 by Glasgow treasures Belle and Sebastian, who continue to attract neo-acoustic and indie fans around the world with their stable popularity. Surprise release!
The lead single, "I Don't Know What You See In Me," co-written with young songwriter Pete Ferguson, is set to become one of Stevie Jackson's greatest songs of all time. The breathtaking psychedelic pop "So In The Moment", "When The Cynics Stare Back From The Wall", a song that existed the night before the band was formed, was completed over 30 years with Camera Obscura's Tracy Ann Campbell, Includes all 11 Berceba-like songs that give you peace of mind and surprises, such as "When We Were Very Young", which explodes with the band's love for Smith.

Edit: Evidently that tracklisting was incorrect, and there is in fact a bonus track for Japan. I had the wrong link. This is the correct link. God drat it :angel:

pwn fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Jan 10, 2023

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Secret Basking Sharks side hustle?

pwn
May 27, 2004

:eyepop:

Gonna need to see photos when that all comes in.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Neutral Milk Hotel is reissuing their box set.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

My adventures in vinyl continue as more records I've ordered trickle in.

No idea why the limited edition gold was cheaper than the standard black but I am a sucker for colored vinyl so it worked out

My best friend bought me this one :3:

Hell yeah Emperor! Waiting on my copy of In the Nightside Eclipse to arrive still

My three favorite S&G albums

A maxi-single my friend ordered for me because he thought it was the full album lol

And finally

The Target Exclusive edition with a Silver vinyl because as previously stated, I'm a sucker for colored vinyl.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
My turntable is a Technics SL-BD22 that I got from my dad after he passed away. He bought it new in 1991 - I still have the receipt. It serves its purpose, but uses a P-mount cartridge that limits me on what I can upgrade it with.

I have always wanted a nice vintage turntable but they're expensive and I haven't exactly needed one. I have always kind of wanted a backup turntable though, in case this breaks or something.

I have been at my company for ten years, and I got to pick an item out of a catalog as my reward (yaaay). There was everything from placemats to tools, and I waffled a bit but ultimately bought the one turntable they had - an Insignia NS-BTST21. It has an adjustable counterbalance and a moving magnet type cartridge. I don't think I would use the bluetooth capability (doesn't it defeat the purpose of vinyl?). I will probably put this one in my bedroom with some small speakers or something.

Is it an upgrade or a downgrade compared to my Technics turntable?

joylessdivision posted:

Hell yeah Emperor! Waiting on my copy of In the Nightside Eclipse to arrive still

I got In The Nightside Eclipse for Christmas (heh). The mastering was weird - I had to really turn it up compared to other albums, and it still sounded relatively flat, which honestly may be the source material - but it's still awesome. I'm curious how yours sounds.

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jan 10, 2023

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

joylessdivision posted:

My adventures in vinyl continue as more records I've ordered trickle in.

No idea why the limited edition gold was cheaper than the standard black but I am a sucker for colored vinyl so it worked out

My best friend bought me this one :3:

My three favorite S&G albums

A maxi-single my friend ordered for me because he thought it was the full album lol

And finally

The Target Exclusive edition with a Silver vinyl because as previously stated, I'm a sucker for colored vinyl.

Is that a new scary monsters or used? It’s in nice shape if it’s used.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

CornHolio posted:

Is it an upgrade or a downgrade compared to my Technics turntable?

downgrade. if you want a new one the Technics clones that AT makes (the LP120 etc) are good turntables.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

BigFactory posted:

Is that a new scary monsters or used? It’s in nice shape if it’s used.

It's new from Amazon. The S&G's are used from ebay and all three look to be in fantastic condition other than the covers having some wear on them.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
I was gonna go ahead and preorder the new M83 album but it costs thirty six dollars so instead I’m not. This hobby has ceased to be fun

pwn
May 27, 2004

Bismack Billabongo posted:

I was gonna go ahead and preorder the new M83 album but it costs thirty six dollars so instead I’m not. This hobby has ceased to be fun

Yeah that's where I landed a while ago. I gave up past year, and I guess I "only" bought a dozen or so albums. Which is certainly A Definition of "giving up".

And that was a year ago. Look at this post from May.

pwn posted:

Standard LP, available everywhere forever, will never go out of print. Roughly $25 shipped from wherever (including most of the links to be posted further down) Belles keeping it real pre-covid with an LP for $20, solid.

Sadly, inflation caught up and their companion album now costs $30 plus $6 shipping. Still, by the standards all around us, $30 is decent. Alas, at the end of 2021, $30 was the new $20; now $40 is the new $20.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i think the most I've paid for an LP is $50 though it being classical that's probably about $8000 after the genre conversion

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
The new Lana del Rey was $45 after tax and shipping for a single lp. I guess if it’s any consolation, I got the version that sold out first so I can look at discogs and think I got a bargain.

pwn
May 27, 2004

On the plus side, here's a happy story. I got a record for $22.78 shipped tonight.

You know Marnie Stern? You know that she played with Seth Meyers's house band on Late Night for 8 years? Ok now you're up to speed. She disappeared from the band last year. Same thing happened to drummer Kim Thompson back in 2014 or 15. Sucks that they never say, "so-and-so is leaving", they just go out for cigarettes one day and never come back. Going through my recordings of the show, her last night was March 17 2022.

Occasionally through the last year I would try to find info on her, though she rarely posts on Twitter, which makes her a very smart and happy person. Last night I was trawling Twitter and saw some very happy young person who had snagged a repress of her 2007 album on Record Store Day in November.

https://twitter.com/garfiebabey/status/1596603873510187008

Here it is, not annoyingly mirrored.

I wanted that album and I had already figured it would be too expensive so I went-a-hoppin to discogs for the original CD but lo, that RSD repress is selling for Normal Goddamned Prices, there's a few more in that price range if you too are interested.

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib

pwn posted:

Edit: Evidently that tracklisting was incorrect, and there is in fact a bonus track for Japan. I had the wrong link. This is the correct link. God drat it :angel:

Funnily enough, The National fans recognized some of the songs from that track list as new songs they had played during their last tour. Then the fan club started sending out (weird) pictures that seem to have quotes from Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein and the date 1/13/2023, so now there’s hype that there’s a new National album either being announced on Friday or completely dropping, since the track list is apparently in Amazon’s database.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Feels Villeneuve posted:

downgrade. if you want a new one the Technics clones that AT makes (the LP120 etc) are good turntables.

What about it makes it a downgrade?

Genuinely curious. It was free to me (other than the opportunity cost of passing on other stuff I didn't really want) and it's already coming, just want to know what to look for when I do end up replacing my main turntable. If I go modern I'll probably get a Fluance or a Rega but if I'm spending that kind of money I think I'd rather get a vintage Pioneer or something similar.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

CornHolio posted:

What about it makes it a downgrade?

Genuinely curious. It was free to me (other than the opportunity cost of passing on other stuff I didn't really want) and it's already coming, just want to know what to look for when I do end up replacing my main turntable. If I go modern I'll probably get a Fluance or a Rega but if I'm spending that kind of money I think I'd rather get a vintage Pioneer or something similar.

I wouldn't immediately say it's a downgrade, but if your old one doesn't have any age-related issues, it's likely made with higher quality components overall. Here's the biggest differences:

Technics has p-mount, and as a result, no adjustable counterweight or anti-skate. While it's nice to be able to use standard carts, the Insignia probably isn't the turntable you want to use if you feel like upgrading to a $100+ cart anyway. I've never actually owned a P-mount but I believe there are still decent replacements available out there, even if your options are more limited.

Technics has a strobe and easily adjustable speed while the Insignia doesn't. HOWEVER, apparently the Insignia has an internal optical sensor and supposedly maintains its own speed, which is a pretty nice feature.

They both have auto-stop, though the Technics will auto-return. Not a huge deal - at least the insignia stops on its own which is something many other modern tables don't do for some reason.

The sound difference between them will come down the the cartridges you're using.

That Insignia looks like pretty comparable to an AT-LP60 but looks nicer and is cheaper. I doubt it will be bad. I would just try them both out and see which one sounds better. Since the Insignia has a built-in preamp, you can hook them both up to your receiver at once and switch between sources for comparison.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

pwn posted:

Yeah that's where I landed a while ago. I gave up past year, and I guess I "only" bought a dozen or so albums. Which is certainly A Definition of "giving up".

And that was a year ago. Look at this post from May.

Sadly, inflation caught up and their companion album now costs $30 plus $6 shipping. Still, by the standards all around us, $30 is decent. Alas, at the end of 2021, $30 was the new $20; now $40 is the new $20.

I just don’t have the money for it. I’m not going to get rid of what I have but with the way these prices are going up it’s not justifiable to spend that kind of cash on something that i might not even like. Buying expensive sneakers may cost more but at least the market on those is starting to depress a little bit.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
there are some pretty nice p-mount options too, i think the Grado Prestiges come with a P-Mount option if your store can order one

https://gradolabs.com/cartridges/prestige-series-2/item/76-black2-green2

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
since this is a "show off your consumption" thread usually the stuff i get is under $10, this ($50) is the most i've spent on a single record

it's a mint condition Mercury classical record, which is one of the few kinds of classical record that actually go for decent money in good condition.

the others are stuff like old RCA stereo albums, and some old EMI/Columbia albums if you're in the UK

also some avant-garde stuff goes for decent money because it's rare and of interest to some electronic music collectors, and i think there are far more electronic music collectors than classical

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
My two that I spent the most on are both former RSD exclusives lol. What a stupid event that has turned out to be

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

After checking my eBay purchases, looks like the most I've spent on a single record was $60 for a fancy copy of the Hellraiser 3 score because I was super high and thought it was Hellraiser 2. Don't get high and buy records kids

I almost paid close to $100 with shipping for an album until I waited a couple days and a US seller had it. Now they just need to ship the god drat thing. I want my Reichman album god drat it!

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

pwn posted:

You know Marnie Stern? You know that she played with Seth Meyers's house band on Late Night for 8 years? Ok now you're up to speed. She disappeared from the band last year. Same thing happened to drummer Kim Thompson back in 2014 or 15. Sucks that they never say, "so-and-so is leaving", they just go out for cigarettes one day and never come back. Going through my recordings of the show, her last night was March 17 2022.

Wait - do you actually record Late Night? Or do you just have a data horde or recordings of it? Either way - do you ever actually go back and rewatch old episodes?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Now I need to know that too

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

pwn is the resident archivist in the TVIV late night thread.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I bet I haven’t watched a late night talk show since the 90s.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I used to watch Craig Ferguson

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Which current late night host is the most likely to have an insane audiophile setup and a bunch of hot stampers? And why is it Seth meyers

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I’d go with Conan. He recorded at Third Man.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Just wanted to share this awesome list I just discovered.

https://www.discogs.com/lists/Cover-Locations/285237

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I'd go with Fallon because he has that wannabe mucisian thing going on.

Anyways holy poo poo bitching on the internet really does work, cause The Temples are back baby with a new album after like three years!!!!

Here's the single they've put out: https://youtu.be/Z0PrB0mvOGU and of course I've preordered it like a dumb dumb. Not suprised at all that they're on the same label as King Gizz is/was. First record purchase in several months, too.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I used to watch Craig Ferguson

And late night has been a waste of time since.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Boinks posted:

Just wanted to share this awesome list I just discovered.

https://www.discogs.com/lists/Cover-Locations/285237

I need a Google map with all of them plotted so I can browse by location.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

IUG posted:

I’d go with Conan. He recorded at Third Man.

Sorry, he said current.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Is Conan off the air again? I stopped following him years ago, and never watched any other late night shows.

You know what, I can just Google this, no reason to derail.