Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Antonymous posted:

after playing Yakuza 0 I read about yakuza 1 and there's an interview where the director said they were having trouble getting away from stereotypical plots and so they let a new hire, non writer propose a plot and he said "an orphan girl is the key to a multi billion dollar mystery" and they were so pumped by that they let him write the whole thing. that got me pumped as well.

and drat the writing sucks. yak 1 after yak 0 is an ice bath

i dont recall poo poo about the main story to Yakuza 1, but I will never forget how hard the pocket racer sidequests hit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

2 great moments from the larry king/joanna newsom interview

https://twitter.com/legendofchelda/status/1355659964380024833

https://twitter.com/TheAikau/status/1352988038243250176

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

grate deceiver posted:

In K1 Kiryu does domestic violence against a 6? year old Haruka and beats up not one but two transwomen if I remember correctly.
how can it be domestic violence when he hasn't adopted her yet? please think through your posts

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

you can ask her that about most of her lyrics

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

grate deceiver posted:

In K1 Kiryu does domestic violence against a 6? year old Haruka and beats up not one but two transwomen if I remember correctly.

Tbf after doing Haruka's requests the domestic violence is totally justified. 950 on Otometal My Life? That's a paddlin'.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

to keep music chat going, this was just announced

i hope it means frank's got some new music coming out soon

e: whoa and jai paul

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

legit thought that said "despacito all weekend long"

Serf
May 5, 2011

this is just an eric andre sketch

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

surprised Knocked Loose is the coachella hardcore pick this year and not Turnstile. people in flower headdresses getting kicked in the face to that "ARF ARF" bit from that one Knocked Loose song would be pretty funny though.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

loquacius posted:

well what else could it mean

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

is being the tiny names at the bottom of the coachella poster embarrassing for people

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
I'd be embarrassed to be at coachella

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

https://twitter.com/billianaoutsold/status/1267399124212686848

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Zokari posted:

is being the tiny names at the bottom of the coachella poster embarrassing for people

No

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I play the Yakuza games at a rate of one per 1-2 years so I'd have to go back and see if there were any instances of sympathetic characters having some sinophobic or xenophobic moments, but it sounds like the games after 3 have a better handle on things in any case. It could be like some of the transphobic stuff in the older games - a blind spot that they improved on down the line. I know for the 3 remaster they cut a transphobic substory and rewrote some dialog about a trans character to bring it up-to-date. The series is usually good about stuff like that, but my partner is half-Chinese so some of that stuff has stood out to them a bit more as we've worked our way through the series.

In Y2 there's a senior detective on your side who's initially presented as this pretty racist cop who would prefer to shoot koreans suspects dead rather than take them in (who took part in the big raid against the Korean mafia in the backstory) and I think you're definitely supposed to feel a little weirded out by him. Then you get the full story about what happened and I think it turned out that he married the widow of one of the Korean guys and helped another fake his death or something but pretended like he shot him dead to keep up the lie and anyway he's your girlfriend's dad

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
Yeah I barely remember Y2 but it's an incredibly convoluted series of events that eventually reveals he didn't actually shoot them, just pretended to, because he was a secret Korean also or trying to hide some kid from getting murdered or loving something.

Yakuza main storyline plots are totally dumb soap opera nonsense but that's okay cause the funny goofy poo poo (ie the good parts of the writing) needs time to breathe and wouldn't work without the dead-serious backdrop of yakuza infighting / esoteric real estate kickback schemes

E: wait this is the pop culture thread? Lol whatever I guess video games count too

damn horror queefs has issued a correction as of 22:28 on Jan 10, 2023

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
it's the closest i'll get to finding people to talk about juzo itami movies with let me have it

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

loquacius posted:

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
gazpacho all weekend long

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Blood Boils posted:

Wtf Miami vice and Blackhat are great
nah

I’ll grant miamis biggest issue was Jamie fox sucks rear end but it also had enough directorial lot issues that I was really really disappointed. especially after how good collateral/heat/etc are

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Zvahl posted:

it's the closest i'll get to finding people to talk about juzo itami movies with let me have it

I wanted to say I liked Lady Snowblood, but apparently he didn't direct that one, only the second? Welp, that's all I got

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

starting on watching all the Coens in order by watching Blood Simple last night. It definitely feels like a precursor to their later work, it doesn't have quite the same sense of humor the other stuff has but the general feeling is pretty similar and there's some beats very reminiscent of Fargo in particular. But it's also a very well-constructed thriller with some extremely memorable scenes and a very tight script, definite recommend

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Michael Mann overrated

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Zvahl posted:

if you wanted to deal with inherent racism in the yakuza series from an outside perspective it'd probably be easier to just look at gary buster holmes than trying to analyze the internecine racisms that don't exist in america because of location

Lol I completely forgot about this character.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Michael Mann overrated

wrong bitch he rules

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Michael Mann overrated

A new contender for worst opinions in the pop culture thread

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
Michael Mann Chat: Watched The Keep a few weeks ago. Liked the first third but felt it went soggy after that. Tangerine Dream did the score and in the climactic finale they played an ambient version of "Walking In the Air" from The Snowman, which I'd recommend over it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5A3THighARU&t=902s

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Watching Frasier

drat, might as well just call sitcoms whitecoms

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Knight posted:

Michael Mann Chat: Watched The Keep a few weeks ago. Liked the first third but felt it went soggy after that. Tangerine Dream did the score and in the climactic finale they played an ambient version of "Walking In the Air" from The Snowman, which I'd recommend over it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5A3THighARU&t=902s

Afaik Mann disowned this movie because the studio interfered heavily with it and cut it down a lot, which is why it's so disjointed and several characters get little or no development. Also there's the clean Wermacht bullshit which sucks, but it at least looks really pretty except for some of the cheesy optical effects at the end.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Eason the Fifth posted:

Watching Frasier

80s and 90s sitcoms weren't exclusively white but they were SUPER segregated. There were white shows and black shows

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

gotta give a special shoutout to 1983's Play Dead for "least convincing murder dog in a motion picture" - this is Greta, she's gods perfect idiot and at no point could i take her seriously as a threat

DoombatINC has issued a correction as of 01:11 on Jan 11, 2023

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Eason the Fifth posted:

Watching Frasier

this would never happen on Black Frasier.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

loquacius posted:

80s and 90s sitcoms weren't exclusively white but they were SUPER segregated. There were white shows and black shows

and anybody with any sense watched the black shows because the white shows were not just white, they were aggressively whitebread

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
if we didn't watch both how would we learn about the dangers of caffiene pills from jesse spano or the cautionary tale of urkel getting drunk

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

watching raw and feeling very seen by the wow i really hate college vibe only other movie i can think of to take this approach is monsters university which ive always thought was underrated for that same reason

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
all college movies can be replaced by watching either PCU or the Rules of Attraction depending on how bitter you're feeling

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

avclub comments are weird

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Nichael posted:

you bust one union and the rest of libertarianism starts creepin' in

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Nichael posted:

another great case of people projecting backstory thats barely even in a marvel movie at all to such a ridiculous extreme that its practically the only thing they remember because the rest of it is so forgettable and they have to rationalize their love of the franchise somehow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

DoombatINC posted:

gotta give a special shoutout to 1983's Play Dead for "least convincing murder dog in a motion picture" - this is Greta, she's gods perfect idiot and at no point could i take her seriously as a threat

lol