Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Ruggan posted:

[*] Rules lawyered me with a terrible logic argument about why he thinks he's "technically correct" about something, ending his argument with "Explaining this is tiresome and quite useless. I rest my case."
[/list]

What's his forums username

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Ok so I wanna post more about this because it's literally the craziest exchange I've had with another dev... ever?

Basically the background is that we have some class which we'll call BaseClass, and this class had one implementation which we'll call ImplClass. The guy's job was to fork this implementation and make a new implementation that did some things differently.

Now, ImplClass had a comment above its declaration, which uselessly stated "This is the only production implementation of BaseClass". It's particularly useless because the tools at my job make it really easy to find implementations and references of classes in the codebase - seeing it's the only implementation of a base class is a click or two away. Anyway, when he forked ImplClass to make ImplClass2, he did a malformed find-and-replace and left the comment saying "This is the only production implementation of ImplClass2", so I left a little comment along the lines of "Hey, I think this comment is referencing the wrong class, but this comment is somewhat useless so maybe just remove it?".

In response, the guy changes the comment to read This is the only production implementation of BaseClass - i.e. he reverts it to its original state. But hey, hold on, this isn't true anymore, because his new class is a second implementation of BaseClass that will eventually make its way to production (if all goes as planned). So I reopen the comment and say "this isn't accurate anymore because [reasons] but again, you can just remove the comment because I don't think it's contributing much".

This time, the guy changes the comment to read This is NOT the only production implementation of BaseClass. So I reach out to him directly, to say that I think he's missing the intent of my review comment, and that he can just remove it and we're good, it's really not a big deal. But he can't just erase the drat comment and move on, he needs to justify his dumb change to add the word "NOT" in allcaps to the comment. So instead, we proceed to have this stupid as gently caress conversation over chat:

quote:

Him: That comment is in a lot of places. You said it wasn't helpful. Its opposite idea can't not be helpful by logic. "A is not helpful, not A, therefore is helpful". I didn't create the idea of adding that comment. That seemed too subjective to me. And one can't argue with logic.

Me: I think you're mincing words a bit here. I would be happy to accept a justification as to why that comment is valuable to a reader, but I don't think it is. Yes, this is a subjective assessment, but our jobs do involve making subjective assessments and so asking you to make a comment valuable or remove it is fair, in my opinion.

Him: Let me show you how logic is never wrong. Imagine the comment is not there. Then the reader doesn't know if that class is the only implementation or not. When people add "This is the only implementation", the reader has a piece of information: "this is the only!". When I added "this is not the only" the reader knows "there is at least one more implementation of this class somewhere". The comment "This is NOT the only" has its value, that's undeniable. Now if you want to compare the values of "This is the only" with "This is NOT the only", that's a different matter. How much more helpful is it knowing that it's the only versus it's NOT the only? I don't think I'm mincing words.

*minutes long pause, because I'm preoccupied with real life*

Him: Arguing about this is very stressful and tiresome, and quite useless. Imagine trying to reason about subjective matter. I rest my case.

I wish I was making this up. Just delete the drat comment or literally write one sentence to me saying "I think this is helpful, actually" dude I don't care about your logic argument.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

prom candy posted:

What's his forums username

Alternatively, buy him an account.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
"I'll show YOU a valuable comment: 'You're acting like an rear end in a top hat!'!"

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Sorry, OP. Your boss hired Ben Shapiro.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Sorry OP, you got DESTROYED by FACTS and LOGIC.

How did he make it past interview?

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Ask him what his karma is on r/atheism.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I don't suppose you tried to get him to remove the original useless comment too and thereby resolve the logical fallacy?

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Ruggan posted:

You said it wasn't helpful. Its opposite idea can't not be helpful by logic. "A is not helpful, not A, therefore is helpful".

this is terrible logic

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
he'd be awesome at destroying rogue star trek computers though

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I mean I hope he isn't past his probationary period yet. Just get him kicked the gently caress out.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Next PR removes all the existing comments.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Tell him A is "him being bad at communication", therefore

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

quote:

Him: Arguing about this is very stressful and tiresome, and quite useless. Imagine trying to reason about subjective matter. I rest my case.

Lmfao then stop arguing and just do it.

My developer life has been so much simpler and less stressful since adopting the strategy of "accept every pr comment possible". You want the code upside down with a comment between every line? Sure, clearly I'm not going to win an argument against it here, have it your way and I'm moving on.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Carbon dioxide posted:

I mean I hope he isn't past his probationary period yet. Just get him kicked the gently caress out.

Yeah honestly op just take this exchange to whoever is in charge of firing dumb motherfuckers and let them do their thing.

edit: or quit

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

It’s classic for people to not want to make the change you request because they are lazy, and then spend more time arguing about it then it would take to just do it.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

prom candy posted:

Yeah honestly op just take this exchange to whoever is in charge of firing dumb motherfuckers and let them do their thing.

This. This guy has missed the fundamental point that software development is a collaborative exercise. He's insisting on being right when he should be trying to understand the perspective of somebody who hasn't read the ticket he picked up and is only seeing the code (e.g. himself, 6 months from now).

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
He sounds a bit like Elon Musk when he tried to write code at PayPal or whatever.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Ruggan posted:

I wish I was making this up. Just delete the drat comment or literally write one sentence to me saying "I think this is helpful, actually" dude I don't care about your logic argument.

Wow, they're a real life 10x devloper

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
This isn't much different than experiences I've had with code reviews in my organizations with a bunch of electrical engineers who did something they thought was novel and now think they're software kings. I've had a lot of butthurt in those code reviews. Somebody else here kind of gave up and just required code to pass multiple automated gates because these people were more amenable to a beep beep boop computer check than somebody saying that they're crazy if-if-else-if-else-if-else-else-if-else pile should be done recursively in a tenth of the size and actually work correctly.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
Either a concentrated example of big fish, little pond finally entering the ocean with the rest of us.

... That or he's on the spectrum.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
Dying on the worlds smallest hill, possibly sacrificing employment. This is “Confederacy of Dunces 2: Electric Code Review.”

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Carbon dioxide posted:

This really. You can teach someome to code and to code to your standards. You can't teach them not to be an rear end in a top hat.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Carbon dioxide posted:

Indeed. Even if they’re a talented developer, if they can’t work in a team, there’s no point in keeping them.

One of my highest criteria for keeping a new hire is seeing if they play well with others.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Yeah dude needs a come to jesus talk with his manager about how to operate in a professional environment.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
More like a go to hell talk 🤣🤣🤣

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
At this point I'd be like, "Okay, we've had the discussion, thank you for your input but my opinion is unchanged. I understand your point of view and I know that you disagree with me. However, I have seniority and I am formally overruling you. Please remove the comment, as I've requested." This changes the situation from a perhaps debatable, subjective, abstract inability to understand logical reasoning, or what good comments look like, to a refusal to follow instructions, which is a much more clear-cut indicator of something going wrong.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Whatever happens OP please keep us posted, this is great content

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

ChickenWing posted:

Yeah dude needs a come to jesus talk with his manager about how to operate in a professional environment.

I have some fear that either:
1. The manager is hoping somebody else will do it.
2. Doesn't believe in any of it themselves.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

1. The manager is hoping somebody else will do it.

A manager with no teeth is the worst manager :(

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Lmfao then stop arguing and just do it.

My developer life has been so much simpler and less stressful since adopting the strategy of "accept every pr comment possible". You want the code upside down with a comment between every line? Sure, clearly I'm not going to win an argument against it here, have it your way and I'm moving on.

Unironically this. Sure, it might make the codebase inconsistent and dependent on who reviews what PRs, but that’s a problem with the team as a whole - not your own. Takes the blame off of you.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
I've been in this story, it never gets better. My favorite part is when they say they don't realize how unpleasant they're being, but they're very sensitive about people giving any kind of correction to them.

If you want/need to make this work:
- Don't use text when there will be a back and forth, talk to them
- Realize it will be more efficient for you to suggest the exact change you want to see
- Avoid style discussions

On the bright side, we've all learned that if it is rude to tell someone to go eat poo poo, it is polite to tell them to NOT eat poo poo. Logic!

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I am proud that my thread title has stood the test of time, but

quote:

Working in Development: Let me show you how logic is never wrong

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
I'm in an alumni Slack org for an old job, and someone else who is now a software engineering director asked this absolute banger of a question:

quote:

How do your companies measure (if they do) engineering throughput or productivity? The best I can come up with is number of PRs (measured through a tool called Code Climate Velocity). Any other ideas?
I was so tempted to post the Dilbert comic, but instead I just linked Goodhart's Law. She was not too interested in that.

(This is the same director who, a few months ago, asked if anyone had experience with a baffling thing she was running into: She wanted her engineers to be on-call outside of normal business hours, and they wanted more money in exchange. Has anyone ever heard of anything like that??? It's so weird!!)

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
Never inner source for another team. Ever.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

One weird trick that project owners love to make their schedule work out.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Love Stole the Day posted:

Never inner source for another team. Ever.

What's this? An opportunity to have multiple bosses?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

For us, it’s when another team doesn’t have the capacity to pick up the work you need them to do, so you do it for them. Or when you fix bugs that impact you directly, rather than waiting for it to be prioritized by them.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

My current team expects everyone under the same umbrella organization to pull their weight on everything software, network engineering, graph modeling, device curation, and infrastructure/deployment as needed. We tend to be the catchall bucket for any work to unblock the org’s current pet project, so I know way more and call way more shots than I should.

If poo poo ever breaks, you know who to blame 😋

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

smackfu posted:

For us, it’s when another team doesn’t have the capacity to pick up the work you need them to do, so you do it for them. Or when you fix bugs that impact you directly, rather than waiting for it to be prioritized by them.
This is really fine, and companies that enable this kind of work well have a superpower at their disposal, but it's something that engineering directors in both organizations need to be made aware of when it doesn't resemble the routine work of the team making the change. And they need to, you know, actually track it and do something about it.