Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Everybody googled that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

withak posted:

Everybody googled that.

yeah, I had to google that one too

how dare they put the blueprint generation scan object right by the problem

they never do that

argh

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Complications posted:

yeah, I had to google that one too

how dare they put the blueprint generation scan object right by the problem

they never do that

argh

I know you're being sarcastic about this, but it really was shocking that it was right there. So many games, Subnautica included, involve going all over hell's creation to find this or that. It's genuinely surprising when you explicitly don't have to do that.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I didn't google that, I had already scanned the fluid thing before evening noticing that the bridge was out.

I point and laugh at everyone who comes into this thread looking for it.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
The best part about the bridge is you don't even have to fix it. Cheesing past it in the prawn is very easy.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Rynoto posted:

The best part about the bridge is you don't even have to fix it. Cheesing past it in the prawn is very easy.

It gets even easier with the Prawn.

Once you cross the bridge, jump up a small cliff on the right and just follow it around until the last area where you scan.
Missing about 75% of that entire area.

Ouroboros
Apr 23, 2011
So I finished Subnautica and started Below Zero, and I had lowered my expectations based on reports in this thread but I have to say I'm enjoying it more than the original so far. A lot of people mentioned it lacked the same sense of wonder and spooky atmosphere from the original but I'm finding that actually plays in its advantage for me, as I said before when starting out I found that I kinda had to force myself to keep going but now I'm into it, lost my initial fear of exporation and understand how the mechanics work a bit better a lot of the friction is gone which is nice. Also visually it is so much more impressive, and I appreciate the seemingly greater focus on story; I'm not really a huge fan of the survival game core loop and enjoyed more of a directed experience (which I actually appreciated about the original, how it wasn't as open ended as other games in the genre and had some set goals). Of course the story might turn out to be a dud, I've only just started really; but then there wasn't really much to latch onto in the first game anyway and it was able to hold my interest. I'm also loving the music. I heard the new sound guy did the music for FTL and I'm a huge fan of that game's music, and I can definitely tell, it seems to just fit much better for me as well.

I haven't run into any obvious bugs yet so hopefully that holds; my Subnautica playthrough was littered with technical issues from the irritating to the game-breaking which was really testing my patience by the end. Luckily one of the last ones was that my food and water meters somehow stopped degrading entirely towards the end of the game, so it felt like it cancelled out the leviathans clipping halfway through the indoor area in the endgame a little bit lol. Anyway it could of course all go tits up, but tentative thumbs up from me so far!

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

It’s a good game, even with as much grief as we give it. The biggest problems come down to the following.

The world is much smaller and not as deep/grand. You can put a starter base in the twisty bridges and that’s really all you’ll need.

The overland sections are wasted opportunities and boring. The snowfox should’ve been the fun highlight of the game but is a poorly coded mess that explodes way too easily.

The story starts off great but goes nowhere and just kind of ends. Apparently the writer left midway so this is somewhat explainable.

The best part of the game is Margueritte, she’s awesome as hell. :black101:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Ben Prunty is a fantastic musician, I love his work in FTL and Into the Breach, and Simon Chilinsky is a complete dick that got himself fired for his dickishness, but all that being said, the OG soundtrack plays in my head regularly (and the main theme, to me, is perfect) whereas the one from BZ I don't remember at all.

I'll have to replay BZ to fix that, I realize. I've played the first one a few times, and also at least my initial playthrough of OG took a bit longer than BZ (I took my time with BZ), so I realize that my experience kind of stacks the deck against the sequel's OST.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Cartoon Man posted:

The best part of the game is Margueritte, she’s awesome as hell. :black101:

Dude, they just started.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
You spend a lot of time in the first game just swimming/sailing from point A to B, when you have replayed it a few times, it really becomes a bit of a chore.
I appreciate Below Zero’s smaller map.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Well today was eventful and frustrating. I walked my Prawn over to the Engines of the Aurora, got it snatched by a Reaper and lost it. I was fine, oddly enough I was immediately ejected without a scratch. The best part of the walk over was punching sharks to death. Anyway I all I found were bridge parts! Which was not cool. Unable to get my Prawn I reloaded. I have no idea where it got taken to, it was well beneath the ground and I couldn't find any cave entrances in the area.

At this point, having had zero luck for my last bit, I looked it up. The map in this game is huge. Just like enormous and half the time I don't know where I am despite people having named things. Which is fine. I didn't look for a map, so the geography of the game is still a general mystery for me, so all I had to work with were the names of possible biomes for what I needed. Well, out of three places it turned out to be the final one. No shame whatsoever because I'm very pleased with my new Sub!

There's some odds and ends I need to collect (especially to upgrade vehicles) but I can only assume I need to go through the green area which will be my next major goal. I feel like I must be close to the end of the game but maybe not. I haven't had a radio call in ages or any other sign of life, so clearly I haven't progressed in a while.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I didn't look for a map, so the geography of the game is still a general mystery for me, so all I had to work with were the names of possible biomes for what I needed. progressed in a while.

You haven’t missed anything, there isn’t a map in the base game. That seems to add to the experience your first time through, nobody has been there and dude is initially just trying to survive a literal unknown world ( :dadjoke: ). Also, make a pile of beacons! They’re meant to be used :)

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

They should've let beacons stack a little bit. Maybe just up to 5 or so.

But yeah, don't be afraid to drop beacons on every point of note, or even a couple along paths in the caves. You can always toggle them in your PDA if it gets too crowded.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jan 6, 2023

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Wow so a lot of things happened. Having found a way to modify vehicles I went mad with power and upgraded my Seamoth to full depth exploration and took it, not anything else down to the green area. Well I found what I thought I'd find but I did not expect all the skeletons! Got a lot more info on the alien projects and advanced my infection but with no solutions in sight I'm feeling back at square one. I explored the area more and found some real volcanic stuff at 1000m down after an incredibly safe area that's begging for a base built, but I don't feel like it. I probably will eventually. Anyway the moth can't handle those depths and I get the feeling that at the moment neither the cyclops or prawn can either but it's possible that's where I got to go. I still haven't found any of the rare metals needed to get those up to scratch. I do think I'm going to head down that way. Anyway, I left it a bit quickly and was informed of more fossils, but didn't have a beacon on me at the time, so I'll have to retrace my steps after some near misses with some leviathans.

Game still has tons of wonder and mystery for what it's worth, though I'm feeling a bit impatient about having things come to a close.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Some metals can be tricky. As a general rule the metals you need to get to depth x are generally available at slightly shallower depths. Some can be hard to find - poke around every new area for things for sure.

Ouroboros
Apr 23, 2011
I've not tried any of the Seatruck modules yet but it's already an absolute triumph in my book as a Seamoth replacement, as it successfully solves my one gripe with that vehicle - the ability to smash it into anything and everything without destroying the hull. Any thoughts on which modules are worth building?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I think i did 1 fabricator, 3 storage, and an aquarium? With a Prawn dock at the end. Or maybe I topped out at 5 and skipped the aquarium, it’s been a while.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Fab's ocasionally useful for mission stuff, but the biggest use I found was actually when I went on resource hunting trips, I could use it to smush things into titantium ingots or quartz into glass, and compress what I gathered. Sleeper I think I used once, honestly that one should've been built into the cabin. Storage and Prawn mod are of course the main uses, even if Storage is ridiculously low capacity and the way they split it up into small boxes is very stupid and annoying. Aquarium's pretty useless. It might've meant something if you couldn't just throw fish inside boxes and they stay alive forever. Teleport tool consumes ion cubes so screw ever using that. It might have been useful as a last-ditch emergency return when about to die when spelunking after you've collected a decent number of cubes, but the tether tool takes up 2x2 so no way I'm wasting my backpack space on it just for emergencies.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jan 9, 2023

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

The recycler needs to be backported to the original game. It's so good.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I mostly just kept the prawnsuit on the back and left the seatruck small and maneuverable. I made all the modules, I just didn't use them. I think towards the end I kept a sleeper car on, but the main reason for that was there's an exploit you can use with the nightmare leviathans where after you get out of the driver's seat, they cease to pay attention to your existence like how leviathans tend not to attack bases even if they'll attack you. That way you can just step out of the driver's seat when a leviathan gets too close and wait for it to pass. I guess I also found it handy for exploration to sleep out a night, since the ocean is so much easier to deal with during the day.

I'm sure the weirdoes who loved the Cyclops did a lot more.

MikeJF posted:

Teleport tool consumes ion cubes so screw ever using that. It might have been useful as a last-ditch emergency return when about to die when spelunking after you've collected a decent number of cubes, but the tether tool takes up 2x2 so no way I'm wasting my backpack space on it just for emergencies.

Below Zero also happens to be fairly generous about ion cubes though, so I assume you could get a decent amount of use out of them if you can get over the agonizing about using up resources.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Sleeper module is critical for the mobile jukebox. No one should be stuck seatrucking in silence.

Prawn dock and storage are also very useful, fabricator was mostly useful late in both sides of the story when you end up needing to fabricate some one-off things while likely far from a base.

Teleporter I built but never used, probably would have been more useful earlier in the game when I was getting lost in caves and/or wrecks a lot but by the time I got it the need just wasn't there. Maybe it's useful for a glitchless speedrun?

Aquarium I never even built, but I play on Freedom mode so for the most part I don't need to think about any animals that aren't attacking me.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jan 9, 2023

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

wolrah posted:

Sleeper module is critical for the mobile jukebox. No one should be stuck seatrucking in silence.

Prawn dock and storage are also very useful, fabricator was mostly useful late in both sides of the story when you end up needing to fabricate some one-off things while likely far from a base.

Teleporter I built but never used, probably would have been more useful earlier in the game when I was getting lost in caves and/or wrecks a lot but by the time I got it the need just wasn't there. Maybe it's useful for a glitchless speedrun?

Aquarium I never even built, but I play on Freedom mode so for the most part I don't need to think about any animals that aren't attacking me.
I only ever went around with one storage and prawn holder because I hated losing maneuverability. Making a giant undersea freight train was massively unappealing, and it was always a chore to exit and decouple and get back in. Making it seamless to uncoulple, a button you could hit from the cabin, would have made that better.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I would've liked the seatruck better if it had accordion joints between the modules and I could be a snaky guy

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Below Zero has some pretty great music discs, so you want to be able to listen to those while you're in the truck.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Have you considered that the aquarium module sucks dudes in as you drive by, allowing you to inadvertently depopulate the pengiun colonies? Rather essential tool imo.

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!
This is moreso a response to posts a few pages ago but I have got to be the only person on earth who didn't really have any issues with bugs in Subnautica. Like... At all.

Glitchiest thing I remember happening were the poison guys in the crash zone always clipping through my base, that's about it :shrug:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I didn't either. I don't know what the "pop in" people are always complaining about even means. Only issue I remember was having fish swimming around inside my base sometimes.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

I didn't either. I don't know what the "pop in" people are always complaining about even means. Only issue I remember was having fish swimming around inside my base sometimes.

?????

Pop-in has been a very common complaint about lots of different games for a very long time now. I don’t even know how to explain it without sounding like a patronizing prick.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Well, congrats on never falling through the bottom of your cyclops, I guess.

Also, I played on Switch, where the late pop-in was brutal. And yet the game still kicked rear end

Endless Trash posted:

?????

Pop-in has been a very common complaint about lots of different games for a very long time now. I don’t even know how to explain it without sounding like a patronizing prick.

I'll risk sounding that way; pop-in is when, usually in a 3D game, assets and level geometry only appear relatively close to the player, so you won't see anything from far away, and then all of a sudden, oh hey, it's some red flora that wasn't there a second ago. It's the game engine trying to be economical with its allotted processing power, so it holds off displaying elements of a game that are far away.

In Subnautica's case, that threshold of 'far away' is relatively close, closer than a lot of other games.

Edit: vvvv LOD distance is another thing, yeah. Imagine one of those sand spirals in Subnautica from far away; it'll be a much, much more primitive shape, but as you approach, the game engine will quickly load in the intended geometry and detail (higher res textures, more polygons to make a more detailed shape).

Again, the distance from the player in ol' Subnauts is quite close. BZ is a bit better with it. It might be way better with it, I'd have to replay to see it.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jan 9, 2023

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Endless Trash posted:

?????

I think it has something to do with texture draw distance? I have never noticed it as a problem, but I've also been gaming since games had draw distances of like ten feet. There are some Cities: Skylines assets where the LOD is done wrong and they disappear when you zoom out too much, that's the only thing I can think of. People post stories here of their Seamoth suddenly appearing inside of a mountain or something and I've never had anything like that happen.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

I think it has something to do with texture draw distance? I have never noticed it as a problem, but I've also been gaming since games had draw distances of like ten feet. There are some Cities: Skylines assets where the LOD is done wrong and they disappear when you zoom out too much, that's the only thing I can think of. People post stories here of their Seamoth suddenly appearing inside of a mountain or something and I've never had anything like that happen.

Yeah it’s usually a texture issue but Subnautica is special in that you can travel quickly enough that not only do the textures pop-in late, the solidity of the world also lags behind.

So for example the first time I tried to find the PCF my prawn walked through walls that hadn’t yet had a chance to become solid (or visible) and I was terminally stuck forever and had to reload

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I think the giant mushroom forest is the best place to see the horror in action, you'll be looking at a few foreground mushrooms and a very emtpy seafloor behind it when all of a sudden the big mushroom spawns in, eclipsing the entire screen and posing an imminent collision threat.

If you're just crawling along the floor with the view angled downwards it's fine, but when having a large vista thanks to sunlight in the deep sea, large objects absolutely appear well within max viewrange.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Subnautica is a bit of a unique setting for rendering, because in theory you should be able to see very far distances that would put a lot of pressure on graphics processing, but also water tends to be much more opaque than air so it is actually plausible to do the old N64-era fog effects to hide pop-in. Also at night it genuinely gets hella dark, which a lot of games are shy about.

I don't really care about if I see something pop into view off in the distance, although the islands hidden by strategically placed clouds are kind of annoying tricks, so I didn't notice "pop-in" in that sense, but I did a few times scoot along too fast and wind up in an apparently barren sandy/rocky area that it turned out all the plants and animals and mushroom heads just hadn't been rendered yet and it took them a while to load. That might've also screwed with my internal compass and perception of the area a bit as well (and actually if Below Zero had more bugs like that, it might've made the world seem larger).

Subnautica was a really ambitious project for an indie developer to undertake, since a lot of its features are uncommon or unheard of things for videogames to have to represent, making a whole host of problems, and then also since the game doesn't have traditional gameplay loops like combat, the visuals themselves had to carry a lot of the game itself. Maybe when they build a new game from the ground up they can better address those issues.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

Also at night it genuinely gets hella dark, which a lot of games are shy about.

Just a heads up, there's an option to change how dark night gets. Yours might be set to whatever the maximum is. When it was set like that for me, I couldn't see poo poo (which makes sense, but REALLY sucks in the early game)

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I'd be happy if you could just take a nap in your escape pod

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

zeldadude posted:

This is moreso a response to posts a few pages ago but I have got to be the only person on earth who didn't really have any issues with bugs in Subnautica. Like... At all.

Glitchiest thing I remember happening were the poison guys in the crash zone always clipping through my base, that's about it :shrug:

I got off better than most, but I still lost a seamoth to the hungry mountain island (nom nom) and had the prawn get stuck inside a mushroom in a weird way.

Also, did you take the prawn in the containment facility? I can't imagine you wouldn't, so I don't know how you avoided needing to grapple just to move there.

I never had too much issue with popin though, only a little here and there. Does computer power or resolution make a difference? I played on a 3080, 4k res, it was always beautiful and clear. I bought it on switch just for BZ when the combo cartridge was on sale, and I found it so janky with terrible controls (how can you play SN without a mouse??) that I threw more money at UW to get a PC copy.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Pander posted:

I found it so janky with terrible controls (how can you play SN without a mouse??) that I threw more money at UW to get a PC copy.

You make do :shepface:

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I love how dark it gets when you're deep underwater in Subnautica, which is realistic. Chilling in the submarine with the lights dimmed, having a coffee, watching fish occasionally bump against the glass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Just a heads up, there's an option to change how dark night gets. Yours might be set to whatever the maximum is. When it was set like that for me, I couldn't see poo poo (which makes sense, but REALLY sucks in the early game)

In the early game, nighttime is the time for reading your databank.