Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN

Anne Whateley posted:

If you can swing it, I would get a fleegle beader and a Beadalon Spin-n-Bead Junior, which I still suspect is magic. Beading as you go is usually a better, much easier plan unless you want a specific effect from prestringing. The only downside is that the yarn has to fit through doubled. Bring your yarn with you to check it will fit through 8/0, which can be iffy. Make sure you choose a yarn that won't break from the added friction and weight of beads (on rav, search for beaded projects in that yarn)

also just prepare for the number of beads you're about to buy. There are so many colors and shapes and effects, and they're so cheap and small to store
Thanks, I found and ordered a feagle beader but no luck with a spin-n-bead, just a bunch of generic ones from China that will arrive in months. The videos of them is pretty cool, will definitely keep an eye out for one.

Midnight Sun posted:

Those are the Snøkrystall (Snowflake) mittens, from Sandnes Garn. The pattern is only available in Norwegian, I think, but if you're used to knitting mittens the chart should be easy to follow.
Should be fine if I can grab a chart and I’ll just substitute the outline from another Norwegian mitten pattern. Thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
This is the spin thing, in stock for $15
https://artbeads.com/jewelry-supplies/beadalon-spin-n-bead-jr-bead-loader/
https://www.amazon.com/Beadalon-Spin-n-Bead-JR-Bead-Loader/dp/B001GP46OO

Generic ones should also be fine! That's just the one I know of

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I've been working on socks like crazy, having finished a pair in a smidge under three weeks and with good progress on a new sock that I cast on last night.

These are in a yarn I got at a fibre event in the fall - the dyer is The Yarn Therapist on Etsy although she doesn't appear to have anything in this colourway in stock and the card it came with doesn't have a name. This is the first time I had yarn that came with a mini, so that was a fun learning experience.

I am currently working with this beautiful stuff:

This yarn is Refraction in the Peacock colourway by a fantastic local dyer I've known for some time. A lot of her stuff is a bit close to clown barf for my tastes (I prefer wider stripes of colour or a gradient) but it's lovely and soft and this yarn is gorgeous. This came from Stitch Noir.

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

That is really pretty sock yarn, both of them. :)

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006

Nothing against generic, I just want it a bit sooner than most stuff arrives from China and can’t find any stock in Australia. I’ll likely end up buying one but just not going to arrive in time for this project.

barclayed
Apr 15, 2022

"I just saved your ass... with MONOPOLY!"
hello! i notice it has been very slow here and i've never posted so i thought i'd leave one of my recent projects (and by recent i mean may lol.) introducing the creeper sweater!

here's the imgur gallery: https://imgur.com/gallery/ANwoBAd and here is the finished product!

it is the flax pattern by tincanknits on ravelry (because of course) and was knit using hobby lobby soft and sleek for the black and i love this yarn for the green and purple. originally i wanted to do a variegaeted green so i could simulate the pixelated look of the creeper, but i couldn't find anything i liked.

unfortunately due to weight gain over the summer i no longer fit in it, so it's being regifted to my sister, who also happens to be a minecraft fan. however, it was really fun to work on! it was my first sweater. it took almost exactly a month and a half; i cast-on on march 1st and cast off on april 15th.

anyways! i learned a bunch of things through the process and hopefully my next sweater will be A) a little bigger and B) just as fun.

gonna post it on ravelry soon.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

It looks rad!

I've done a couple projects I've forgotten to post on here

A while back I made Brightfeather (eta: I modified the sleeves to have a bell shape with tight wrist cause I love that look, and changed the waist to a rib)

And right now I just finished Frog.

Before eyes

and after

I inserted some wire to make him poseable.

Currently I'm making him a big boyfriend.

felgs fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Dec 2, 2022

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
Beautiful sweaters both of you.

I’m in the middle of a huge sweater for my mother but it is at the stage of “never ending and I don’t want to keep working on it because it’s just taking forever”. So I keep making hats and wash clothes and pencil cases because I love projects that are done in a weekend.

My brother sent me this book for hats as a thanks recently. Completely unnecessary but the design of the book is neat, the pages are cut into three: brim, body, crown. All designed to be knit in 8 ply/DK so you can mix and match designs. There’s a couple of good ideas in there but I haven’t tried any yet.

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Lovely sweaters, and that frog is so cute! :)

I haven't been knitting much lately, the only project I've finished since July is this Miniskjerf (mini scarf).

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Extra socks! Not my work, my mom's

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I thought I might pick up knitting while sitting on my rear end in the evenings, but goddamn I seem to be poo poo at it.

• I have a hard time pushing the needle through the stitch properly... half the time I just shove it between threads of the yarn and have to back up & try again
  • Everything feels too "tight", like I feel as though I'm stretching this yarn all to hell just trying to get a stitch slid from one needle to the other

I'm sure a lot of this clears up with practice but I'm not even 100% sure I'm doing things right to begin with. Can anyone recommend instructions for an idiot? Googling just turns up a bunch of blogspam and very hard-to-follow gifs.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Are you pulling the yarn super tight after every action? That seems to be a pretty common beginner habit that's entirely counterproductive

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
^^ when I started I did this because all the knitwear I owned was very tightly knit (and came from a machine) so I’d try to keep it very tight on every stitch. The first time I hit a triple decrease in a pattern I struggled so much because my knitting was too tight.

You might just need to loosen up, knit your stitch and move to the next one, don’t give your yarn a little tug to cinch it tight - it’s not a knot.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Everyone sucks at first. Both the things you mention are pretty much universal beginner issues, along with mysteriously finding and losing stitches. You just get better with practice.

YouTube is your best bet imo, just to get a general idea of the flow and of what people's tension looks like. Don't forget you can always slow videos down, too.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I'll try and loosen up, I guess!

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie
Verypinkknits on YouTube gets mentioned a lot for being easy to follow, I personally found knittinghelp.com to be excellent. Also try to keep your stitches close to the tips of your needles so they don't have to stretch when you're passing them over.

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.
Probably the best things you can do for your knitting tension as a beginner:

1. Start with a slightly stickier yarn and slicker needles, rather than the other way around. Wool yarn on nickel-coated or glossy-wood needles is wonderful. You’ll get used to the way the yarn grabs itself instead of white-knuckling through the fear of dropping stitches.

2. Stop throwing. VeryPink has a fantastic intro to “flicking,” which is a right hand yarn hold that’s much better than hand-wrapping each stitch— faster and more rhythmic, and will keep you from strangling your yarn.

3. Embrace the flow of yarn. Each stitch needs to breathe and relax so that the whole row can even out and become Cloth instead of Yarn. Each stitch is a breath, so take one— especially now, when it’s slow and halting, you need to relax to find your rhythm and let your hands learn the dance.

4. Make dishcloths, not scarves, until you get the hang of it. Sugar N Cream on metal US 8s is the classic: machine washable, cheap as hell, and if you gently caress it up no harm done at all. Small projects that you can finish quickly are your lifeblood while you’re learning.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.
This is going to sound obvious, but try out new techniques with thick yarn on large needles. Easier to see and understand what is going on.

Make sure your shoulders and arms are relaxed.

If your knitting looks uneven, you can gently stretch the fabric in different directions to see if the yarn can be distributed more evenly across rows.

Also, you will want to learn how to pick up dropped stitches! Accidentally dropping a stitch and having to redo a couple of rows loving sucks, so this is a skill that will save you lots of time :) also allows for the extreme pro move that is deliberately dropping stitches to fix mistakes you've made on previous rows.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnTH56geOpo
e. you don't need a crochet hook for this, it just makes it easier

If you're knitting socks you have to start the second one IMMEDIATELY after finishing the first one or it's never going to get done.

MIDWIFE CRISIS fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jan 3, 2023

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
It might be that you just have a bad yarn, or one that's hard for beginners or your personal knitting style. One of my friends loathes working with cotton because it doesn't stretch to their liking. Wool or synthetic yarn may be more forgiving. There are different needle styles, too. Some of them are going to be pointier than others and more prone to splitting the fibers. It might be worthwhile to get a couple different types of yarn and needles to see which ones you like best, and don't be afraid to completely start over on a project if it's really not going well. Better to start fresh and waste a few hours than to try and power through something you absolutely can't stand working on.

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

What kind of yarn are you using? Cotton is not very stretchy, and I personally find it very hard to knit with. Try wool or another stretchy fiber instead.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I sat down last night and knitted with looseness in mind, and it came out much better. I figured out knit & purl stitches, did some k2tog, and finally cast off successfully. My work looks very loose but at least it's working. Thanks!

(I'm using wooden needles and I'm not sure what sort of yarn, label came off at some point)

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie
Loose is fine, as you get into the swing of it you'll find your tension evens out. Sounds like you did great, well done!

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Nthing that knitting too tight is absolutely normal when you're starting out.
Just keep going and find your own rhythm, it'll sort itself out. Stay away from fancy textured yarns, they are a pain in the rear end for splitting on the tip of the needle, and for messing with tension.

You've only just started and you can already do plain, purl and knit two together? I started knitting when I was about 10, and only worked out how to switch from plain to purl within a row after about 30 years. It took forever for me to realise that the yarn moves between the needles to switch from plain to purl, now I love knitting ribbed things, they are so cosy!

(In my defence, I am very left-handed, so most tutorials were inside-out to me and I just couldn't get it)

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Pookah posted:

You've only just started and you can already do plain, purl and knit two together? I started knitting when I was about 10, and only worked out how to switch from plain to purl within a row after about 30 years. It took forever for me to realise that the yarn moves between the needles to switch from plain to purl, now I love knitting ribbed things, they are so cosy!

(In my defence, I am very left-handed, so most tutorials were inside-out to me and I just couldn't get it)

No, I'm only doing knit or purl on any given row, not switching within a row. I should try that, though...

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Pham Nuwen posted:

No, I'm only doing knit or purl on any given row, not switching within a row. I should try that, though...

Give it a whirl! There are loads of good videos to demonstrate exactly how it works -it's absurdly simple, I don't know why I just couldn't get it at all.

Edit: Hats are a great small project that can be useful for practicing increases/decreases and all sorts of stitch combinations. I made a bunch of hats during the early 2020 covid lockdowns in Ireland, and while about half of them are terrible, they were all useful tools for learning,.

Pookah fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jan 9, 2023

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

I just looked up how to change between knit and purl in English style :psyduck:

continental 4 life

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
After seeing videos of knitters just ripping through row after row while knitting continental I tried to force myself to learn, mostly because I wanted to be that quick when doing ribbing because I make a lot of hats - lots of 1x1 and 2x2 ribbing, yarn forward, yarn back all the time.

It mostly went okay but slow while learning, however it just didn’t feel right to me and after a bit I just slid back to English style. At this stage I think I’m just too comfortable and can’t force myself to relearn.

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.
I love flicking english, it’s fast and easy to purl and switch even though it’s faster to knit continental. I don’t know what’s wrong with me but I CANNOT seem to get the hang of continental purling

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
I really need to pick up a different style of knitting because I picked up an RSI a while back and using different tendons would be a good thing, but I can't seem to do it. I learned English flicking after trying and failing to learn crochet a good 25 years ago. Anyone tried Portuguese style?

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I don't even know what style I knit. I hold the yarn in my left hand, but I throw it on. I can't stand flicking, let alone get good at it. Whatever, it works for me.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I can never fuckin remember which style is continental and which style is English and what Throwing is etc

I just know I used to hold the yarn in my right hand and move my arm to wrap the yarn around each time and it was slow as hell

But I was like 'well if I can feed in the yarn from my left hand for crochet it'll probably be a little trickier without a hook but I think I could learn' and now I hold the yarn in my left hand and catch it with my needle tip to bring it through the stitches
and I recommend learning to do that bc it is indeed way faster

Also I learned to mirror knit stitches so I can purl without flipping the work for stockinette stitch and it rules I hate flipping over a huge piece

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

I'm going to be knitting a lot of socks this year for a charity event, but it's so annoying to bring knitting projects on dpns when traveling. There are so many needles involved and the risk of one slipping loose in the bag is too high. Is there a smart way of storing dpn projects for travel?

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I have tried to use dpns once and gave up pretty quickly. I prefer to knit on circular needles, using Magic Loop or two circulars for a narrow item. Maybe needle protectors would help in your case? Just jam 'em on the tips of your needles before you put your work away.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

MIDWIFE CRISIS posted:

I'm going to be knitting a lot of socks this year for a charity event, but it's so annoying to bring knitting projects on dpns when traveling. There are so many needles involved and the risk of one slipping loose in the bag is too high. Is there a smart way of storing dpn projects for travel?

How about these point protectors? They have a bungee to keep them together.

Do look into Magic Loop, though. I have a 40" Addi Turbo (various sizes for various yarns) that I use for Magic Loop, though I think Chiagoo etc would be fine these days too. I've just started a two-at-a-time one on circular needle sock pair today, actually!

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

MIDWIFE CRISIS posted:

Ngl I just get those tiny hair elastics, the ones that you get like 100 for a dollar and hurt to take out, and wrap one at the end of each needle

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

MIDWIFE CRISIS posted:

I use this neat sock DPN holder thing I got from this Etsy store, Danware. It was about $40 CAD and is absolutely fantastic. I just toss it into my project bag and toss that into my man-purse and I'm ready to work on socks everywhere I go. The slot holds the work on four needles as well as your loose needle and the end screws on so everything is nice and secure.

It doesn't look like there are any in stock on that particular shop right now but I imagine he'll have some more up eventually, and you could probably even message him to ask when more will be available. It's very high quality and I use it constantly and never worry about breaking a needle.

I have seen a plastic thing similar to this at FabricLand (again, I'm in Canada so gods only know if they're available where you are) which would probably work just as well.

(body of sock in photo is As Bright As It Gets from Full Moon Fibres, and the toe is some garish sock yarn from the Fergus Yarn Co.)

Mad Hamish fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jan 11, 2023

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

MIDWIFE CRISIS posted:

I got some sock knitting cardboard tubes, but you can also get these little rubber coils for putting on the ends of the needles for traveling. I like both--the tubes are less likely to roll off when I'm working, but I just stick the coils in my pocket when I'm working to get around how they like to roll away.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Heyo knitting thread. All my local yarn stores have gone out of business again. However it's been so long since I last bought yarn online that KnitPicks was still reputable the last time I did.

I see some good links upthread, but where else do you all recommend for yarn online?

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
I like LoveCrafts. They have the price conscious and an absurdly large number of Paintbox yarns. I made a queen sized blanket for 40 bucks on one Saturday/Black Friday sale with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

They have the funniest name too :cthulhu:

Thank you all for the dpn transportation ideas!