Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/TimmermansEU/status/1612499494406393883
https://twitter.com/dw_europe/status/1612752231950090240

lmao, euros.

What a bunch of loser countries, enjoy eating poo poo for america.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

wait so is the f35 good or bad

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

CODChimera posted:

wait so is the f35 good or bad

saying its bad is russian dezinformatsiya

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
Coach Red Pill vs Lazerpig on Youtube right now!

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/MyLordBebo/status/1612868618483539968

https://twitter.com/Feher_Junior/status/1612868237720490008

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

WaryWarren posted:

Coach Red Pill vs Lazerpig on Youtube right now!

I would rather read mlmp08 entire post history

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

Not So Fast posted:

I would rather read mlmp08 entire post history

lol, Destiny was also a guest as well but wisely bowed out after a bit

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BrotherJayne posted:

we're so glad you approve

really not careing for your gratitude, but alright

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

lobster shirt posted:

the only thing that can stop a bad guy with a brick is a good dog with a gun

lol

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

let the patriot games commence

quote:

Ukrainian troops to train on Patriot system in Oklahoma
FILE - U.S. Air Force Staff Sgt. Cody Brown, right, with the 436th Aerial Port Squadron, checks pallets of 155 mm shells ultimately bound for Ukraine, April 29, 2022, at Dover Air Force Base, Del. The U.S. will send $1.8 billion in military aid to Ukraine in a massive package that will for the first time include a Patriot missile battery and precision guided bombs for their fighter jets, U.S. officials said Tuesday, Dec. 20, 2022, as the Biden administration prepares to welcome Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy to Washington. (AP Photo/Alex Brandon, File)
WASHINGTON (AP) — About 100 Ukrainian troops will head to Oklahoma’s Fort Sill as soon as next week to begin training on the Patriot missile defense system, getting Kyiv closer to obtaining a long-sought protection against Russia continued missile attacks.

Ukraine has requested that the U.S. provide the Patriot surface-to-air guided missile defense system for months because it can target aircraft, cruise missiles and shorter-range ballistic missiles. During his late December visit to the U.S., Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy said the battery would make a significant difference in bolstering Kyiv’s defenses against Russia’s invasion.

The number of Ukrainians coming to Fort Sill is approximately the number it takes to operate one battery, and they will focus on learning to operate and also maintain the Patriot, Pentagon spokesman Air Force Gen. Pat Ryder said Tuesday.

Kyiv’s decision to take troops off the battlefield to train across the Atlantic in the U.S. is unusual, although it has sent forces for short-term training at European bases for other more complex systems it has received, such as on the longer-range High Mobility Artillery Rocket System.

Patriot training normally can take several months, but “the longer those troops are off the line, they’re not actually engaged in combat,” Ryder said, so the training will be shortened.

Fort Sill was selected because it already runs Patriot training schools, Ryder said.

The U.S. pledged one Patriot battery in December as part of one of several large military assistance packages it has provided Ukraine in recent weeks. Last week Germany pledged an additional Patriot battery.

Each Patriot battery consists of a truck-mounted launching system with eight launchers that can hold up to four missile interceptors each, a ground radar, a control station and a generator. The Army said it currently has 16 Patriot battalions.

The Patriot batteries will complement a variety of air defense systems that both the U.S. and NATO partners have pledged to Ukraine, as it faces an evolving barrage of missiles and drones against its civilian population and infrastructure from Russia in the nearly 11-month old conflict. In the last few months Germany has pledged four IRIS-T air defense systems; the U.S. has also pledged eight mid-range National Advanced Surface-to-Air Missile Systems, or NASAMS, and Avenger air defense systems.

The training at Fort Sill was first reported by CNN.

https://apnews.com/article/zelenskyy-politics-6bb6e815e77b0d6b83590d344eb884bb

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/1612856500388782080

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

uh huh

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Ukraine is so boned and they dont even know it. The patriots are nothing without tom brady.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

gradenko_2000 posted:

In the first 10 years of operation. the F-16 was costing the American Taxpayer around 18 million per airframe. 143 had been destroyed, and 71 of its pilots were dead.

As far as I can tell, this is just false. 44 destroyed, 16 dead pilots. It's possible that this includes non-American losses as well, but I went through a third party database of accidents and it still doesn't add up. Maybe Israel lost a poo poo ton?
https://www.safety.af.mil

mlmp08 posted:

Meh, my posts are about 3-4% of the thread by postcount, tops. A small portion of the content. But gonna hit the road soon, and I don’t post while driving so you’re free for a little bit!

I don't actually want you thread banned I want you to stop having interminable slap fights.

euphronius posted:

What does "we are a nation now" even mean

A distinct national group as opposed to a type of Russian.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Ok, now lets read what he really said. Actually not, that interview is way too long. It seems to machine translate pretty easily so you can just do that if you want, but like I don't think he says anything new. Just another example of how "narratives" go.

https://www.business-gazeta.ru/article/579007

quote:

I believe the results of the year are catastrophic. The special military operation, which was planned to be quick and effective, turned out not to be quick, not to be effective, and turned into a long-term military operation. There are reports of tens of thousands of deaths on the part of Ukraine and Russia, but in fact there are already apparently hundreds of thousands of deaths. Millions of refugees. In fact, there is a civil war within the Russian people, unleashed by the hands of the United States and the West.

At the same time, there has been a huge qualitative shift in attitudes toward Russia in Ukraine. If earlier the anti-Russian sentiments in the Ukrainian society amounted to 10 percent, then under the influence of propaganda they became 15 percent, and then 20-25 percent, then after the beginning of UAS they reached about 70-80 percent. The Ukrainian political regime has been consolidated on an anti-Russian basis. This, too, is a disastrous consequence.

The Russian army has effectively lost its status as the second largest army in the world, if we exclude nuclear weapons. In the eyes of the world, it is judged to be extremely ineffective and incapable of carrying out combat missions. I do not think so, by the way. The problem is not that the Russian army is weak, but that the Ukrainian army has become very strong. The Ukrainian army is unique because it has a Russian soldier (one of the best in the world), a fascist officer (because the US special services have fascinated the officer corps, and he is the skeleton of the army) and American and British generals who run the AFU. Even if they are Ukrainian citizens, they usually have second passports and receive their salaries in dollars or pounds sterling.

In geopolitical terms, too, we see not a transition to a multipolar world, but, on the contrary, a reset of the unipolar world, a significant strengthening of the United States, which has shown its enormous power, efficiency, ability to control political regimes. Western civilization is now more consolidated than ever around the United States. And Russia turned out to be weak. In fact, the Americans defeated the Russian army at the hands of the Ukrainian army in many places. The Russian army was forced to abandon millions of people and hundreds of settlements in the Kiev, Poltava, Sumy, Chernigov, Kharkov, and Kherson regions. Repression fell on these people because Ukraine has a real terrorist regime.

Yes. Russia is five times larger than Ukraine. Most of Ukraine's population could potentially be pro-Russian because they are Russian people. But to achieve this, we need to arm the army, go ahead and defeat the Ukrainian army, establish a tough, effective occupation regime, and cure the people. The people of Ukraine must be treated as members of a totalitarian sect who have been dragged there by force. But since they are already members of a totalitarian sect, they now convince themselves that being in that sect is the right thing to do.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
say what u wanna say about the f35 but it aint no f104

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

well I hope that this is actually true in a way because it seems better than the suggested alternative of having Polish soldiers who have trained on the weapon systems for years operating them in Ukraine immediately under the guise of being volunteers as part of a continuing draw in of a NATO military into this conflict.

I know that's kind of happening anyways with reportedly tens of thousands of Polish "volunteers" (who may or may not be entire polish army regiments operating behind the front lines), but having those guys run around the Ukrainian countryside is probably more palatable to Russia than having their airplanes shot down by patriot missile systems operated by Poles.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

OctaMurk posted:

Yeah the F104 was built under license to support the aviation industries of allied countries

January 6 Survivor
Jan 6, 2022

The
Nelson Mandela
of clapping
dusty old cheeks

( o(

OctaMurk posted:

the F104 is up there with the P47 and Mustang when it comes to killing nazis, I don't know what you mean.

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

https://twitter.com/TobiAyodele/status/1612910896837173255

https://twitter.com/GeromanAT/status/1612906763677737001

inshallah

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/Navsteva/status/1612841379700277252

soledar salt mines look cool ngl

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

azovstal azovsalt

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
lol

https://twitter.com/upholdreality/status/1612830076839596035

:owned:

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Also, the F-35 really hasn’t been in high intensity combat like the f-16, much less everything else that is up for debate. Either way, I didn’t think the crashes are the central criticism of the f-35 but rather its entire part ecosystem, it’s mission capable rate, and it’s sustainability as the primary combat aircraft (eventually) for most Western aligned states.

The f-22 has a higher number of crashes per airframes put into service but it is a plane that has been purposefully undermined to the point remaining airframes are routinely cannibalized to keep it in the air.

The f-35 at least on paper still has the ability to be a strong BVR fighter, it is really the question is about pretty much everything else.

Lostconfused posted:

Ok, now lets read what he really said. Actually not, that interview is way too long. It seems to machine translate pretty easily so you can just do that if you want, but like I don't think he says anything new. Just another example of how "narratives" go.

https://www.business-gazeta.ru/article/579007

Admittedly, it seems like most Russian political “experts” tend to forget the PRC exists and is an active player.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 22:35 on Jan 10, 2023

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

So whats everyone think of the Bradley's? I think those things have only ever been in combat in largely flat, open terrain against ridiculously inferior and under-trained forces. Are they going to be able to get to put up a fight or get taken out very quickly by modernized Russian T-72s/T-90Ms/artillery?

Also, whats the primary reason for not supplying Ukraine with heavy modern tanks like the Leopard and Abrams? Is it mostly due to escalation fears or do those things have sensitive technology in them that Western policy makers are afraid of being captured by Russia much like the reaper drone?

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Gresh posted:

So whats everyone think of the Bradley's? I think those things have only ever been in combat in largely flat, open terrain against ridiculously inferior and under-trained forces. Are they going to be able to get to put up a fight or get taken out very quickly by modernized Russian T-72s/T-90Ms/artillery?

Also, whats the primary reason for not supplying Ukraine with heavy modern tanks like the Leopard and Abrams? Is it mostly due to escalation fears or do those things have sensitive technology in them that Western policy makers are afraid of being captured by Russia much like the reaper drone?

It really depends on how it is used, it is used in an assault role against entrenched positions, it is going to have as hard of a time as any other IFV.

Well, there are only so many Leopard 2s around and most of the current users need their current tanks. As far as the Abrams, there are large numbers in reserve but in reality it is heavy combated to Soviet armor and requires a complex supply chain to keep in operation. It really may not be able of achieve breakthrough operations the Ukrainians need considering all the limitations at stake.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I mean the point of a lot of this is to give the Ukrainians a toy to see how it performs in that environment.

The PR boost that comes from giving them a tank is just a nice cherry on top.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

some speculation in this thread (that aligns with the commentary from other observers) that Soledar changing hands means that Bakhmut will be impossible for the Ukrainians to supply (and any Ukrainian forces left in Bakhmut are going to be under direct attack from both the north and the south), and if they leave Bakhmut than Sivers'k to the north would also be vulnerable for the same reason as the Russians could then come at it from two opposite directions.

Seems like Ukraine will be pushed back to their last obvious defense line in the Donetsk region along the roadway from Slovyansk through Kramatorsk and down to Kostyantynivka very soon, but I guess there's always the possibility that they invest huge resources to try and re-capture the situation in Bakhmut and hold out longer.

I don't know what larger conclusions can be made over how things seemed to have really turned against the Ukrainians holding these fortress towns in the last couple days. Maybe they finally came to their senses and realized there's no loving point in continuously rotating in more fresh soldiers to hold a position being attacked from 3 sides and marginal strategic value in the grand scheme of things.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Gresh posted:

Bradleys are more-or-less BMP-2s, the Ukrainians are going to use them the same way and they're going to lose them the same way

Leopard 2s and Abramses are really expensive active-service vehicles, so giving them to Ukraine means getting really expensive replacements. It will also look bad whenever they blow up, because there's plenty of stuff in Ukraine that blows up modern tanks.

Ukraine had an army running on ex-Soviet equipment, so any addition of Western vehicles adds a bunch of parts incompatibilities and training demands that makes everything more chaotic and expensive. No '90s tank is sensitive equipment at this point, it's just a matter of cost and PR.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Starsfan posted:

some speculation in this thread (that aligns with the commentary from other observers) that Soledar changing hands means that Bakhmut will be impossible for the Ukrainians to supply (and any Ukrainian forces left in Bakhmut are going to be under direct attack from both the north and the south), and if they leave Bakhmut than Sivers'k to the north would also be vulnerable for the same reason as the Russians could then come at it from two opposite directions.

Seems like Ukraine will be pushed back to their last obvious defense line in the Donetsk region along the roadway from Slovyansk through Kramatorsk and down to Kostyantynivka very soon, but I guess there's always the possibility that they invest huge resources to try and re-capture the situation in Bakhmut and hold out longer.

I don't know what larger conclusions can be made over how things seemed to have really turned against the Ukrainians holding these fortress towns in the last couple days. Maybe they finally came to their senses and realized there's no loving point in continuously rotating in more fresh soldiers to hold a position being attacked from 3 sides and marginal strategic value in the grand scheme of things.

I think part of it is just they could only rotate so many units in fast enough while additional units are now being sent north and eventually something had to give. It doesn’t sound like the white flag was given completely but that Wagner eventually got the edge it was waiting force to press the Ukrainians and eventually the Ukrainians simply had to retreat.

We will see if the current line completely falls, but it does become a question of a the sustainability for the AFU to keep on supply forces to defend a new defense line like they have during the current one.

Endman posted:

I mean the point of a lot of this is to give the Ukrainians a toy to see how it performs in that environment.

The PR boost that comes from giving them a tank is just a nice cherry on top.

I think a lot of it is what we have on hand and are willing to sacrifice at this point but it is hard to see how it mixes up the current combat environment.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 23:08 on Jan 10, 2023

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

OctaMurk posted:

What we need is a lawn dart rapid modernisation program to meet our current needs.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Bradleys are more-or-less BMP-2s, the Ukrainians are going to use them the same way and they're going to lose them the same way

Leopard 2s and Abramses are really expensive active-service vehicles, so giving them to Ukraine means getting really expensive replacements. It will also look bad whenever they blow up, because there's plenty of stuff in Ukraine that blows up modern tanks.

Ukraine had an army running on ex-Soviet equipment, so any addition of Western vehicles adds a bunch of parts incompatibilities and training demands that makes everything more chaotic and expensive. No '90s tank is sensitive equipment at this point, it's just a matter of cost and PR.

Repairs and maintenance may not be factors with the numbers of anti tank weapons in the region. I'm thinking more use once, maybe twice if lucky, then ask the paypigs for more.

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

https://twitter.com/WarMonitors/status/1612935434707034113

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

DancingShade posted:

Repairs and maintenance may not be factors with the numbers of anti tank weapons in the region. I'm thinking more use once, maybe twice if lucky, then ask the paypigs for more.

That becomes a PR issue as the Abrams/Challenger/Leopard 2 still have a myth of invincibility. The benefit is saying “If Ukraine had these they’d be advancing on Rostov next week” but actually delivering them runs real risks and bears real costs.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

DancingShade posted:

Part of it is that NATO as a whole really wants to keep its current in service (non-Soviet) MBTs, and no one wants to come up short including the Poles. Also, the US may need time (and money) to actually get reserve armor into workable condition (beyond even just the tanks sitting out in the desert).

Also yeah, shipping an Abrams over is tricky and far from cheap (including training), especially if it just gets stuck in a ditch or gets caught in mud even before hits it.

The West has talked a lot about “unlimited support” but they really have showed it, there are hard limits it seems in how willing they are to go. The Ukrainians need 4th generation fighters like the Gripen with long range missiles but who knows how that will happen along with artillery.

So you get “well you can have the Bradley, and whatever is in the back.”

Frosted Flake posted:

That becomes a PR issue as the Abrams/Challenger/Leopard 2 still have a myth of invincibility. The benefit is saying “If Ukraine had these they’d be advancing on Rostov next week” but actually delivering them runs real risks and bears real costs.

According to YouTube tank celebrity “the chieftain”, the US could push the entire Russian army back out of Ukraine with one armored and one infantry division.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 23:21 on Jan 10, 2023

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
The Abrams gets knocked out by timefall storms when they advance its maintenance timelines.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

It’s too late in the game for hardware to really do anything meaningful other than keep the war going. What Ukrainian air force still exists to operate Grippens? How many aircrew are left? What state are the bases in? How many maintainers or pilots could even read the manuals, panels and instruments?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

SLOVENLY PUTIN!

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
As if Ukraine wasn’t suffering enough, having troops sent to Oklahoma to train on Patriot.

Can’t catch a break.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

Ardennes posted:

The West has talked a lot about “unlimited support” but they really have showed it, there are hard limits it seems in how willing they are to go. The Ukrainians need 4th generation fighters like the Gripen with long range missiles but who knows how that will happen along with artillery.

According to YouTube tank celebrity “the chieftain”, the US could push the entire Russian army back out of Ukraine with one armored and one infantry division.

Long range missiles is the one weapon I really hope doesn't get handed over to Ukraine. At that point, NATO might as well directly enter the war if we're just handing over weaponry hand over fist that allows Ukraine to strike deep inside Russia. Advocates of this plan claim that we'll make the Ukrainians 'promise' not to attack Russia with them. Just loving lol. Yeah, lets go ahead and risk huge escalation on the word of a country not to use weapons given to them on the one that invaded it.