Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Your Everyday NEET posted:

I probably should get to the 3rd cultural anime of the season and the 3rd gender bender of the season.

if it's mostly about a transformed little girl taking her clothes off again probably just don't post about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
punished ayakashi triangle... committed no crimes, yet is pre-judged for airing in the same season as onimai...

Your Everyday NEET
Apr 26, 2017

Patware posted:

if it's mostly about a transformed little girl taking her clothes off again probably just don't post about it

It's the first on the line. I'm referring to the 3rd in the order of release.

The Colonel posted:

punished ayakashi triangle... committed no crimes, yet is pre-judged for airing in the same season as onimai...

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

i said what i said

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

The Colonel posted:

Lol, the English Shounen Jump skipped a few chapters of it because there was nudity of a very young looking girl.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I love anime

Except for when these little fun factoids exist then I don't love anime

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Only a matter of time before Vampire Dies slips into the hit-or-miss juvenile humor that made S1 a mixed bag but with none of that this week, it's just a lovely premiere. The new OP is great as well.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Patware posted:

ep 1 high card: pretty cool especially if you like anime that is stylish but kind of stupid. the MC's power reveal got a huge laugh out of me

gently caress yeah, this owns. looks great and smack dab in the middle of anime stupid that brings me joy.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Tales of Woe posted:

i wanted to like Ars becuase its got the akudama drive / gakkougurashi writer but it's got that sloppy timing/editing that plagues a lot of rushed modern anime productions, which really bugs me when you can feel the seams like that. plus it just doesnt have a particularly good hook. it'll probably go for a big twist at some point given the writer though.

the 'fight', if you can call it that, against the big boar monster was one of the worst action scenes i've seen in anything ever. the animation of individual shots is alright but it's choreographed, edited, and presumably storyboarded so badly that it feels like watching someone hit a pinata, except pinatas respond when you hit them. i want to become an annoying youtube video essayist purely so i can complain about how bad this scene is.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

might make a thread for high card after the next episode if it's still cool

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

vinland was good, and it's great that it isn't locked in netflix jail despite being on netflix.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

ungulateman posted:

the 'fight', if you can call it that, against the big boar monster was one of the worst action scenes i've seen in anything ever. the animation of individual shots is alright but it's choreographed, edited, and presumably storyboarded so badly that it feels like watching someone hit a pinata, except pinatas respond when you hit them. i want to become an annoying youtube video essayist purely so i can complain about how bad this scene is.

Oh yeah I noticed that, how he throws the spear it seems the entire fight stop so he can rescue the guy. It felt very fake.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Hell i will post the rest I wrote the other day in another place...

Revenger
A style over substance samurai action anime with a vengeance story. The first impression is that is too rushed, there is no character setup at all before a key moment that starts up the plot happens
samurai kills his father in law because ordered so, being told he was implied in opium trade, but it was the other way around, the one who gave the order is the one doing opium trade, the father in law was investigating it. He is then betrayed to cover their tracks but… it’s like it doesn’t matter, because you don’t know who is really the main character, nor the fiance, not the father, nor the bad guy. Not only that, some characters appear together the protagonists but they aren’t presented properly to know who they are?
Then the action starts is all a bit too silly for my tastes: we have a boy (dressed as a girl?) killing with a comet, then one guy killing with a gold cloth and praying while showing off a huge Virgin Mary tattoo on the back, another guy throwing domino cards, etc
On the other hand, that isn’t really what the story is about, as the climax for all this happens already at the end of the episode.

Giant Beasts of Ars
This has lots of ‘classical adventure anime’ vibes. Weird fantasy world! giant monsters! scifi elements too! guy with powers! cute girl that serve as magical mcguffin that is being pursued by bad guys from the “Empire”! races with animal ears on their head! another little girl with mascot included, that talks in a funny accent and seems is really an adult! Alas, there in an action scene that is pretty bad, I hope it's the exception not the norm.
I guess we all have seen this anime already, with other names, titles or shapes.
I think the only original point is that the protagonist isn’t a teenager boy, but a grown man.

Buddy Daddies
For the Spy x Family crowd. Two assassins, partners, that in addition to the jobs also have to take care of a little girl. Oh, the hijinks!
Honestly I only watched this with half my brain, but because it didn’t seem it needed more. That said, it was weird how people let a little girl go alone in city all that time.

Endo and Kobayashi Live! The Latest on Tsundere Villainess Lieselotte
(lol that title)
Ok, I read the premise of this and I thought this was too stupid to not try to watch at least. A couple are playing a otome game (a visual novel game targeted to women with princes, princess and stuff) and somehow, one of the secondary characters in the game start hearing the voices of the two players comments about the visual novel, which of course, causes poo poo to happen and changes the ‘canon’ plot of the game.
It looks kinda fun? but I also suspect I may tire of the gimmick in a pair of episodes.

Nier Automata ver 1.1a
Adaptation of the famous videogame. I’ve never played it but I know people say the story is memorable, so I thought watching the anime would be an option, if the anime is good. That said, it seems is a story where the author uses well the fact you are playing a videogame, and it’s a key aspect from what I have read, so there are doubts of how good this adaption will be.
How now the visuals are a mix of good characters with some ugly cg, for close ups they should used 2d!
In any case, the episode itself isn’t very interesting: fighting a big robot boss made up of cranes doesn’t make for good anime story, even if it was in the game. Only at the end there is an interesting tease, character-wise.

The Magical Revolution of the Reincarnated Princess
Reincarnated in a fantasy world. Ugh, I’m totally tired of these tropes, I only watched the first episode because it seemed it had the best reviews on ANN. And well, I think I get it: it’s a well produced show, with nice character designs and animation, the protagonist has some charisma, and it ends up with a potentially interesting situation: I think the prince brother fabricated those lies not because he loves the other girl, it’s all an excuse to plan a coup d’etat and rebel against his father, sinking the fiance was a . Also, if only the nobility has access to magic, producing magical artifact that gives power to commoners seems a baaad idea, from the nobility point of view. revolution incoming?
Maybe I’m too hopeful and the story will be simpler and more centered in the yuri aspect and the villains will be 2d cutouts levels of simplicity, who knows.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

in/spectre had a kinda weak reintroduction episode but still looking forward to getting into 'real' cases
vinland saga likewise was fine but was entirely table setting so i'm not particularly invested or excited yet. i know people think highly of this arc though.

i'm expecting bofuri to provide more immediate sequel satisfaction than these when it drops tomorrow

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Kubo Won't Let Me Be Invisible: After eight minutes of bland and/or bad animation, an unlistenable soundtrack, and attempts at comedy and charm that did not land for me at all, I stopped watching.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Campfire Cooking in Another World with My Absurd Skill ep 1 was pretty good, a mix of lighthearted 'isekai restaurant' with some regular fantasy world stuff and a hint of some wider political fuckery going on in the background

Adventurers Who Don't Believe in Humanity Will Save the World
ep 2 was also pretty good, instead of immediately jelling as a team they still have issues from their previous lives, and they're acknowledging this as a team and letting each other have the room to deal with it or bring it to the table as they grow more comfortable around each other. They had a long talk about the nature of trust and what that means in an adventuring team.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Didn't realise there was actually a third gender swap show but this time it's an isekai too

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

pleased to give reborn to master the sword the least problematic genderswap of winter 2023 award

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Southern Cassowary posted:

Kubo Won't Let Me Be Invisible: After eight minutes of bland and/or bad animation, an unlistenable soundtrack, and attempts at comedy and charm that did not land for me at all, I stopped watching.

the manga is actually decent

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Endorph posted:

pleased to give reborn to master the sword the least problematic genderswap of winter 2023 award

Now with bonus Akarin.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Larry Parrish posted:

I checked it out because I remembered hearing nice things about the manga, but this is a pretty rough adaptation.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Larry Parrish posted:

kubo-san is a pleasant iyashikei romcom that's a nice weekly read, but I had doubts about translating it to anime, which seem to have been founded

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Endorph posted:

:toot:

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Southern Cassowary posted:

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

we got a wannabe sasuga expert itt

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
why would magical revolution have to be simpler to be centered on the yuri aspect. it was incredibly up front about being both about the political situation and about the main character being a lesbian

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

The Colonel posted:

why would magical revolution have to be simpler to be centered on the yuri aspect. it was incredibly up front about being both about the political situation and about the main character being a lesbian

I think the post is saying that the op can't handle there being any kind of plot and just wants the yuri

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I read the opposite, friend is reading a lot into the political situation but afraid it's all going to be backgrounded in favor of fluff. I don't know how you'd get that impression from either the episode or the synopsis though, like, it looks like their relationship is going to develop alongside the titular Magic Revolution they engineer.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Endorph posted:

I enjoyed the main character basically being Aurelia from Cold Steel

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Woah, might need to check that one out then.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Sakurazuka posted:

I enjoyed the main character basically being Aurelia from Cold Steel

go on....

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Turin Turambar posted:

The Magical Revolution of the Reincarnated Princess
Reincarnated in a fantasy world. Ugh, I’m totally tired of these tropes, I only watched the first episode because it seemed it had the best reviews on ANN. And well, I think I get it: it’s a well produced show, with nice character designs and animation, the protagonist has some charisma, and it ends up with a potentially interesting situation: I think the prince brother fabricated those lies not because he loves the other girl, it’s all an excuse to plan a coup d’etat and rebel against his father, sinking the fiance was a . Also, if only the nobility has access to magic, producing magical artifact that gives power to commoners seems a baaad idea, from the nobility point of view. revolution incoming?
Maybe I’m too hopeful and the story will be simpler and more centered in the yuri aspect and the villains will be 2d cutouts levels of simplicity, who knows.

I think it has some legs to be pretty interesting too. I'm not really sure what to think since the brother was also dismissive of the nobility and monarchy and basically called it all bullshit when talking to his fiance. He's already the heir and defying his father now seems risky so right now I'm inclined to think he's genuine about disliking it. He seems resentful of his sister, possibly because she gets away with openly not giving a poo poo about being a princess while he has to be the heir and put up with arranged marriages etc. So I'm interested why she's the one apparently about to start a revolution given that he seems more likely to be the one to currently. You might be right that it's all BS though.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Nephthys posted:

I think it has some legs to be pretty interesting too. I'm not really sure what to think since the brother was also dismissive of the nobility and monarchy and basically called it all bullshit when talking to his fiance. He's already the heir and defying his father now seems risky so right now I'm inclined to think he's genuine about disliking it. He seems resentful of his sister, possibly because she gets away with openly not giving a poo poo about being a princess while he has to be the heir and put up with arranged marriages etc. So I'm interested why she's the one apparently about to start a revolution given that he seems more likely to be the one to currently. You might be right that it's all BS though.

A decent chunk of my interest in Magirevo is all the palace intrigue and I'd be disappointed if it dropped the ball on that.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

It’s an industrial revolution

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I wouldn’t put too much hope in the “Revolution” part of the title

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

RatHat posted:

I wouldn’t put too much hope in the “Revolution” part of the title

Or, more precisely, it is about a revolution, but a technological one rather than a straightforwardly political one. Namtab has it right.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Not only am I right, I put it in spoiler tags lol

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's a cultural revolution to normalize gay marriage.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Darth Walrus posted:

Or, more precisely, it is about a revolution, but a technological one rather than a straightforwardly political one. Namtab has it right.

One might say, it's a MAGICAL revolution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

for some reason I did not expect Kubo to have purple hair. I must have forgotten all of the color pages in the manga or something