Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Literally put a can of tomatoes and a bunch of lentils, maybe like 150 grams in a pot, boil for 20 minutes or until it's mushy, then eat it with a spoon from the pot. If it gets to dry, add water, if it's too runny, increase heat. Probably add some salt and spices too, and chopped onions if you wanna get fancy. You can even fry the onions a bit first.

Then you can begin adding coconut milk and veggies and even chunks of dead animals when you git gud. And replace the salt with stock/bullion to

I don't even care anymore, just posting easy recipes. Cooking is good, and when you have two or three stables, making them is pretty low effort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

crockpots are very good if you are inexperienced at cooking. you can just chop up some vegetables and put them in with a cheap piece of meat and some beef broth or w/e and get a meal out of it a few hours later. is it something you want to depend on instead of getting comfortable with cooking on a stove? nah but it's convenient for making large quantities of food you can eat throughout the week without a ton of effort. if you don't want to use meat then there are plenty of vegetarian recipes too

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I like my veggies burnt almost to the point of being inedible. As good as my instant pot is for most other things it simply isn't up to the task.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

just get an instant pot and cook everything in that

don't use the saute function EVER though

get a real pressure cooker that hits a real psi not some computer with a soup compartment.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Epic High Five posted:

You'll run into that kind of person on Twitter but please don't assume that's where someone you meet in a trusted space or in real life is coming from there. It's far, far more likely at this point that someone around our age genuinely was just never exposed to it as a kid or young adult and doesn't even know where to start, and people should be encouraged to pursue it and not assume there's any kind of stigma or gatekeeping.

I was being snarky but yeah totally agree with this. I didn't really learn how to cook until late 20s.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Just get a simple cookbook like one of the One Pot series, or Three Good Things, or the Flexible Vegetarian. They're just 3 examples of the infinite number of cheap idiot proof cookbooks out there that let you make minimalist recipes that are still delicious and will probably get you laid if you cook them for someone.

I know there's free recipes online, but you won't use them, just get the fucken cookbook, read 3 meals you wanna make, and buy your ingredients for the week

Real hurthling! posted:

get a real pressure cooker that hits a real psi not some computer with a soup compartment.

Lol stfu

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

Real hurthling! posted:

congrats on being the Linux guy of cooking

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Jazerus posted:

crockpots are very good if you are inexperienced at cooking. you can just chop up some vegetables and put them in with a cheap piece of meat and some beef broth or w/e and get a meal out of it a few hours later. is it something you want to depend on instead of getting comfortable with cooking on a stove? nah but it's convenient for making large quantities of food you can eat throughout the week without a ton of effort. if you don't want to use meat then there are plenty of vegetarian recipes too

Also, makes your apartment smell delicious, to the chagrin of any roommates or neighbors you have.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Epic High Five posted:

I like my veggies burnt almost to the point of being inedible. As good as my instant pot is for most other things it simply isn't up to the task.

Try forgetting you were cooking anything and start watching a 3 hour-long movie in the meantime. Works like a charm for me.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

poemdexter posted:

I was being snarky but yeah totally agree with this. I didn't really learn how to cook until late 20s.

Oh I know, I wasn't trying to single you out, just sort of clear the air for when goons riff on it so that anybody coming forward for some noob tips know the score. Goons LOVE talking about food and cooking, it's wild and welcoming, join us!

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

tokin opposition posted:

How did the groceries get to my house op

mawarannahr posted:

the average American is much more used to driving. I mean this seriously. if you’re highly accustomed to driving and it doesn’t make you feel bad or challenge you with something you’re not sure how to proceed, it can be easier to achieve a goal doing something you know how to do. in short, gently caress off

It's almost like any cultivated skill can be used without any ill effect!
Learn to cook.

Zvahl posted:

that's silly, i don't drive, i'm just deeply depressed eating my boring garbage

Same

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Oh, beans are lacking 1% of 1 amino acid compared to meat? Burning my veggies to a crisp makes them lose 20% of their nutrients or whatever? Well guess what nerdlinger I like them so much I eat twice as much so I still come out ahead! Punch that into your TI-83 and push your glasses up in shock!!!

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

The Demilich posted:

It's almost like any cultivated skill can be used without any ill effect!
Learn to cook.

Same

don’t have a car, didn’t grow up in :amerikkka:, cooked forever, have empathy, simple as

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

A slow cooker is a top-tier quality air freshener you get to eat at the end of the day, perfection

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

BonHair posted:

Literally put a can of tomatoes and a bunch of lentils, maybe like 150 grams in a pot, boil for 20 minutes or until it's mushy, then eat it with a spoon from the pot. If it gets to dry, add water, if it's too runny, increase heat. Probably add some salt and spices too, and chopped onions if you wanna get fancy. You can even fry the onions a bit first.

Then you can begin adding coconut milk and veggies and even chunks of dead animals when you git gud. And replace the salt with stock/bullion to

I don't even care anymore, just posting easy recipes. Cooking is good, and when you have two or three stables, making them is pretty low effort.

there's so many good, lazy recipies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9B2HAeXxBs

Get some thick bacon, spicy sausage, pepperoini, whatever savory meat. bok choy, an egg, and any other savory veggie or mushroom. Spicy pepper, ginger, green onion, herbs of choice. Toss them in the rice cooker when there's 20 minutes left. Best if you can keep the yolk from cooking solid, stir everything in right before that happens. The sauce she makes is oyster sauce, dark soy sauce, regular soy sauce, and sesame oil, but you just need soy sauce. Her rice cooker has a 'clay pot' function so the heat stays on even once the rice has absorbed all the water.

The perfect timing is the egg is runny but the bottom layer of rice has become crispy in the sauce and oil that's dribbled to the bottom. stir it all together and eat like fried rice.

the real version of this dish is made in a clay pot above a really hot flame so if you have a stove safe ceramic you can do it that way, but the first few times you will probably burn the rice and that tastes pretty bad.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
The best part about an instantpot is you can throw a bag of unsoaked beans into it and 45 minutes later have perfectly cooked beans. If you can dump garbage into a garbage can, congrats you can dump ingredients into a pot. You're a cook now. I award you all one Michelin star.

Epic High Five posted:

A slow cooker is a top-tier quality air freshener you get to eat at the end of the day, perfection

If you work from home, you will feel like you're starving all day with the delicious smells.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

just get an instant pot and cook everything in that

don't use the saute function EVER though
The multiple Indian curries I do in my instant pot disagree with you.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Slow cookers are amazing. I prefer the dumb kind that just have high, low, and warm as settings. Every "higher tech" one I've ever gotten has had problems/short lifespan due to lovely tech.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Epic High Five posted:

Chop up potatoes, beets, carrots, pumpkin, whatever root vegetable, stir in a bowl with oil, salt and spices (chilli, caraway, pepper, whatever), spread out on a baking tray, put into oven and turn it to 225C or 350F if you're into that, then wait 30-60 minutes until they're good and brown.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
Last night, I dumped some hoisin sauce on a pork loin and threw it in the oven for 35 minutes and it came out perfect and delicious. The only thing I can cook that is lower effort than that is a bowl of cereal.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

BonHair posted:

Chop up potatoes, beets, carrots, pumpkin, whatever root vegetable, stir in a bowl with oil, salt and spices (chilli, caraway, pepper, whatever), spread out on a baking tray, put into oven and turn it to 225C or 350F if you're into that, then wait 30-60 minutes until they're good and brown.

Yeah, I do 450 typically, for 25 minutes, and have been happy with the results. Just got an oven thermometer though so may be refining this in future

Norton
Feb 18, 2006

Epic High Five posted:

Yeah, I do 450 typically, for 25 minutes, and have been happy with the results. Just got an oven thermometer though so may be refining this in future

ive been doing exactly that lately. 450 @ 25 mins to get my 2 daily pounds of asparagus real crispy, although i gotta go longer if the stalks are extra thicc. my problem is when i add another tray of veg it makes everything take longer and it messes up my timings. is there like some rule for that? i've never seen it mentioned in recipes but I swear i have to add 10 minutes if i'm cooking an extra sheet of food in the oven.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

mawarannahr posted:

the average American is much more used to driving. I mean this seriously. if you’re highly accustomed to driving and it doesn’t make you feel bad or challenge you with something you’re not sure how to proceed, it can be easier to achieve a goal doing something you know how to do. in short, gently caress off
You're really living up to your custom title there.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

cat botherer posted:

You're really living up to your custom title there.

I’m famously a car guy apparently which is very funny

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mawarannahr posted:

I’m famously a car guy apparently which is very funny
revenge for disparaging the noble Dutch cyclist :colbert:
(we are very aggressive and rude though if you dont follow the dutch rules of cycling, yes)

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

im an alright cook but i hate doing it so i just eat coldcuts on rye or whatever

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

cooking some beef and broccoli right now f you local Asian place

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Norton posted:

ive been doing exactly that lately. 450 @ 25 mins to get my 2 daily pounds of asparagus real crispy, although i gotta go longer if the stalks are extra thicc. my problem is when i add another tray of veg it makes everything take longer and it messes up my timings. is there like some rule for that? i've never seen it mentioned in recipes but I swear i have to add 10 minutes if i'm cooking an extra sheet of food in the oven.

Stalk too thick? Just halve it lengthwise, that's the part that benefits most of all from a lot of surface area browning up nice in any case. I've personally never adjusted for volume, the whole point of an oven is everything in there is exposed to the same heat. Maybe if you've got a big stew or something with a lot of thermal mass or that may moisten the air up?

More likely it's just a cold spot you're adding the new stuff too. If +10 minutes works for you it works.

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

in a really nice nonstick pan on the stove

enjoy your burn message

be sure to deglaze between sauté and pressure cook. that eliminates the burn problem

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

cooking sucks. but eating? eating rules.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Epic High Five posted:

Stalk too thick? Just halve it lengthwise, that's the part that benefits most of all from a lot of surface area browning up nice in any case. I've personally never adjusted for volume, the whole point of an oven is everything in there is exposed to the same heat. Maybe if you've got a big stew or something with a lot of thermal mass or that may moisten the air up?

ty I just added this to my dating profile

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Norton posted:

2 daily pounds of asparagus

Your bathroom must smell like a hog rendering plant

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

mawarannahr posted:

congrats on being the Linux guy of cooking

i can cook chili in like 4 mins

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Saute mode on the instant pot is a trap.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
:pressf: pictures thread thought of food and died

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽
Lets post pics of food waste bc of "overproduction"

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

AxGrap posted:

there should be a grapes of wrath emoji to complement the eco/fascism one

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AxGrap posted:

quote:

The works of the roots of the vines, of the trees, must be destroyed to keep up the price, and this is the saddest, bitterest thing of all. Carloads of oranges dumped on the ground. The people came for miles to take the fruit, but this could not be. How would they buy oranges at twenty cents a dozen if they could drive out and pick them up? And men with hoses squirt kerosene on the oranges, and they are angry at the crime, angry at the people who have come to take the fruit. A million people hungry, needing the fruit- and kerosene sprayed over the golden mountains. And the smell of rot fills the country. Burn coffee for fuel in the ships. Burn corn to keep warm, it makes a hot fire. Dump potatoes in the rivers and place guards along the banks to keep the hungry people from fishing them out. Slaughter the pigs and bury them, and let the putrescence drip down into the earth.

There is a crime here that goes beyond denunciation. There is a sorrow here that weeping cannot symbolize. There is a failure here that topples all our success. The fertile earth, the straight tree rows, the sturdy trunks, and the ripe fruit. And children dying of pellagra must die because a profit cannot be taken from an orange. And coroners must fill in the certificate- died of malnutrition- because the food must rot, must be forced to rot. The people come with nets to fish for potatoes in the river, and the guards hold them back; they come in rattling cars to get the dumped oranges, but the kerosene is sprayed. And they stand still and watch the potatoes float by, listen to the screaming pigs being killed in a ditch and covered with quick-lime, watch the mountains of oranges slop down to a putrefying ooze; and in the eyes of the people there is the failure; and in the eyes of the hungry there is a growing wrath. In the souls of the people the grapes of wrath are filling and growing heavy, growing heavy for the vintage.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norton
Feb 18, 2006

Failed Imagineer posted:

Your bathroom must smell like a hog rendering plant

yeah my piss reeks but i find that if i pee into the toilet it isn't a problem