Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
from the end of turn 21:

look at that beautiful open ground

we've taken Romashki in a hurried assault, we're moving on another 200-point objective hex in the middle of the ridge, the southern and central bridgeheads have linked-up at Buchak, and we're already starting to outflank the remaining German troops west of Studenets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
I've wasted entirely too much time on Pride of Nations. Don't repeat my mistake.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

The upcoming Grand Tactician DLC is going to have a mode where you start as a regimental commander and work your way up the ranks, I'm pretty intrigued but no details so far

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

The Chad Jihad posted:

The upcoming Grand Tactician DLC is going to have a mode where you start as a regimental commander and work your way up the ranks, I'm pretty intrigued but no details so far

It looks great, though I wish he remasters the Seven Years War game like this or moves to Napoleonics tbh. The ACW was dull as dishwater, only one regiment of Lancers.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

It looks great, though I wish he remasters the Seven Years War game like this or moves to Napoleonics tbh. The ACW was dull as dishwater, only one regiment of Lancers.

Why do you hate the military geniuses Robert E. Lee and Stonewall Jackson??

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Are there any good games to do with Napoleonic naval warfare? Been reading the Aubrey maturin books and now I want to hoist some top mizzens, put the enemy in my lee and deliver a thunderous broadside

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Has there ever been anything done on the Peninsular War specifically? Such a crazy war but there isn't a lot of non-academic coverage of it beyond a ton of British officers memoirs about how lovely it was to spend a few years in Iberia rounding up some Spanish peasantry to get massacred by Napolean's marshals over and over again.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

there is a peninsular campaign dlc for napoleon total war

napoleon and empire total war have sea combat but its kinda janky. looks very cool though.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

lobster shirt posted:

there is a peninsular campaign dlc for napoleon total war

napoleon and empire total war have sea combat but its kinda janky. looks very cool though.

the sea combat in those games is simultaneously janky and the best real-time portrayal I've seen in a game lol. it becomes uncontrollable once you have more than like 4 ships to babysit though

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

not really a strategy game but the sea battles in sid meiers pirates are a lot of fun

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

There's an Ultimate Admirals game with sailing ships.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

There was a classic computer game whose name escapes me,I think it might be Age of Sail by Talonsoft

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/132944/top-10-naval-wargames-age-sail-and-shot

Otherwise Napoleon Total War did both the Peninsula fairly well. Definitely play with LME or NTW III though.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

The Chad Jihad posted:

ultimate general civil war basically did this and it was weirdly compelling

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

John Charity Spring posted:

the sea combat in those games is simultaneously janky and the best real-time portrayal I've seen in a game lol. it becomes uncontrollable once you have more than like 4 ships to babysit though

Also probably one of the better portrayals for including things like "lol, you failed a dice roll so this cannonball hit your powder store and one-shot killed your big ship." Empire's a very neat, incredibly janky game that goes on sale a lot and is easily worth the few bucks.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Frosted Flake posted:

yes but you get a lot of cool dragoons instead.

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

Empire's a very neat, incredibly janky game that goes on sale a lot and is easily worth the few bucks.

its funny how the iroquis end up owning a random european province most of the time

i found a mod that had great unit rosters for the eastern factions but trying it out after playing darthmod... the vanilla combat felt so bad that i had to stop

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Megamissen posted:

its funny how the iroquis end up owning a random european province most of the time

i found a mod that had great unit rosters for the eastern factions but trying it out after playing darthmod... the vanilla combat felt so bad that i had to stop

the darthmod folks went off and made the ultimate general series if you want a recommendation

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Imperial Splendour is pretty good but CA needs to at the very least remaster Empire and Napoleon.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
feral is slowly and steadily remastering the pre warscape games. The modding update that came along with Rome TW Remastered was very nice.

this is essentially the Imperator Rome map in Rome TW remastered.

Also just found out that literally a week ago, some ukrainian dude just released a proof of concept video of modifying Warscape engine Mk2 maps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XaFWXOr_7w

Tankbuster has issued a correction as of 05:48 on Jan 11, 2023

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Bear Trap on GMT's P500 just made the cut

https://www.gmtgames.com/p-955-bear-trap-the-soviet-afghan-war-1979-1989.aspx

And it looks like theres a new COIN game set in Somalia

https://www.gmtgames.com/p-1021-a-fading-star-insurgency-and-piracy-in-somalia.aspx

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Wake up babe, new War Thunder classified document leak just dropped

https://twitter.com/_deltaVelocity_/status/1615022338281463810

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

why even live if you can't own your posting enemies with classified material on forum.warthunder.com

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
i have definitely found wargaming's "tweak stats to balance the game rather than reflect reality" stance to be more fun of a game but drat if WoT didnt miss out on all this classified material drama

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I think World Of Tanks have had two leaks. Little baby compared to war thunder forums, but they still have their own court Marshalls.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Man just when I'm trying to resist the urge to get back into War Thunder

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

you can just dm me your state secrets if the temptation is too high, i won't get you fired

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

it is funny, to me, that there is almost certainly a whole bunch of military intelligence operatives monitoring the war thunder forums for specifications leaks

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
nobody wants to talk about this but the reason why NATO keeps sending all manner of hardware to Ukraine is so that the War Thunder team can tighten up their performance figures

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

V. Illych L. posted:

it is funny, to me, that there is almost certainly a whole bunch of military intelligence operatives monitoring the war thunder forums for specifications leaks

At this point they've probably started using them to leak disinformation

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Raskolnikov38 posted:

i have definitely found wargaming's "tweak stats to balance the game rather than reflect reality" stance to be more fun of a game but drat if WoT didnt miss out on all this classified material drama

Warthunder would be amazing if the gameplay actually took this into account instead of being arcade grindy trash. It could have been like IL-2 or DCS but instead I actively hate playing it even if I'm impressed by the models and simulation.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

people leaking classified information to win arguments on the war thunder forums is, in my opinion, the funniest possible thing to happen online

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

nobody wants to talk about this but the reason why NATO keeps sending all manner of hardware to Ukraine is so that the War Thunder team can tighten up their performance figures

:hmmyes:

Turtle Watch
Jul 30, 2010

by Games Forum

lobster shirt posted:

people leaking classified information to win arguments on the war thunder forums is, in my opinion, the funniest possible thing to happen online

[vile_rat 9/11/12 2:40 PM]: gently caress
[vile_rat 9/11/12 2:40 PM]: gunfire

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Frosted Flake posted:

Warthunder would be amazing if the gameplay actually took this into account instead of being arcade grindy trash. It could have been like IL-2 or DCS but instead I actively hate playing it even if I'm impressed by the models and simulation.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Turtle Watch posted:

[vile_rat 9/11/12 2:40 PM]: gently caress
[vile_rat 9/11/12 2:40 PM]: gunfire

:sickos:

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

lobster shirt posted:

I enjoyed Fitbit accidentally publishing secret US bases and spook locations.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/529340/view/3673282587150017011

quote:

Since Autonomous Investment does not only affect player countries, you might be wondering how well this system works together with the AI? The answer is that it actually works quite well! Together with a bunch of AI improvements and fixes in 1.2, this has resulted in more stable economic growth for AI countries and especially seems to have given Great Britain a boost, as the private sector doing its own thing means that the economy is usually growing even if the country’s treasury is having issues, at least as long as the Pops investing into private-sector growth are making healthy profits. There’s still some issues, particularly when AI runs out of available workforce late game, that we are hoping to tackle before 1.2 releases to further improve the AI’s economic growth.

Sounds about right.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Any tips for Old World. I'm liking it so far but I've restarted like 15 times lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

i'm playing unity of command 2 on moscow and i keep running out of guys in the defence of moscow

i can take one or maybe two of the alternative objective towns without much issue but that scenario is just incredibly brutal lol