Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Elyv posted:

I don't like Artosis' streaming personality so I don't watch his stream

His donos are the worst people on the planet.

Also, i assumed Artosis plays it up on stream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

his current youtube casts are funny because there's a good portion of the comments saying "Arty, my dude, just give us a nice thumbnail, none of this meme poo poo, you look like a tool" and I can't help but agree. I think there's some algorithm BS to it, where the dipshits that have MILLIONS of views and subscribers do these pondering or otherwise chintzy faces for their video thumbnails, but maybe it works? I'm the wrong person to ask because the only accounts I subscribe to that are "big" are ones like Tod's Workshop and LGR, everything else is just small potato 10k followers and lower

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
yeah there's a whole youtube/social media meta that is every bit as defined as any in-game meta and the upside to it is you make a lot of money because your content maximizes views/likes/comments/shares/follows, but the downside to it is that it gets pretty soulless eventually and it ends up feeling pretty formulaic... because that's precisely what it is.

The big thing these days is, once you have a pretty popular stream, to get a good editor and to turn your streams into 15-40 minutes youtube videos and to release those basically as fast as humanly possible and with maximum youtube algorithm maximizing bullshit.

idk if I have strong feelings either way about it, it's just the nature of the game these days. If you're trying to make a livelihood (and in particular a livelihood that can put 5 kids through college) you're going to be doing what gets you the most return. Doubly so because streaming is something where you really have to make the most of it while you're doing well because there well and truly are no guarantees about how popular you will be in a couple of years.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Elyv posted:

I don't like Artosis' streaming personality so I don't watch his stream

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Aces High posted:

his current youtube casts are funny because there's a good portion of the comments saying "Arty, my dude, just give us a nice thumbnail, none of this meme poo poo, you look like a tool" and I can't help but agree. I think there's some algorithm BS to it, where the dipshits that have MILLIONS of views and subscribers do these pondering or otherwise chintzy faces for their video thumbnails, but maybe it works? I'm the wrong person to ask because the only accounts I subscribe to that are "big" are ones like Tod's Workshop and LGR, everything else is just small potato 10k followers and lower
Sometimes it's the weirdest stuff that generates clicks. For example, Lowko noticed that videos that had arrows in their thumbnails generated significantly more clicks than the exact same thumbnail without arrows.

Also, if adding weird meme face stuff makes people comment that they don't need that, then that is also good for the video because it has more "engagement".

DTurtle fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Jan 9, 2023

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

DTurtle posted:

Sometimes it's the weirdest stuff that generates clicks. For example, Lowko noticed that videos that had arrows in their thumbnails generated significantly more clicks than the exact same thumbnail without arrows.

Also, if adding weird meme face stuff makes people comment that they don't need that, then that is also good for the video because it has more "engagement".

FearDragon recent said he misspells words in the title to get more people commenting on the video about it, to boost the video :lol:

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Aces High posted:

You pretty much have to put a face in your thumbnail currently if you want exposure. It's why you'll see a face in every single thumbnail from people who rely on the algo/random viewers and post daily. For creators who don't use their own face much, you'll see the face of someone/something being talked about.

Laser/glowing eyes gets more exposure. I don't know with who, given this seems to apply even to videos small children won't be clicking on to begin with, but they do.

Artosis' thumbnails are guaranteed to be getting him more exposure than when they weren't like that. His built-in audience is going to click either way and knows exactly what to expect.

Fozzy The Bear posted:

The leak doesn't include donations (which must be huge for him)
Or sponsored streams. :getin:

I like artosis' stream and his stream community, but it's because it's all a big in-joke of sorts. The non-joke part is artosis is/was easily tilted and mad/sad at starcraft, but at the same time he plays it up for stream and has created a whole lot of lore surrounding the game, his motivations, and his results. It's all amplified by just how many people, including many regulars, don't seem to get it.

It's a variation of kaceytron when kaceytron was a "pro league of legends player". Except Artosis actually is one of the best non-KR terran players in BW and a wholesome father & caster.

With that said, I spend maybe 20 minutes per week watching twitch these days. I do catch some of his clips/videos on youtube. Snow clowning on artosis every single time, including with mass scouts vs a 3 base terran, is some top quality content. And artosis wasn't even mad.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jan 11, 2023

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Again, Artosis is the only creator on YouTube I follow that routinely does that, so it caught me off guard when he first started doing it because I didn't usually see stuff like that from other accounts I follow (and I largely ignore those types of videos in the wild unless someone gives me a recommendation). It doesn't mean I'll stop watching his casts, I just didn't really understand why he needed to do it now and not before

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Aces High posted:

Again, Artosis is the only creator on YouTube I follow that routinely does that, so it caught me off guard when he first started doing it because I didn't usually see stuff like that from other accounts I follow (and I largely ignore those types of videos in the wild unless someone gives me a recommendation). It doesn't mean I'll stop watching his casts, I just didn't really understand why he needed to do it now and not before

He probably just hired a successful stream editor who made the thumbnails. I doubt it was much more thought than that.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

I'm pretty sure a goon "ohno" from our Discord server helps Artosis and Neuro with their artwork on their youtube/twitch streams. Last time I checked, she was even getting paid for it!

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
The mario erotica on Artosis stream is really odd and out of place

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

JollyBoyJohn posted:

He really should get rid of text to talk, his donors are kinda the worst people.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Mooseontheloose posted:

He really should get rid of text to talk, his donors are kinda the worst people.

The donors fit the streamer

Khorne
May 1, 2002

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I'd argue it's completely on brand. It's his chat doing something he can react to while giving the impression that he's constantly "being harassed" by "morons in the chat".

His stream theme is he's a 40something year old man who has played starcraft for 25 years trying to be the next ASL champion and only the imbalance of protoss, imbalance of zerg, vultures in tvt, how much time tvt wastes, his chat, and his opponents doing anything at all stands in his way.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jan 11, 2023

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
the mario erotica is only bad because it gets spammed constantly, the best times for it are when he's in the middle of a micro-intensive battle so he has to take his hand off the keyboard to hit the streamdeck and mute it

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
I'm a +1 for finding his stream basically unwatchable but it's a pretty good example of how to make a stream that maximizes, like, everything that is important to twitch/youtube algos

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i cannot stand artosis' streaming persona nor his chat and don't understand the appeal of either

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
It’s a shame because yeah, it is jarring to ever see him stream for any amount of time, even being “in on the joke,” it’s just a weird and sad place. It definitely is a prime example of people understanding their audience, pulling the right levers, and then having a completely different persona outside of that environment. Is the real artosis the streamer? Or the caster?

Probably neither because he’s just stuck in a nostalgia trap of a late 90s game defining his life/career. Really he’s just playing the part of angsty teenager playing on ladder for his audience to relive. It’s weird, he’s one of the best casters professionally but he’s such a goober when he isn’t being paid to act like an adult.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Thank goodness there's an algorithm resistant search term for good craft; fpvod. The videos that get suggested, including this artosis chap, are bad

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

asl season 15 starts february 14th, with the qualifiers taking place january 28th and 29th

i hope the tastosis vods come out a little quicker this time, last season they were way behind compared to the previous post-live coverage seasons.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

asl season 15 starts february 14th, with the qualifiers taking place january 28th and 29th

i hope the tastosis vods come out a little quicker this time, last season they were way behind compared to the previous post-live coverage seasons.

For real. I also wish there were more major tournaments. I guess having an off-season gets me more excited for when the games come back.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Someone in another thread reminded me of this classic by Boxer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nyZDk_mAcc&t=212s

Fozzy The Bear fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jan 23, 2023

Loiku
Jul 10, 2007

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Someone in another thread reminded me of this classic by Boxer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nyZDk_mAcc&t=212s

I love the ones afterward where he's blinding observers. You'd probably see that more if infantry weren't worthless after the first couple minutes against toss :(

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

There are a few stray Medic Marine TvP games here and there. Always love to see it.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

scan and nyoken won't be doing english casts for this season, so now it's even more important for the tastosis casts to come out in a reasonable time frame. i think artosis was still in the process of moving last season, so now that he's settled i hope we don't have to wait more than a week between a game happening and the cast coming out.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

oh dang, did Scan qualify and therefore can't cast while playing?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Aces High posted:

oh dang, did Scan qualify and therefore can't cast while playing?

The view counts just don't make it monetarily worth it.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Elyv posted:

Huh, I always thought they were casting for free.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Huh, I always thought they were casting for free.

https://www.youtube.com/post/UgkxOh6QSKIupDTFQKXJnqBnBykyeWTn8Qca

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Elyv posted:

Their casts were so dry and clunky. Like having Scan with Tastosis might make sense, cause he is the guy who actually made it to the top(ish) level to help fill in any gaps left by Artosis and Tasteless.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I don't know if anyone else watches ArtosisCasts, but after a massive string of ZvZs in the CNSL(the tier 2 starleague) we've gotten some great TvZs. Both these games are absolutely worth your while.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYxienh5TVU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meY7GpOIrko

Elyv fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Mar 1, 2023

anchorpunch
Mar 30, 2006
Here we go! aSL 15 ! Some really nice games in Group A! I do quite like the Nyoken and Eonzerg cast, took me a moment to get used to it, but they are doing a pretty good job.
E: Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbc-zUrx8Yg

anchorpunch fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Feb 28, 2023

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

anchorpunch posted:

Here we go! aSL 15 ! Some really nice games in Group A! I do quite like the Nyoken and Eonzerg cast, took me a moment to get used to it, but they are doing a pretty good job.
E: Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbc-zUrx8Yg

yeah i'm just gonna watch them instead of waiting a week+++ for artosis. this is a sick set

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

anchorpunch posted:

Here we go! aSL 15 ! Some really nice games in Group A!

Thank you

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Elyv posted:

I don't know if anyone else watches ArtosisCasts, but after a massive string of ZvZs in the CNSL(the tier 2 starleague) we've gotten some great TvZs. Both these games are absolutely worth your while.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYxienh5TVU&t=902s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meY7GpOIrko

Quoting this just for the links to the channel. The CSNL TvZ finals were put up the other day on ArtosisCasts, it was decent if a little one-sided.

Really aggressive T builds out of Scan and lots of Valkyrie play. The Zerg player also went with some interesting guardian builds that I think Scan just had prepped well for, he seemed to have a good read on his opponent the whole set. The zerg also was just ok with mutas, cmon man its like the best unit in the game and a cornerstone of your whole race in every matchup

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

he was really good with mutas and downsizing m&m groups and trying to snipe valks. you should especially see other tvzs earlier in the tournament where he made his guardian build seem unstoppable. it's more of a testament to scan's preparation and ability to deal with mutas and read the current game situation.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

comedyblissoption posted:

he was really good with mutas and downsizing m&m groups and trying to snipe valks. you should especially see other tvzs earlier in the tournament where he made his guardian build seem unstoppable. it's more of a testament to scan's preparation and ability to deal with mutas and read the current game situation.

Yeah I agree with this

It's still shocking to me that Scan lost a game after holding a 4 pool

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

comedyblissoption posted:

Good point! I didn’t watch too many other games from the him, it definitely could have been the opponent’s prep like I mentioned.

I only commented on mutas because there were consistently dives on the main that I thought were really bad, but Arty did comment that Scan builds way more turrets than most pros do. I thought the guardian build was good, and the first use of it in the finals I was amazed Scan held. Not surprised it was taking other folks down.

Elyv posted:

Yeah I agree with this

It's still shocking to me that Scan lost a game after holding a 4 pool

Yeah that was an interesting one

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
hell yeah more asl, also that last game of day 1 was one of the most entertaining games of BW I've seen in a while

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Nyoken/Eon Ro24 Group B cast: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3n7mdD4o6jA

Winners and especially losers are interesting games