Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I would pay a lot of money in order for media to never have a male, brutish villain sniff a woman's hair or declare that a girl's "got spunk" ever again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Motto posted:

I get wanting some happy stuff but making it a rule just makes me think of the media preferences of my old really Christian relatives before anything "woke"

otoh I do find it lame when certain hateful or gross stuff gets randomly thrown around in works that otherwise don't deal in the subject whatsoever, including overall upbeat or even kids stuff. lots of fantasy where being vaguely/openly rapey is a dialogue tic for random bandits you oneshot in a tutorial and nothing like that is ever mentioned again

Nod nod to both. Though sometimes... the later can work, def not that example ofc. Its when it feels weirdly casual is when it mostly fails.

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jan 11, 2023

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Barudak posted:

To me, its no less unrealistic than living on a planet of floating continents and doing sick air stunts while holding your partners hands at like 100 km an hour, but I get it not working for you. I think I'll safely say just skip Haven cause the gameplay sure as hell wont carry you if the story can't.

I think that there's an important difference between realism in physics or geography, and realism in emotions.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
honestly i think this is actually the reason the gender flip option weirds me out. gender swapping characters with an established dynamic you like is fun because you get to think about what parts of the character would change or stay the same. a person's gender doesn't define them but how a person identifies will effect on some level how they look and maybe some of how they behave, appearance will definitely effect an amount of how other people behave towards them. this should be extremely pertinent in the kind of story haven is presenting but the fact that it literally is just a thing you can flip around kinda just says how little it matters. maybe i'm wrong about that though and it goes as deep as fate/extra making big alterations to whole dialog exchanges depending on whether hakuno is a boy or a girl and which servant you're using. even there though it kinda hits a more fundamental level of them being different character combinations entirely

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Snooze Cruise posted:

Its like when it feels weirdly casual is when it mostly fails.

i think it's because it sets a tone that the work must be willing to rise to the level of and, if it fails in doing so, ends up coming across as cheaply using what's otherwise a decidedly heavy subject to get across that someone's a Bad Guy

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i think ff14 is the weirdest example of that stuff cause it's got so many writers on so many different parts that depending on who's in charge of a given scene it could either be handled really well or just used for cheap shock

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Junpei posted:

i loved finding out that an animator at Disney who worked on a lot of the big queer-coded villains was gay himself

Yeah that makes sense. Disney villains being gay af works because gay people have more fun and gay villains know how to have a good time. That and dumb restrictions made it harder to portray any kind of openly gay character as also being good person.

e:
You can see a little bit of the same thing in stuff like FF Dissidia where you can really tell which characters are and aren't falling back on some level of queer coding because those particular traits (foppish, sissy, dandy, and so on) became so closely associated with queer coding in media in general.

FirstAidKite fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jan 11, 2023

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

FirstAidKite posted:

The hell's a reformed succubus

The short summary of the character in question, Arueshalae, is that she's a normal succubus who seduced and murdered a priestess of Desna, the goddess of dreams. While the priestess was dying, Arueshelae mind probed her because she was curious what it was like to sleep and dream. This basically activated a trap card and caused Desna to personally take notice of her; instead of destroying her for murdering a priestess, Desna's response was allow her to dream and feel regret like mortals do, which led to her being horrified at what she was and had been doing. She spends some time trying to figure out how to redeem herself and working against her former demon allies before getting caught by the crusading army, who are understandably not too keen to believe her story since succubi are basically liar demons. You can recruit her in a few different ways and depending on your choices you can either help her along her path to redemption and peace or you can get her to throw it all away and go evil again. The redemption arc is cute and touching, the corruption arc is fairly boring.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Based on my lazy google Im not able to find any evidence of dialog changes if you swap genders in Haven, but you also can't bully me enough to replay the game to find out so somebody else will need to make that terrible decision.

Not related but CCP censorship of Chinese BL content is probably why even the Taiwanese ones lack it as well. An expected but chilling effect due to language and audience.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Kanos posted:

The short summary of the character in question, Arueshalae, is that she's a normal succubus who seduced and murdered a priestess of Desna, the goddess of dreams. While the priestess was dying, Arueshelae mind probed her because she was curious what it was like to sleep and dream. This basically activated a trap card and caused Desna to personally take notice of her; instead of destroying her for murdering a priestess, Desna's response was allow her to dream and feel regret like mortals do, which led to her being horrified at what she was and had been doing. She spends some time trying to figure out how to redeem herself and working against her former demon allies before getting caught by the crusading army, who are understandably not too keen to believe her story since succubi are basically liar demons. You can recruit her in a few different ways and depending on your choices you can either help her along her path to redemption and peace or you can get her to throw it all away and go evil again. The redemption arc is cute and touching, the corruption arc is fairly boring.

If that's all it takes to get demons to stop being jerks you'd think it'd happen more often huh

Barudak
May 7, 2007

FirstAidKite posted:

If that's all it takes to get demons to stop being jerks you'd think it'd happen more often huh

Seems to happen pretty frequently to Succubi assigned to Japan based on the amount of historical witness testimony and artist renderings.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

I think I played a few hours of Haven with a buddy. The zipping around was fun, but the characters weren't quite enjoyable enough for me to stick around long enough for serious plot to happen. From what Barudak says about the people obeying the big evil AI, it sounds like the plot might be more interesting from a civics/administrative evil lens than a romance focused one. That's pretty neat! I hope that it has some insightful stuff to say about the value of critically engaging with systems you are part of and when a radical break from your expected role is worthwhile. It is on my list of games to continue, but it is pretty far down atm.

I do definitely appreciate the boldness of the Furi people trying to make a radically different game with their second project. (Hmm, now that I look at their stuff, seems like they have 3 games and a 2022 DLC for Furi on top of that. Reviews describe it as Furi's Vergil DLC, lol). Ambitious, flawed games tend to be a much more engaging time than safe and/or heavily focus-grouped ones, though I certainly do appreciate how many deliciously critical essays come out of the blind spots of some AAA games.

Speaking of which, here's some fun ones I found on Critical Distance about the recent God of War:
https://www.polygon.com/23519077/god-of-war-ragnarok-female-characters-freya-faye-angrboda-portrayal-analysis

https://deep-hell.com/snowblind/

https://bulletpointsmonthly.com/2022/12/28/one-shot-isn%27t-enough-god-of-war-ragnarok

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
oh yeah the furi dlc made me laugh because they named their female player character onnamusha. her name is literally just female warrior in japanese

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Barudak posted:

Seems to happen pretty frequently to Succubi assigned to Japan based on the amount of historical witness testimony and artist renderings.

What?

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

The more hosed up and evil the gay people are...the better, quite frankly.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I know we all laugh at Edge Maverick but Mulberry Wandering is destroying me at the moment as far as names go.

Also I finally realized shes supposed to be Moon Clear and Sparse (as in sort of pure, not that theres not muvh moon to go around) not Moon Loveletter but theres no way they didn't want it to be a pun

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

FirstAidKite posted:

The personal intervention of a god is kind of a big deal.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Okay that's what they translate as but what do they actually sound like. How are they said. Romanize the Chinese, don't translate it.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

Alas, all I find when I google "mulberry wandering" game is stuff about an operator codename in Arknights.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
mulberry ftw (has never pulled her)

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

She is very helpful if you don't like being afflicted with status effects!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Junpei posted:

Okay that's what they translate as but what do they actually sound like. How are they said. Romanize the Chinese, don't translate it.

Exactly as they should be, Yue Qingshun and Sang You. Im a huge fan of I know theres a term for it where the name is the characters traits and Mulberry Wandering is just doing it for me. The rest of my household hates it, mind you, but give me a Sal Ruggedero or Die Hardman any day.

Edit: "Yue Qingshu is a green tea girl" is your rude chinese cultural insult for the day

Barudak fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jan 11, 2023

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

I like when characters are memorable. A goofy name can certainly help with that...
EDIT: where would the Demon Rush be without Brooks Cracktackle?

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
The real best romance in Wrath of the Righteous is turning Wenduag good neutral through the power of love.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

avoraciopoctules posted:

I like when characters are memorable. A goofy name can certainly help with that...

who among us can ever forget the name "sol badguy"

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

avoraciopoctules posted:

It'd still have Jimmy, Knight, and Cherry Venus

Vermain posted:

Yeah but his real name is Fred.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Vermain posted:

Top tier in my opinion. It made me laugh and was so amazing as a pun name I bought Guilty Gear and played as him due to it. Not my main anymore but Sol Badguy sold a copy.

Edit: Why yes, how did you know I think every name in Phoenix Wright is incredible

Barudak fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jan 11, 2023

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The Colonel posted:

mulberry ftw (has never pulled her)

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Barudak posted:

Top tier in my opinion. It made me laugh and was so amazing as a pun name I bought Guilty Gear and played as him due to it. Not my main anymore but Sol Badguy sold a copy.

I'm amazed I only found out his names are Freddie Mercury puns sometime during the pandemic

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I love me an RPG character with an on the nose/over the top name, like Abel Stigmata.

(that's not an actual character I just made that up off the top of my head)

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I think Im pretty firmly on the side of meal bonuses not adding any enjoyment for me in games.

Im not sure Sword and Fairy 7 gets passive balancing. I can choose to either have 130% xp gain or have 15% more max HP. To be fair though, Sword and Fairy 7 has possibly the most anemic level up feel in a game released in the last decade so the benefit is visually hidden from the player

FirstAidKite posted:

I'm amazed I only found out his names are Freddie Mercury puns sometime during the pandemic

There are so many layers. Its all so good.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Junpei posted:

I love me an RPG character with an on the nose/over the top name, like Abel Stigmata.

(that's not an actual character I just made that up off the top of my head)

Where does "Airy" fall as far as names go

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
See that just brings me to the simple-names-for-a-kid area like naming a lion man some variation on Leo/Leon.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
few people can come up with memorably "whacko yet just this side of plausible" names like yasuhiro nightow

legato bluesummers
leonardo watch
millions knives
nicholas d. wolfwood
stephen a. starphase

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

I'm gonna start playing Dragon Age 2 on Steam, but since it's a very old game, I wanted t know if anyone has a list of mods that are quality of life improvements or ones that you folks think make the game better.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

avoraciopoctules posted:

MMMMMMMM

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Got the party member after Florence in Shadow Hearts 2 today and this game rules. Just fought a giant pink cat named Andre.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
So is most of Crystal Project's open world mostly jumping around? Because wow I suck at platforming!!

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Mr E posted:

Got the party member after Florence in Shadow Hearts 2 today and this game rules. Just fought a giant pink cat named Andre.

That is one giant pussy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Tired Moritz posted:

So is most of Crystal Project's open world mostly jumping around? Because wow I suck at platforming!!

It is, but at least a lot of it is pretty generous if you screw up.