Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Oh yeah I had a group time out to Ozma too. People weren't understanding the meteors mechanic and they were bursting and wiping entire parties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
do them day 1 but beware the tryhards who get lovely instead of going ooo aaah and enjoying everyone eating poo poo

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

My day 1 group only wiped at the third fight and we figured out immediately how to handle it.
Yes I only did it once so far there's so much content this patch

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

Day 1 Ozma was some of the best fun I've ever had in this game and we probably wiped 5 times.

I've had groups wipe more than 5 times on Ozma in 2022.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Jumped back to female lalafell, and even though the pose doesn't match with male I was still able to get a similar plate out of it. I think they both look good.

Zeruel posted:

do them day 1 but beware the tryhards who get lovely instead of going ooo aaah and enjoying everyone eating poo poo

I've been doing 24mans on patch drop for years and the only time I've seen people get lovely is when it coincided with new housing plots and people were queuing in angry that they didn't get their plots. Thank god that can't happen anymore.

Vitamean fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jan 11, 2023

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Yeah I don't remember the last time anyone got too try hard in the day one chaos, and I'll typically run the raid multiple times daily through each day as I / friends are trying to farm a specific drop. They're generally chill and my last run was just full of jokes and memes.

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy
Lately day one content hour 1 content is full of very competent players. Maybe we wipe once. But otherwise attack happens once and if is obvious enough, barely anyone gets hit. Or people get hit and then everyone knows what's up.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Zeruel posted:

Running into those people is also part of the fun :sickos:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Don't do them day 1.

See I told that to myself eight months ago, and forgot it over those eight months. I'm telling myself not to do this now, but eight months form now I'm probably gonna forget I told myself that. Especially because the midpoint between those alliance raids are the day one normal raids, which are actually just fine, so they lull me into thinking that surely the day 1 alliance raids weren't THAT bad.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

i cant wait to see this convo come through again, beat for beat, in august

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

Fell into the portrait hole since they're very necessary now

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

my main experience doing the new alliance raid day 1 is people being thirsty for the bosses

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Cleretic posted:

See I told that to myself eight months ago, and forgot it over those eight months. I'm telling myself not to do this now, but eight months form now I'm probably gonna forget I told myself that. Especially because the midpoint between those alliance raids are the day one normal raids, which are actually just fine, so they lull me into thinking that surely the day 1 alliance raids weren't THAT bad.

If you end up joining day 1 again next time and you aren't having fun just remember it's okay to leave midway through the raid and try again another time. In my day 1 raid there were a few people who left when we wiped on the second boss and their spots filled instantly, so it wouldn't negatively affect your group.

Don't spoil the experience for yourself by slogging through it when you're not having a good time. Really that goes for any content.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

All normal content in this game (raids, trials, alliances) are at their most fun when they are brand new and nobody has any clue what they are doing or how anything works.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Onean posted:

Oh, a tiny bit of information on 7.0, though it's just confirmation that the level cap will be 100. YoshiP also says that going past 100 doesn't feel right, so they need to do some considering about what to do in the future.
https://twitter.com/aitaikimochi/status/1612729124069707776?s=20&t=6csvqUAatof9xG2pQw4ggA

they could easily squish the levels by cutting like 20 or 30 levels from ARR. You can go multiple levels without getting anything at all.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I finally did one of the fishing expedition things and I have to admit it was a lot more enjoyable than just solo fishing. Fast paced, high energy, high reward. Now I just have to figure out what to do with all these drat fish lol

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

SirSamVimes posted:

my main experience doing the new alliance raid day 1 is people being thirsty for the bosses

It's not thirst, but I personally love the way all of them look! A lot of people are down on Menphina, but I honestly don't get that because I think she's great, especially when adding in Dalamud carrying her around. :kimchi:

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Halone turning her spear and shield into a giant greatsword is extremely good and I'm sad she doesn't keep it that way for the rest of the fight.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
My favortie part of doing the actual alliance raid was noticing that Althyk is an Odin reskin. Maybe that was what reminded Krile to worry about him on her trip through the Shroud.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

They should replace Intervene, Plunge, Onslaught and Rough Divide with a single role action.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

The only problem I run into day 1 is the healers being so busy rezzing folks they forget to heal people. After a few runs I dodge the attacks, it's the raidwides that kill me.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

But then we don't get unique animations for each one

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

jjac posted:

Fell into the portrait hole since they're very necessary now

The Harry Dubois gets me every time. That is just :discourse:

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

PlaysGamesWrong posted:

I finally did one of the fishing expedition things and I have to admit it was a lot more enjoyable than just solo fishing. Fast paced, high energy, high reward. Now I just have to figure out what to do with all these drat fish lol

Just vendor them, honestly. I think there are a few that are usable in aquariums? But in general, just dump the fish on the vendor near the pier. Think of it as feeding Limsa Lominsa with all those weird hellbeasts you caught.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

The Waterfall Partition is amazing! There were tricks with showers to do "rain" before now but this is so easy.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
they added a TT card you buy with cowries, now I have to actually engage with the island :(

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

PlaysGamesWrong posted:

There's a quest in the merchant strip of Ul'dah (Around crafter level 30, I think, and I think you need to have Culinarian that high to do this to fish) that will grant the ability to break the fish down into water crystals, sand, and occasionally other things. Until then, just throw them at a vendor unless you like the look of it, it says it could go in an aquarium, you have a place you can put aquariums, and you have the cash to buy aquariums.

In other news, I'm all for complicated resolutions and stories where no one gets off very clean or completely unharmed, but I do like the Firmament stories that are very storybook "And no one had much problems with anything beyond the initial incident and it all went rather well." It's cute.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
The desynth level of all the fish from ocean trips is 1, they don't desynth into anything useful and don't give many desynth levelups. Vendor or discard them.

Except for those you want to put on canvases in your room/house (probably not). And some fish can be put in an aquarium (eg. some of the big spectrals), also in your room or house.

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

im having fun, isnt everyone else?

PlaysGamesWrong posted:

cute name change but learn how to tank before you curse any ocean fishing boats namaste

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Namnesor posted:

Day-one 24-man content is some of the most fun I ever have in this game.

I did Euphrosyne blind yesterday and it was a hoot.

My friend and I even managed to each get two halves of a single mechanic. In the Menphina fight, I noticed the hound's sickle but hadn't been paying enough attention to the floor, while my friend had been watching the floor but hadn't had great angles to see the sickle. So we pretty much just kept not noticing half the tells for the two-halves aoe mechanic and it was a coin toss whether we'd get hit by one of them. Afterwards, in discord chat, when rerunning the raid I mentioned "OH she keeps putting down floor telegraphs, I'm an idiot, I only noticed the sickle!" And my friend was like, "wait, what sickle?"

When you and 23 other people all start piecing together what to do based on familiarity with previous mechanics, where it's both challenging enough to see a wipe but not so challenging that anybody gets stressed out, that's the sweet spot for me.

It was genuinely a lot easier than Aglaia, that's for sure.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
https://twitter.com/IncorrectFFQTS/status/1612985997200965632?t=9YoZOu6h6xXnKohIF4b7GQ&s=19

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS
Mmm, catfish buuz.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Feels really strange of SE to flip the switch on a new packet compression mode on a major content patch with a new 24 man that will pile people into some of the highest network traffic content the game has to offer, rather than on like patch 6.38 hotfixes or something. It's a heavily used third party library but their implementation of it is hosed and that's what lead to this https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/news/detail/aec657aaf683c9d1c863b853353422eec52a9fba

In lighter news there was some new code snuck into the exe which confirms they're working on DX12 rendering for the 7.0 graphics update, so it could be a full on rendering engine rework rather than just here's some better textures and more lights.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
if they did it at any other time the issues wouldn't start showing up until the next time the servers came under heavy load, though

Veotax
May 16, 2006

aers posted:

In lighter news there was some new code snuck into the exe which confirms they're working on DX12 rendering for the 7.0 graphics update, so it could be a full on rendering engine rework rather than just here's some better textures and more lights.

Oh god, please be better AA coming with that too. It has to be, right?
The AA in this game is ancient and looks awful.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Itzena posted:

Mmm, catfish buuz.

That's my character name. Please don't imply my roedame is delicious.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I thought it was funny that my alliance run had a harder time with the first two bosses than the last two.

For the first, it's ok I get it, they were distracted. Also the timing on the forced movement tripped a lot of people up.

The second was a huge clusterfuck and we very nearly wiped near the end. I also got got by not noticing the card effect on me until too late and getting bad luck with an AoE pointed at me right after.

Nearly all the mechanics in the raid are pretty lenient and only drop you if you fall multiple in a row or stand in an enormous telegraph, so it isn't going to be long before most runs go as smoothly as Aglaia has been recently.

Also, regarding the next raid, since we actually fight five of the Twelve in this one there's only three left for the next raid, so we'll likely get to meet a mystery thirteenth god for the finale.

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Jan 11, 2023

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Thundarr posted:

Also, regarding the next raid, since we actually fight five of the Twelve in this one there's only three left for the next raid, so we'll likely get to meet a mystery thirteenth god for the finale.

The followup quests give a potential answer for that. That said... the watcher seems way too chill to actually want to fight, so who knows.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I died the most on the second boss but the third boss was the only one to wipe the raid (not enough living dps to pass the dps check)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

it's a tremendous irony that the people who will actually make the most use of the instant portrait system - aesthetes who like showing off their glams and photographic creativity - are the ones who the current system fucks over the hardest

if i gotta re-save my portrait every time i do anything from changing my plate to changing my hair to flipping my visor up, i'm gonna lose interest in it in a hot second