Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

UP AND ADAM posted:

And wtf was that fairy king poo poo that appeared out of nowhere and disappeared into nowehere

that feels like a bad habit carried over from Astral Chain, which also concealed like 75% of its plot in datalogs and side entries

platinum's stories were never complex but they also never squirrelled away key details in textlogs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

that feels like a bad habit carried over from Astral Chain, which also concealed like 75% of its plot in datalogs and side entries

platinum's stories were never complex but they also never squirrelled away key details in textlogs

The fact that what the final boss is is completely buried in codex logs, and the answer is "an evil plant that got some science juice spilled on it", is insanely funny to me

Bayo 1 villain: the chief deity of one of the trinity of realities, light

Bayo 2 villain: the chief deity of one of the trinity of realities, chaos

Bayo 3: a plant

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

The fact that what the final boss is is completely buried in codex logs, and the answer is "an evil plant that got some science juice spilled on it", is insanely funny to me

I had been reading the journal and beastiary stuff cause I kinda loved how the bestiaries looked in general and laughed very hard that what should be a main plot point is in there and also so dumb.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Wait, was he a plant? I thought he was made in a plant, like a factory.

Either way, Singularity was a completely dogshit villain. No personality, no backstory, no interesting motivation beyond destroying the multiverse, no redeeming qualities whatsoever. Even Loptr had his fabulously tacky outfit to make up for his deficiencies.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

DemoneeHo posted:

Wait, was he a plant? I thought he was made in a plant, like a factory.

Either way, Singularity was a completely dogshit villain. No personality, no backstory, no interesting motivation beyond destroying the multiverse, no redeeming qualities whatsoever. Even Loptr had his fabulously tacky outfit to make up for his deficiencies.

You're right, I somehow missed the first word in this one paragraph that sort of explains his origin:

At a plant utilizing one of the more advanced technologies of his home world, the production of artificial body parts, an anomaly occurred and a completely self-aware artificial human was created - Singularity. He then began to mass produce Homunculi and rebelled against his creators, eventually eradicating all of humanity.

But yes, I think the fact that this radically alters the... story but also doesn't matter or explain anything either way is also quite telling lmao. I really want to see some behind the scenes look into some of this game's development

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

Haven't they been doing obnoxiously long and boring collectible text dumps since Bayo 1?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
revengeance had even more infodumps but they were all incidental detail. you don’t even know the motivation of one of astral chain’s main villains if you don’t go wiki walking

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
The more PlatinumGames original plots I see play out the more I have to wonder how the gently caress The Wonderful 101 ever happened and worked so well. Because it did work, and it worked perfectly, even when some bits of it strained a little it held together, it had a plot, it had themes, people wanted things, and did things, and sometimes the people were irrational but their motivations tracked, and it had a masterful buildup and escalation and release of tension over its runtime, and most of all, it did all this Actually Serious stuff and still managed to balance it against an upbeat, irreverent tone that gradually shifted from what seemed like a cover for wacky genre hijinks into the perfect delivery mechanism for the emotional throughline; each time someone babbles on about heroes never giving up and all that it's a little bit less of a joke until by the end you're literally doing fist pumps and grinning ear to ear. And the whole thing is completely, inescapably, a 100% PlatinumGames production, their own original IP, and their own writing with no authorial oversight. It has the now-familiar spectacle you see in all their other games, but somehow it has everything else going for it as well, and looking back it seems like an incredible fluke.

Edit to add: It isn't necessarily bad for such seemingly important detail to be consigned to lore. Honestly, I find the concept refreshing, in that it kind of makes sense for there to be the immediate crisis and the resolution of it and that to be separate from the lore, and you can write a plot if you want where details in the lore are important to the resolution of the plot, but you can also not. It could have been the case - if literally any part of the plot was handled well - that you can put together a pretty good story about just the dynamics between Bayonetta, Jeanne and Viola as they fight an existential war across the multiverse and what they all mean to eachother and what they learn from the alternate versions of yourselves, and where how there came to be a big universe-eating guy is just an incidental detail that doesn't really matter. And I mean of course they failed to do this, spectacularly, but I don't think it was a mistake to try.

Fedule fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Dec 3, 2022

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
you’re giving W101 way too much credit but it does have the excuse of its tedious drama being appropriate for the material it’s homaging

no datalogs either

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
My opinion of it is high, and others' might not be, but without question it's night and day from all their other original plots before and since. Also it has a ton of datalogs, which cover a whole bunch of information outside the plot.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the only good platinum games plot is metal gear rising

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Endorph posted:

Counterpoint: Vanquish had a plot point about San Francisco getting destroyed

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Endorph posted:

Yeah but they had an actual world to build from. Doesn't count! Whenever they aren't doing something like Transformers or Rising their plots are mostly rear end.

Speaking of how should I play W101? I have the Wii U version on my shelf since release, is it better than the recent ports? Or am I not missing out on the touch stuff and second screen stuff at all buying on steam or something?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

RBX posted:

Yeah but they had an actual world to build from. Doesn't count! Whenever they aren't doing something like Transformers or Rising their plots are mostly rear end.

Speaking of how should I play W101? I have the Wii U version on my shelf since release, is it better than the recent ports? Or am I not missing out on the touch stuff and second screen stuff at all buying on steam or something?

the tablet adds nothing, you can manage it just as easily with the analog sticks. the switch version doesn't run well (as usual) but there's nothing egregiously wrong with the remaster

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

RBX posted:

Definitely get the remaster. The PS version notably has one neat feature - you can use the touchpad to move the subscreen around with the touchpad (I think this also works on the PC version if you use a PS controller). Also the loading times are goddamn instantaneous in comparison to WiiU. Also there are a few tiny quality of life changes like how you no longer get penalised for retrying the side-missions. Also there's DLC but I've not checked that out.

Also make sure to play with a knowledgeable friend in easy reach, because the game absolutely sucks at explaining important features. At least in the remaster they added a popup that's like "we are literally begging you to buy the block and dodge" but it's a completely straight port otherwise. Probably quite a few people itt can give you some newb trap advice.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Oh ok cool. I'm also a huge Sentai so the game should be perfect for me, i've just been putting it off for no reason. W101 and Astral Chain are the last Platinum games I need to beat. Then I can move on to AA Action games like Ultra Age and Soulstice.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

UP AND ADAM posted:

And wtf was that fairy king poo poo that appeared out of nowhere and disappeared into nowehere

It really feels like huge amounts of Luka and Viola's story got cut for time or something. They just feel so unimportant to the actual main conflict of the game until the very end.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

W101 remaster on pc is probably the best version but be sure to use 1080p resolution, anything higher causes camera issues at a couple points

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

They're really making a whole rear end separate game to try to salvage that absolute flaming trainwreck of a story?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jack Trades posted:

They're really making a whole rear end separate game to try to salvage that absolute flaming trainwreck of a story?

Yeah I have to say there is nothing I want less than a game exploring the origin of Luka and Bayonetta's romance which has no actual Bayonetta gameplay.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
When I saw screenshots I thought it’d control like W101 and got excited but the actual gameplay seems pretty tame

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

hatty posted:

When I saw screenshots I thought it’d control like W101 and got excited but the actual gameplay seems pretty tame

If you played the storybook demo in B3 th at seems to be what they are going for.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I guess I'll hold off on full judgement til it's out but it seems kinda fucky to release another full priced game less than a year after the last bayo, spin off or not. I have no faith in their storytelling at this point and they sure are making another Cereza based game after being "finished with the character".

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
the biggest question on my mind: who asked for this

who was banging down Platinum's door begging for a child Bayonetta game

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Cereza was a fun character in the first game. I'm not about to play this though.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I might be willing to give it a shot if it's DLC priced, but they are absolutely bugfuck insane if they think I'm paying full price for a spinoff story from a game with a notably awful story.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
New off screen footage of the Wonderful 101 kickstarter DLC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSaLK_coLpw

Looks okay I guess

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I am tormented by Lukas

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Big Bayonetta 3 patch dropped, mostly focused on fixing Viola

Here are the patch notes

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
gently caress them!!

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

A patch for an action game??? Nice! Too bad they've patched Rodin and now I can't cheese him.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Is Stranger of Paradise any good?
I don't give a poo poo about Final Fantasy but I do like the idea of replicating the FF14: Shadowbringers trailer in gameplay form, but also the game seems to run and look like absolute garbage.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

In PC it looks fun. On console it looks like poop.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

If you have a PS4 there's a massive demo. I enjoyed it and will probably pick it up on sale if it ever goes down to 30. It felt very Nioh 2, albeit with some other stuff in place of the stamina system and less combo flexibility.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
It plays fine on PS4 pro and PS5. The combat is really addicting and has a satisfying feel to it.

The loot system is garbage but you can mostly ignore it.

It has a very good ending.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

hatty posted:

Big Bayonetta 3 patch dropped, mostly focused on fixing Viola

Here are the patch notes

Call me when they patch in a new ending Mass Effect 3 style

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

I don't give a poo poo about Final Fantasy but I do like the idea of replicating the FF14: Shadowbringers trailer in gameplay form, but also the game seems to run and look like absolute garbage.

its nioh with magic sekiro parries.

ReVerve
Jul 13, 2001

Select and make your first pick.

Biscuit Hider

Jack Trades posted:

It's good at some things and not at others like anything else. What are you looking to get out of an action game? Don't ask if its good since only you can answer that, ask how much it does the things you might like.

My Good:
Game feel is great, pretty similar to Nioh if you've tried them. Smooth and responsive as Team Ninja do (This may vary based on platform but I played on PC).

Job system aka build a bastard. Kind of like God Hand in that you can assign specific special move to specific commands/strings. So you play with a Job and unlock stuff then assign the skills you like then brutalize freaks as you see fit. I liked doing dempsy rolls and izuna drops but there are a lot of fun skills/synergies to play with.

Boss fights are fun.

Red Parry is great.

Glory kills are fun.

Music is great since it's remixes of FF tracks.

My Bad:
Art direction. Garish is the perfect word to describe it. Certainly not a pretty game to look at but that isn't a big deal to me. I don't care much about how a game looks.

Indifferent:
Loot. Nioh 1 taught me what to do with Team Ninjas loot systems. Most people don't like it for good reasons but I've found what works for me.

Story. Campy trash that can be fun but I care about the story in an action game about as much as I do for a fighting game. Not at all.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Main game is very enjoyable overall and I agree with what others have said.

The postgame content kind of sucks because the balance is absolutely horrible and involves a ton of grinding. Play it to completion and be happy with the dumb goofy adventure and set it aside. Don't buy any of the DLC until you actually try playing the non-DLC endgame, because all the DLC (so far) has been more poorly-balanced endgame content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

SoP post game is horrendous. It's iterative and to play it it's required to play on the max possible difficulty, of which a new one is introduced every dlc. The devs knew this was going to be a problem so they put in a baby mode which gives you unlimited super meter. Except that won't keep you alive, unless you play a specific job which has invincibility using that meter. You have to be wary of anyone that can strip you of your buffs, of which your invincibility is one (like the boss of the first dlc).