Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Beastie posted:

How much top secret access is the VP even allowed? Genuinely curious.

Biden is the former chair of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee and was specifically brought onto the ticket as a counterbalance to Obama's lack of foreign policy experience. So, in Biden's case, a lot. He was in the situation room when Bin Laden was killed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Opening Arguments has covered this extensively — usually the only times people are prosecuted for mishandling classified material is when they do something grossly negligent with it and then try to cover it up or impede returning it. So accidentally taking some home with you (or unintentionally having some on your private email server) is generally not prosecuted. Taking boxes of it, mixing it in with your other stuff, resisting turning it back over to the government, and showing it off to foreign agents, would typically be prosecuted.

Still a pretty bad look for Biden at the moment, though.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

VikingofRock posted:

Opening Arguments has covered this extensively — usually the only times people are prosecuted for mishandling classified material is when they do something grossly negligent with it and then try to cover it up or impede returning it. So accidentally taking some home with you (or unintentionally having some on your private email server) is generally not prosecuted. Taking boxes of it, mixing it in with your other stuff, resisting turning it back over to the government, and showing it off to foreign agents, would typically be prosecuted.

Still a pretty bad look for Biden at the moment, though.

I think another very damaging element of this is that it will now have the look of partisanship if Garland makes the decision to prosecute Trump if the special counsel recommends it. And Garland is over the top sensitive to looking partisan so it may affect his decision and Trump will get away with it.

I mean the Republicans would have been yelling about it being partisan anyway, but now they have some ammunition even though like others have said the 2 situations are vastly different.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

BDawg posted:

What are the justifications? MTG said anti-Semitic Jewish laser things?

Omar is because she said anti-Semitic things?

You're vastly overthinking it with Omar.

It's "she's a muslim and thus a security risk because all muslims are terrorists".

The others are petty revenge.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Jaxyon posted:

It's "she's a muslim and thus a security risk because all muslims are terrorists".

If it was purely her being Muslim, then wouldn't Rashida Tlaib and André Carson also be losing their committee assignments? André Carson was even on the House Intelligence Committee, and his name hasn't come up, from what I can tell.

Not saying her religion isn't relevant to their disregard for her, but it seems like you're oversimplifying a bit.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Republicans and lovely Democrats insist Omar is anti-Semitic.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
I mean let's be honest there is no justification, it's just retaliation for the house doing the correct thing two years ago.

Grater
Jul 11, 2001
Might seem like a nice guy, but cross me once...

Sir Kodiak posted:

If it was purely her being Muslim, then wouldn't Rashida Tlaib and André Carson also be losing their committee assignments? André Carson was even on the House Intelligence Committee, and his name hasn't come up, from what I can tell.

Not saying her religion isn't relevant to their disregard for her, but it seems like you're oversimplifying a bit.
I'm 100% convinced it's because she wears a headscarf so they are scared of her. Tlaib and Carson don't look as foreign and so it doesn't tickle their lizard brain in the same way.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Charliegrs posted:

The records were taken when Biden was vice president. Theyve been in that office for years.

But anyway, is there not like an inventory of classified records that is regularly maintained? Like can't someone look at the inventory and compare it to what's actually physically being held where it's supposed to be so they can tell if stuff is missing? It seems like our most sensitive documents have less inventory control than what Walmart has with their TVs.

Inventoring classified information as a larger inventory would, well, defeat the classification, you know.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Xombie posted:

Biden is the former chair of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee and was specifically brought onto the ticket as a counterbalance to Obama's lack of foreign policy experience. So, in Biden's case, a lot. He was in the situation room when Bin Laden was killed.

The President, and VP, have basically access to what they want. The VP just as much as the President wants. The presidents, like Senators and Representatives, do not have a security clearance. Their popular election is their clearance to access information.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Grater posted:

I'm 100% convinced it's because she wears a headscarf so they are scared of her. Tlaib and Carson don't look as foreign and so it doesn't tickle their lizard brain in the same way.

This plus she's an immigrant, so she's a scary furrener taking good American legislative jobs.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
The actual reason they are giving for kicking Omar off is her very poorly phrased comments from a few years ago that Israelis and AIPAC were "all about the Benjamins" and implying that rich Jews have bought out the American government.

She eventually apologized for it and it was very poorly phrased, but it was also taken out of context to attack her. She was talking about lobbyists specifically, but obviously the whole "wealthy Jews control the government" thing was right there for everyone to grab in bad faith.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jan 10, 2023

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The actual reason they are giving for kicking Omar off is her very poorly phrased comments from a few years that Israelis and AIPAC were "all about the Benjamins" and implying that rich Jews have bought out the American government.

She eventually apologized for it and it was very poorly phrased, but it was also taken in bad faith to attack her.

Ah, so she said what a lot of Republicans *think* and therefore intolerable?

EDIT: Except she didn't mean ((( global bankers ))).

Twincityhacker fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jan 10, 2023

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

No offense but it seems weird to try to brainstorm the racist reason they're removing her from the committee when the answer is that she's a Democrat who is easy to attack due to this:

The actual reason they are giving for kicking Omar off is her very poorly phrased comments from a few years ago that Israelis and AIPAC were "all about the Benjamins" and implying that rich Jews have bought out the American government.

She eventually apologized for it and it was very poorly phrased, but it was also taken out of context to attack her. She was talking about lobbyists specifically, but obviously the whole "wealthy Jews control the government" thing was right there for everyone to grab in bad faith.

They're removing her for her politics more than any superficial racist poo poo. There's a lot of racism tied into it but no one needs to read people brainstorming exactly which really racist hypothetical it is that inspired the Republicans.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Sir Kodiak posted:

You think bigots are consistent? They are not.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

MLMs are very much not limited to a specific subset, unfortunately. There is definitely an overrepresentation of Republican women because many of them specifically target religious (especially Mormon and Evangelical) women who are stay at home moms with the idea that they can earn extra money while still not violating the rule about working outside the home.

But, there are subgenres of MLMs for every niche from exercise, to tech, and everything else you can think of that target different subgroups. Herbalife is targeting non-English speakers and most of their growth is there.

The Obama admin did some small crackdowns on MLMs and I think the idea that they are mostly a scam has permeated the public consciousness, so they are growing much more slowly than before, but they are still growing and present in pretty much every demographic to some level.

Right, I just meant the people at the top and the thought process they cultivate are almost entirely 100% consertvative GPO ghouls and that the way go about things is a circle if was a ven diagram

fizzy
Dec 2, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rigel posted:

This has been a very satisfying day thus far. Some evil rear end in a top hat is eventually going to be the speaker of the house, but it will not be McCarthy. His complete, total, and utter cowardice on 1/6 will not be rewarded.

The modern Cassandra of our time.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

VikingofRock posted:

Most mishandling is somebody doing it accidentally in the course of their job, and the NSA very much wants people to go "I screwed this up, please help me fix it" when they realize it instead of trying to pretend it never happened.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1612990784759894018

Surely they limited it to the members of the Republican caucus in the rules package?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

WWE was going bankrupt because Vince McMahon was treating women horribly and cooking the books to cover up millions in hush money payment he paid them out of the company funds.

They have now found a new owner to fix their image problem of not treating women well.

https://twitter.com/SMuehlhausenJr/status/1613014122517655552

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

It was hilarious that within like two days of her saying that AIPAC had an ad campaign wanting to get donations to help them out and prove her wrong for saying AIPAC, a lobbying group, is all about money.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

WWE has apparently reinstated Vince McMahon as CEO right before they are planning on being sold to Saudi Arabia and taking the company private. Lmao.

Just getting Saudi Arabia to cover his millions in sexual assault lawsuits and then putting him back in charge. Vince is shameless, lucky, and a terrible person.

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1613044409473302529

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Jan 11, 2023

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

WWE has apparently reinstated Vince McMahon as CEO right before they are planning on being sold to Saudi Arabia and taking the company private. Lmao.

Just getting Saudi Arabia to cover his millions in sexual assault lawsuits and then putting him back in charge. Vince is shameless, lucky, and a terrible person.

The character played by Vince McMahon in the WWE who shares his name and likeness is somehow less of a cartoonish utter bastard than the actual Vincent Kennedy McMahon.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Charlz Guybon posted:

Surely they limited it to the members of the Republican caucus in the rules package?

Also god, please let them have been THIS stupid and left it open to literally any single member of Congress so every loving time the House is gavelled into session the day starts with a ritualistic attempt to overthrow Kevin McCarthy as the first order of business. Because that dumb motherfucker deserves it.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The next Crown Jewel gonna be lit

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Charlz Guybon posted:

I guess they didn't, and don't call me Shirley.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Every failson Saudi prince is going to get an opportunity to powerbomb Shamus through a table

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
This means that SA now owns WWE Hall of famers as well, giving MBS control over Trump :orb:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
MBS , AKA "Bonesaw" the future undisputed Intercontinental Champion

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

The hard work of Dwayne Johnson's dad finally pays off

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

WWE was going bankrupt because Vince McMahon was treating women horribly and cooking the books to cover up millions in hush money payment he paid them out of the company funds.

They have now found a new owner to fix their image problem of not treating women well.

Hush money, yes, but going bankrupt, it was not. The payments were a penance compared to what they make.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

GoutPatrol posted:

Hush money, yes, but going bankrupt, it was not. The payments were a penance compared to what they make.

A pittance you mean? I suppose both

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
I wonder what they found out that convinced them to throw him under the bus?

https://twitter.com/duty2warn/status/1613016648574996482

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Failed Imagineer posted:

A pittance you mean? I suppose both

I blame autocorrect.

I don't think Vince understands repenting anything

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
When people say "it's all a grift" it really is. This is in regards to that ridiculous "wall" of shipping containers Ducey constructed in Arizona and now has to take back down because the Biden administration sued.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/stink-duceys-200-million-shipping-190416416.html

quote:

It’s bad enough that former Gov. Doug Ducey’s silly container wall on the border – the one on which migrants posed as they hopped over it and slipped through it – cost the state more than $100 million to build. Bad enough that it’s costing us another $100 million, just a few months later, to take the thing down and haul it away. But you know what’s just plain sad?

Ducey apparently couldn’t find any Arizona company capable of doing the work. Instead, the Ducey administration brought in a Florida disaster management company to do the work – one that donated (illegally) to a pro-Trump super PAC. One that snagged the job in a no-bid contract.

quote:

AshBritt Management & Logistics illegally contributed $500,000 to the pro-Trump America First Action PAC in 2018. The money eventually was refunded and the company fined $125,000, as the law bars federal contractors like AshBritt – the company at the time had a $40 million contract with the Department of Defense – from contributing to political committees. Meanwhile, the AshBritt Foundation made a $10,000 charitable contribution to The Mar-a-Lago Club in 2019.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Jaxyon posted:

Yeah, it is just giving their evil piece of poo poo supporters what they want - punishing minorities.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Agents are GO! posted:

I guess they didn't, and don't call me Shirley.
I really want to believe that Democrats are smart enough to see that irresistible, shiny, red button being far more advantageous to them if they ignore it and leave it for Republicans to use and hang their own necks.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

https://twitter.com/SMuehlhausenJr/status/1613014122517655552

They were never even close to at risk at going bankrupt.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Gumball Gumption posted:

They were never even close to at risk at going bankrupt.

Yeah, I was probably overstating that.

I just meant that the company was in real trouble recently with potentially more than a billion dollars in fines and lawsuits from the shareholders, the women Vince harassed and paid out, an anti-trust lawsuit, a gender discrimination lawsuit, a lawsuit from former wrestlers about forcing them to perform with brain damage and other injuries, federal investigations into securities fraud, a lawsuit from a major firm alleging that the board had breached their fiduciary duties, a lawsuit for violating the ADA, and a lawsuit from MLW all happening at once.

Edit: Also, somehow forgot the multiple federal investigations - both criminal and a civil one from the SEC. I'm probably still forgetting some other ones. It was basically an avalanche of lawsuits and investigations in the last year or so.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Jan 11, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Charlz Guybon posted:

I wonder what they found out that convinced them to throw him under the bus?

https://twitter.com/duty2warn/status/1613016648574996482

Does this imply that he was already confronted privately with whatever this is and he decided not to resign? I wouldn’t get my hopes up unless it’s something completely new. Couldn’t it just be them pointing out all the lies he’s already told?