Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Dr. Quarex posted:

Important wrestling question, does a foreign entity have to abide by American labor laws when firing Sami Zayn for being the wrong nationality? Err wait, what is my question?

I have only a baseline understanding of things but it would be pretty fun if this somehow led to professional wrestlers no longer being independent contractors

The person or entity that owns a company and the company itself are two separate things (unless someone has hosed up tremendously). A company incorporated in America has to abide by American labor laws no matter who owns it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Dr. Quarex posted:

Important wrestling question, does a foreign entity have to abide by American labor laws when firing Sami Zayn for being the wrong nationality? Err wait, what is my question?

I have only a baseline understanding of things but it would be pretty fun if this somehow led to professional wrestlers no longer being independent contractors
thats not how any of it works and wwe can fire sami for any/no reason at all

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Dr. Quarex posted:

If they’re doing business in America then their America-based entities need to abide by American rules, however you’re also forgetting that as contractors they can be canned whenever they want for no reason at all as they frequently are, and there’s absolutely no reason at all to assume they’d become employees now because that has nothing to do with anything.

History Comes Inside! fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Jan 11, 2023

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

El Gallinero Gros posted:

If you had any sort of inside info on booking decisions you could make some easy money

I’ve thought this before, but then I thought: how many people would know, with absolute 100% certainty, what the result of a match is going to be? What would be the minimum, assuming said people don’t blab about it? The Booker, The workers, the road agent, the referee, is that it? Commentary?

On a related note: is it true that the only people who knew Brock was breaking the streak was Taker, Brock and Vince?

Answers Me fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Jan 11, 2023

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Answers Me posted:

I’ve thought this before, but then I thought: how money people would know, with absolute 100% certainty, what the result of a match is going to be? What would be the answer, assuming said people don’t blab about it? The Booker, The workers, the road agent, the referee, is that it? Commentary?

On a related note: is it true that the only people who knew Brock was breaking the streak was Taker, Brock and Vince?

I believe Heyman knew also?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

JOHN CENA posted:

thats not how any of it works and wwe can fire sami for any/no reason at all

Mostly because of the whole “independent contractor” status right?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I mean most any company in America can fire you for no reason (they can't fire you for an explicitly illegal reason, but they can get around that by just going "No Reason" instead), WWE is just extra stupid since they don't consider their workers actual employees and no one short of Brock Lesnar is willing to waste the money to challenge that notion

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

harperdc posted:

Mostly because of the whole “independent contractor” status right?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/At-will_employment

In short, the US doesn't need a reason.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
WWE wrestlers are employees who, because the WWE spent a lot of money on lawyers, are classified as independent contractors and not employees. Unless they do something like write a letter to Bianca Belair saying "Bianca, we're firing you because you're a black woman and we hate black people and women" they can get away with treating their not-employees pretty much however they want.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Yeah Halloween Jack covered what I was originally getting at, as the Saudis have seemingly openly confirmed that Sami Zayn is not allowed to be on their shows due to either his religion or nationality (not sure which but they are both protected) and so I was just wondering what would happen if they were like "first order of business, NO SYRIANS"

As for wrestlers becoming employees, I did not mean WWE would change anything, just that I will be interested to see if this whole thing (well, if it happens) might lead to a fresh round of wondering why in the world these obvious employees are not employees

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Dr. Quarex posted:

Yeah Halloween Jack covered what I was originally getting at, as the Saudis have seemingly openly confirmed that Sami Zayn is not allowed to be on their shows due to either his religion or nationality (not sure which but they are both protected) and so I was just wondering what would happen if they were like "first order of business, NO SYRIANS"

As for wrestlers becoming employees, I did not mean WWE would change anything, just that I will be interested to see if this whole thing (well, if it happens) might lead to a fresh round of wondering why in the world these obvious employees are not employees

That’s the point about them being contractors though, they don’t have to go “gently caress off Sami Zayn we don’t want you here because you’re Syrian”, they can just say “gently caress off Sami Zayn we don’t want you here” and achieve the exact same result without getting sued or any kind of hassle whatsoever.

They don’t need to give a reason. They can just fire whatever wrestler they want whenever they like out of absolutely nowhere unless they have some kind of no-cuts clause in their specific contract.

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I wonder if the Saudis will ever try to use the old budget cuts line

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

They will avoid saying cuts at all costs

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
lmao

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Sami will be cut because they want a more professional product not guys wrestling in t-shirts like this is the indies.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

MassRafTer posted:

Sami will be cut because they want a more professional product not guys wrestling in t-shirts like this is the indies.

Gonna be awkward for Flair's 5th final match, then.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Gaz-L posted:

Gonna be awkward for Flair's 5th final match, then.

He and Hogan will be in rash guards not t-shirts because they respect the business.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.
Are there any good wrestling games for the steam deck? Seems like the latest fire pro was from 2017 and I’m not sure if there is anything better out there

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo
you've got Fire Pro and Wrestling Empire, which are each the best game for totally opposite reasons

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Nystral posted:

Are there any good wrestling games for the steam deck? Seems like the latest fire pro was from 2017 and I’m not sure if there is anything better out there

No Mercy definitely.

I dont know enough about the smackdown games to recommend them or not.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Gambit from the X-Men posted:

you've got Fire Pro and Wrestling Empire, which are each the best game for totally opposite reasons

TIL MDickie is a thing 20 years after I last played the games.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Nystral posted:

Fire Pro would still be it. AEW’s game is still TBC for release date, but it should hopefully be this year, should be for Windows too.

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
Anybody know what were the plans for Diesel's reign before Vince got pissed at the dogshit match he had against Bulldog?

Numero6 fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jan 12, 2023

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Is there any footage of that match? All I’ve ever heard is that Vince lost his mind afterwards

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
Whole thing's on YouTube, here you go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azEac30lPBE

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Now I'm remembering an interview with Nash about winning the title from Backlund. Paraphrasing, "Are you sure you want to do that...I mean you just pushed Backlund for months...I should probably stop arguing this"

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Why was it that they acknowledged the allegations against Lawler on screen in '93 but haven't in almost any other instance?

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

Numero6 posted:

Anybody know what were the plans for Diesel's reign before Vince got pissed at the dogshit match he had against Bulldog?

Wasn't he already like 8 months into his reign when he wrestled the British Bulldog?

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Wasn't he already like 8 months into his reign when he wrestled the British Bulldog?

Ya but Vince got pissed off at their match and decided Bret would get the title.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Bret was already lined up to face the winner of Bulldog/Diesel at Survivor Series. By this point it was obvious that the long game was to put the title on Shawn at Wrestlemania 12 but I am not sure if it would have been Diesel holding it until the or if Bret was always scheduled to be a transitional champ.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Diesel and Shawn had that really great IYH match where Mad Dog Vachon's leg got used as a weapon. Would have been an interesting WM12 main event if Diesel's title reign hadn't been so horrendous.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

my friends and i were watching old wwf and were talking: was Dead Man era Taker a babyface or a heel? He was generally portrayed as a "bad guy" and Paul Bearer did heel stuff like interference in a match. But he was also wildly over and the crowd always cheered him on. He said heel, I argued babyface, he argued heel

Or is a pointless argument because the babyface/heel thing wasn't as prominent in WWF like it was in the territory days

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Taker was pretty much cheered from the time he turned on Jake the Snake so it's hard to consider him a heel for that run IMO.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

He was heel at first and definitely baby face by the time the inside of his coat was an American flag

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Thanks everyone!

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
During the buildup to the match, was there much speculation that Jericho might actually retire with his ‘career on the line’ match against MJF in 2021, or was it just assumed that he’d win? It’s crazy to think now, considering the run he’s been on since

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Answers Me posted:

During the buildup to the match, was there much speculation that Jericho might actually retire with his ‘career on the line’ match against MJF in 2021, or was it just assumed that he’d win? It’s crazy to think now, considering the run he’s been on since

I dont remember it being entirely out of the realm of possibility that hed be doing a long vacation as that feud felt a lot like a gold watch jericho run leading up to putting over mjf in a huge way.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
There were a few people who thought he might because he talked a lot in the year prior about doing commentary after he retired. So him being on Rampage commentary made people think he might actually retire with his original contract being due. But not many. There were more people who thought it was a sign he was winding down and this was a first step, but that looks like a nope too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

MassRafTer posted:

There were a few people who thought he might because he talked a lot in the year prior about doing commentary after he retired. So him being on Rampage commentary made people think he might actually retire with his original contract being due. But not many. There were more people who thought it was a sign he was winding down and this was a first step, but that looks like a nope too.

i hope it's a nope because the last 6 months have been some of my favourite matches of his ever!