Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Charlz Guybon posted:

I wonder what they found out that convinced them to throw him under the bus?

https://twitter.com/duty2warn/status/1613016648574996482

This twitter account definitely looks like a conspiracy theory account. Surprisingly enough, it looks like this news is true, but I beg you to never get any of your news from a Twitter account that is not associated with any news source and has a weird cropped screenshot as its "source".

As far as the story itself, it's just the local GOP party. Until the national Republican party starts speaking out/taking action, Santos won't have to worry about being forced out of office.

Kalit fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Jan 11, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Can't do anything about an elected congressman, but you will need to start fundraising for 2024 and it's better to distance yourself from the rotten egg as much as you can to assure donors that it won't happen again?

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Yeah, I was probably overstating that.

I just meant that the company was in real trouble recently with potentially more than a billion dollars in fines and lawsuits from the shareholders, the women Vince harassed and paid out, an anti-trust lawsuit, a gender discrimination lawsuit, a lawsuit from former wrestlers about forcing them to perform with brain damage and other injuries, federal investigations into securities fraud, a lawsuit from a major firm alleging that the board had breached their fiduciary duties, a lawsuit for violating the ADA, and a lawsuit from MLW all happening at once.

Edit: Also, somehow forgot the multiple federal investigations - both criminal and a civil one from the SEC. I'm probably still forgetting some other ones. It was basically an avalanche of lawsuits and investigations in the last year or so.

Uhhhh, yeah whatever that's close enough to correct for you. The MLW lawsuit is the anti-trust one and the concussion/injuries one pretty much has nowhere to go at this point.

Really it's all less about the company being in trouble and more about Vince McMahon losing the reins. He forced himself back into the board since he was majority share holder to set up the deal, the company is now going private, and he's likely taking back day to day operations. He found himself a buyer to own his company while he pretends he's still the owner. It's probably going to be very funny. This is probably also a blessing for a lot of people involved in WWE right now as a public company if they do take it private again.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Nenonen posted:

Can't do anything about an elected congressman, but you will need to start fundraising for 2024 and it's better to distance yourself from the rotten egg as much as you can to assure donors that it won't happen again?

If he's not forced to resign by the national party, I'd be shocked if the local GOP party still opposes him in 6 months. Or if any previous donors even remembers/cares about this.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Yeah, I was probably overstating that.

I just meant that the company was in real trouble recently with potentially more than a billion dollars in fines and lawsuits from the shareholders, the women Vince harassed and paid out, an anti-trust lawsuit, a gender discrimination lawsuit, a lawsuit from former wrestlers about forcing them to perform with brain damage and other injuries, federal investigations into securities fraud, a lawsuit from a major firm alleging that the board had breached their fiduciary duties, a lawsuit for violating the ADA, and a lawsuit from MLW all happening at once.

Edit: Also, somehow forgot the multiple federal investigations - both criminal and a civil one from the SEC. I'm probably still forgetting some other ones. It was basically an avalanche of lawsuits and investigations in the last year or so.
I think it's less "the company was in real trouble and needs Vince back" and more "Vince was in real trouble, resigned, and now has decided he doesn't care and wants to be back." I don't think most of what you listed are active investigations/lawsuits, and the active ones are overwhelming Vince-related:

The shareholder lawsuits/complaints were about a) Vince's hush money payments and b) delays in payments for the Saudi shows, both of which had been resolved as of last month by Vince resigning and KSA paying them eventually.
The new lawsuits for sexual harassment/assault were going after Vince as an individual, not WWE as a company.
The antitrust lawsuit was filed a year ago and has some legs potentially, WWE is currently trying to stop discovery on it. That is the MLW lawsuit
I can't find any gender discrimination lawsuit on the books outside of some wrestlers talking about filing one almost ten years ago.
The CTE cases have all been dismissed/settled over the years, and the ADA case was settled in 2020.

There may well be some SEC investigations and shareholder/firm issues, but again, those are pretty much 100% about Vince McMahon's misappropriating funds for hush money, not anything else. And throughout all of this they're seeing record profits. I think everyone not named Vince McMahon was happy to let everything continue along with financial success and not creating any new scandals (the MLW case is ongoing but again, was filed before Vince left) is not in response to bankruptcy, falling share prices, falling profits, or anything other than "Vince McMahon decided he wanted to come back, forced his way back when the board said no, and is probably selling/going private with KSA money because they don't care what Vince gets up to in the way that shareholders/Comcast/Fox/etc. might (might)."

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Also none of it is official yet for the sale and a couple people have walked back their scoops. The original tweet Leon posted is gone. Anyways this is it for Gumball talking wrestling here instead of PSP.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Edge & Christian posted:

I think it's less "the company was in real trouble and needs Vince back" and more "Vince was in real trouble, resigned, and now has decided he doesn't care and wants to be back." I don't think most of what you listed are active investigations/lawsuits, and the active ones are overwhelming Vince-related:

The shareholder lawsuits/complaints were about a) Vince's hush money payments and b) delays in payments for the Saudi shows, both of which had been resolved as of last month by Vince resigning and KSA paying them eventually.
The new lawsuits for sexual harassment/assault were going after Vince as an individual, not WWE as a company.
The antitrust lawsuit was filed a year ago and has some legs potentially, WWE is currently trying to stop discovery on it. That is the MLW lawsuit
I can't find any gender discrimination lawsuit on the books outside of some wrestlers talking about filing one almost ten years ago.
The CTE cases have all been dismissed/settled over the years, and the ADA case was settled in 2020.

There may well be some SEC investigations and shareholder/firm issues, but again, those are pretty much 100% about Vince McMahon's misappropriating funds for hush money, not anything else. And throughout all of this they're seeing record profits. I think everyone not named Vince McMahon was happy to let everything continue along with financial success and not creating any new scandals (the MLW case is ongoing but again, was filed before Vince left) is not in response to bankruptcy, falling share prices, falling profits, or anything other than "Vince McMahon decided he wanted to come back, forced his way back when the board said no, and is probably selling/going private with KSA money because they don't care what Vince gets up to in the way that shareholders/Comcast/Fox/etc. might (might)."

Thanks for the great post. You're right. I was conflating "Vince McMahon" with "the company." Although, if this all does go through and he ends up in back in charge of a new private WWE, then it looks like Vince really does effectively have control over the company and is practically untouchable by everyone else in the organization. He initially had to go because of all those lawsuits and investigations, but it ultimately doesn't really matter if he can force himself back in as CEO and get bailed out by the Saudis.

Gumball Gumption posted:

Also none of it is official yet for the sale and a couple people have walked back their scoops. The original tweet Leon posted is gone. Anyways this is it for Gumball talking wrestling here instead of PSP.

Feel free to keep posting. That is really interesting. I don't know much about the internal drama at the WWE outside of the recent news articles about it. And they generally just provide a brief overview and a list of pending litigation. All the extra context and specifics really helps.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Also, the original scoop said it was already sold to Saudi Arabia. But, a different wrestling journalist has said that they have an "agreement in principle," but have not yet actually sold because there are requirements to notify shareholders and the SEC prior to selling. The company is still public as of now.

https://twitter.com/Casshooole/status/1613045348930289671

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Genuinely can't imagine why Mike Pence thinks this is a good idea.

https://twitter.com/costareports/status/1613146598929752064

Even if he gets some kind of ideal black swan scenario where Trump actually bombs with the Republican primary electorate, DeSantis doesn't run, and all the last-minute "savior" candidates like Ted Cruz or Mitt Romney decide not to run, I have to believe that Pence would still crash and burn.

About 40% of the base hates him and he's not so overwhelmingly popular that he is going to lock up nearly all of the other 60%.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

He’s probably not even going to make the top 3 of a 2024 primary

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

FlamingLiberal posted:

He’s probably definitely not even going to make the top 3 of a 2024 primary

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Doesn't a large chunk of his potential voters still want to hang him?

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Does this mean that Hulk/9-11 meme will now be canon?

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Genuinely can't imagine why Mike Pence thinks this is a good idea.

https://twitter.com/costareports/status/1613146598929752064

Even if he gets some kind of ideal black swan scenario where Trump actually bombs with the Republican primary electorate, DeSantis doesn't run, and all the last-minute "savior" candidates like Ted Cruz or Mitt Romney decide not to run, I have to believe that Pence would still crash and burn.

About 40% of the base hates him and he's not so overwhelmingly popular that he is going to lock up nearly all of the other 60%.

Running for office is probably very lucrative? You don't even need to win to come out fairly wealthy.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Shammypants posted:

Running for office is probably very lucrative? You don't even need to win to come out fairly wealthy.

It's very lucrative if you can parlay the notoriety into something else afterwards.

You don't get to keep any of your campaign contributions. And presidential campaign finance accounts are much more highly scrutinized for shenanigans.

You can pay to fly yourself around and stay in hotels while campaigning and you can maybe funnel a tiny amount of money in residuals back to yourself by writing a book and then buying 10k copies to give out. But, that's not really a great return on investment.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I mean anybody who actually makes it to Governor/VP/that general level is probably a little narcissistic or whatever right? He probably still thinks he's a Man Of Destiny so he is required to be out there on that stage. It's fate. It's God's Plan, whatever you want to say.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
"I'm going to put myself in front of the Republican electorate!", says man who the Republican electorate tried to execute

Timmy Age 6
Jul 23, 2011

Lobster says "mrow?"

Ramrod XTreme
I've read a few articles on the subject and even the people who are nominally Pence's "allies" or confidants have all been saying "we have no idea what Mike thinks his lane is or how he thinks there's a viable path for him." I think the God's Plan mindset is probably the best explanation.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Timmy Age 6 posted:

I've read a few articles on the subject and even the people who are nominally Pence's "allies" or confidants have all been saying "we have no idea what Mike thinks his lane is or how he thinks there's a viable path for him." I think the God's Plan mindset is probably the best explanation.
I mean Mike Pompeo is also talking about running and he can’t even get a blurb for his terrible book from anyone

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Timmy Age 6 posted:

I mean he was picked to shore up the evangelical vote so in his mind he might think he can pick them off and once the American people see the calm leadership he brings he will gain momentum.

It's crazy and ludicrous to think since he doesn't realize the Evangelical movement doesn't care but you know.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Mooseontheloose posted:

I mean he was picked to shore up the evangelical vote so in his mind he might think he can pick them off and once the American people see the calm leadership he brings he will gain momentum.

It's crazy and ludicrous to think since he doesn't realize the Evangelical movement doesn't care but you know.

Could be a true believer whack job convinced God's hand has been guiding him and wants him to do this blah blah. That's how I interpret such an idiotic move at least.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Mooseontheloose posted:

He's also likely using the thinking that "anything could happen" after Trump winning and Biden being resurrected off one win. It's crazy thinking and fundamentally fails to understand why we've been on a bit of a Chaos Reigns kick since we took that escalator to hell. However given his firm belief in insane fundy god is in control/on my sideism, his noted lack of intelligence, and the RESISTANCE support he got after doing the right thing one time in his life, you can see the very wrong and stupid logic chain that he's hanging the conclusion that he should run on.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Seems like Santos once again stepped on the rake of messing with otherr ich people's money/ROI/political soft power money influence.

but the GOP-e isnt going to do anything, theyre not going to make their thin margins worse.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
also lol at the GOP being the combo of being loyal locksteppers AND backstabbing mofos that will clown car a primary again

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Timmy Age 6 posted:

It's weird, this is likely one of the few people who actually spent time over the holiday waiting for god to speak to him or some such poo poo.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
maybe he was at least doing it in a drunk stupor while watching something.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
I am probably missing something by not tracking right wing media very often, but it seems like Biden's classified document mixup hasn't really blown up. Am I being overly optimistic? Is this too early in the normal scandal life/death cycle?

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Eric Cantonese posted:

I am probably missing something by not tracking right wing media very often, but it seems like Biden's classified document mixup hasn't really blown up. Am I being overly optimistic? Is this too early in the normal scandal life/death cycle?

Maybe it's because I don't pay attention to TV News anymore but at least on Twitter it doesn't seem like it's caught fire the way "but her emails" did

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
There was an attempt but I think it died down because it just made Trump look even worse with even a casual reading of it.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Mike Pence going after that all-important Lincoln Project demographic.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

The Pence/Sinema ticket will unify the reasonable center of both parties in true maverick unity and win, probably.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Eric Cantonese posted:

It's probably just too early, but I'm hoping that it's more because of how both people handled their respective incidents.

Biden: Immediately returned the documents on learning of their existence

Trump: Did literally everything but Immediately return them.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
if you think that documents thing is going anywhere real you should probably cut back on the "monitoring" right wing media

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
The only thing I've seen even the chuddiest friends-of-friends able to bring up about it is "Why wasn't this made public immediately? They conspired to bury it until after the midterms!"

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery
It's going to be very hard to get the debate topic of "why does the current sitting President of the United States possess classified documents?" to take off outside of the most dedicated corners of the chudosphere.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Cheesus posted:

I really want to believe that Democrats are smart enough to see that irresistible, shiny, red button being far more advantageous to them if they ignore it and leave it for Republicans to use and hang their own necks.

Yes, because if there's one thing we've all learned about politics, it's that republicans will absolutely never :f5: the hell out of that button and then campaign on promising not to be button-mashers like the Dems were.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Timmy Age 6 posted:

Maybe he thinks Trump will be charged with something bad enough that he'll be able to rebrand as a #Resistance hero who fought to restrain Trump? Maybe he thinks he can run as the successor to Trump's legacy? Maybe he thinks he can thread the needle as a compromise between those two factions?

Sure, his chances look dicey no matter which path he chooses. But he obviously really wants to be president. And if he doesn't at least give it a shot, then having suffered through four years as Trump's VP would have been for nothing.

Eric Cantonese posted:

It was never likely to attract much notice outside of the right-wing outrage-o-sphere. The big issue with Trump wasn't that he took files, it was his reluctance to fully cooperate with authorities when they found out.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
The level of self-delusion you'd need to be a True Believer wealthy Evangelical is compatible with the level you'd need to think Pence could get anywhere in the Republican Primary.

Pence wasn't even liked in rural Indiana, which is very much a conservative hellhole.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Gyges posted:

He's also likely using the thinking that "anything could happen" after Trump winning and Biden being resurrected off one win.
And if Pence can find a large group of Republicans almost absent from the earliest states but powerful in many early states that no other viable candidates try to win, he too may be able to replicate Biden's path to victory!

the_steve posted:

Yes, because if there's one thing we've all learned about politics, it's that republicans will absolutely never :f5: the hell out of that button and then campaign on promising not to be button-mashers like the Dems were.
This was pretty clearly arguing that the Dems gain little from turning the inevitable House leadership chaos from Republicans in Disarray to "Partisan dysfunction in Washington"? Not sure where you got... whatever this is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Randalor posted:

It's probably just too early, but I'm hoping that it's more because of how both people handled their respective incidents.

Biden: Immediately returned the documents on learning of their existence

Trump: Did literally everything but Immediately return them.

This. I've seen it repeated here and elsewhere that mishandling classified documents only becomes a major problem if:

1. It was intentional.
2. The individual(s) tried to hide the mishandling.
3. They aren't returned ASAP upon discovery.

Of course there is always nuance - but generally speaking, if you're in a position to mishandle documents, everyone wants you to simply return them and cooperate to make sure nothing else has been removed/retained. If the FBI/NSA go after everyone who does it, intentionally or not, they provide an incentive to hide or destroy the docs.