Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Look consummate liars in the state department are saying that russia is getting arms from north korea and thats good enough for me the pedantic freak that is incredulous of any claim made by asiatics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

If Animels countered my post by saying “I disbelieve the US,” fine, zero issue. He can disbelieve any government he chooses to disbelieve. His counter was that all reporting of the arms sale came from the NYT, which is false. I don’t care if someone disbelieve the infamous US government. I just was correcting his false statement, which shouldn’t be controversial.

Or could be answered with “ok, I still don’t believe.”.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
400 baybeeeeee

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

mlmp08 posted:

That may be fair. So Russia's stance is more "I will sit and talk with you without preconditions. But I am also telling you before we sit down that if you don't agree to my pre-announced condition which you consider unacceptable, we are both wasting our loving time. You better hope that I am lying to you."

Russia would be right to mock Ukraine if Ukraine sat down at the table after Russia's announcement and then Ukraine said "btw, the thing you said you absolutely must have, we won't give." Would be a good way to walk away from talks and just blame Ukraine for being so dumb to show up and demand the exact opposite of what Lavrov is announcing is a deal-breaker.

have you ever followed a peace process

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

V. Illych L. posted:

have you ever followed a peace process

Sure. This kind of posturing and will they won’t they is fairly normal, particularly when the conflict is still considered far from militarily decided/stalemated by both sides of the conflict.

Russia’s claim that Ukraine is unreasonable makes sense from a posturing perspective and the perspective of Russia’s desire to annex 4 oblasts.

Ukraine refusing to sit down just to walk away the second Russia demands 4 oblasts or else also makes sense.

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

It makes sense if you're a coked up leader high on foreign weapons support to artificially extend the conflict as to remain the World's Best Boy for as long as possible.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

i told you, it's the exact same thing

my statement was obviously hyperbolic, but the contention here isn't with these unnamed intelligence officials being cited but with me using the word "all"

also very funny that he countered with an article that cited a nsc spokesperson that also cited unnamed intelligence officials, check out the members of the NSC

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

mlmp08 posted:

If you cannot tell the difference between a newspaper with an unnamed source and a government agency, I cannot help you. The difference is easy. It would be disingenuous for me to conflate Russian independent newspapers with Russian government stances. They're not the same thing.

The appeal to authority fallacy is the logical fallacy of saying a claim is true simply because an authority figure made it. This authority figure could be anyone: an instructor, a politician, a well-known academic, an author, or even an individual with experience related to the claim’s subject. 

The statement itself may be true. A statement’s truthfulness has nothing to do with whether it’s fallacious or not. What makes the appeal to authority a logical fallacy is the lack of evidence provided to support the claim. It follows this format: 

Individual, who is an expert in Y field, says X is true. 

Therefore, X is true. 

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/GlasnostGone/status/1613143220157906945

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Glasnost Gone
@GlasnostGone
I don't like tiny, topless Russian, tin-pot dictators who invade Ukraine

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/visegrad24/status/1613173536339771394

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

AnimeIsTrash posted:

i told you, it's the exact same thing

my statement was obviously hyperbolic, but the contention here isn't with these unnamed intelligence officials being cited but with me using the word "all"

Some of these derails are just:

1. Poster makes an objectively untrue statement.
2. Called on it with evidence.
3. Poster digs in for a page in face of evidence.
4. After the digging in, poster says of course the statement was not factual, that was never the point.

I wouldn’t have questioned it or corrected you for a second if you just said “I don’t believe the US,” instead of making a false statement.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
can we end the slapfight

the us government is officially saying russia is buying north korean ammo. it is not some nyt quoting unnamed officials to make stuff up.

however, it could be the us government making stuff up, just without trying to launder it through some journalists

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
the hot new RTS, Company of Leopards

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

are we really drawing distinctions between the nyt and the USA government.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

OctaMurk posted:

can we end the slapfight

the us government is officially saying russia is buying north korean ammo. it is not some nyt quoting unnamed officials to make stuff up.

however, it could be the us government making stuff up, just without trying to launder it through some journalists

The point is to try to kill the thread by tying up each post in legalese.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Ardennes posted:

The point is to try to kill the thread by tying up each post in legalese.

i think if people disagree with mlmp08 they can just say no i dont think thats true and move on

in this case people just talked past each other without actually disagreeing with mlmp08

mlmp08: the us government said russia is buying nk artillery shells

animeistrash: wrong, john kirby (us government spokesman) said russia is buying nk artillery shells

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

OctaMurk posted:

i think if people disagree with mlmp08 they can just say no i dont think thats true and move on

in this case people just talked past each other without actually disagreeing with mlmp08

animeistrash: wrong, john kirby (us government spokesman) said russia is buying nk artillery shells

unreal

iCe-CuBe.
Jun 9, 2011
Zelensky was so freaking epic at the Golden Globes this year. Did anybody else see that? He was like an action movie hero lol. And also, he was like "this isnt a trilogy".

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
holy poo poo the last two pages were arguments with a pedantic nerd.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

mlmp08 posted:

I don't know how much these 4 oblasts Russia really, truly expects to keep (They've been vague about where Russia begins after declaring the oblasts annexed by name but not giving clean boundaries). Russia previously said they have no preconditions to talking with Ukraine, but then said that of course they wouldn't give Russian territory to Ukraine (after declaring four Ukrainian oblasts to be Russia). So it's less "zero preconditions" and more "zero preconditions except obviously this huge contentious one I am assuming I get to keep."

how much of those oblasts do you really, truly expect the ukrainian government to be able to reconquer then? i don't think either side expects the other to be willing to negotiate about anything for now, which is why you're seeing these kinds of impossible demands, nobody thinks the war is going to end any time soon. ukraine (unrealistically, imho) expects to reconquer much more than they currently hold, and the russians expect the UAF to make another go for it before summer, and it makes sense for the RAF to let the ukrainians sausage another reserve class or ten in the grinder before they feel confident that the reality of the battlefield has been established, and they have their turn at counter attacking kherson. we all just wanna turn the handle, while there's still this mountain of pristine meat sitting on the intake

lollontee has issued a correction as of 15:57 on Jan 11, 2023

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

OctaMurk posted:

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Al-Saqr Doomerism: charming, funny, makes you feel things
mlmp08 arguing: charmless, unfunny, makes your eyes glaze over.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

iCe-CuBe. posted:

Zelensky was so freaking epic at the Golden Globes this year. Did anybody else see that? He was like an action movie hero lol. And also, he was like "this isnt a trilogy".

Ukrainians are like those Japanese troops that were stuck on islands and didn't know the war was over until the early 70s, since nobody told them the Nazis lost this is technically still WWII

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Lord of Pie posted:

Ukrainians are like those Japanese troops that were stuck on islands and didn't know the war was over until the early 70s, since nobody told them the Nazis lost this is technically still WWII

Wrong! They are all devout hindus and viking enthusiasts.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Homeless Friend posted:

Honorable Ambassador to Ukraine, Rommel Adolf Hitler Bautista

iCe-CuBe.
Jun 9, 2011

Lord of Pie posted:

Uh... yikes. :yikes: Did you just categorically group all Ukrainians together as fascist Japanese invaders? Mods, can you please look at this post for me? Wait, I didn't mean to categorically say that all Japanese soldiers were fascists, I bet some of them were nice Communists who ideologically agree with me in every way

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

iCe-CuBe. posted:

Uh... yikes. :yikes: Did you just categorically group all Ukrainians together as fascist Japanese invaders? Mods, can you please look at this post for me? Wait, I didn't mean to categorically say that all Japanese soldiers were fascists, I bet some of them were nice Communists who ideologically agree with me in every way

what

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

one weird trick for not having to follow through on your commitments, ukrainians hate it!

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

the nation of Ukraine—its people famously exempted, no probe—is a piece of loving poo poo

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

the nation of Ukraine—its people famously exempted, no probe—is a piece of loving poo poo

At least in a material and administrative sense, yeah things aren’t going real well. There are a lot of Ukrainians just trying to keep their head down at this point or fleeing abroad, arguably most.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/Horesmi/status/1612847699014963201

Not sure if this got mentioned, also funny tweet haha. Honestly not as deranged as others on the topic.

Lots of people trying to read the tea leaves here, some say it's just promotion to a do nothing job, others are trying to find some kind of conspiratorial message about fractional infighting.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

OctaMurk posted:

:wrong:

mlmp08 posted:

It is kind of darkly funny that Russia is buying artillery ammunition from North Korea in order to replenish Russian stocks

mlmp08 posted:

I recognize that North Korea denies that they have shipped any weapons to Russian forces.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/WarMonitors/status/1613198304459821061

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Lostconfused posted:

https://twitter.com/Horesmi/status/1612847699014963201

Not sure if this got mentioned, also funny tweet haha. Honestly not as deranged as others on the topic.

Lots of people trying to read the tea leaves here, some say it's just promotion to a do nothing job, others are trying to find some kind of conspiratorial message about fractional infighting.

It is actually okay to withdraw from positions sometimes (that goes for both sides).

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Ardennes posted:

It is actually okay to withdraw from positions sometimes (that goes for both sides).

The Russians were mocking him for not organizing any sort of defense in Kharkiv.

Which could have been entirely out of his control too, Girkin said that it wasn't even his fault when it happened. Of course Girkin now flip flopped and is blaming him for all of it because he can't just help himself and has to keep whining about everything.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Ardennes posted:

Actually you need to die horribly when you get cut offed because you are worth more as a sob story to get a few more leopards than as a cripple collecting disability

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Lostconfused posted:

The Russians were mocking him for not organizing any sort of defense in Kharkiv.

Which could have been entirely out of his control too, Girkin said that it wasn't even his fault when it happened. Of course Girkin now flip flopped and is blaming him for all of it because he can't just help himself and has to keep whining about everything.

It may have only been the only viable course of action with the troops available, also Lyman fought until it was in danger of encirclement. It seemed ridiculous at the time but with hindsight you could see why it probably needed to happen at that point.

Also, yeah social media bitching turns out not to mean much.

(Also Girkin’s analysis seems to depend on his greater aspirations at the time whenever he decides to post.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Ardennes posted:

NO, NOT ONE STEP BACK!!