Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrainDamage
Aug 24, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

that money :stare: congrats

It doesn’t make any sense. My reserve was $28.5K, and the retail value on comps online is maybe $33K — and that’s with no 4.5% fee!! I’ll actually believe it when I have a cashiers check in hand sometime next week…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Just about to leave for a few day's road trip round Yorkshire to see some sights. Either this will be a faultless journey full of fun orrrrr a potential nightmare considering the car has only really been on short trips here and there for the last week or so.

Place your bets.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I'm miata shopping so I have something to get around in while my wife is at work that isn't a motorcycle, can I post craigslist ads here

https://humboldt.craigslist.org/cto/7571557040.html

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

A MIRACLE posted:

I'm miata shopping so I have something to get around in while my wife is at work that isn't a motorcycle, can I post craigslist ads here

https://humboldt.craigslist.org/cto/7571557040.html

Factory hard top is worth 1500-2000 depending on condition.
I'd check the metal behind those side skirts to make sure they're not hiding rocker panel rust. That thing looks pretty clen and well taken care of I would buy for 5500 americabux
edit: provided they dont' ask you to provide any google codes, or pay for a driver etc etc.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jan 3, 2023

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Anybody’s trunk release button under the dash just quit working? The button on the lid still works.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
I'm retrofitting OEM cruise control into my NB (2001 if it matters) and trying to find out if the fog light switch has a ground or switched hot I can make pull double duty instead of running new wires. There doesn't seem to be a pinout diagram anywhere that just lists what each wire does, the fog light diagram doesn't seem to show what the R/B or GR/Y wires go to, and the cruise control diagram seems to show R/B going from the cruise control module to "Data Link Connector" which doesn't sound right since its in the fog light only connector.

I'm not really expecting help, I just wanted to rant. While I'm on the subject though, holy hell do I hate every car forum that isn't this one. Every thread on every car forum basically goes Question --> "Try using the Search button, idiot" --> "I solved your problem in a different thread" --> *Posts link to other thread that either doesn't answer the question or needs to follow at least one other link*

tactlessbastard posted:

Anybody’s trunk release button under the dash just quit working? The button on the lid still works.
I don't know what generation car you have, but sometimes I need to work the lever in my center console a bit before it will release the trunk. Probably doesn't help you though.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
will most likely be an official member of the cult tomorrow evening

found a 2020 RF GT in black, 10k mi, still smells new and paint has no chips or scratches.

i test drove a red '23 today and man they're fun cars. i think the red is a bit much for me personally though, i ended up liking the black one better.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Jonny 290 posted:

found a 2020 RF GT in black, 10k mi, still smells new and paint has no chips or scratches.

i test drove a red '23 today and man they're fun cars. i think the red is a bit much for me personally though, i ended up liking the black one better.

One of us. One of us. One of us.

(My black '21 RF is covered in water spots and dirt... I need to wash it. But I still want a vinyl wrap)

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Black RFs look good as hell, congrats in advance

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!

Jonny 290 posted:

:getin:

Having never owned a fun car before this, it's been a total game changer. I get excited driving absolutely anywhere/everywhere, it's such a joy to drive this thing every single drat time. Congrats in advance, and make sure to post pics once you get it. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do mine!

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Cat Hatter posted:

I'm retrofitting OEM cruise control into my NB (2001 if it matters) and trying to find out if the fog light switch has a ground or switched hot I can make pull double duty instead of running new wires. There doesn't seem to be a pinout diagram anywhere that just lists what each wire does, the fog light diagram doesn't seem to show what the R/B or GR/Y wires go to, and the cruise control diagram seems to show R/B going from the cruise control module to "Data Link Connector" which doesn't sound right since its in the fog light only connector.

I'm not really expecting help, I just wanted to rant. While I'm on the subject though, holy hell do I hate every car forum that isn't this one. Every thread on every car forum basically goes Question --> "Try using the Search button, idiot" --> "I solved your problem in a different thread" --> *Posts link to other thread that either doesn't answer the question or needs to follow at least one other link*

I don't know what generation car you have, but sometimes I need to work the lever in my center console a bit before it will release the trunk. Probably doesn't help you though.

Mines an NC, as far as I can tell there is no physical trunk release at all. Just the button under the trunk lip, and the button under the dash.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice
My NC trunk release button on the dash stopped working as well, I think there's a way to turn it on or off, but I can't remember how.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
cult is now officially +1

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Jonny 290 posted:

Beautiful!

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

GOD IS BED posted:

My NC trunk release button on the dash stopped working as well, I think there's a way to turn it on or off, but I can't remember how.

Valet button in the trunk :doh:

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice

tactlessbastard posted:

Valet button in the trunk :doh:

Ah sweet, thanks! I forget the button is there and think it's just a light switch.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Cat Hatter posted:

Looks like both wires I need go into the Door Lock Control Module connector and I can splice into them there. Maybe in the future I'll look into adding electronic locks. One thing at a time though.

So far I'm liking this "work on your car while its in off-season storage" thing. Only problem is going to be waiting until I can test it since I promised the car I would keep it away from road salt when I moved away from the south.

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Jonny 290 posted:

:nice:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Initial morning-after reviews:

* No sinking pit of regret when I woke up
* literally the best shifter i've ever touched. several times i thought i only got it down to neutral from 1 or 3, but was actually already in 2/4
* stereo is insane for some reason? Really good, hahah
* Power is just right, any less and it'd be a waste of a pretty car, any more and i'd waste the pretty car. And i'm at 5k-6k elevation here so it's down 20hp, i bet it's even yippier down at sea level.

Now thinking of money to spend on it. Dash cams are hot these days eh? Seems wise.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!

Jonny 290 posted:

:krad:

As far as stuff to spend money on, I'm really digging the roof controller I added last month.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Jonny 290 posted:

Initial morning-after reviews:

* No sinking pit of regret when I woke up
* literally the best shifter i've ever touched. several times i thought i only got it down to neutral from 1 or 3, but was actually already in 2/4
* stereo is insane for some reason? Really good, hahah
* Power is just right, any less and it'd be a waste of a pretty car, any more and i'd waste the pretty car. And i'm at 5k-6k elevation here so it's down 20hp, i bet it's even yippier down at sea level.

Now thinking of money to spend on it. Dash cams are hot these days eh? Seems wise.

reversefungi posted:

:krad:

As far as stuff to spend money on, I'm really digging the roof controller I added last month.

Roof controller is a nice quality of life thing.

I bought this phone mount, and used some 3m double sided tape to fasten a magnetic mount to it. It keeps my phone from sliding around when I have it plugged in for android auto.
https://www.rspeed.net/miata_cell_phone_mount_p/nd0-3159.htm

I bought the 3d Maxpider floor mats. I believe I found a coupon code for this website when I put in my order.
https://www.autoanything.com/floor-mats/3d-maxpider-kagu-floor-mats

I also bought the all-weather trunk liner and bungy cord organizer:
https://mossmiata.com/factory-all-weather-mats-trunk-liner
https://mossmiata.com/cargo-nets

I use the cargo net when I order takeout or get something else that I don't want rolling around or spilling. It comes in handy.

I keep a air compressor and battery jump starter in the trunk, although the fact that you probably can't pop the trunk easily with a dead battery probably means that won't work, but there really isn't a lot of storage space in the cabin to stow my jump starter, so I'm not sure where else to keep it.

Stubby antenna and engine noise tube delete are other less functional things you can buy if you like

Also, I only learned this a few weeks ago, after a year of ownership, but there is a hidden button to the right of the license plate light to pop the trunk without the key. If you double tap it I believe it will lock the doors.

If you pop the trunk open before leaving the car, the walk-away mechanism will not lock the doors.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Spend money on track days

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Hell yeah. thanks!

First $ thrown at it - ordered a Viofo A129 Duo dash cam with the harness and a well-regarded fuse tap kit, and a stubby AM/FM. Just need it to listen to traffic now that i have ~~~ caaaar plaaaaay ~~~~

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

Hell yeah. thanks!

First $ thrown at it - ordered a Viofo A129 Duo dash cam with the harness and a well-regarded fuse tap kit, and a stubby AM/FM. Just need it to listen to traffic now that i have ~~~ caaaar plaaaaay ~~~~

Mx5 things sells a harness to power the camera from the rear view mirror

https://mx5things.com/collections/mazda-mx-5-rf/products/cable-for-plug-n-play-installation-blackvue-dashcam

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

that's like 3000 times nicer, perfect

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I noticed that the new club models are "direct order only", is that a new thing? I see a 2022 club on the lot near me

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Would this work with any homelink rearview mirror? I assume it would? I had thought in the past about splicing a dashcam into the homelink wiring harness but never had the courage. The power/cable routing is what has stopped me from putting one in my personal car so far.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

Hell yeah. thanks!

Does the duo have a rear camera? How do you wire that in? Does it get power from the front camera?

I'm very annoyed that The ND2 doesn't have wireless android auto. The barebones Hyundai hatch i rented in Vancouver had wireless AA.

MetaJew fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jan 7, 2023

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!

MetaJew posted:

Does the duo have a rear camera? How do you wire that in? Does it get power from the front camera?

I'm very annoyed that The ND2 doesn't have wireless android auto. The barebones Hyundai hatch i rented in Vancouver had wireless AA.

I remember watching this video that explained how the rear camera installation works: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRFn2yHeopc I'm lazy and only got a front dash cam though :shrug:

As far as wireless AA goes, the 'rents got me a carsifi adapter for xmas and that has been working pretty decently so far, although I did have it drop out on a longer drive the other day. Curious if there are better adapters out there.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Yeah the rears just have a cable to the rear so it's tuck-under-trim time. no big deal for me

Next challenge: I got a stubby on the way for am/fm but i'm thinking of repurposing the shark fin antenna's hole for a VHF ham antenna and putting a little radio in it. I'll have to dig and see if I can find the hole dimensions; i have a suspicion I can just use a regular through hole NMO mount, though I do want to be careful and use a small antenna so I don't bend the aluminum.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Dash cam installed, front and rear. All wires completely hidden; pulled switched 12v off fuse 5, constant off fuse 9.

Got a copyright claim on the video so i reckon the mic is good, eh

1440p's pretty nice actually

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruRSbjvoKF4

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

This white NA has been parking next to me at work. Sadly I have not crossed paths with its owner.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Have any ND owners purchased the Ankha large windscreen?

https://ankhasport.com/products/wind-deflector

I'm curious if it would improve noise levels in the RF, with the top down over the OE windscreen.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
T+10 days i love it more every day

i got a wash setup (two buckets, two pump up garden sprayers cause i don't have a hose) and it easily does the whole car with water leftover

Hit it with some of that spray on buff off """ ceramic nanoparticle """ stuff, put a decent shine on it

took er up to lookout mountain west of Denver. lol, curvy 25mph stuff is so fun and you don't even really have to be going that fast to enjoy it

Got the clutch and shifter figured out, my rev match is good now. Haven't stalled it yet!

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

NDs are so easy to rev match it's almost ridiculous. Like the perfect throttle response/tip in where I get it within ~100rpm every time. Love it.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
I spend too much time looking at fun parts for my Miata-- but the cedar pollen outside means I'm barely leaving the house and I'm definitely not lowering the top.

I was looking up how much it would cost to do a track day in my RF at COTA, and there is an "intro" event in March that seems sort of reasonable. $365 for two 30 minute sessions with an instructor. It's certainly more expensive per minute than the track days I've done on a motorcycle at COTA, but doing it in the miata could be fun.

Introduction to Performance Driving March 4, 2023

The issue with the RF is that there doesn't appear possible to put a roll bar in it that still allows the roof to be operated, and a fixed roof is a dealbreaker. While I don't think roll hoops satisfy the requirement for a roll bar, I am curious if these would be compatible in the RF. The listing doesn't mention it at all.

https://auroraautodesign.com/products/aurora-auto-design-roadster-hoops-nd-miata-fiat-124

I have a feeling I already know the answer to the question-- and no, these track day groups probably won't allow the RF to be driven without a roll bar, but I guess it doesn't hurt to ask them. With that said, it seems like the targa top Corvettes are allowed to enter these events, and I don't think those are equipped with a roll hoop from the factory.

MetaJew fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Jan 16, 2023

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Just narrowly avoided getting pancaked on the M1 about half an hour ago. Traffic out of London is always shite (it had been stop and start for about 15 minutes at this point) and I was sat in Lane 3 of 4 doing about 20mph when I notice some headlights in my wing mirror fast approaching the truck sat in lane 2 next to me. Low and behold a fuckawful crashing noise and the truck next to me shunts forward. Then out of nowhere a truck (no idea what hit my buddy next to me) comes rattling round in front of me and crashes into the barrier in lane 4 coming to a stop.

Quite who wasn't paying attention I dunno but holy gently caress.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
I have come to terms with the fact my car is invisible to SUVs and brodozers and have adjusted my driving accordingly.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

10K for an NB crazy? https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/ctd/d/2000-mazda-miata-ls-speed-abs-70k-low/7579343815.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Truck in the UK meaning an 18-wheeler or box truck, or truck like an F150?

Either way that's scary. Glad you weren't hurt.

I once got stuck behind a stalled metro bus on I-45 in Houston and traffic on either side was going 65+ mph. No one would yield and let me get out from behind the bus. At one point I saw an 18 wheeler coming at me in my rear view mirror and swerve around at what felt like the last minute. Very spooky as I was in my 240sx and probably would've been killed had they hit me.