Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

It looks to be as I expected: the seasonal cards dropping one series per month. I also expected Panther and Shuri to drop together, and it makes sense for Bast to drop with them. I would guess that M'Baku will drop to S3 when they all do. I did expect the SHIELD cards to drop to S3 first, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Yeah, nice to see the actual good S4 cards moving to S3 rather than the garbo ones.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Why have people been talking about Darkhawk as OP? As someone who pulled him randomly but has never played against him or seen much utility for him outside of Mr Negative decks, I’d be interested to know.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

team overhead smash posted:

Why have people been talking about Darkhawk as OP? As someone who pulled him randomly but has never played against him or seen much utility for him outside of Mr Negative decks, I’d be interested to know.

He's almost always at least 4/9 and combined with Widow, Rockslide or a number of locations he's even bigger. Just a very, very efficient card, even before factoring in that he benefits from Zabu.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Darkhawk is still shut down by Enchantress and Shang Chi. Hell, he's shut down by Adam Warlock. Him being a 4 drop is poo poo.

Wong is an instant retreat for me. Even if I manage to shut him down, it usually means a White Tiger+Odin combo is coming.

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

a 4 drop that can easily be 15+ power alongside Korg/Rockslide/BW right when another card that halves the cost of 4 drops releases - seems pretty straightforward to me

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Walla posted:

Darkhawk is still shut down by Enchantress and Shang Chi. Hell, he's shut down by Adam Warlock. Him being a 4 drop is poo poo.

Wong is an instant retreat for me. Even if I manage to shut him down, it usually means a White Tiger+Odin combo is coming.
He's not you just play him on 6 with two other four drops. Him being a 4 drop (Zabu) is exactly why he's top 5 cards in the game. The idea that Darkhawk is easy to shut down but Wong is instant retreat suggests we are playing different games.

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

Devil Dino also gets smoked by Enchantress and Shang Chi and that doesn’t stop it from being one of the best cards in the game

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

double negative posted:

Devil Dino also gets smoked by Enchantress and Shang Chi and that doesn’t stop it from being one of the best cards in the game

No, no, all cards are bad because they have counters.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I think calling anything a counter to a unit you play for 2 energy + 13 power isn't accurate. Pre-Zabu cosmo absolutely countered wong because if you drew it you win you bricked their turn 4 and their turn 5 it's game over.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Jan 11, 2023

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:

Jedit posted:

He's almost always at least 4/9 and combined with Widow, Rockslide or a number of locations he's even bigger. Just a very, very efficient card, even before factoring in that he benefits from Zabu.

4/7 I believe as in a standard game you’d be left with 3 cards in hand. You can get him bigger if you build a deck around him but even if you get him to 4/16 or something by using Korg, Black Widow and Rockslide that doesn’t seem more impressive than the numbers you can get building around other cards (e.g Wong, BP, Zola will get you at least 64 power on the board spread across two lanes while Shuri - Red Skull - Taskmaster gets you 60 odd power) so it was the way he was being called out especially that puzzled me.

With Zabu yes he becomes very good value, but that’s more of a Zabu thing than a Darkhawk thing imo.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

With Zabu yes he becomes very good value, but that’s more of a Zabu thing than a Darkhawk thing imo.
Yeah you can just replace him with any other 4 energy 13 power unit.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

No Wave posted:

He's not you just play him on 6 with two other four drops. Him being a 4 drop (Zabu) is exactly why he's top 5 cards in the game. The idea that Darkhawk is easy to shut down but Wong is instant retreat suggests we are playing different games.

No it doesn't. It means you've been playing since beta and I have less than a month. We have different metas to bitch about. I don't see Darkhawk often, but Wong is every third deck and I don't yet have all the tools to counter him.

And when I do see Darkhawk I usually outscale him with Dracula and Strong Guy+Abomination, because I'm typically playing a dump deck.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Walla posted:

No it doesn't. It means you've been playing since beta and I have less than a month. We have different metas to bitch about. I don't see Darkhawk often, but Wong is every third deck and I don't yet have all the tools to counter him.

And when I do see Darkhawk I usually outscale him with Dracula and Strong Guy+Abomination, because I'm typically playing a dump deck.
I have not been playing since beta lol, but I have been playing since October. At low CL I guess you kind of just have to draw cosmo.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jan 11, 2023

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Walla posted:

My favorite thing to do as soon as I see Wong played is then place a Rogue

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

Jedit posted:

No, no, all cards are bad because they have counters.

New thread title

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
These degenerate locations are pretty fun when your deck that is exclusively built to take advantage of it comes together.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

kaschei posted:

Cerebro3 really feels like "silver surfer, but worse"
. Too much fucks with power, scorpion is almost an instant retreat and locations can just destroy your main win condition. Brood's existence means you can't even be functionally wider than the SS decks. About the only thing that works is putting cosmo down in front of SS but it's hard keeping priority around a deck that can play brood, Mr Fantastic, and Maximus while you are trying to make sure none of the locations remain intrinsically hateful to your deck.

You just have to dream bigger and play a deck that can play Cerebro AND Surfer. It was fun as hell but extremely finicky, maybe I'll go back to it soon

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Protip posted:

Has anyone else encountered a visual bug with Alter of Death where a card will be destroyed, disappear, but then reappears as if it wasn't destroyed?

Happened to me when an opponent played Iron Fist on it. Was very odd as they played another card there which then went "behind" the ghost Iron Fist.

Would also agree they could have worded the location better. When I first read it I thought you would be presented with some kind of an option to destroy the card to get the 2 energy and you could choose not too, instead of the actual way it works of "when you play a card here, it gets destroyed & you gain +2 energy next turn". I suppose there is a character/word limit to what they can fit into locations.

A location giving you a choice when you play into it would be an interesting additional mechanic, but as I think about it probably would slow the game down too much as a possible extra decision step every turn.

Same thing happened to me. It was iron fist as well so must be a bug with that card.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
"Oh this new featured location looks very fun with a Death deck. I should try that"

*loses 10 cubes learning deck, never sees location*

Time to be a spoil sport and just STORM that bitch

the_american_dream fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jan 11, 2023

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

the_american_dream posted:

"Oh this new featured location looks very fun with a Death deck. I should try that"

*loses 10 cubes learning deck, never sees location*

Time to be a spoil sport and just STORM that bitch

I just drop Armor on it.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Push El Burrito posted:

I just drop Armor on it.

I've encountered several people playing Professor X too. Probably a bit risky unless you sacrificed Bucky Barnes earlier on.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

achillesforever6 posted:

My favorite thing to do as soon as I see Wong played is then place a Rogue

I don't have Rogue. Or Mystique, Absorbing Man or Spider Man. I have Goose and all the tools of Pool 2. ;)

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Location is fun but they sure are putting in a lot of uneccessary games where you have nowhere to play at all which seems kind of dumb?

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Did this and was robbed of a minute something of Zola multiplying and Venoms eating because the game now includes a "fast forwards" feature. It skips through all that. I bet they fixed dropped Odin on Bar Sinister too.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I am kind of struck by how niche/weird MODOK (next season pass card, 5/8 on reveal discard your hand) is compared to surfer and Zabu. You can turn morbius dino-sized which is pretty funny and you can fish for the incredible invisible woman -> wave -> hela -> modok curve. Alomgside the downgrades it gives me some hope that this season will be the peak pay to win season at least for a while.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
Wong, at least pre-Zabu, loses to early pool cards Enchantress and Cosmo. That’s assuming you have priority. Most cards that counter him from Pool 3+ also need priority going into turn 5.

I didn’t lose to Wong very often in early pool three, and I attribute that to always running either Cosmo or Enchantress.

If I didn’t have the counter and they snapped, then I retreated. That felt much better than being dumped on T6 by a Death deck.

I genuinely thought Wong was a bit of a trap in that I so rarely saw him pop off on me and even skipped him in the Token shop.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Tilted as hell right now. Played Colleen Wing (given to me by a location), and opponent played Wave. Colleen proceeded to discard Destroyer, which was now the "lowest cost card in my hand", instead of Bucky Barnes which I'd planned.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

JackDarko posted:

Wong, at least pre-Zabu, loses to early pool cards Enchantress and Cosmo. That’s assuming you have priority. Most cards that counter him from Pool 3+ also need priority going into turn 5.

I didn’t lose to Wong very often in early pool three, and I attribute that to always running either Cosmo or Enchantress.

If I didn’t have the counter and they snapped, then I retreated. That felt much better than being dumped on T6 by a Death deck.

I genuinely thought Wong was a bit of a trap in that I so rarely saw him pop off on me and even skipped him in the Token shop.

I lose to Wong all the time, but then again I almost never run Enchantress and Cosmo even less. Unless I have the complete and utter nuts, I have to assume that I'm going to lose very, very badly. I might stay for one cube, but honestly that's probably a mistake and I should retreat every time.

Same with not winning the Raft. Just retreat, it's not worth it.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Just had someone play 2 1 drops on the new location on turn 2 followed by Galactus T3 and then Spider-man then Abs Man. Great job dude. gently caress you.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Lol what are the odds that you lockjaw QS who pulls out Jubilee who then pulls QS back

RevKrule posted:

Just had someone play 2 1 drops on the new location on turn 2 followed by Galactus T3 and then Spider-man then Abs Man. Great job dude. gently caress you.

every time i start feeling bad about running Leech or Storm/Juggs I see this poo poo and feel ok!

Setec_Astronomy
Mar 10, 2003

there's nothing wrong with you that an expensive operation can't prolong

JackDarko posted:

Wong definitely seemed terrible pre-Zabu. Post-Zabu, Wong feels pretty busted, at least in the Surfer decks where I've been playing him. Having multiple cards (namely Zabu and Sera) that enable Wong + Surfer on turn 6 makes Wong much less vulnerable to counterplay.

If you get both Zabu and Sera into play, Wong + Mystique + Surfer is a really, really nasty Turn 6. It loses to Cosmo if your opponent has priority but other than that (or a preemptive Leech) it's tough to disrupt.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

RevKrule posted:

On degenerate locations like this you need to be running a deck that takes full advantage of it. Embrace the madness.

cirus
Apr 5, 2011

Setec_Astronomy posted:

Wong definitely seemed terrible pre-Zabu. Post-Zabu, Wong feels pretty busted, at least in the Surfer decks where I've been playing him. Having multiple cards (namely Zabu and Sera) that enable Wong + Surfer on turn 6 makes Wong much less vulnerable to counterplay.

If you get both Zabu and Sera into play, Wong + Mystique + Surfer is a really, really nasty Turn 6. It loses to Cosmo if your opponent has priority but other than that (or a preemptive Leech) it's tough to disrupt.

I just added new Leader into my Negative Surfer deck. If I get Negative out I can play Surfer and Leader on 6

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:

No Wave posted:

Yeah you can just replace him with any other 4 energy 13 power unit.

He averages 4/7. If you put effort into setting him up you can get 4/13 if you pull the cards needed to boost him, but taking those cards takes up a fair portion of your deck without giving you the level of power that I’d normally expect from playing several synergetic cards e.g Wong > BP > Zola. He’s fine and I use him in my Negative deck but as people were talking about him as one of the most Op cards across a few days ages I wondered if there was anything more to him then tends to have decent power for a four drop, can with set-up be more powerful and synergise with Zabu.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

He doesnt average 4/7. He averages 4/11 in decks you play him in. He is 4/7 with zero setup. Wong BP Zola is the power ceiling for ultra-fragile combos, if it goes off you win this is not comparable to playing rockslide two turns ago.

Being one of the disruption resistant stat ceilings in this game is a really big deal. Stats are good. It means that if a darkhawk zabu player faces a non-darkhawk zabu player they are default favored. Like if we both agree that Zabu decks with darkhawk are much better than hawkless zabu decks I dont understand what we are discussing.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jan 11, 2023

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard
Deja Vu. The day they add new bundles I lose my first 8 matches in a row. Pure coincidence I am sure :allears:
e: complaining helps, won 3 of the next 4 matches.

Mr.PayDay fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jan 11, 2023

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
i mean, yes?

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

He averages 4/7. If you put effort into setting him up you can get 4/13 if you pull the cards needed to boost him, but taking those cards takes up a fair portion of your deck without giving you the level of power that I’d normally expect from playing several synergetic cards e.g Wong > BP > Zola.

Those other cards can be played in any order, making Blackhawk substantially less fragile than Wong BP Zola which requires those be cards drawn and played in a specific order that is extremely telegraphed and easy to disrupt. Just as Devil Dino is powerful because it's agnostic about how you keep your hand big, Blackhawk is happy with a number of different ways you could clog up your opponent's deck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Galactus is just a dumb loving card, he was fine as a lol random option but now that people can buy him he's just stupid. "The rest of the match to this point is irrelevant and one player knew to set up for this and has answers in hand" just feels bad to run into, and "the opponent has one empty site on Turn 3 or 4" is not a unique enough situation that you can reasonably see it coming.