Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Is 300k what's considered an "affordable" home now. Is this like "access to affordable healthcare"

Ten years ago you could buy a starter home in my town for about $120,000. Last year there were zero houses available for less than $250,000. We're not in the middle of nowhere, but we are nowhere adjacent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name
Driving should be expensive, miserable and terrifying, so that people would need to make real loving sure they need to do it before embarking on such a destructive endeavour.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

SimonSays posted:

Driving should be expensive, miserable and terrifying

Good news!

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Houston (and Tampa, for that matter) is a total shithole and it's extremely entertaining that the dumbest people in the world are convincing themselves to move there.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Gonna be the ocean's biggest city soon if they keep paving over the floodplains

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/willnorman/status/1612758523599015937

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

there's a class of people that drive their range rovers 1 km to park on new bond street and it makes me very angry!

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

lobster shirt posted:

i would definitely live in a denser part of houston (lmao) if it was affordable to do so, unfortunately even a 1200 sqft bungalow is like a million dollars now

i know it's :patriot: etc but "denser" must be used in a very relative sense when referring to a 1200 sqft bungalow. It's still not going to be super walkable!

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

lobster shirt posted:

oh there are still plenty of affordable homes - i just looked on zillow and saw a 4/4 3k sqft house going for 300k - but you have live in the middle of loving nowhere and drive everywhere

that's a big loving house

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

It's weird to think of Houston as the 4th largest city of the US. It really doesn't compare to NY City, Chicago, or LA.

Because it's not a city, it's a highway interchange with suburbs

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

that's a big loving house

Gotta have a place to put all that stuff you keep buying. :homebrew:

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Loucks posted:

Gotta have a place to put all that stuff you keep buying. :homebrew:

Loucks
May 21, 2007

Storage units are for when you’ve filled up your current house and can’t afford a bigger one.

Or for living in because you can’t even afford an apartment.

Apr 7, 2003

If I were an alien observing the United States I'd come to the conclusion that the purpose of American societies is to worship cars and accumulate worthless tokens

mystes
May 31, 2006

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

If I were an alien observing the United States I'd come to the conclusion that the purpose of American societies is to worship cars and accumulate worthless tokens
I mean yes that is the purpose

Apr 7, 2003

quote:

FREEDOM, Pa. — The coroner was called to a vehicle vs. pedestrian accident in Beaver County, 911 dispatchers tell Channel 11.

Boy is that some fuckin phrasing

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

vehicle vs. pedestrian

FIGHT!!!

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Drivers and cops always getting the passive voice lmfao

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

lol that EV chargers are now soaking up a bunch of our state transportation budget. Can't stop spending on cars. Have to come up with new ways.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Lib and let die posted:

Drivers and cops always getting the passive voice lmfao

A car-involved squishing

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

A car-involved squishing

i always hate reading poo poo like "when a vehicle collided with a pedestrian" how about "when a vehicle operated by a person with agency smashed the gently caress into a person in the crosswalk" instead

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
use elementary school teacher accountability phrasing

"the driver chose to ram the pedestrian"

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
there's an intersection near my house that should be a 4-way stop and, god as my witness, i am going to make it a 4-way stop

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.

Greg12 posted:

use elementary school teacher accountability phrasing

"the driver chose to ram the pedestrian"

FSD isn't bad, it just made a bad choice

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

watching from orbit you'd think cars were the dominant species of the planet

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Clark Nova posted:

it’s still green enough from above that one would think trees would be, imo

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

That assumption is why Ford Prefect in the Hitchhikers Guide chose the name he did to blend in

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Chicago was really the second most congested in the world? Above LA, Seattle, Atlanta, Houston, DC, etc.?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

its probably expressways more than surface streets in chicago

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Just a nasty accident!

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Maybe they aren't counting metro areas? Atlanta proper isn't that bad. It's the sprawl outside of the city that's a nightmare. E.g., Only a few miles of 285 fall inside the city limits.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

actionjackson posted:

Chicago was really the second most congested in the world? Above LA, Seattle, Atlanta, Houston, DC, etc.?

There's a stretch of road between O'Hare and the western edge of downtown that's just simply horrifying to look at from afar, let alone drive on. It's like 14 lanes and it's always packed full of cars almost bumper-to-bumper.

I really dislike driving through Chicago and will avoid it if possible, just really stressful trying to go through it with 18-wheelers surrounding you at 75 mph and weaving up and down these skinny aerial ramps.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

I thought this thread might like this

https://twitter.com/briebriejoy/status/1613072741250527234

Apr 7, 2003

About two decades ago there was a to-do about some guy leaving his garage door open with a purse in plain view, who shot the first person to come into his boobytrap to take the bait. Guy went to jail.

Wonder how that'd play out in 2022.

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

Clark Nova posted:

https://youtu.be/wFaHArkYLsM

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Lib and let die posted:

I thought this thread might like this

Jesus Christ, is this show always like this? The guy on the right is an imbecile.

About two decades ago there was a to-do about some guy leaving his garage door open with a purse in plain view, who shot the first person to come into his boobytrap to take the bait. Guy went to jail.

Wasn't there a case where a guy boobytrapped his house and laid in wait with a shotgun and killed two children, and was convicted? I can't remember any more details than that.

There was also the guy who called 911 about his neighbour's house being broken into, and despite the dispatcher's pleas, went outside and murdered both robbers. He was cleared and the town he lived in had a big party about it, IIRC.

Mister Speaker has issued a correction as of 20:02 on Jan 11, 2023

Apr 7, 2003

"Vilgilantism gone wrong?" Vigilantism is illegal in all fifty loving states, it's wrong by definition

Loucks
May 21, 2007

Mister Speaker posted:

Wasn't there a case where a guy boobytrapped his house and laid in wait with a shotgun and killed two children, and was convicted? I can't remember any more details than that.

I remember this. The victims were Haile Kifer and Nicholas Brady.

I listened to the audio recording when it came out. Wish I hadn't.

e: It's relevant even, because the shooter parked his car down the street so the kids would think he wasn't home and break in.

Loucks has issued a correction as of 20:10 on Jan 11, 2023

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

I was expecting the Hitchhiker's guide scene where Ford tries to make contact by standing in the middle of the road.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

It would depend: was the person's car in the garage?

Anything is justifiable in defense of a car.